Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The finals are going to start soon. Doing you think that they will announce the last character after it is done?
Unless there's another Japanese Dev stream, these are the dates you should probably keep an eye on cause they're the replacement for Namco's World Tour.

BNEA-FGC-SCVI-HERO-1200x675-1.png

I wish we could still have stages with this level of detail. In hindsight, I like the SCIV stages (minus the SW ones and maybe the hungry lizardmen one) much better than the current ones. Not just from a design point of view, but also execution and resolution-wise.

Can someone elaborate on the technical aspects of why SCIV's textures and lightning looked so different?

I mean, look at the texture and the details of the floor. We don't have something like that in SCVI, one console generation later, right?
EgpLum0VgAAlO8D.jpg

Last edited:
I was just thinking how well project soul follows their own developmental material to establish the body type settings of their characters:

Concept Art / Developmental Material (the SC5 new comers are here as well)
EeVzXDaU8AAaxbw

Here's what we see in-game.
Female.Side.S2.jpg

Comments:
• Generally the body proportions at least follow their concept art's hierarchy, with the only difference being Hilde and Xianghua swapping places in-game.
• Its very difficult to figure out the difference between Sophitia and Taki, as they're really close. I'm sure with the help of any volunteers that are willing to examine with close scrutiny, we can get to the bottom of this very important topic
• Perhaps we'll need to investigate this facing frontally.
• In the meantime a comparison gif may help:

Heights.Female.S2.side.gif

Probably the "fighting game" style. Like street fjghter for example hands and feet are HUGE which especially noticeable with certain characters, so it's easier to follow their attacks in a way. Since the focus is on weapons+hands, the hands are bigger since they'll be in focus the most, plus larger hands gives a bit more flexibility. Xianghua doesn't particularly need them, not in particular does Amy really, but I digress. Probably a design choice I guess. Scalibur always had its own aesthetic and I guess that's just its thing. Maybe there just isn't a reason and xianghua just has smaller hands because handey wavey thing on her idle

I know some games have guns which are larger than they would be in real life and thus the characters hands are also larger so they can hold them without it looking weird. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing in SC to make the weapons stand out more.

On a similar note, that also reminds me of how some 3rd person games will have all NPCs and enemies be larger than the player character. I'm not completely sure why, but my guess is to make the enemies stand out more or as a kind of optical illusion to make the player character seem the same size from a distance.

Here's one quick example with Resident Evil 5 where you play as a tall, bulky guy so you'd think he'd be the biggest guy around.

From a distance, you could easily think the enemy is the same or smaller size than the main character:
21690_20200830153849_1.png

But if you walk up to him and stand next to him, then you realize he's very large compared to the main character, and this is the case with almost all enemies:
21690_20200830153858_1.png

This is harder to notice during normal gameplay as enemies are always trying to attack you so you can't exactly walk up to them and compare height (it's only possible during the very first level). One funny thing is that during grapple/throw moves in the game, the game will actually dynamically rescale the enemy to be smaller during those animations to make the enemy and the player the same scale.

So yeah, games sometimes do really bizarre stuff with character proportions.

Even though their hands are quite large, it will never be as bad as Tekken's hand size (especially Lili's... still having nightmares about being slapped by her "pans"...)

The finals are going to start soon. Doing you think that they will announce the last character after it is done?
I'm curious to know when they're gonna announce the last character as well. I agree with JayShadow about the online challenges being reasonable places for an announcement on that.
I shouldn't jump the gun this way, but really what I'd like to know is whether or not there will be a third season of DLC, given the financial struggles caused by the coronavirus lately. I hope we get a third season!!!
Do we have any hard data on sales, whereby we'd know how well season 2 has been selling?

I'm curious to know when they're gonna announce the last character as well. I agree with JayShadow about the online challenges being reasonable places for an announcement on that.
I shouldn't jump the gun this way, but really what I'd like to know is whether or not there will be a third season of DLC, given the financial struggles caused by the coronavirus lately. I hope we get a third season!!!
Do we have any hard data on sales, whereby we'd know how well season 2 has been selling?
No, unfortunately we don't have anything even remotely resembling first-party sales data (Namco rarely discloses such information on their titles during the sales life of a game--and indeed, this is an increasingly strong (though not ubiquitous) trend amongst publishers generally these days, where the game is not a pure platinum game take the industry by storm. All we have are some indirect measures and a whole lot of conjecture (which in this particular community tends to lean into optimism disconnected from any real evidence. We do of course know that the game was at least marginally successful enough to warrant a second season pass, but I'm not sure this tells us a whole lot, since 1) they make a larger proportion of net profit relative to cost of production on DLC, making it tempting to go out on a limb in such circumstances even when the install base for the peripheral software product is not huge, and 2) Namco, and all producers of fighting games, are clearly keen to seize this moment to establish the multiple season pass/continuing support model as the default for their games in this genre, so they might have invested in the second season pass even if it was going to show incredibly minimal profit (bearing in mind this decision was likely made at least a year before the pandemic).

As for prognostication, I remain cautiously optimistic. There is some cause for concern: most people, particularly in western markets, are oblivious to (or in deep denial about) just how bad the coming recession is going to be, but a company of the scale of Namco will not be, and may be planning on curtailing production somewhat. On the other hand, the gaming industry has (so far) proven to be somewhat resistant to the effects of that recession because of the obvious boost (at least initially) that results from people staying home. Now that is in all likelihood a sales bubble (no matter how bored they are at home, people cannot spend money they don't have if the recession hits hard, as it certainly will eventually), but it may still embolden companies enough to proceed with planned projects for now--particularly those which have already consumed some degree of development cost. Of course, we don't even know that Season 3 was planned at any point, let alone that initial design and development were/are under way, but I suspect at least some basic outlining had taken place even before the beginning of the pandemic. And then there's the fact that, as mentioned previously, a season pass has certain advantages in the profit-to-cost ratio (assuming there is enough buy-in, which does tend to tapper off the more DLC is available under the core product license--one assumes particularly so with an experimental new model).

Still, all factors taken together, I do think we're going to see a Season 3. But I wouldn't rate my confidence level as high.

Last edited:
Listen, coexistence is not the problem, i would like to see Natsu back but with another weapon or making her have moves so different than Taki that Natsu can be considered a character on her own. On the other hand making Pat, Pyrrha and Lexia reappear in the franchise would mean the replacement of some characters so no thnx. i do think that Pat's style could be given to someone else because he was fun to play.

Back