Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I finally managed to get my hands on the DLC and I'm pretty intrigued by everything new it's throwing at us. Hwang is fun to play. Certainly not a character I'll be maining or picking regularly but he feels good and unique, and I very much appreciate Color 3 resembling his original design (not realy a fan of his 'dark' look).

I'll talk about the story stuff in spoiler tags for those who might not have seen it yet.

Acht is fascinating and throwing my brain into chaos. Like others have said she really does give off Viola vibes with her design, and I'm almost certain it's the same voice actress as Amy (there's even times where she sounds like Amy herself). Then there's the German number connection that could link her to Zwei. Honestly, I'm not a fan of this whole 'there's been these souls inside the sword all this time and now they're released and are somehow physical but also not' thing. It's confusing and feels kinda out of left field. The only good thing about it is the potential for new and fun characters. As far as Acht being Viola though... the only issue I have with that is the fact that Amy sees Viola reflected in the Quator Orbis at the end of her story, and it seems as if it's foreshadowing her becoming Viola, and Azwel being interested in her specifically seems to point to this as well. I know there's this whole clone or sister theory for Acht but that seems less likely to me. The whole thing is madenningly intriguing, lol. Regardless of whether Acht is Viola or not though, I love her character. She has a dark edge to her that I'm drawn to and I always enjoy 'evil kid' characters. I really hope we get to see more of her in the future but considering how much they're suddenly shoving her down our throats and making her involved in multiple character's stories, I think they're setting up for something, either a possible new character via DLC (which I honestly don't think will happen. I'm expecting 1 Guest + 3 returnees for Season 3 if we get it) or teasing her as a new character in Soulcalibur VII, if that happens.

I must say though that whilst I know she was too young to be able to make a proper custom character for her (since they'd all be too tall) I was bitterly disappointed that when fighting her, it was just other characters with her name and voice. That felt so anticlimactic and dull.

The end of Nightmare's Side Story has me confused and worried too. It pulls a 'to be continued' on us, whilst also stating the next part of the story takes place in the 16hundreds. This gives so many questions. Continued when? In another DLC? In, dare we hope, Soulcalibur VII? And if the story is to continue in 16-something, then... surely they're not intending another god forsaken time skip after the travesty that was SCV?

There's so much mystery and unaswered questions surrounding all of this that it feels like there HAS to be a Season 3 or sequel in the works.

All in all though I'm really loving what they're doing for the most part and I really hope that they got the money and love they need for the higher ups to give them a bigger budget for Soulcalibur VII if it happens. I want to see what they'd be capable of with no financial limitations (especially if we can finally get characters that look like they belong in the current gen of gaming and not still using PS3-style graphics).

The fact the game is still giving me hype and making me care about the lore and stuff is a sign they're doing something right :) I think retelling the story was a genius move and I hope they do it justice by continuing from this new expanded timeline and versions of the characters.

All in all though I'm really loving what they're doing for the most part and I really hope that they got the money and love they need for the higher ups to give them a bigger budget for Soulcalibur VII if it happens.
Yeah, my overall feeling with the new story content is that they're setting up for something way out of their budget. Cause you can't set up an evil hierarchy like that and have all of them be portraits and old CaS.

Yeah, my overall feeling with the new story content is that they're setting up for something way out of their budget. Cause you can't set up an evil hierarchy like that and have all of them be portraits and old CaS.
THIS. They also outright implied that the story will be entering SCII territory from here & the final batch of DLC is a prelude to the next installment.

We're literally embarking outside of the full extent of the timeline they set up for SCVI.

THIS. They also outright implied that the story will be entering SCII territory from here & the final batch of DLC is a prelude to the next installment.

We're literally embarking outside of the full extent of the timeline they set up for SCVI.
Maybe we really are gonna be waiting for SC7 at this rate, and not just another season of DLC. It's getting beyond the scope of what this game set out to do, imo. SC6 was meant to revive the Soul series, and it's succeeded. The latest developments within this game (through the latest DLC stuff) seem to have its content fully fleshed out, but done in a way where it's a sort of cliffhanger/has us on the edge of our seats waiting for more, and that would be handled nicely by a new SC game.

@FluffyQuack

Are you still going to upload season 2's artwork? If it's troublesome to separate them from the previous artwork, it might be best to just upload all of them again, plus I sure there will be those who missed out on your original upload.

Regarding Legends being retconned into SC6, it appears those events happened in Siegfried's head as a form of control over his soul.
I'll try to do that tomorrow. I'll probably just upload one big archive.

I must admit, its a bit stunning to see this dam breaking. Out of nowhere the hwang activity online just exploded! Obviously I knew the DLC would raise his profile...

but to see this surge in fanart (done so beautifully and quickly I might add!) and the discussion/gameplay is really something... Its both shocking and emotional for me. I'm seeing people pick up Hwang who had no idea who he even was beforehand.

That is what makes me want to cry tears of joy. To see that Hwang has new fans who will enjoy him!

At the very least we are due for at least one more Groh story episode at minimum (I think the groh episode that came with setsuka patch was titled Groh sidestory 1 or something like that)

This posturing for a sequel could just be "covering their bases" in case Season 3 doesn't happen. Then again Season 1 technically did this in a way, as Amy and Cassandra stories were obvious setup for the big picture future.

If Season 3 is a thing it will likely have a new plotline/story thread to weave together all the DLC the way hilde+setsuka+hwang did.

Even though Mitsurugi's story and Nightmare's story were big setup for SCVII, I am not sure if Rock, Aeon or Yun-Seong would even involve them at all.

(For Aeon at least Nightmare would only be featured in flashbacks....so the potential for Season 3 is there)

I don't think Yun-Seong is the one STAR refers to, it makes more sense to be Algol, especially considering he has been hinted at as well. Also, it surprises me that people aren't talking about the possibility of another guest in Season 3.

Also, it surprises me that people aren't talking about the possibility of another guest in Season 3.
I can't speak for other people, but man, fuck guests. I'm so sick of them. I know they help bring hype to SC and keep it on the radar with casuals, but... I just wish Soul Calibur could be Soul Calibur for one season of DLC instead of having to accommodate guests.
For me personally, this is why I don't want to bring up guests. Other folks, idk.

I can't speak for other people, but man, fuck guests. I'm so sick of them. I know they help bring hype to SC and keep it on the radar with casuals, but... I just wish Soul Calibur could be Soul Calibur for one season of DLC instead of having to accommodate guests.
For me personally, this is why I don't want to bring up guests. Other folks, idk.

Except for the fact that Haohmaru landed with an epic thud. The time to release him was around Season 1 of SCVI. It's a sad reality that SamSho faded big by the time Haohmaru came to SC6.

If you look at the graph you can see at least on pc, once the game found its "longtime" playerbase only Amy and and Haohmaru failed to really move the needle in activity/playerbase. I'll give Amy a pass because she was released early in the game's life and seems to currently have the most views on their DLC trailer (300k+ atm, I can't find the original trailers for 2B sadly). Haohmaru currently the absolute worst views DLC wise, with like 115k views. The characters like Cass, Hilde, Setsuka and Hwang all are represented by peaks on the graph. I'm pleasantly surprised that Hwang has just passed Setsuka in the viewcount on their trailers. I was worried he would do poorly against the beautiful army of waifu DLC, but with him getting so many views I'm really happy and hopeful they can make other characters shiny and cool once more.

but man haohmaru is cool but so disappointing at the same time. I don't regret getting him, I only regret the wait for him and his lame creation parts......like a Heihachi outfit more or less :(

Attachments

• Screenshot (897).png
    Screenshot (897).png
    259.9 KB · Views: 82
Wouldn't it be better to view DLC characters as a season package rather than individually? Can you even buy DLC characters individually? I wouldn't know because I brought the season passes when they were available.

I also did a little bit of quick datamining and I couldn't find anything. And if anyone's curious, the weird Star, Stone, Yell, etc codenames are still there with no changes. My theory is still that those were red herrings added in by Namco to confuse dataminers.
By the way, wasn't there a new single codename that appeared around the time Haohmaru was released or am I imagining things?

Wouldn't it be better to view DLC characters as a season package rather than individually? Can you even buy DLC characters individually? I wouldn't know because I brought the season passes when they were available.
mhm, and the CAS packs. only difference is that I'm pretty sure SC4 and SC5's music is only available w/ purchase of the season 2 pass,

No fighting game is free from guests these days, darling, even Street Fighter V already announced the girl from Rival Schools in it's roster. Besides, Soul Calibur had guests ever since SC2, so it's not like anything is being disrupted. At least it's not like MK11, who puts a bunch of forgotten shitty movie characters.

But Yell, Snow and Yellow, which are supposed to refer to Hilde, Setsuka and Hwang, are still unchanged ever since they were found. I don't think these codes mean anything.
They match too well to not mean anything.

Back