Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

sytus

[14] Master
now that multiple season passes have been established as a thing that the FGC consumer doesn't reactively oppose for dumb and self-defeating reasons,
I think most agree is a necessary evil to have balance patches over a long period of time. If you consider all the new moves all the vanilla characters got, Season 2 SC6 is a very different beast. I can't imagine playing Yoshi without all of his new tools, or even the suggestions I asked for that got implemented.

SCVI wasn't that far off, afterall. But honestly, it also wasn't one of my favorite games in the series when it comes to gameplay, aesthetic design, or the overall choice of priorities in terms of which parts of the game were polished and robust and which were skimpy.
I'm surprised you mentioned gameplay not one of your favourites because I think it's the best even with it's flaws. It's easy to pick out garbage like RE, but making the actions of basic moves universal across all characters as well as the movement speed being the fastest in the series are just a couple of things that make SC6 really special compared to the previous games. I know aesthetics are subjective, but this is another area where I think they got right. I've never liked the gloomy visuals of SC4 and SC5, and while I would have liked brand new character models, I do find the fusion between those models and the bright, upbeat feel of the earlier games to be very satisfactory. Sound design and music is stellar in this game (especially after SC5 music which I pretty much hate every single one) so for me this is another reason why it's up there with the other top tier sound tracks of the series.

And lastly, hey everybody! How is everyone?
Kinda bored of gaming ATM, but it is the summer (more to the point, the end of summer) which usually means a drought of games. Publishers always holding the release of new games for the Christmas sales.

artard4321

[12] Conqueror
I'm still in the camp that thinks that SC7 won't be announced until Tekken 8 is a thing.
Oh, not a chance in the universe that SCVII comes before T8.
Technically there's a chance of SOULCALIBUR VII being announced before TEKKEN 8 is announced... and that's only if they decided they want to work on TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 3 or Tekken X Street Fighter instead (who am I kidding, I'm sure they'd rather the next Tekken project be TEKKEN 8).

But for the most part, it makes a lot of sense for them to work on the next Tekken project first before working on the next SoulCalibur project. From my own observation, the workflow they're going for appears to be:
1. Have a big team focus on the next Tekken project.
2. Once the base game for Tekken is completed, the Tekken team is downsized to work on DLC as others move on to other projects.
3. Project Soul gains some developers from the Tekken team to focus on the next SoulCalibur project.
4. Once the base game for SoulCalibur is completed, the SoulCalibur team is downsized to work on DLC as others move on to other projects or back to Tekken.
5. Repeat Step 1.

Starting from Tekken 4 and counting arcade releases as first launch, major Tekken and Soulcalibur games have always been released in between each other:
Tekken 4 (2001)
SoulCalibur II (2002)
Tekken 5 (2004)
Soulcalibur III (2005)
Tekken 6 (2007)
SoulCalibur IV (2008)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (2011)
SoulCalibur V (2012)
TEKKEN 7 (2015)
SOULCALIBUR VI (2018)

It's also interesting to note that if we don't count Tekken Tag Tournament 2 as an actual entry then it would have been ~8 years between Tekken 6 and TEKKEN 7 which is an even greater gap than the ~6 years between SoulCalibur V and SOULCALIBUR VI.

Honestly, I don't think the SoulCalibur IP is in a bad spot especially with SOULCALIBUR VI exceeding expectations.

Azul Hurricane

[10] Knight
This whole idea that Harada and Okubo are somehow foes fighting for the fate of Tekken and SC respectively is a silly fiction created by salty stans who add a whole new level of speculation (short on any realistic insight into the industry and long on fabricated melodrama) every time there is the slightest setback for one franchise or the other. In reality, these two men are colleagues, and further are employees fairly well down the hierarchy of the overall Namco decision making chain. As developers, they are two senior figures on their respective teams, but they both get their marching order from higher up: the idea that they are in position to have some sort of machiavellian struggle for team resources is silly; the certain reality is that they have to coordinate very closely on these products and there's never been the least hint in interviews or industry media to suggest that they have anything but a perfectly friendly working relationship.
Indeed. this site is where I learned of this story.

Mage

I'll make you submit!
I'm excited for the future of the series, and I think there's a very strong possibility of SCVII happening, but probably not for a few more years. As previously said, SCVI sold surprisingly well and more than SCV, so if we got a SCVI after the performance of SCV, we can almost be certain that we will get an SCVII.

weshookhands

[13] Hero
So no more concept art it seems? Voldo's and Asta's birthdays have gone by without any new artwork. And I guess they'll keep whatever crazy designs they've come up with for Yoshi for later use in Tekken, too.

sytus

[14] Master
So no more concept art it seems? Voldo's and Asta's birthdays have gone by without any new artwork. And I guess they'll keep whatever crazy designs they've come up with for Yoshi for later use in Tekken, too.
I did ask about characters that have unknown birthdays and they said that they won't forget about characters like Yoshi. It looks like they have.

weshookhands

[13] Hero
Another victim to the blanding trend:

bandai-namco-logo-change2021.jpg