Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
At the same time, the fighting game genre has crashed in terms of it's market share of the overall gaming industry
Fighting games would never have to worry about this if their combat was more intuitive and less about memorizing shit.

Oh and don't tell me this how things have to be. Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive have easy to understand controls and their games are easier to play because of it. Go compare this to most fighters like Mortal Kombat where you need to go into a menu when you switch characters to learn how to fight again.

Honestly it's amazing how fighters don't copy Soul Calibur's universal control scheme and limited combos. It would make the genre way more accessible.

AMillionHP

[13] Hero
I'm new here so I'm gonna take your word seriously, but when I was browsing all these older posts in this forum, there were plenty of diverse opinions and perspectives.

Reddit on the other hand promotes popularity over validity. All you see there is people agreeing with each other cuz if they don't, they get downvoted. People with unpopular posts, even if they make good points, don't get proper discussions. Just people getting defensive and not hearing the other side.

That says more about the kick feature than the community. It shouldn't exist. It makes "casual" matches feel like private matches and makes ranked the standard experience instead. Online in SC6 felt like a stepdown from 5, though it's been forever since I played 5.

Only played 5 and 6. Maybe 4 had more content and that's why it lasted longer. 5 was my first Soul Calibur, so I'm biased, but that game is not as bad as the fans make it out to be. People saying it killed the series are wrong. Soul Calibur has a history of success so it's gonna keep being made even if some games stumble.
Oh wow, thought this place was dead. I poke my head back in here every few months or so just in case some info drops but i see theres an actual discussion.

I quit playing this a long time ago for a few reasons. 2B was the last straw but other issues was Reversal Edge, disappointing CAS and too much DLC.

SC4 did have a lot of flaws with it but it was my first online fighting game and i logged a ton of hours on that.

Less time was spent on SC5 even though i enjoyed that game more. Mostly because i had changes in my life that cut my time. They put in a lot of online features and the netcode was particularly better.

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
Oh wow, thought this place was dead. I poke my head back in here every few months
Dead places are the ones you won't come back to. The word you're looking for is inactive.

I quit playing this a long time ago for a few reasons. 2B was the last straw but other issues was Reversal Edge, disappointing CAS and too much DLC.
None of those are good reasons. 2B is unsafe on everything, just block and then attack right after. Use Reversal Edge against her predictable attacks and she goes down quick.

Reversal edge is weak to sidestep. If people spam that, just sidestep all the time.

Create-a-soul was a little lacking but you can still make some fun characters. But yes it's lackluster.

DLC isn't an issue. Wait for a sale on PC, not sure about consoles. The deluxe edition gets you all year 1 characters and some CAS outfits so it's a good deal.

The real reasons to drop this game are the lackluster single player content and crap netcode. But the devs had a limited budget so they didn't have a choice.

AMillionHP

[13] Hero
Dead places are the ones you won't come back to. The word you're looking for is inactive.

None of those are good reasons. 2B is unsafe on everything, just block and then attack right after. Use Reversal Edge against her predictable attacks and she goes down quick.

Reversal edge is weak to sidestep. If people spam that, just sidestep all the time.

Create-a-soul was a little lacking but you can still make some fun characters. But yes it's lackluster.

DLC isn't an issue. Wait for a sale on PC, not sure about consoles. The deluxe edition gets you all year 1 characters and some CAS outfits so it's a good deal.

The real reasons to drop this game are the lackluster single player content and crap netcode. But the devs had a limited budget so they didn't have a choice.
My dislike for 2B had nothing to do with mechanics. I just didnt care for their selection of guest character.

I was aware stepping countered that but it still completely destroys the matches regardless. Its annoying to look at that all the time and basically someone losing has no reason not to spam it and least attempt to shift momentum.

Of course there will always be ways for people to deliberately be annoying in matches but they at least couldnt forcibly slow the match down like this.

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
I just didnt care for their selection of guest character.
Guest characters are overrated tbh. I'm not gonna complain about them, but I don't think they impact sales as much as people think.

I was aware stepping countered that but it still completely destroys the matches regardless.
I think reversal edge is fine but the rock-paper-scissors part is the whole issue. Nobody wants to feel like they're playing that and it ruins the flow of a fight. It would be easier if they removed it altogether and moved on.

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
Ivy won Evo

I watched the whole video and a couple of things stood out.
  • Matchup knowledge is the most important factor in high-level gameplay. There were moves that should've got punished but didn't.
  • Reversal edge is balanced. It should only be used when you know the other guy is gonna be aggressive.
  • Ivy's unbreakable grabs are bs. No idea why they gave a long-range character these moves.
    • Ivy in general needs a rework for the next Soul Calibur - she's too frustrating to play against.
  • People focus way too much on mix-ups and not enough on using AA or BB. Too many times someone got away with a risky move because nobody used AA or BB after they messed up.
  • Xianghua's Critical Edge is too good. Having safety and speed is absurd for a Critical Edge.
  • Character's have moves locked behind Soul Charge that should've been in their base move-sets. Or maybe bring back Brave Edge.
Now for the main event itself.

Ivy won because Amy just didn't know enough about her. When Amy was aggressive, she took over the round. But she was too scared of Ivy's moves for the majority of the fight. She didn't realize how unsafe Ivy is and how Amy's AA and BB would've shut down 90% of her options. This EVO final wasn't as competitive as 2019's where it was Voldo vs. Azwel and they both knew about the other's strengths and weaknesses. 2022 felt like it was more about knowledge-checking than a back-and-forth fight like 2019 was.

FleshMasher

[13] Hero
It's i12 that's faster than any normal attack nightmare has lol.
And she has safe launchers that combo into it.
So you're not that wrong.

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
It's i12 that's faster than any normal attack nightmare has lol.
Not sure why you used Nightmare as a benchmark, him being slow and interruptible is part of his balance. 12 frame CE is questionable but would be ok if they reduced the damage.

And she has safe launchers that combo into it.
Damage scaling makes this a non-issue.

I legit think if they sped up the animation a lot, most people would be fine with it.

SSfox

[14] Master
Thing that put me off most in SC6 highlevel, are CE that can whiff punish almost everything even some fast moves, like even throws whiffs.

RaphMcSorel

[10] Knight
Welp, I've gone full doomer. I hate the fighting game community so much for their garbage taste. If even Soulcalibur 2 wasn't big enough to make this list, the series is officially dead. Bamco will see this and have no further incentive to make another game. With Okubo gone, nobody is even left at Bamco to fight for this franchise. There is now a 0% chance we're getting Soulcalibur VII. We'll be lucky of Taki & Ivy are reduced to crossover legacy characters like Morrigan & Felicia.

SSfox

[14] Master
Welp, I've gone full doomer. I hate the fighting game community so much for their garbage taste. If even Soulcalibur 2 wasn't big enough to make this list, the series is officially dead. Bamco will see this and have no further incentive to make another game. With Okubo gone, nobody is even left at Bamco to fight for this franchise. There is now a 0% chance we're getting Soulcalibur VII. We'll be lucky of Taki & Ivy are reduced to crossover legacy characters like Morrigan & Felicia.
I mean it's IGN.
They put VF5US instead of VF2 or VF4 evo. VF5 US is a fucking joke, it's just a 2012 ps360 remaster game but with cut content and worse netcode. releasing this game with such bad netcode in this day of age is like WTF.

I also would put T3 instead of T7. But yeah it's just one guy opinion in a sens.

RaphMcSorel

[10] Knight
I mean it's IGN.
They put VF5US instead of VF2 or VF4 evo. VF5 US is a fucking joke, it's just a 2012 ps360 remaster game but with cut content and worse netcode. releasing this game with such bad netcode in this day of age is like WTF.

I also would put T3 instead of T7. But yeah it's just one guy opinion in a sens.
IGN is (unfortunately) the biggest media company in the gaming sphere, and I'm sure a massive corporation like Bamco cares a lot about what they have to say. IGN is adding more fuel to the "Soulcalibur isn't relevant" narrative that has effectively killed the series.

sytus

[14] Master
Hey everyone. Boy it has been a while since I've been here, hope you're all doing well. Regarding the active Calibur base both in game and on this site, I personally wouldn't focus too much negativity on it. It is clear we're in different times regarding community hubs and for people like me I'm just having a break from the series playing other fighting games I love, plus having a break from Calibur itself will prevent burnout for when SC7 comes out. I'll be back here when that time comes and I hope all of you will be here as well. See you then, and pray for Li Long's return double nunchucks.

Li Long.jpg

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
I saw the title of the article and was worried, but thankfully it's actually extremely respectful towards the Soul series.
Don't worry about Soul Calibur. The series has sold millions of copies, it ain't gonna stop being made.

Soul Calibur 5 disappointed, the free-to-play bombed, and we STILL got a 6th game after all that. That should convince you right there that the series is here to stay.

You can look at other games too. Mass Effect: Andromeda was a big disappointment, bigger than SC5, and it still gets another game in ME4. Devil May Cry 2 was a stepdown from 1, and they still made a 3rd game. Deus Ex; Invisible War was considered worse than Deus Ex 1, it got another game made by a different team called Deus Ex: Human Revolution and was hailed as a comeback for Deus Ex.

I could go on and on, you get my point - don't worry about a franchise that has a history of positive sales and reviews.