Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Are you sure about this? IIRC it was also a Thursday, March 15th.

CD Projekt's Red's tease went out on the 14th, which might be what's causing the confusion:

But the actual Geralt for real reveal was on the 15th:

You two are right. I misremembered it as a Wednesday because of the blatant tease being the day before on a Wednesday, then the trailer came out the following day, also on a Thursday.
So that's another strange support for there being some kind of possible intention with the Norse references with the Yggrdasil character select screen layout, Grøh being Norse and inspired by the development team's interpretation of Norse imagery and things, and as said before, Thursday being named after and derived from "Thor's Day."
I'll tell you right now that I still don't have specific information like what exactly Grøh's dad looks like, or what weapon he uses other than it's a new and unique moveset. But I'm starting to think he'll definitely have some kind of Norse inspiration going on to him due to these little signs adding up.

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but whatever, we were told to not be so negative and to give constructive criticism; So I saw Sieg's trailer and I think he looks awfull, but instead of just saying that I'll try to prove my point and also try to give a solution to the problem. I know a thing or two about character design so I edited 2 of the new screenshots of him:

He looks fat and shapeless, he's not interesting to look at, has a boring, boxy silhoutte, looks like a bag of potatos. Sieg has never looked that way so I don't think it was intended:
View attachment 48867
The body he seems to have under the armor:
View attachment 48869
Now the edited one, much more interesting hourglass shape and more stylized with the armor not so loose:
View attachment 48870
This bodyshape is more like him:
View attachment 48871
And the other screenshot, I made some armor parts much smaller and close to the body so it's more interesting to look at, try to flip between the two so you guys can se the differences better:
View attachment 48872
View attachment 48873
God, that looks so much better what you did. Can we please get this out and to Project Soul and Okubo?
This kind of thing would go a long way in helping make his design look and flow better and not look so boxy.
The form fitting armor edits looks far more "Siegfried" than how he looks right now.

God, that looks so much better what you did. Can we please get this out and to Project Soul and Okubo?
This kind of thing would go a long way in helping make his design look and flow better and not look so boxy.
The form fitting armor edits looks far more "Siegfried" than how he looks right now.

Thank you! I can send Okubo-san a tweet with the 2 last screenshots or something but he'll probably just ignore me lol

Thank you! I can send Okubo-san a tweet with the 2 last screenshots or something but he'll probably just ignore me lol

To be honest, I like this version of Siegfried... Well, he probably spending his time eating McDo lol, but... maybe it's the armour's render who give him this "fat" body ?

Though I didn't see him as fat...

Yet again, I see someone complaining about Siegfried being overdesigned... I'm getting tired of you people parroting each other like a bunch of clones and acting like a character being overdesigned is automatically an artistic flaw. There is nothing wrong with preferring a simpler design, but don't come up with a bunch of bullshit excuses that are unjustified. Just simply say 'I don't like it'. This shouldn't be difficult to understand. Unlike the outfit, these are things that actually deserve criticism:

- Lack of chain mail underneath the armour (it doesn't look like it's supposed to be bare skin in the artwork)
- Critical Edge being underwhelming (doesn't look powerful enough for a heavy weapon)
- Proportions that make him look fat (can be seen in the trailer as well upon closer examination)

Calling this outfit 'the worst in the series' is an overstatement. The armour and scarf look good and suit him well, and this definitely looks better than his generic Soul Edge design at least.

Know what? I actually LIKE his design... maybe except his critical edge being -meh-, especially after the wonderful one Nightmare got.
I'd say there's nothing inherently wrong about someone having a tummy and fighting with a big sword. And it's not like he's Bob-grades of fat.

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but whatever, we were told to not be so negative and to give constructive criticism; So I saw Sieg's trailer and I think he looks awfull, but instead of just saying that I'll try to prove my point and also try to give a solution to the problem. I know a thing or two about character design so I edited 2 of the new screenshots of him:

He looks fat and shapeless, he's not interesting to look at, has a boring, boxy silhoutte, looks like a bag of potatos. Sieg has never looked that way so I don't think it was intended:
View attachment 48867
The body he seems to have under the armor:
View attachment 48869
Now the edited one, much more interesting hourglass shape and more stylized with the armor not so loose:
View attachment 48870
This bodyshape is more like him:
View attachment 48871
And the other screenshot, I made some armor parts much smaller and close to the body so it's more interesting to look at, try to flip between the two so you guys can se the differences better:
View attachment 48872
View attachment 48873
This is bang on, thanks for detailing the actual issues as you have put what I was thinking to paper.

Do any of the people "critiquing" the armour make art themselves? Or have gotten paid to make art? I doubt it.

The bare arms look badass. The gold filigree on the chest plate looks regal and scarf is just sexy lookin lol

The design is good, VERY good. Whether you think its great would be a matter of opinion but its very good.

I dont play the character and this is the coolest armour hes had since the crystal (though, while iconic, that one I feel is a bit overdone).

Yet again, I see someone complaining about Siegfried being overdesigned... I'm getting tired of you people parroting each other like a bunch of clones and acting like a character being overdesigned is automatically an artistic flaw. There is nothing wrong with preferring a simpler design, but don't come up with a bunch of bullshit excuses that are unjustified. Just simply say 'I don't like it'. This shouldn't be difficult to understand. Unlike the outfit, these are things that actually deserve criticism:

- Lack of chain mail underneath the armour (it doesn't look like it's supposed to be bare skin in the artwork)
- Critical Edge being underwhelming (doesn't look powerful enough for a heavy weapon)
- Proportions that make him look fat (can be seen in the trailer as well upon closer examination)

Mmm I hope you're not referring to me, I don't think he's overdesigned, his outfit is okay, the proportions are not, that's exacly my complain.

There's nothing wrong with being fat but Siegfried has never been that way therefore I think they just failed on portraiting his character in the 3D model. The armor parts that I edited to be smaller were in order to not making him look so fat and burried in loose armor, not because I think the armor looks overdesigned or anything, in fact I didn't changed the design of the armor a single bit.

Last edited:
Do any of the people "critiquing" the armour make art themselves? Or have gotten paid to make art? I doubt it.

The bare arms look badass. The gold filigree on the chest plate looks regal and scarf is just sexy lookin lol

The design is good, VERY good. Whether you think its great would be a matter of opinion but its very good.

I dont play the character and this is the coolest armour hes had since the crystal (though, while iconic, that one I feel is a bit overdone).
Nothing is above criticism. If an audience is intended to enjoy something, they have a right to have an opinion on it. You can argue that some people are being overly critical, since the game is still in development and some things may change. Regardless, they don't have to be artists to discuss it.

Last edited:
Back