Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I want this astaroth skin

asta.png

Asta is too iconic to be replace, they should just go deeper with his personality, lore and gameplay (same thing can be said with all characters actually)

Bandai Namco already tried something like this with Tekken 7 by replacing Marduk, and we ended having a Gigas that doesn't even have 1% of Marduk Charisma and gameplay quality. So no thanks no need for replacement especially for a character as iconic and staple as Astaroth.

Go deeper with Astaroth's personality? I can just imagine...

:sc2ast2:: You know, Nightmare, I think I call people "WORMS!" because opening myself up to an intimate relationship is scary. It's easier to just chase people away, rather than risk rejection.
:sc2nm1:: That makes sense, friend. And why do you tell people to "SQUIRM!"?
:sc1ast1:: Oh, that's because it's funny to see people wiggle around as I turn their spines to pulp.

Astaroth fits in really well as this frankenstein/golem employed as an executioner/headsmen. SC4 was an anomaly imo (some lava rock elemental).

I think a lot of his personality would be enhanced by the fact that he should be expressionless (emphasizes his inhuman nature). Him talking in grammatically correct sentences takes away some of his charm I find (I'm not sure if I would prefer him have hulk-speak).

I support anything that makes him appear more as a merciless/remorseless butcher that is utterly single minded in his goal of separating your head from your shoulders.

Making him more chatty/witty is a step in the wrong direction.
---

Regarding Rock:

Personally, seeing Thor in action in Infinity War reinvigorated my love of 2 handed war hammers.
However, I also would like to see a flail so I don't know about the bludgeoning weapons. A kanabo type weapon would be on the bottom of my list

Last edited:
Hope Astaroth and Kilik get something similar to their OG counterparts’ weapons since Mi-Na seems like she’ll be the Anna Williams of this game. It seems weird if we don’t have some kind of spear. Groh’s weapon is too quirky for a substitute.
Who was the SCIII lance style inspired by?

We all know the reason why people want Rock over Astaroth is because Asta probably has the anatomy of a Ken Doll and just like 3D boobs attract waifu fags, 3D bulges attract pure breed fags.
Not that SC has ever featured bulges, and not that am I a "pure breed fag" (how exactly do you pure breed something that can't purely reproduce?), but can confirm.
Rock is a lot smaller than Astaroth. Where's the beef? No thanks.
Doesn't have to be. They're not real people and can be altered at will.

SCIV kinda ruined Rock with his dumb voice, but SCIII Rock was great. Astaroth is the better character sure, but only because he's been given more of a story and at least some connection with another character, but there's no reason they can't do that for Rock (and don't get me started on tiers again, because again, balance is an inconceivably fluid part of design).
I've never liked Astaroth as a character, he's a child and he acts like one, and I'd much prefer a Rock given the same attention Astaroth has had.

Last edited:
Asta is too iconic to be replace, they should just go deeper with his personality, lore and gameplay (same thing can be said with all characters actually)

Bandai Namco already tried something like this with Tekken 7 by replacing Marduk, and we ended having a Gigas that doesn't even have 1% of Marduk Charisma and gameplay quality. So no thanks no need for replacement especially for a character as iconic and staple as Astaroth.
You're absolutely right. I'm a Gigas user. What a disappointment is that char! Astaroth must be in without any stupid replacement

Last edited:
cause asta is superior in every way. While Marduk is better than gigas when it comes to gameplay.

How is Rock being replaced by Astaroth any different than Marduk being replaced by Gigas?
It's not the same since both were around at the same time upon Astaroth's introduction. Tekken 7 outright replaced one character for another in Harada's attempt to push "muh data says" to replace Marduk. The funniest part is he replaced one character for one I've seen played less than I ever have Marduk.
I don't know how Harada using the old "muh data says" isn't a meme at this point to make fun of that being his excuse for cutting and replacing characters, but it should be. One of the funniest poke some holes in his insistence of data justifying cutting a character is how Christie since her introduction on Tekken 4 has always eclipsed Eddy in popularity, yet he cut her and kept him around for reasons I'll never understand other than wanting to do some dumb stuff with him and Lucky Chloe.

Here's a funny recent example of Harada played the "muh data says" card without even realizing he was playing it when it comes to not going with Kazuma Kiryu as a guest character for Tekken 7 when asking fans who they want, which he was overwhelmingly asked for by Japanese and Western fans.
But Harada addressed this with TekkenGamer by saying "We have not yet done the research on whether this is something our audience as a whole are interested in, and also if it would be a big topic among the community. We were actually surprised that there was a group of fans on the Yakuza side that were asking for a collaboration with Tekken. Maybe there is a crossover among the fan bases?"
Gee, you think?

But the two biggest holes to poke in all that?
Let's be realistic. Geese was Harada choosing him because he loves Geese. That's the only reason why Geese was chosen.
Geese is not a massively popular character with the audience as a whole because KOF has always had a hard time making it big in the west. The USA especially. While I will admit I loved the weird unpredictabo nature of it, Geese was a niche choice.

And while it is a dead horse to beat and I do understand why they did it, it was even more unpredictabo than Geese, but the truth will always be that nobody asked for Noctis.
He turned out great and was a mission accomplished in getting FFXV fans curious and interested to try him out. But the fact is still the fact that there was no data that correlated with fans asking for him. You saw no of that online. They were asking for Kazuma Kiryu in one of the most overwhelming fashions I have ever seen for one character when there's an open poll for suggestion. And 2B even at the later part of it for second most requested because of a movement started online for her. Which the resistence against her came from the "she would fit Soul Calibur" better crowd.
If they only knew Noctis was waiting for them as the actual 2nd DLC Guest Character. lol

I will say right now that you people should be glad Harada's not in charge of Soul Calibur like he is Tekken. If you thought SCV was bad, I'm sure he'd cut more characters and make some strange choices if it was totally in his hands because of "muh data."

At least Harada didn't say westerners were dumb button mashers and that is the reason why a certain cross over is dumb down to all hell.

A lot of what happened to Tekken 7 was done against fans wishes, to makes matters worse the data Harada supposedly uses is based on TTT2 a game that was almost a financial flop. Doesn't help how lukewarm the new characters were received, Lucky Chloe is hated by some sects, but there are characters like Katarina and Shaheen who are all but forgotten from what I've seem. It is like SCV all over again.

Last edited:
Problem with TTT2 is that they put the biggest budget they ever put in the franchise for a .... Spin Off Tekken Game... like really? very bad decision imo. Without mentioning the very bad design choice they made for this game, especially when it comes to aesthetics and abandoning one of the main and best core that made Tekken. And now with T7 they did the opposite by putting less resources in a Canon Tekken game, like BN don't really believed on their own iconic franchise (they are even happy and surprise with those 2.8 millions sold, like.). But anyway don't wanna go deep into this, in the end of the day SCV that outsold TTT2 wasn't even surprising to me just saying. Let's just hope this will serve as a learning experience to make SC6 even better.

Last edited:
Back