Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Some thoughts:

Astaroth:

Titan bomb gutbuster seems to be his signature move which is great I wish we saw the AT animation of Poseiden tide however.

His cobra collar and his cobra on his belt are nice touches. Ivy is also a character with a serpent motif, so theres some overlap there unfortunately.

Astaroth's arm bracers and shin armor look horrible. It is over-designed, but at the same time feels very generic-NPC in a mmorpg style. The official key art looks passable, but I've never been a fan of designs like that (sorta like Groh's arm armor). Its ok on his new mask because its not obnoxiously huge and actually compliment his face mask, rather than dominate the design like his giant shoulder pads or bracers.

Those giant pieces actually make Astaroth look smaller (as others have mentioned, his relatively skinny thighs are almost comical).

I like his dark grey (slight purple) complexion, which makes him seem like an undead barbarian warlord type. He seems to have a lot of scars which give him character.

His exposed chest now has lumpy nodes so thats a nice touch.

Overall probably the most disappointing of the bunch. He has a very unremarkable design, where the most memorable thing is that he has giant jagged armor.

Seong-Mina:

Wow. I'm so surprised shes returning that I'm probably going to go easy on her unlike Astaroth.

The colour motif seems like a good 1p alt color palette to me, rather than her signature orange with splash of green/white.

Her goofy shoulder flap/shoal things look strange, but underneath shes really got nothing else for a top. It just looks kinda funny when she does her SC animation and you see the shoal almost form a cone around her head. There are SOOO many clipping issues with it around her shoulders and neck.

She moves like she is the most acrobatic/athletic of the girls and its clear project soul made an effort to further differentiate her from Kilik.

Her final hit of her CE animation (where she draws lightning) is done much better than Siegfried's soft windy looking final strike.
• You can hear the blade get drawn across the ground (magically building an electrical charge)
• As she swings her blade upwards she draws a pink electrical discharge
• Her poor victim is left twirling (a lot of rotational energy) so it looks way more impactful compared to Siegfried.

Her key art's face is definitely amusing.
Lastly, I am glad they didn't overboard with giving her proportionately giant hands

Last edited:
I am so happy to see Mi-na back, but I don't like that every female character seems underdressed exposing parts of their breasts (except for Taki, but Taki is basically naked). While it doesn't bother me in Talim's case, because it looks like maybe some actual clothes that could exist in that universe, Mina's top looks like a one size too small bikini from our modern, non-fantasy world, it looks dumb and out of place. I also dislike the colour scheme, maybe it's there to imply different motivations for her character because it's unlike anything she wore until now, maybe she's supposed to be more mature now or maybe it's there to show that she's a different character than she used to be? Regardless, she seems the only one to get that treatment so far, while the other characters retained their design continuity. I think she looks better in bright colors, especially green. Maybe we will get a more "Mi-na" outfit in her 2p.

Edit: maybe it's because Talim is already green or Tira is very colorful and they wanted to color code everyone

Last edited:
I'm more bothered by Mina's face as not only does the design move more away from her SC2 asian design but at a glance you could pass her off as Taki's sister. I was hoping that the same face syndrome that the Soul Calibur games have suffered with was a thing of the past but at least Mina is still very pleasing to look at.

Maybe character cut out happens, but I heard that for the story part, some dialogues has been worked from more than a years now... so it will cut a lot of work. Maybe DLC characters will unlock "lines" in story mode to net let the work go to trash ?

I trusted what I heard and what Vergeben heard from the starts, but since that StoryMode Screen Blurred Lines when we guessed Seong Mina and her reveal (that why I was saying that things goes crazier than I thought), I'am really confused right now.

And I have even more toughts now especially with marketing strategy here :
- Since every FG is trying to last longer by "revealing" character, even some "fan"s favorite" like Anna/Lei, or Sagat in SFV, after a year, this pose a problem for Soulcalibur =>

-> Since there is an actual Main + Coherent Character Story mode, why will you wait and reveal a possible character that could easly interact a lot with an other (and freely creates content for your game) ? Think about it. What I mean here is that, for example, they can't "REVEAL" lizardman, since they have to SHOW him in storyline, because he will interact with Asta, Nighmare, Ivy, you will fight him, he will not be dead like Cervantes.... why will they reveal him later in DLC with a different look ? or not making him playable from the start if he has a new look (bad buzz)?

So basically for this type of character they have only 2 choices :
--> Making him base roster
--> or scrapping him completly because they can't rework the character and reveal it later

That's why we will see a lot of returning character here, because if they interact in the story line, they can't be revealed easily after.
That also mean that character who don't interact much in this timeline are better to reveal later in DLC seasons 1 or 2.... except those ones who can creates bad buzz by not being in directly (Tira? Talim? Zasalamel?)

So to summarize :
- Hwang, Rock, Lizardman will be in the game base roster, or won't be ever (cause they will be bonus char clones).
- As for Yunsung, it fits better to sell him as DLC and using Hwang for story content. (but I might be wrong and they can go fully on Yunsung since there is Talim... and put other fan char for DLC)

So for sure :
- Setsuka, Hilde, Raphael (the story don't go too far I guess, only SC2 begining not the end), Amy, Zwei, Viola etc could be DLC season 1 or 2
- SC1 timeline characters (Hwang, Liz, Rock) are in or will not be in ever, because they have to design them into bonus char

Finally for Cervantes:
- He was dead in SC1 timeline, but since this game cover little after... maybe he is the line above Mina and below Ivy.
- But they can also make him non-story mode boss, or unlockable like in SC1.
- The question here is, does he interract a lot with other char, between 1583 his dead to the begining of 1590, I would say, mostly no, but maybe a little after his rebirth just before 1590

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:
@suuusuuu It's very likely that Tira will be green and black, the official Bird of Passage uniform as seen in New Legends of Project Soul art book. Having three green female characters would probably be too much. Though I'm not sure what was stopping Mi-na from being red/orange with green accents.

@Hayate I feel like you're right, but I'll add that there may be more lines since the Rothion screenshot, since I feel it would make the most sense if the lines after Grøh were ordered Hwang -> Seong Mi-na -> Ivy rather than Hwang -> Ivy -> Seong Mi-na because it would separate Ivy from Cervantes and/or put Seong Mi-na in the middle of Schwarzstrom.

I believe that Rock is out, while Hwang and Lizardman are in. Yun-seong's ties to Talim are irrelevant because that doesn't happen until SoulCalibur III. The reveal tweet indicates that Mi-na will be searching for Soul Edge, meaning Hwang will be trying to bring her back home. Yun-seong trying to bring her back home would just be weird. Rock just doesn't have any compelling reason to be included, like Li Long.

Raphael definitely could make it in, though, to establish his origins and help set up Amy as well, though she wouldn't be playable, because she doesn't take up the sword until after she nurses Raphael back to health after SoulCalibur II and Raphael pledges his life to her and trains her.

Tekken having DLC "seasons" got me thinking. Do you think SCVI will have a similar deal?
It will depend on how good SC6 base game sales are. I think Harada mentioned it multiple times Tekken 7 season 2 was only possible because of how successful T7 ended up being.

The problem with Tekken Season 2 and maybe 3... is that every time they need to cut time, they will take on SoulCalibur dev team... I'am not really happy that haha

Having this 2 games on developpement at the same time is really worring me, because of the past story that I heard about their choice...

I believe that Rock is out, while Hwang and Lizardman are in. Yun-seong's ties to Talim are irrelevant because that doesn't happen until SoulCalibur III. The reveal tweet indicates that Mi-na will be searching for Soul Edge, meaning Hwang will be trying to bring her back home. Yun-seong trying to bring her back home would just be weird. Rock just doesn't have any compelling reason to be included, like Li Long.

Lizardman will just be a story mode skin. Seong Mi-na returns reduces Yun-seong's chances of being the main roster because her bio says she's searching for Soul Edge.

I disagree, yes they probably had to have certain characters lines for story mode for a while now, but there is certainly characters with more to do with the story mode, which means for characters like Kilik the lines had to be recorded first.

The main story will explore certain events and each character own story will explore the events at certain times of their adventure, doesn't mean they have to be on the main story.

Tekken 7 has a story mode that is fairly complete, the main one the individual story mode is pretty weak, so this also goes against your argumentation,

Mi-Na is different than Rock, she is fairly popular and as far as story mode she had more pull, I think Hwag got a chance boost and maybe they will make Mi-Na, Hwag and Talim the new trio.

For season 1, I still think Hilde and Setsuka are the first DLC characters, they just make good sense, both are popular and both are fairly unique.

Viola feels more like a Season 2 if at all.

I'm still holding for Raphael for be base roster, but for me the only certainties are Tira and Cervantes as far as returning goes. I still think the final roster will have 23 characters, so lets see how this ends up

Tekken having DLC "seasons" got me thinking. Do you think SCVI will have a similar deal?

That depends on how well soul calibur does in sales, if it pops off, like selling around 2 mill copies or more im sure we could get a second season pas and a bigger competitive scene. if this happens i think we could expect a soul calibur 7 in 4 years after soul calibur 6.

My theory. Lizardman will not be main roster, and will not have a story mode slot. He will, however be unique and will be a character. He will show up in story as an enemy though. He'll be the bonus character, because his move set will already be in game and because he won't be part of story mode and they'll reserve the base slots for characters with story modes.

OMG, stop with the "Lizardman won't be playable" BS.

I didn't say Lizardman wouldn't be playable. I was thinking he might just be story mode skin because Seong Mi-na was confirmed yesterday at EVO. The list of blank names had a character with a long name that would be 2 lines above Nightmare.

SoulCaliburVI-20.jpg

I had a feeling Mi-na might be in the main roster because I read the SCVI ESRB rating saying spears, pistols, & axes nearly 2 months ago.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35637&Title=SOULCALIBUR+VI

I'm so scared for Tira guys omg, she has to be in this game.

I think she's a line under Sophitia.

Guys, can we have just a bit of faith in Okubo-san? So far he's delivered very well, and he obviously loves soul calibur, I'm sure we'll get the characters we want, maybe the roster will be a bit bigger than we expect (unless it has been confirmed already?) by a couple characters. I doubt we won't get Raph, Tira or Cass. Hilde and my girl Setsuka feel likely too. I'm sure he'll deliver.

Back