Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

In fact, I’d rather they have a spiritual successor if worse comes to worse where they don’t have to rely on their really hot big brother whose getting all buddy buddy with important people. Their godfather really hates their guts it looks like.

Otherwise it needs to pull an MK9/Fire Emblem Awakening.

I'm sure someone here can find and confirm this, but back when Siegfried was revealed, didn't the bio they 'press released' with him state that Kilik and his companions (meaning Xianghua and Maxi, the latter who wasn't revealed yet) freed him from being Nightmare?
I clearly recall reading that.
That could mean that Raphael lost his whole large role in the story.

If they changed that to remove Raphael doing the permanent one and is meant to be taken as they had said, who's to say Raphael's whole story wasn't tweaked if he is present?
Instead of Amy finding him, it could be Viola who takes him in and reads his fortune and wants him to escape his previous set path and unfortunate fate of freeing Nightmare, only to essentially die yet become Nightmare later himself?
I know a lot of people would miss Amy, but that might fit with changing his fate and character direction better.

Last edited:
To me Okubo seems more troubled by the bureaucracy than just being lazy. He worked with what he was allowed to have.
Anyone who even dares to think Okubo-San is being lazy should be kicked in the chin. The dude picked up a troubled series when he did not need that when he was riding Tekken 7's success already just because he believed in it, not only that the dude looks fucking destroyed, you can tell this last lap is draining a lot from the dude, I can't even imagine the rest of the production team.

To me Okubo seems more troubled by the bureaucracy than just being lazy.
It's always bureaucracy that does this. What makes it worse IMO is that Bandai Namco has been trickling down the path EA has taken many moons ago. I wish they wouldn't as Bandai Namco has published a lot of games that I own and cherish, I would hate to see them become the dumpster publisher EA is.

I swear to god if they replace Amy with Viola AGAIN...

Who do they think they're pleasing? Viola is NOT Amy. They need to get this into their thick skulls. Putting Viola in does NOT satisfy Amy fans, it just punches them in the face. Yes, biologically speaking, she may be the same person, but she has amnesia, ZERO memory of who she is, so she has developed a new personality (albeit with some similarities) and completely changed her fighting style (to one that, whilst interesting, I didn't like and couldn't play), her connections to other characters, etc.

I imagine the fighting style is the only reason to continue doing this because of how popular it is, but in that case, just make them separate characters. Why does one have to replace the other? Amy plays completely differently to Raphael, and Viola is completely unique, so it's not like they need to worry about duplicate styles. Stick Amy in the base roster or Season 1 DLC and stick Viola in Season 2 DLC to space 'em out a bit.

I also picture it like Nightmare/Siegfried. If they can both exist in the same roster under the plot-guise of 'Siegfried broke free and now he and Nightmare are separate' then is it so crazy to have Amy first and then 'oh she gets amnesia and now Viola is a thing' and have them both available? Yeah it's not quite as fitting timeline wise but if they make her DLC then shouldn't matter. Not to mention the difference between Amy and Viola's fighting styles are miles larger than Nightmare/Sieg.

I would say 'save it for Soulcalibur VII' where they could do the Amy-Viola-Raph story more justice and be timeline appropriate, but it sounds like that's not likely going to happen and I'd rather see them botched into SCVI for all prosperity than never exist again. I officially despise Namco for how they've apparently treated Project Soul in SCVI's development. Sounds like Okubo has as much heart as we do but the higher ups couldn't care less and are practically TRYING to f*ck them over, and that's really soul destroying to know that we COULD have gotten an even bigger and better game had Namco actually given them free reign and a better budget. It's alright sitting there and saying "Oh we don't believe you'll sell well, so here's a crappy budget" but how do you expect them to make a game that WILL sell well if the budget is so low that the roster and stages are the smallest yet and we don't even have 2P costumes? It's a vicious circle. I just hope those in the community who are able to can help keep the franchise alive, and that the team can work within Namco's sh*tty limitations and prove them wrong and that the soul still burns strong. #Cheese.

Rant aside, I do believe that if Cassandra is in Sophitia's story mode (and presumably voice-acted) then Amy will be in Raphael's since his entire story revolves around her. It's better than nothing and I hope they do it justice. I hope CAS is powerful enough to make a decent Amy with Raph's style like I had to in SCV. Heck it'd be awesome if they had Bonus Character CAS's like in III with Amy's debut and you could play as her for a battle in his story or something.

I agree with everyone you said Pal really nicely put. BUT I think I'll have to defend the Namcops cuz people really need to understand that even though SoulCalibur isn't getting the same budged, in the same time Namcops never really decided to totally pull the plug and gave Okubo the chance to finish the game even after someone before him screwed everything up.
So they do care a bit they just don't have THE MAN that is able to take care of the series, but they probably believe in Okubo if they gave him the chance to prove he is capable of leading the project.
Plus budget doesn't mean all that much, it's about how you dispose it, you can cut stuff here and there while focusing on the main bits of the game and still do it right.
Nier Automata didn't had a AAA budged but it managed to sell as good as one, so it is still possible.

They did say that but that's what happened in the original story. Siegfried was freed but later regressed back into nightmare before SC2 started.
Yeah but Kilik and friends gets glossed over in favor of Raphael doing it since that's the one that sticks you know?
It seemed weird to highlight in a way I guess is my point.
It might be that he only needed freed the one time instead of by Raphael again. I don't know. I'm still very overthinking the Raphael situation and comments that I had back then. Sorry. lol

They should just announce all at once in the next week Hwang, Lizardman, Raph, Amy, Setsuka, Hilde, Cassandra, new female character ... whether planned DLC or base... so we can all get on with our lives :p (We already know Cervantes is in)

Heck, maybe they can tackle two birds with one stone and release Inferna, new female mimic, since no one cares about Inferno. :p

I'm sure someone here can find and confirm this, but back when Siegfried was revealed, didn't the bio they 'press released' with him state that Kilik and his companions (meaning Xianghua and Maxi, the latter who wasn't revealed yet) freed him from being Nightmare?
That would mean that Raphael lost his whole large role in the story.

If they changed that and is meant to be taken as they had said, who's to say Raphael's whole story wasn't tweaked if he is present?
Instead of Amy finding him, it could be Viola who takes him in and reads his fortune and wants him to escape his previous set path and unfortunate fate of freeing Nightmare, only to essentially die yet become Nightmare later himself?
I know a lot of people would miss Amy, but that might fit with changing his fate and character direction better.

That would explain the stress sweat...

About Amy and Viola...
The worst case scenario is: Raphael never meets Amy this time around.
In this case, Viola will be DLC and they will pretend Amy never existed rewritting Raphael's story. (So Amy will appear as Viola from now on).

But I am sure they will never do that... I mean Amy was there since SCII intro. People would get angry if they manipulate the lore like that.

The best case: They leave Raphael story intact. Amy is DLC for Season Pass 1. The game will succeed so Viola will be in Season Pass 2.

The case I believe will happen: Amy will appear as 2D model in Rapahel story for fanservice. She won't be playable neither will be included in Season Pass. Viola will be in Season Pass sooner or later cause Okubo said the possibility of bringing back SCV characters too.

That would explain the stress sweat...

About Amy and Viola...
The worst case scenario is: Raphael never meets Amy this time around.
In this case, Viola will be DLC and they will pretend Amy never existed rewritting Raphael's story. (So Amy will appear as Viola from now on).

The best case: They leave Raphael story intact. Amy is DLC for Season Pass 1. The game will succeed so Viola will be in Season Pass 2.

The case I believe will happen: Amy will appear as 2D model in Rapahel story for fanservice. She won't be playable neither will be included in Season Pass. Viola will be in Season Pass sooner or later cause Okubo said the possibility of bringing back SCV characters too.

Maybe they can make a new Viola with a rapier and an orb. :D

What ever they chose to do with the whole Amy Viola thing, they for sure cannot forget that she is quite popular character (more than some) whether it is because of the design, the fighting style or the relationship /story with Raph.

I understand why people would like Amy back, that said, I also understand how Namco could have gotten the impression Amy (which is a theory I also hold to Lizardman) is more of a aesthetic pleasing character.

Think about it, which is the only Bonus character people are adamant about getting back?
latest

If you guess the also frilly dressed, lace adorned emotionless "doll" girl, you got it right. Not only that, Viola was the only popular-ish character in V, so you have that as well.

Yup, Raph fans celebrating.

Lizzy and Hwang fans on the edge of their seats in solidarity.
That's me! Really upset if we don't get any Korean characters to attract the Korean Tekken players... Mina doesn't count!

Azwell kinda reminds me of Dizzy or Testament from GGX!

Who saw the triple Yoshi sweep in the finals? Never seen that before... also several other moves.

I understand why people would like Amy back, that said, I also understand how Namco could have gotten the impression Amy (which is a theory I also hold to Lizardman) is more of a aesthetic pleasing character.

Think about it, which is the only Bonus character people are adamant about getting back?
latest

If you guess the also frilly dressed, lace adorned emotionless "doll" girl, you got it right. Not only that, Viola was the only popular-ish character in V, so you have that as well.
Well you are right that Gothic styles girls are quite popular to begin with, it's also the case of you really like it or you can't stand it. But the truth is we are getting more and more of that archetype of character. Nearly every fighting game have it now.
Even DOA had to put one (that happened to be a f-ing loli too for the "master combo")
Tekken even have 2 with Lili (the soft version) and now Eliza.
Guilty gear got one too Elphelt
Blazblue have Rachel Alucard
Nearly every Japanese fighting game have it or will have it in the near future ^^

That's me! Really upset if we don't get any Korean characters to attract the Korean Tekken players... Mina doesn't count!

Azwell kinda reminds me of Dizzy or Testament from GGX!

Who saw the triple Yoshi sweep in the finals? Never seen that before... also several other moves.
Why wouldn't Mi-na count isn't one enough French only have Raphael and "apperently it's enough" xD

so Cass has been confirmed as not playable on the roster?

At least at launch but if they bother making a 3d model and giving her voices lines she can easily be DLC, that's how I see it.

That could mean that Raphael lost his whole large role in the story.

If they changed that to remove Raphael doing the permanent one and is meant to be taken as they had said, who's to say Raphael's whole story wasn't tweaked if he is present?

The game seems to not go as far as when Raphael frees Siegfried at the end of SC2.

In the end of SC1 and before the beginning of SC2, Siegfried is freed from SoulEdge controle after his defeat for 1 or 2 year, before becoming Nightmare again before the begining of the story of SC2.

Maybe they extrapoled the conclusion of the fight between Nightmare and Kilik, Xiang, Maxi in this article.
Or maybe Namco decided to explain a bit more how Siegfried/Nightmare can still be alive after been defeated...

Anyway, Raphael's seems outside of the main story, that's also match if we consider that the 3 last character in the Story Mode screen are "added" characters which won't interact with SC1 characters aka Raphael, Talim, Zasalamel. Like I explained in my video.

latest

who is this??

Yeah but Kilik and friends gets glossed over in favor of Raphael doing it since that's the one that sticks you know?
It seemed weird to highlight in a way I guess is my point.
It might be that he only needed freed the one time instead of by Raphael again. I don't know. I'm still very overthinking the Raphael situation and comments that I had back then. Sorry. lol
Stop being against Raphael's return, will you? è_é

It is actually Siegfried's story in SC: "freed" by Kilik & Co., supposedly safe yet still having the (weakened) sword, and still under Soul Edge's control during his sleep... Nothing has changed, so Raphael will come and save the day! ^^

Back