Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

In my humble opinion, the armor break system has never been well thought out. It had potential with only small pieces tattering or breaking off of main characters in SCIV, but otherwise has just made whole bodies covered in metal, cloth, and whatever else comically evaporate. That one clip of Raphael's grab stripping Cervantes (post-attack) is perhaps the most positive and appropriate use of the system I've seen; all others are just a character left in their skivvies because of an over-dramatic love tap, hardly lose your shirt-worthy. SCV improved the system by limiting what parts were destroyed and disconnecting the cosmetics from having statistical impacts upon gameplay, but the former still didn't solve some of the awkward appearances breaks could result in.

But if there be fans of this system, so be it. All I ask is that it be made a toggle option in the same way some games allow one to toggle breast physics or subtitles.

--Forgon

In my humble opinion, the armor break system has never been well thought out. It had potential with only small pieces tattering or breaking off of main characters in SCIV, but otherwise has just made whole bodies covered in metal, cloth, and whatever else comically evaporate. That one clip of Raphael's grab stripping Cervantes (post-attack) is perhaps the most positive and appropriate use of the system I've seen; all others are just a character left in their skivvies because of an over-dramatic love tap, hardly lose your shirt-worthy. SCV improved the system by limiting what parts were destroyed and disconnecting the cosmetics from having statistical impacts upon gameplay, but the former still didn't solve some of the awkward appearances breaks could result in.

But if there be fans of this system, so be it. All I ask is that it be made a toggle option in the same way some games allow one to toggle breast physics or subtitles.

--Forgon
this

just let the user choose what can or can't break, problem solved, everyone is happy.

I can't provide a screencap because I can't order posts on fb chronologically, but in an fb post today, promoting the Deluxe Edition, it says it comes with THREE playable characters | 2 armor packs. Can anyone else confirm that that's different from before when we had four?

I can't provide a screencap because I can't order posts on fb chronologically, but in an fb post today, promoting the Deluxe Edition, it says it comes with THREE playable characters | 2 armor packs. Can anyone else confirm that that's different from before when we had four?
tira is a "bonus" character

It was changed to three because of the Tira controversy.

Check it closer, it says 3 playable characters, plus season pass bonus playable character, total 4.
42349700_611634092566858_191150779388657664_o.jpg

It was changed to three because of the Tira controversy.
It has always said three, from the start:

hm it doesn't mention the +100 customization items

guess all those people were bullshitting thinking they were getting 2 armor packs AND 100 customization parts

hm it doesn't mention the +100 customization items

guess all those people were bullshitting thinking they were getting 2 armor packs AND 100 customization parts
That was just poorly designed/badly worded, the implication is/was that the armor packs would contain 100 parts:
The "over" would be talking about the parts from the DLC characters, in all likelihood, and ~50 parts per armor pack.

Some thoughts:

• The change in hair style after high armor break is actually a really cool change (almost feels like a different character)
• I think any helmet / hat removal is pretty cool.
• disappearing undergarments is the opposite effect, and seems really lazy. You start to question if you're fighting with a main character or some CAS at that point (who was too lazy to equip a set).
• Torn clothes is a good substitute, at least it shows that your character got their accouterments destroyed in the middle of an epic battle rather than forget to dress themselves properly in the morning.
• Yes bare chested looks cool, but it has to make sense. If Cervantes only has an overcoat on , then that makes more sense than Raphael who clearly has some layers underneath (vest + cape + shirt) and he ends up in his weird backless undershirt.
• Whats worse is bare legs and feet, which just looks incomplete. If we look at Seong Mina, while she keeps her leggings, I'd prefer if there were at least some rips so that it looks like she's been in a scrap. Have to give SC4 credit, in that their armor break system seems to have involved more effort than SC6

Armour breaks are dumb as all hell and if they didn't get rid of them, I wish the frequency of them would be toned WAY down so they actually only happen once every few games.

Plus they destroy all the hard work I put into my created characters. I don't want people to know my Minotaur character is actually just a fraud human wearing a minotaur mask!!!!!!!

@fjaoaoaoao We (Brazilians) have no connection with Incas/Muísca/Aztecs/Maya, they are very different cultures...

The connection is latin american. Obviously brazilians are distinct in their own right, but to say there is no connection especially in modern times is a bit of hyperbole.

I think a lot of people don't realize just how big Brazil is and the distance it is from there to central America.
View attachment 51429

This is well known among people with geography knowledge.

Latin American countries are underrepresented in modern gaming, no matter the country or culture of origin.

I'm loving everything about the game except for, and I'm going to be brutally honest - the armour break system. It's nothing but gross, disgusting fanservice and I really don't want to play as my mains (most females) in nothing but what looks like beach clothes. It's really off putting and honestly I'm disappointed they felt they had to go this far with it. Soul Calibur has always been bold in exploring sexuality with regard to the presentation of its characters but IMO this takes it too far. That Seong Mina screenshot I saw just confirmed this point of view for me.

I don’t mind sexualization especially if everyone is getting sexualized. The armor break system is underdesigned for sure but I just chalk it up to a silly quirky fun aspect of Soul Calibur. Will become even sillier looking with CaS and joke weapons if there are any.

I sound like a broken record at this point but I think a much bigger issue is the lack of women in the base roster. This disparity is something that you should be seeing in games from the 90s, not today.

Last edited:
latin american countries are indeed underrepresented, but not brazil, brazil or mexico always take the spots , and thats wrong, same thing can be said of europe, that by the way seeing scandinavian representation here for a change is nice

latin american countries are indeed underrepresented, but not brazil, brazil or mexico always take the spots , and thats wrong, same thing can be said of europe, that by the way seeing scandinavian representation here for a change is nice
Does Grøh count as being Scandinavian?

Back