Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I just noticed that they have the gloves/corset for Tira's SCV 2P costume as an unlockable in CaS mode. I was reminded of how bad ass that costume was, and I found it to be odd that the devs would only put one piece of it in SCVI. I'm hoping that they will release DLC with the rest of the costume... What a tease!

They've also only got the shoulders of Zasalamel's SCIV 2p. It's odd.

Man, I was just thinking how awesome Okubo did in such a limited space and budget, making quite possibly the best SC in a long time despite flaws that were out of his control. Hopefully Namco will allow him to make SCVII with a proper budget, because I want to see what he can do with that.

To be honest the same sentences and hype were shown at scV amd scIV launch. They all were the best and short after the worst of the series.
Along with the same clichè "if this doesn t sell well it will be the last" followed by "despite it sold well we expected more thus we will cut support and relocate the team".

I think its too soon to say if this is good or bad.
Frame data is needed and i might be wrong but i think it will totally change the opinion on the game.

For now it was clearly rushed and the budget cut is evident in graphic, netcode bugs and roster+cas cuts.
I also think online and offline tournament character representation and results will even show more problems.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-22-all-eyes-on-red-dead-as-uk-games-retail-falters

Bad news. Looks like SCVI bombed in UK. While we'll have to admit that UK doesn't automatically represent European markets or the US markets, it does maybe give some implication of the general interest. I always thought it stupid to release between Black Ops 4 and what is likely to be the largest release in recent years, RDR2. There's only so much you can handwaive with "the markets don't overlap" when the games in question are this massive.

Anyway, enjoy the season pass 1 content because it seems that it's a real possibility that the series is done after season 1.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-22-all-eyes-on-red-dead-as-uk-games-retail-falters

Bad news. Looks like SCVI bombed in UK. While we'll have to admit that UK doesn't automatically represent European markets or the US markets, it does maybe give some implication of the general interest. I always thought it stupid to release between Black Ops 4 and what is likely to be the largest release in recent years, RDR2. There's only so much you can handwaive with "the markets don't overlap" when the games in question are this massive.

Anyway, enjoy the season pass 1 content because it seems that it's a real possibility that the series is done after season 1.

I'd wait before claiming the apocalypse. These are physical sales for the week ending on the 20th, (reminder SC6 released the 19th), for a fighting game and for a fierce competition.

I'd say we better be cautious and wait for Namco's report.

Also while RDR2 is gonna be an absolute tsunami but keep in mind that it's nothing like SC6 in terms of genre. Most people usually buy more than one game during holiday period and SC6 is unique have great reviews and would be good contrast to RDR2. And above this game will stay 1 year in the media and hype at least because of the season pass. And will get then a goty edition that will help to increase sales even more. (SC4 and 5 didn't have this) .If things goes well there may even be a season pass 2, it's too early to talk about this all I hope is Namco will be happy with sales, considering the game has low budget I guess it would need even less sales than t7 and dbz.

And as said, SteamSpy reports it's already sold 200-500K on PC.

Actually, after the steam sales had time to stabilize, steamspy now reports 100-200k sales. I'm not saying the game will sell abysmally low numbers in general, but I think selling less than SCV is a real possibility, and if SCV numbers were enough to put the series on red and have a second class citizen treatment from Bamco...

I don't automatically believe it's one hundred percent confirmed bomba, but I am preparing myself for the worse, as that scenario isn't exactly some out-there unlikely one.

Regardless, the fact is that fighters don't sell like they used to, but they use DLC and additional content to make up for the difference. Even the king, Street Fighter, struggled heavily. I'd expect for this game to have staying power, given its casual appeal and it improving over time.

Also, isn't that what Tekken 7 sold on PC at first?

At minimum, I would guess something like:
PS4 - 700K
XB1 - 200K
PC - 100K

Considering the budget, I'd wager this is probably successful. And I'd expect the game to have legs considering all of the positive reception.

SCV must have sold at least 2 mill in it's lifetime, as we got reports of 1.7mil sales by may of 2013. So 2mill is a given after all these years, right? That was a budget title too, and propably should not have had to make big money to break even or make profit, yet it was deemed a disappointment. I just can't bring myself to be that optimistic anymore.

It might not just be about having the game do minimal profits to be deemed a success. They might want to pursue big success instead of small success, giving that manpower to a team that is doing something with a more mainstream appeal.

That article is present without context in some respect though. Living in England I can confirm that physical retailers are rarer and rarer and a lot of it is down to inflation and rising living prices and a bunch of other politics that will derail the point. RDR2 has more mass appeal than Soulcalibur, to put it simply.

But to compare the sales of both is misleading, as it suggests that people who bought RDR2 would've bought Soulcalibur... That's disingenuous. It's more likely that they a lot of them simply wouldn't have bought Soulcalibur if RDR2 wasn't a thing.
And this applies to comparing sales of anything. Sure if people have a choice of games they'll go for what they like the most, but a lot of assumption comes off as suggesting people are just buying games for the sake of it.

That article is present without context in some respect though. Living in England I can confirm that physical retailers are rarer and rarer and a lot of it is down to inflation and rising living prices and a bunch of other politics that will derail the point. RDR2 has more mass appeal than Soulcalibur, to put it simply.

But to compare the sales of both is misleading, as it suggests that people who bought RDR2 would've bought Soulcalibur... That's disingenuous. It's more likely that they a lot of them simply wouldn't have bought Soulcalibur if RDR2 wasn't a thing.
And this applies to comparing sales of anything. Sure if people have a choice of games they'll go for what they like the most, but a lot of assumption comes off as suggesting people are just buying games for the sake of it.

All I can say is that I bought SCVI and I'm buying RDR2. UK is known for not having taste and everything except Fifa is on the retail decline there. Like said, UK doesn't represent the whole world.

More information would be nice, particularly about digital sales. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get anything like that unless the game performs absurdly well (in which case Namco will brag about it in a press release) or if Namco lists detailed sales information about the game in a new IR report (but I wanna say they've stopped listing numbers for specific games).

I don't think being 8th in that chart is necessarily damning. Tekken 6 was also 8th in its first week of UK sales and that game had good sales overall (it eventually went on to sell 3 million copies worldwide). The fact that SC6 has only 55% of the sales SC5 had during its first week in UK doesn't sound great, but I'm hoping that just means a lot of copies were sold digitally. There's no doubt that the digital market is a thousand times larger than how it was 6 years ago.

Back