Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

giphy.gif

Calm down. People aren't bad just for questioning the legitimacy of certain moves. There's GI going on all the time when playing on a certain level, it doesn't facilitate things and certainly not against some of her dirtiest range stuff. Nor does GI justify the stinker moves.

I want to make certain i'm not coming off with the "get good scrub, learn to play" attitude that tends to come up here. If you are who i think you are, you've got several Ivy videos up already showcasing rather skilled play. So you're obviously knowledgable about the game. Again, that is IF i'm correct about you.

Your response, i'm going to summarize it as basically you're saying this:

"GI can work against everything so it isnt a valid strategy against Ivy's command throw in terms of balance"

Am i correct in that is basically your point? On the surface this is true but try to understand there is actually a big difference between GIing anything long range to short range attacks. Fighting games are still for the most part heavily close range, especially Soulcalibur. Even when we talk about a character like Ivy being a "Zoner" or "long range type", that is still really only like what, 5 or 6 moves from her that have long reach? Compared to the vast majority of her's and every other characters' moveset being 90% if not completely close range attacks. All of which come out at different frames. I'm sorry but GIing anything from close range is a lot different than GIing the few options Ivy has to even hit an opponent with at distance. So then that should mean GIing Ivy's command throws is a bit more of a legitimate strategy and easier to do because there really isnt a lot of things she can throw at you to vary speed and timing.

Last edited:
There's been no news since that Japanese stream they did one and a half weeks ago. I'm haven't even heard anything from Olcadan in ages. We also haven't seen Vergeben say anything in ages. I wonder if he still thinks it's Lizardman and Hwang we'll get as DLC characters.
ah, thanks. hope we get some 2B info soon.

and yeah, what happened to Vergeben? I miss him??

I want to make certain i'm not coming off with the "get good scrub, learn to play" attitude that tends to come up here. If you are who i think you are, you've got several Ivy videos up already showcasing rather skilled play. So you're obviously knowledgable about the game. Again, that is IF i'm correct about you.
Your response, i'm going to summarize it as basically you're saying this:
"GI can work against everything so it isnt a valid strategy against Ivy's command throw in terms of balance"
Am i correct in that is basically your point? On the surface this is true but try to understand there is actually a big difference between GIing anything long range to short range attacks. Fighting games are still for the most part heavily close range, especially Soulcalibur. Even when we talk about a character like Ivy being a "Zoner" or "long range type", that is still really only like what, 5 or 6 moves from her that have long reach? Compared to the vast majority of her's and every other characters' moveset being 90% if not completely close range attacks. All of which come out at different frames. I'm sorry but GIing anything from close range is a lot different than GIing the few options Ivy has to even hit an opponent with at distance. So then that should mean GIing Ivy's command throws is a bit more of a legitimate strategy and easier to do because there really isnt a lot of things she can throw at you to vary speed and timing.
Can't be me, I got no videos up anywhere.
I'm saying that pointing out the possibility to GI doesn't justify that move's current state in the first place. It's still filfthy no matter what mind gymnastics is applied to rationalize it. It sounds as if you're saying "GI your way to her". GI is always a risk, especially with alot of required movement involved simultanesously. Although Ivy has fewer long range tools people just repeat them, and some do it exceptionally effectively. It's the old easier-said-than-done, and when lag is taken into account GI becomes the bane of the universe. Anyway, I know I'm not grabbing all this out between my rosy buttcheeks, the criticism is widespread enough to solicit some validity, or at the very least a serious discussion instead of negligently going the "improve your play" route.

Last edited:
2a+g needs some tweaks. I think the best thing would be to make it steppable but you could also make its animation way more distinct from that middle hit (can't remember the input) or at least having way bigger whiff window because as it is right now it's way to small. I would also make her non JF command grab breakable but with small window. Other than that she is actually manageable at least offline

Wish they'd hurry it up with 2B. I suspect people will forget to complain about Ivy when a character drops with similar ranged options plus decent close range ones and dashes. At least Ivy doesnt move around very well.

you could also make its animation way more distinct

Thinking about this I have a suggestion, a break attack spark for Fear's Void - (2 or 3 B+K) would make this visually stand out from the Vile Condemnation throw (2 or 3 A+G). It would mean a buff to Ivy (I can hear the screams already) but you will get a visual cue as you can see from Stinging Souls (8 or 9 B+K). If this buff to Ivy is too much then I would also recommend Ivy to say "enslaved" much earlier than she does now due to the fact you're committed to the move unlike Fear's Void which can be cancelled.

Wish they'd hurry it up with 2B. I suspect people will forget to complain about Ivy when a character drops with similar ranged options plus decent close range ones and dashes. At least Ivy doesn't move around very well.
I wouldn't say they need to rush her, but I wish they would just announce the release date already. I wouldn't necessarily mind if ends coming out like December 20th or January 2nd or whatever; just tell us when it's coming out. They probably won't though. I seemed to have noticed a pattern where Namco feels the need to withhold such basic essential info for dlc stuff until it's like the next week/few days away from coming out anyway.

Last edited:
2a+g needs some tweaks. I think the best thing would be to make it steppable but you could also make its animation way more distinct from that middle hit (can't remember the input) or at least having way bigger whiff window because as it is right now it's way to small. I would also make her non JF command grab breakable but with small window. Other than that she is actually manageable at least offline
Calamity Symphony is breakable. Summon Suffering isn't but you can duck or Guard Impact. She's also not the only person who has an unbreakable throw. 2A+G is distinct. People crouch block and GI me.

Can't be me, I got no videos up anywhere.
I'm saying that pointing out the possibility to GI doesn't justify that move's current state in the first place. It's still filfthy no matter what mind gymnastics is applied to rationalize it. It sounds as if you're saying "GI your way to her". GI is always a risk, especially with alot of required movement involved simultanesously. Although Ivy has fewer long range tools people just repeat them, and some do it exceptionally effectively. It's the old easier-said-than-done, and when lag is taken into account GI becomes the bane of the universe. Anyway, I know I'm not grabbing all this out between my rosy buttcheeks, the criticism is widespread enough to solicit some validity, or at the very least a serious discussion instead of negligently going the "improve your play" route.

I think maybe you just like to whine or you're just bad. Maybe you should post vids of you fighting her instead of going off your word? That way someone can give critiques instead of debating in an echo chamber? Maybe you can makes some Ivy friends and practice?

I think maybe you just like to whine or you're just bad. Maybe you should post vids of you fighting her instead of going off your word? That way someone can give critiques instead of debating in an echo chamber? Maybe you can makes some Ivy friends and practice?
Again, calm down. Let's pretend you weren't this presumptious. You'll find my answer in my previous post.

Again, calm down. Let's pretend you weren't this presumptious. You'll find my answer in my previous post.
We can't pretend about something that doesn't apply. Glad I maybe struck a nerve, hoping that means you're paying attention. Please go do any of the suggestions I gave, all of them are more productive that what you're been doing. They are all solutions. Especially the replays.

Back