Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I don't think we appreciated this upcoming DLC outfit enough. I didn't know it was open in the back, I thought it was a full nightgown lol. Idk how to do spoilers.

Attachments

• 28-1kaineconcept.jpg
    28-1kaineconcept.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 476
  • Kaine.png
    Kaine.png
    270.2 KB · Views: 393
I've said it before and I'll say it again; If you have played the original Nier and know of the context of that outfit, it ceases to be ugly and instead radiates an inspiring symbolism for people who aren't bigots. Of course you could still find it ugly, but the symbolism still remains =P
Kaine best girl.

Personally, the context doesn't endear the design to me in any way whatsoever, as the symbolism could have been achieved even without making her a lingerie model.

I hope the shoes and gloves are separate parts at least.
Though in all likelihood the whole thing will be one piece and barely compatible with anything else. I wish we had at least gotten her hair.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; If you have played the original Nier and know of the context of that outfit, it ceases to be ugly and instead radiates an inspiring symbolism for people who aren't bigots. Of course you could still find it ugly, but the symbolism still remains =P
Kaine best girl.
I thought it was pretty cool that Kainé is Intersex/a Hermaphrodite and chose to show off the femininity of their body. This is about the same as Ivy's outfits except this one has a sweet ass window. I'm lowkey shocked that no one looked up the outfit. I don't see how it's ugly, especially since you can edit it.

I don't blame people for thinking it's ugly especially if they don't know about the character - it's not something you'd want to be seen wearing in public, exactly, so I'll give them that.

Personally, the context doesn't endear the design to me in any way whatsoever, as the symbolism could have been achieved even without making her a lingerie model.

I disagree. Other forms of symbolism could have been achieved but the way it was done in reality is much more impactful than anything else could have been, honestly. What better way to shove it to the judgement of society and the bullies and bigots of the world other than to show off what makes them so angry in full force and to show off what makes you proud of yourself? (In Kaine's case, her femininity.) By wearing such revealing clothing she's telling the world that it can get fucked if it doesn't like it and she's telling the world that she is a woman regardless of what anyone else thinks and regardless of whatever genitalia she may have. She's giving power to her identity and using it to fight off the ugly side of the world that wants nothing more than to make her feel worthless and vulnerable. She's proving her strength by wearing what she does.

Other forms of symbolism could have been achieved but the way it was done in reality is much more impactful than anything else could have been, honestly. What better way to shove it to the judgement of society and the bullies and bigots of the world other than to show off what makes them so angry in full force and to show off what makes you proud of yourself? (In Kaine's case, her femininity.) By wearing such revealing clothing she's telling the world that it can get fucked if it doesn't like it and she's telling the world that she is a woman regardless of what anyone else thinks and regardless of whatever genitalia she may have. She's giving power to her identity and using it to fight off the ugly side of the world that wants nothing more than to make her feel worthless and vulnerable. She's proving her strength by wearing what she does.

O maybe it's just an excuse to show some fan service.

I'm totally fine with just about anything but i think there should be a 1 to 1 ratio rule for revealing outfits. For anything that exposes ass and titties, there should also be something conservative or "normal" looking to wear.

Same goes for males too. As a straight male i can still say i've never been put off by males exposing most of their skin. I see the human body in top physical condition as a work of art, not just sexually.

Honestly, with the equipment break system working the way it does in this game, i wish all characters were covered up more conservatively. I would have liked Ivy wearing a skirt maybe similar to her SC4 alt and revealed her current body suit once an opponent breaks off the pieces. That would have made the equipment break mechanic feel more relevant if it was like that but if all the females are already dressed down as it is... whats the point?

Knowing Yoko Taro I'm 99% sure most of the design choice was for fanservice, though his actual reasoning for making the character a hermaphrodite was just cause why not, the same reasoning for making Emil gay. There's an in-lore reason as to actually why Kaine is a hermaphrodite, but I don't feel like getting into spoiler territory. Kaine also straight up has a bulge in her in-game model, and there happens to be a completely canon sidestory where a rando becomes infatuated with her, comes across her having some serious post-shade-murder alone funtime, and runs off horrified.

O maybe it's just an excuse to show some fan service.

Or maybe you should not look at things from only a surface level and try to look at the deeper meaning of things (the deeper meanings that have been confirmed)? Or MAYBE we could acknowledge the possibility that maybe a costume can be both sexy fan service and also be symbolic of a character's personal nuances at the same time? Shocking, I know.

Or maybe you should not look at things from only a surface level and try to look at the deeper meaning of things (the deeper meanings that have been confirmed)? Or MAYBE we could acknowledge the possibility that maybe a costume can be both sexy fan service and also be symbolic of a character's personal nuances at the same time? Shocking, I know.

Just seems a pity excuse to show some flesh, but wathever you want to think about it.

Just seems a pity excuse to show some flesh, but wathever you want to think about it.

What I think about it is the same as the fact of the matter. You're ignoring the effort I'm putting into my explanations and not actually considering anything beyond what you want to believe. <-- This is also a fact. Glad we know what facts are now.

Also, let's consider for a moment that most people who enjoy meaningless fan service tend to be basement incels (not all of them; no offense to some here.) You really feel that group's gonna want to get off to an intersex individual who isn't ashamed of who they are? Only a minority are into that costume on her for the sex appeal; most people who appreciate it appreciate the story and symbolism behind it. Trust me.

the line separating projecting feminine confidence and trashy fan service with a reason made up post design approval has been crossed a long time ago with this particular design. it's hilarious that just because there is some story attached to it, people will try to make up excuses for what is blatantly fan service. being proud of your femininity and expressing it by wearing underwear to battle? get a grip. obviously this design was made before it was even decided to make her a hermaphrodite. It is fetishized and overworked to the point that it was probably the designers fantasy fetish for a long time before they started working on the game.
this game already has enough revealing underwear. I wanna make cool looking fighters, not victoria's secret models. worst part about this is that we probably won't be able to put anything on top of this, because it's gonna clip horrendously. and every second match online is gonna wear this, if people are still playing by then, that is...

Last edited:
I still argue that no one is inherently sexual unless it's ecchi or an H-Game. I don't see men scrutinized the same way. Voldo is just "creepy", SC5 Algol was just a running joke for a bit, Mitsu's armor break is usually just called "unnecessary" or "silly", no one calls exposed abs (Maxi) and the like fanservice. Astaroth has a humanoid shape in most appearances and isn't considered fanservice even though he's bara material. I hardly recall anyone fussing about SC4 Setsuka but she's super tomboyish and serious. Which is what Kaine, Ivy, 2B, etc are.

I think discernment is important because we just haphazardly call everything fanservice

Back