Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Why is that? What is different? I read the patch notes, none of her close range stuff changed.
Lack of reliable threat of CE probably. She has lots of tools to push back her opponents. She also has really great, difficult to block lows and on top of it her throws are a pain so she still can handle herself

*Think of Azwel, Groh, whole SCV cast and Algol* I can't agree about last part.

I understand that one can have fun with 2B, but she is so unfitting to me. The lore, the design, the gameplay, up to the voice of the pod, nothing seem to belong to SC. Althought I liked Automata.

Even Vador fitted SC better (gameplay-wise).

Well then i guess its just preference then. You dont like Azwel or Groh?

Like I said, got back on it after awhile oh hey look my 1st match is nightmare spamming RE. Oh look 2nd match is another nightmare doing the same moves over and over barrier burst barrier burst.

Cass? Hell yes! Amy? Fuck no.

But I would rather take amy, a veteran, any day of the week over 2b, azwel, viola, algol, zwei or any other blazblue-like anime BULLSHIT. Those characters don't belong in SC. Give me basic medieval weapons, and I'm happy. Groh is a fine addition, even though a double sided blade that detaches never existed and isn't practical, at least it's not some projectile magic summoning crap.

I understand SC has always implemented supernatural elements, and impossible physics and athleticism. Fantasy itself is fine, as long as the fighting style is somewhat loosely based on something real.

Hilde would be great, spear and sword, very medieval. Setsuka? Another yes from me,. also because they too are veterans. I don't even mind Geralt either, 90% of his attacks are just basic sword moves.
Totally agree. Diverse weapons are way more appealing than just different play-styles for the same weapons. Also, I DEFINITELY AGREE on the 2B, Azwel, Viola, ZWEI and Algol statement; it's ok to have some "fantasy", but c'mon... 2B is way out of place, and somewhat of an autopilot character, and don't get me started on ASSwel. Neither of them require much effort to master, and given their abilities, range, and speed, they are top tier (at least Azwel is, still too early to judge 2B). I did buy the season pass nonetheless, because SC is my favorite fighting game by far, and because I believe in supporting the game, so we can have more games/DLCs. I just hope season 2 is a thing, and if so, please bamco, please add variety in the form of old-school weapons/styles.

So before we have pages and pages of realism and tradition talk, can we see how hype and successful 2B is? So many people are playing her. I'm curious as to the data of her downloads and users. I think more characters like her would make the franchise much more successful. Seeing her moves makes me wonder about an actual mage with a tome and/or wand in addition to Viola coming back.

I always find it amusing how there is no consensus on the characters, and some people say some characters absolutely shouldn't be in while others say they couldn't possibly not be in. The original prognosis of Amy and Cassandra due to their unique designs in the art really makes it seem like they were planned from the start, and that there were no other possible outcomes, same as that they had 2B planned since January, and you'd better believe that Tira was also planned early on, not some late addition just because of fan demand. The more speculative stuff comes in with regards to Hwang, Lizardman, and Edge Master, since it seems like it would be implied that they would have been included but weren't due to time/budget constraints. And because Hwang and Lizardman didn't make it, they could have been DLC, but the higher-ups pushed Amy and Cassandra to DLC instead, making Hwang and Lizardman not in the game at all, else only with a season two pass. Yun-seong and Hilde are name dropped but not seen, so they really don't seem like they were planned at any point in the process. Setsuka is hardly mentioned at all, only in a training document, so she really doesn't seem like she was planned either.

Different characters are annoying or likable for different reasons but one common theme with me is i dont like characters with moves, stances, attitudes that arent fighters. Xianghua is the worst offender. Girl looks like she skipped dance class to go have duels. Even Talim's attacks appear more dangerous than her's. I suppose a similar thing could be said about Tira but i like her. That is because gloomy stance moves combined with her psychotic attitude makes her a likable fighter. I probably wouldnt care for a pure jolly stance good girl Tira.

Azwel appears to be conducting an orchestra and that isnt appealing at all. But then suddenly he gets a wrestling move off a counter hit... why that exactly? Weird with no consistent reason or theme to it. I miss Algol. It was the attitude, voice and direct physical nature of his moves that sold me. The throne probably helped too, that was like... a badge that proved superiority and dominance. I can understand people not liking all the crap he made out of nowhere but to me, the explanation for that is that he was literally a character that could use imagination for weapons and make it real. That to me made the nonsense from him make sense... if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I think the entire roster (including DLC characters) was set in stone long ago. Developing content like this doesn't exactly happen overnight, and it all makes sense when you think about it.

Everything in game files points to Tira being developed at the same time as the main cast. Cassandra and Amy are the only non-playable characters with new, intricate designs so I think they were planned to be DLC extremely early on. Hwang, Edge Master, and Lizardman were probably added to the story mainly because they were part of SC1 (which makes Rock the only SC1 character who is 100% missing). It's a bit strange Edge Master is listed as a fighting style, but I think that's explained by the Libra of Soul character cameo in the story mode (Libra of Soul is called Edge Master in game files). The Lizardman fighting style must have been something they added to have some extra variety with enemies. I think there's no way that fighting style was planned to be used by human players considering how it's built.

I don't think we could have done anything to affect the current roster (though I wouldn't be surprised if they paid attention to the 2015 Facebook poll), but I think they'll definitely take in current feedback for planning the next season pass (if they do one).

Also, ditto about the whole fantastical vs realistic weapons thing. Part of the appeal for me is that Soul Calibur has traditionally based fighting styles on realistic weapons (or weapons which aren't too crazy, like Ivy's sword-whip). The weirder and more unrealistic the weapon is, the less appealing I find the character. One problem I have is that they feel harder to read. When you think of a person with a sword, you have a general sense of what type of motions they're capable of doing. If someone fights with weapons conjured from the ether, then it's completely arbitrary.

Well then i guess its just preference then. You dont like Azwel or Groh?

No, but Groh being a lesser issue to me. I don't like his visual design, but gameplay-wise I'm OK with him.
Azwel, I don't like anything about him, starting with the flashing, switching, creating from nowhere weapons.

I still fail to see how 2B seems out of place in a magically fantastical weapons-based fighter grounded in a magical fantastical version of Earth's history.

We are talking of a character shooting laser beam. Where do you put the limit then? Not being a guest, do you imagine such a character being implemented?

No, but Groh being a lesser issue to me. I don't like his visual design, but gameplay-wise I'm OK with him.
Azwel, I don't like anything about him, starting with the flashing, switching, creating from nowhere weapons.

We are talking of a character shooting laser beam. Where do you put the limit then? Not being a guest, do you imagine such a character being implemented?

Night Terror can shoot laser beams, and so did the Devil Jin CaS style from SCV.

Too many of these arbitrary limitations placed on what is and aren't acceptable breaks from reality when the series has been bending the rules since its inception.

Well, magic exists within the Nier universe. Its actually semi-confirmed from Tara himself that all her attacks and weapon properties are fueled by "old-world magic." That's why her weapons float and disappear and why you occasionally see symbols (angelic language) in her weapon effects. She makes as much sense as Azwel, Algol, Inferno, and the spirit swords.

Well, magic exists within the Nier universe. Its actually semi-confirmed from Tara himself that all her attacks and weapon properties are fueled by "old-world magic." That's why her weapons float and disappear and why you occasionally see symbols (angelic language) in her weapon effects. She makes as much sense as Azwel, Algol, Inferno, and the spirit swords.
Calibur has always had magical/fantasy stuff centred around it in general.

Back