Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Does anyone understand seong mina and Ivy's interactions before the fight? Is mina jealous of Ivy's boobs or something? I didn't think they would even run across each other canonically, unless it's just for humor.
They did have a canon matchup, where Mi-na was defeated by Ivy. But yes, comparing breast sizes in a jealousy/mocking manner is a common trope.

Well, magic exists within the Nier universe. Its actually semi-confirmed from Tara himself that all her attacks and weapon properties are fueled by "old-world magic." That's why her weapons float and disappear and why you occasionally see symbols (angelic language) in her weapon effects. She makes as much sense as Azwel, Algol, Inferno, and the spirit swords.
None of those characters make sense in the SC world. Real weapons+ a touch of magic is what SC has been tradtionally. A sword with flames on it is one thing, conjuring weapons out of thin air is on another level.

Yes the distinction is arbitrary, subjective, I admit. But you will find quite a few people who think like me on this, so clearly there is a line in the sand. Blind imagination makes a mess of things, it needs limits.

But MY opinions don't matter. Clearly this is the direction SC is going in. Expect more ridiculous fighting styles in future SC titles, with a much higher emphasis on supernatural.

As long as there's still basic weapons I'm still playing SC.

Yeah, I think the entire roster (including DLC characters) was set in stone long ago. Developing content like this doesn't exactly happen overnight, and it all makes sense when you think about it.

Everything in game files points to Tira being developed at the same time as the main cast. Cassandra and Amy are the only non-playable characters with new, intricate designs so I think they were planned to be DLC extremely early on. Hwang, Edge Master, and Lizardman were probably added to the story mainly because they were part of SC1 (which makes Rock the only SC1 character who is 100% missing). It's a bit strange Edge Master is listed as a fighting style, but I think that's explained by the Libra of Soul character cameo in the story mode (Libra of Soul is called Edge Master in game files). The Lizardman fighting style must have been something they added to have some extra variety with enemies. I think there's no way that fighting style was planned to be used by human players considering how it's built.

I don't think we could have done anything to affect the current roster (though I wouldn't be surprised if they paid attention to the 2015 Facebook poll), but I think they'll definitely take in current feedback for planning the next season pass (if they do one).

Also, ditto about the whole fantastical vs realistic weapons thing. Part of the appeal for me is that Soul Calibur has traditionally based fighting styles on realistic weapons (or weapons which aren't too crazy, like Ivy's sword-whip). The weirder and more unrealistic the weapon is, the less appealing I find the character. One problem I have is that they feel harder to read. When you think of a person with a sword, you have a general sense of what type of motions they're capable of doing. If someone fights with weapons conjured from the ether, then it's completely arbitrary.

You must hate Voldo but he is kind of the opposite. Impossible to read because of the character and how he moves.

Well, magic exists within the Nier universe. Its actually semi-confirmed from Tara himself that all her attacks and weapon properties are fueled by "old-world magic." That's why her weapons float and disappear and why you occasionally see symbols (angelic language) in her weapon effects. She makes as much sense as Azwel, Algol, Inferno, and the spirit swords.

Its still a technological android though. Even if her origins cites mystical/spiritual power as a source for her weapons and abilities, we still see a floating robot, that talks and behaves like a robot. There are things that are typical in fantasy medieval games and things that are not. Try to understand the reason a weapons based fighting game would be appealing in the first place. If they wanted anything modern, they'd go play Tekken. Some of us just dont want pick a samurai and repeatedly fight androids, it just should be pretty easy to understand.
Yes, an undead pirate who floats around and shoots a pistol is infinitely more acceptable. And yes, a mystical ancient king who can conjure weapons to whatever form he can think of is also more acceptable than a robot.

Its just going to be off putting to some people. Not everyone obviously but it really should be easy to understand why.

I really don't understand how we never seen any Raphael in Top 8, dunno maybe it's just me but he feels quite Strong tbh or maybe he's not beloved or popular in US

Night Terror can shoot laser beams, and so did the Devil Jin CaS style from SCV.

Too many of these arbitrary limitations placed on what is and aren't acceptable breaks from reality when the series has been bending the rules since its inception.

Arbitrary, yes. But unrealistic is different of incoherent. A medieval universe with laser-beam robots isn't coherent. Demon using "magic energy" isn't the same as pod shouting laser beam.

And we're just talking of design here, but her gameplay (her way to move specially) is out of place. By the way, I see a lot of weird positionning when fighting her.

She is here, I will deal with it, and again I understand that some are happy with it. But it should also be easy to understand why she looks out of place in SC. Using a blade isn't a sufficient condition to fit the universe.

You must hate Voldo but he is kind of the opposite. Impossible to read because of the character and how he moves.
Yup, I've never been a Voldo fan and that's one of the primary reasons.

I'm not against anything magical/fantastical, it's just there's a certain line I'd rather not see crossed. Viola I thought was fine with her magical ball thing. I'm less impressed by Azwel considering some of his bizarre moves and the fact he's an over-the-top visual spectacle. Fighting him feels like fighting one of those CAS in SC5 with huge barrels around them making it really hard to see what they're doing.

There are files implying they'll release DLC music from all SC games. Though I dunno why they're stalling to release any of it. I'm not a huge fan of the SC6 soundtrack, so I'd love music from SC2-4 to replace it.

This would be great but to be honest, if they don't give us an option to turn off that horrible, irritating dynamic fade-out effect that kicks in during CE and other slo mo events during fights then they shouldn't bother giving us anymore music.

I want to actually hear the tracks during fights but the dynamic fading effect makes it virtually impossible.

The first time I was able to hear the stage music properly was in creation and only at that point did I realise that nearly all the stage music is great and very infectious. But you can't hear it properly during the fights, it's kind of sad.

If they give us dlc music then a new toggle in options to turn off dynamic fading should be added in options so we can keep the music volume constant during fights.

This would be great but to be honest, if they don't give us an option to turn off that horrible, irritating dynamic fade-out effect that kicks in during CE and other slo mo events during fights then they shouldn't bother giving us anymore music.

I want to actually hear the tracks during fights but the dynamic fading effect makes it virtually impossible.

The first time I was able to hear the stage music properly was in creation and only at that point did I realise that nearly all the stage music is great and very infectious. But you can't hear it properly during the fights, it's kind of sad.

If they give us dlc music then a new toggle in options to turn off dynamic fading should be added in options so we can keep the music volume constant during fights.
I'm pretty sure the game fades into an alternate version of the track (with a big focus on drums) during slow motion (at least during RE. I can't remember how it sounds during CE). There are no such alternate versions of old tracks, so I assume the game wouldn't do it with DLC tracks. Maybe I should try to force the SC1 music on to see how it's actually implemented.

SCIV literally introduced laser sword wielding alien guest stars and a canon robot character (who would later become the basis for the automaton race in VI), but I guess we'll continue to pick and choose what we wanna acknowledge.

Among player saying 2B doesn't fit the game, I saw no-one pretending Yoda, Vader or Ashlotte fitted the game. Do you? 2B is just one of the worse, cause of her her gameplay doesn't fit either. She is still better than Yoda.

And If you are refering to Ashlotte, she isn't canon, she is a bonus character.

Among player saying 2B doesn't fit the game, I saw no-one pretending Yoda, Vader or Ashlotte fitted the game. Do you? 2B is just one of the worse, cause of her her gameplay doesn't fit either. She is still better than Yoda.

And If you are refering to Ashlotte, she isn't canon, she is a bonus character.

Just a few pages back someone said Vader fit the game better than 2B.

And Ashlotte is pretty much canon considering she was responsible for the original Astaroth's demise (which sparked the mass production of Astaroths in V due to her bringing back his heart).

Besides that, it's not about why or how X fits the game better than Y, it's more about why are we holding these characters up to standards that the game itself can't even hold itself up to?

I'm pretty sure the game fades into an alternate version of the track (with a big focus on drums) during slow motion (at least during RE. I can't remember how it sounds during CE). There are no such alternate versions of old tracks, so I assume the game wouldn't do it with DLC tracks. Maybe I should try to force the SC1 music on to see how it's actually implemented.

Indeed. Also on Oshtriensburg's Castle last round (when it's lit in fire).

Who you would like to see the most as remaining DLC characters - Hwang, Lizardman, Setsuka, Cassandra or New female character?

Wow. I have not seen a single good looking CAS online ever. Why are they all so ugly? Even the normal character edits looks horrendous.

SC players just suck at designing I guess. Call me a purest, I like the originals.
Have you looked at the character edits here?

https://8wayrun.com/forums/create-a-soul-formulas.59/

I think there are a lot of really good custom characters in there. The biggest problem with them in game is floaty equipment, clipping, and destructible items. Those three things are just part of the system and can easily ruin a well-designed alternate.

Last edited:
Just a few pages back someone said Vader fit the game better than 2B.

And Ashlotte is pretty much canon considering she was responsible for the original Astaroth's demise (which sparked the mass production of Astaroths in V due to her bringing back his heart).

Besides that, it's not about why or how X fits the game better than Y, it's more about why are we holding these characters up to standards that the game itself can't even hold itself up to?
Because when you look at the moveset of Vader he does fit into SC game way better than 2B. I personally also think that her moveset belongs into a 2D fighter but that is kinda redundant - she is here, she will stay here, she doesn't seem to be broken and she will also add some additional funds to the franchise so she will do good. Also any characters butt will look better in her costume so it's a winrar

Because when you look at the moveset of Vader he does fit into SC game way better than 2B. I personally also think that her moveset belongs into a 2D fighter but that is kinda redundant - she is here, she will stay here, she doesn't seem to be broken and she will also add some additional funds to the franchise so she will do good. Also any characters butt will look better in her costume so it's a winrar
If people told you day one shw was broken you would answer that its still early to judge.
The opposite works too.

Her backstep needs to be toned down being the same or even better than old Azwel.

If people told you day one shw was broken you would answer that its still early to judge.
The opposite works too.

Her backstep needs to be toned down being the same or even better than old Azwel.

She looks like she has similar ranged options to Ivy... with absurd movement options. Including back, arial and sudden, full screen offensive. Those are dashes which cancel into several other things. Meaning she doesnt have to commit to a single choice.

If people got on here and bitched about Ivy who could only zone you by pushing you out and then spamming the ranged game... but then she couldnt move around at all. She had no evasive option to get out of shit and her close range ootions are terrible. 2Bs are not.

Of course i am basing this off the videos i've seen. I havent played her so there may be something obvious that im missing. But this definitely looks like MvsC Phoenix shit without the HP nerf.

Back