Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

So.. since the 26th wasn't deconfirmed.. can we hopeful for that date?
At this point, it looks really likely. They deconfirmed a prior leak when it turned out to be phony, but have said absolutely nothing about this one, other than making a vague post about Amy coming 'soon' after the leak happened.

Plus, the last DLC release date was announced at a big Soul Calibur event, and then the DLC was released shortly after it. Confirming the date on the 21st and then releasing her on the 26th would follow this trend.

You always like to say bad things about SCVI in all your posts.
Well, if you do not like my opinion - let's talk about the opinions of others?
On this site, a lot of people asked for Robin Hood or Highlander as guest chars - as well match the timeline and mood of the game.
Instead, in the first season we got 4 waifu.
do you think this is normal?

Well, if you do not like my opinion - let's talk about the opinions of others?
On this site, a lot of people asked for Robin Hood or Highlander as guest chars - as well match the timeline and mood of the game.
It was a business decision. No other guest would have sold nearly as well as 2B, all things considered. As for the season pass being "4 waifu", the only other options were Rock, Li Long, Yun-seong, Setsuka, Aeon, Hwang, Algol, Hilde, and Dampierre. And among those, the other two most popular choices, Setsuka and Hilde, are also "waifu". So.... yeah. Business is business.

LOL, what? Now I'm not saying that you never saw a person suggest those two characters at some point, but "a lot" of people have been advocating for the Highlander? To the extent of their being better picks than Tira, Cassie, or Amy? I'm sorry, did I fall into a Soul Calibur-style time portal back to the mid-90's this morning, and not notice until now. Man, I say this even as someone who actually has two Highlander-based creations in their personally-created library right now: there's no way Duncan Macleod and friggin' Robin Hood are at the top of the list of most marketable potential Soul Calibur characters.

So, a female character=automatic "waifu", huh? And anyone eager to see their return wants that character present in the game because they "want their waifu"? Shove off.

Yeah dude, I do think it's normal for a developer of a fighting game series to prioritize its own roster of returning characters and super marketable guest characters over either a 14th century English folk hero whose main claim to cultural relevance right now is that kids still dress up as him for halloween or the main protagonist of a cult (and now long defunct) tv/movie franchise that the average consumer of Soul Calibur has probably never heard of. I think that's actually about one of the most predictable, "normal" things I can imagine. What I find deeply abnormal is...eh, you know what, it's not worth it.

Last edited:
Or Amy was an artificial human, hence why she doesn't remember having parents.
And her initial lack of emotional affect--this has occurred to me as a possible interpretation of Azwel's words as well. I mean, it would all be a little forced, if you ask me, if it turns out that way, but as options go, I think it would be less of a tonal clash than a plot device of a cloned being--if it were merely a choice between those two options.

Egh, both options sound awful to me. If she's an artificially produced human, then that will feel so forced given her chance(?) meeting with/saving of Raphael -- and how significant that is to both their backstories.

And if Viola is a clone of her, of course, then we get the odd clash in tone.

So yeah, either way, me no likey. Amy is my favorite SC character, so I really want to like what happens in her Soul Chronicle.

Egh, both options sound awful to me. If she's an artificially produced human, then that will feel so forced given her chance(?) meeting with/saving of Raphael -- and how significant that is to both their backstories.

So yeah, either way, me no likey. Amy is my favorite SC character, so I really want to like what happens in her Soul Chronicle.

Agreement all around from me. I hate it when new characters/events are shoe-horned into a story that already stood perfectly well on its own--at least when this alteration is not done in a particularly clever and inspired way. If Amy was always a golem 2.0 or some other such nonsense, then, as you say, there was either a substantial amount of incredibly coincidental happenstance in her meeting Raphael as she did, or else the whole thing was orchestrated by Azwel. Both possibilities are kind of ham-fisted approaches to leveraging Azwel into that story where he wasn't really needed, just to justify a later pay off. But the Amy Xerox approach would be, if anything, even more of an awkward (/"isn't that convenient"/lazy writing) approach to getting both characters in.

Honestly, I'd just as soon they simply had Amy and Viola appear in the same games as the same character pre- and post-amnesia, even if that means they could only manage this in some games. I mean look, suppose they do rush Amy's Soul Chronicle through to the point where she gets turned into Viola (whether they retcon the exact point in time when that happens or not); that means SCVI could easily feature both characters in that instance, and even the most obsessive of "cannon" nerds will be satisfied with that. This means you can also have both in the next game, insofar as you can always have Viola regain her memories and become Amy again (I think it would be nice, afterall, if they finally late Amy grow up--god knows it would shut down a lot of drama here!).

So that's two games without where you can satisfy all continuity concerns and still have both characters/movesets present. And that's assuming the next game even has as much emphasis on a firm continuity as this one does; for all we know, they could go back to skimpy story with the next entry and little concern for whether every member of the roster is super well explained. But even if do get locked into Okubo's strict continuity approach, that carries us through the next two games. And realistically, the next game is a minimum of five years off (yeah, I know some of you want to believe half that, but you're living in a dream world, my friends!) and more than twice that for a hypothetical SCVIII. So that's a long time before they have to worry about finding new ways to justify both characters being in the same game, even if they just go with the traditional Viola=Amnesiac Amy assumption, rather than some convoluted "Amy was always an automaton" or "Amy gets carbon copied" alternatives. As to the screen cap involving Azwel's comments, honestly all of that could mean just about anything at this juncture. We ought to at least wait for the official translation as the best indication of how literal or metaphorical the devs intend that dialogue to be.

I don’t see the big deal about making Viola a clone of Amy. And besides as said SCVII should be sooner than SCVI was because there’s no internal drama this time and the series has its groove again. I suspect SCVII is going to do more original stuff given Zasalamel’s secret ending confirming the reboot so they aren’t strictly bound by the continuity.

Or maybe Azwel is simply using a metaphor to describe Amy's past. You know, how she's never had any agency? How some dude just picked her out of her old life, put her in his mansion and dressed her up in pretty clothes? How she's almost entirely without emotion?

Calling Amy a doll is the PERFECT metaphor for her, and mocking her in this way is very on-brand for Azwel.

This is the simplest explanation and it's hilarious that so many people saw this line and went to "OMG future clone."

Since the Kunpataeku Shrine seems like a base of operations of sorts for Azwel and they’re the ones who created Automatons like Ashlotte... you also have to wonder if Viola is a perfect version of them since she looks more human than the ones like Ashlotte.

Or maybe Azwel is simply using a metaphor to describe Amy's past. You know, how she's never had any agency? How some dude just picked her out of her old life, put her in his mansion and dressed her up in pretty clothes? How she's almost entirely without emotion?

Calling Amy a doll is the PERFECT metaphor for her, and mocking her in this way is very on-brand for Azwel.

This is the simplest explanation and it's hilarious that so many people saw this line and went to "OMG future clone."
Hey, it’s easy to go that route if they want to reintroduce Viola in the NT.

Honestly, I'd just as soon they simply had Amy and Viola appear in the same games as the same character pre- and post-amnesia, even if that means they could only manage this in some games. I mean look, suppose they do rush Amy's Soul Chronicle through to the point where she gets turned into Viola (whether they retcon the exact point in time when that happens or not); that means SCVI could easily feature both characters in that instance, and even the most obsessive of "cannon" nerds will be satisfied with that.
Am obsessive canon nerd. Can confirm.

Rusted said:
(I think it would be nice, afterall, if they finally late Amy grow up--god knows it would shut down a lot of drama here!).
It's cute that you think so!

I agree that's all it's likely to be. I'm equally at a loss as to why so many folks have gone with the clone or automaton theories.

What about having young Viola?
If she has split personality like Tira or is possesed like Sigfried, we could have her play style even if she's 10 centimeters shorter.

Or the most easy solution. Have her Soul Chronicle happen 20 years after and don't give a fuck for her fighting people that don't match her era. In the same way Sigfried and Nightmare can fight in this game or an older Liu Kang exist as selectable character in MKX when it's not canon.

And besides as said SCVII should be sooner than SCVI was because there’s no internal drama this time and the series has its groove again.
I think it may be a little bit sooner, per the decent sales of this game, but I would still not hold my breath on anything less than five years, for the following reasons, among others:
  1. The game receiving a better reception than V and being on-track to out-sell it doesn't really mean much: for the more than 23 year history of the franchise, every single main-line game in the franchise has taken just a little longer than the previous game, regardless of how well the previous game sold. in either absolute or market share terms,
  2. this maps to a larger trend in the industry in general; development is no joke these days if you want to get the game itself right, situate its arrival at an opportune moment (for the game's own sales and the company as a whole, which does not want direct competition between its brands if it can be avoided with careful planning), and do all of this on the kind of budget and shared human resources with other projects that a SC team has to work with, from within Namco, and
  3. even if this game has done a fair job of beginning to mend the reputation of the franchise with consumers, Soul calibur's priority status at Namco remains near an all-time low; the company has a lot of plates in the air, including two other major fighter franchises which are higher profile than Soul Calibur.
So yeah, I do hope for something around five and a half years out from when SCVI first dropped (that is, roughly five years from now), which would still make for a quicker turn-around than between V and VI, but I think anyone hoping for a 2-4 year cycle is not really being realistic.

I suspect SCVII is going to do more original stuff given Zasalamel’s secret ending confirming the reboot so they aren’t strictly bound by the continuity.
It’s not that hard to suspect as much if they’re introducing Viola without the time skip.
Yes, except we don't know for sure if they are introducing her earlier in the story (or at all, beyond some set-up). And they can just as easily place Amy's transmogrification into Viola earlier in the story; so even if you think Viola is coming early, there's no need for an awkward new element (Amy being duplicated/cloned/whatever) to explain that, when the plotline hinted at in the old chronology (Amy loses her memories) would do just as well.

I agree that the Ockham's razor explanation here is that this is just metaphorical wording on Azwel's part. Buuuuut...there is something odd going on here, even so. Azwel speaks to Amy as if he's been observing her for some time and as if he is in a familiar enough position to note a substantial change in her character, which surprises him. He also makes a reference which seems to be suggest he views her as one of his experimental subjects. So, again, we really will need to see further dialogue to make heads or tails of this, but there are indications of some sort of retconning of Amy's story. I'd be surprised if it extends as far as changing Viola=enchanted/amnesiac Amy to Viola=a clone of Amy, though.

Last edited:
If, say, Viola is a clone created by Azwel, how do you think it'll change the course of Soulcalibur?

Back