Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Since we're talking about CaS and older costumes, I'm going to bring up my (potentially unpopular) opinion; I'd prefer it if PS gave us some of the legacy costumes from SC1/2/3 instead of entirely new parts in the creation packs. There's so many good ones to choose from, like the 2P Taki that SSfox posted above, and also the best version of Mitsurugi to ever exist:
Misuragi_1P_Costume.jpg

I really need to put this out there but some of y'all put too much emphasis on the narrative and forget that this is a fighting game and not a JRPG lol. In fighting games, gameplay, movesets, features, design, and character take precedence over the narrative and overall plot. It's why guest characters exist and why some fighting games don't even have a plot. Fighting games are the type of games that will come up with something ridiculous or even retcon the plot a bit just to fit a character into the game.

Hilde is a popular character and she brings in something unique and different to the game. She doesn't necessarily need to tie into the story of SoulCalibur I and II directly and could even have her story tied to new characters like Azwel and Grøh. If there is demand, they will fit her in and come up with a new story for her the same way they came up with new characters and somehow fit them into an already established plot.

----------

On a side note, I also don't believe we will be getting a new character in Season 2. If we are to get a new character, I see it as being saved for Season 3 if we actually get that far. Reason being is that new characters can act as a marketing tool the same way guest characters do and it doesn't sit right when there are established characters that people are waiting for and half of the Season Pass involves a guest and a new character. Now that we have three guest characters, I doubt that Project Soul is going to want to dilute the roster any further and I'm predicting that they would prefer to reveal a new character at the beginning of Season 3 to further strengthen the IP since they would have proven to Bandai Namco that SoulCalibur is a strong IP.

Considering the age of the game now they need to do to this to not only keeps things fresh but to give options to already restricted characters. Even though Taki is a lot better than she was on release I really think she's boring to play in SC6 with how restrictive her options are, they really need to bring back her Exorcism cancel and her neutral combos, she's currently an incomplete character IMO.
At least she was more functional compared to how Astaroth was at launch. He didn’t feel like he was given any play testing at all.

I really need to put this out there but some of y'all put too much emphasis on the narrative and forget that this is a fighting game and not a JRPG lol. In fighting games, gameplay, movesets, features, design, and character take precedence over the narrative and overall plot. It's why guest characters exist and why some fighting games don't even have a plot. Fighting games are the type of games that will come up with something ridiculous or even retcon the plot a bit just to fit a character into the game.
I wish this was always true, but unfortunately, that's not the case. A pretty good example is SC5. It's very clear they designed the roster heavily around the time skip and story mode. There's no way they would have added characters like Alpha Patroklos, Omega Pyrrha, and Elysium if it weren't for the story mode.

Another clear example is DOA6. In an interview, the developers said that one of the primary deciding factors for making the roster was figuring out which characters fit into the story.

I think they've also considered story when deciding characters for SC6, but fortunately, I think the roster overall has turned out pretty good. I just hope the remaining fan-favourite missing characters will make it as DLC.

I wish this was always true, but unfortunately, that's not the case. A pretty good example is SC5. It's very clear they designed the roster heavily around the time skip and story mode. There's no way they would have added characters like Alpha Patroklos, Omega Pyrrha, and Elysium if it weren't for the story mode.

Another clear example is DOA6. In an interview, the developers said that one of the primary deciding factors for making the roster was figuring out which characters fit into the story.

I think they've also considered story when deciding characters for SC6, but fortunately, I think the roster overall has turned out pretty good. I just hope the remaining fan-favourite missing characters will make it as DLC.
Yeah, but keep in mind that the story for SCVI onward is wildly different than SCV because it was made for the iconic cast and was all the better for it. I think Okubo knows not to do what Daishi did.

Tekken 3 handled it pretty good, and even then they had to bring back Kazuya. What I mean is, it's not always about the old characters, but some just can't go.

Yeah, but keep in mind that the story for SCVI onward is wildly different than SCV because it was made for the iconic cast and was all the better for it. I think Okubo knows not to do what Daishi did.
And yet it’s still a pretty big stretch to believe that Algol, Hilde, Viola, or Z.W.E.I. could make it into SoulCalibur VI, based solely on story context, which is absolutely a factor for inclusion in SoulCalibur VI, like it or not.

i think they know that killing a character is a big no no by now.

Of course story matters when it comes to inclusion of a character. The thing is that if they'd want to, they could bring absolutely anyone in and explain it story-wise so in the end it will all depend on popularity and profitability of a character

@Klimat @DanteSC3: regarding the topic of Cassandra's time traveling and just how much of it she does, from a couple of pages back (that I'm being too lazy to directly quote), a couple of details: Yes, unbreakable soul does present Cassandra as time traveling more than once; she's actually the closest thing to a main character that game had, but at first she is bouncing around Quantumn Leap style, until Edge Master finds and assists her. The thing is...that game treats her timeline hoping differently from how it is presented in SCVI. Cassie jumps from timeline to timeline, but stays at the same point in time, I think. In other words, she is an interloper in alternate timelines but she doesn't go back to a point in her own past, as she does here.

So...whether that's connected cannon or not is open to some debate: if it is is, it leaves open the questions of what happened that separated Cassie and Edge Master, does it have something to do with the fact that she is pushing herself into the past now, which maybe Edgy knew was fraught with danger, and how many times did she try to get back? I tend to agree that "tens of thousands" seems unlikely, but I do think the idea is that she has been trying to find her way home in a way that rescues her family from their fate for a long while, and it has taken its toll. It's also worth noting that this clusterfuck of continuity seems to be trying to pull in Broken Destiny a little as well, since that is where the mask, which features so prominently in the Soul Chronicle, originates.

On other topics you two discussed, I expect that Night Terror probably will come back, but probably will not be much better regarded than Inferno was this time around, and may not even get the offline playability treatment. Algol I think is virtually a lock for inclusion.

Considering the age of the game now they need to do to this to not only keeps things fresh but to give options to already restricted characters. Even though Taki is a lot better than she was on release I really think she's boring to play in SC6 with how restrictive her options are, they really need to bring back her Exorcism cancel and her neutral combos, she's currently an incomplete character IMO.
See, now this is definitely a good example of your mileage will vary, because I have an immense amount of fun with Taki's moveset this time around, because of its mix-up potential. Sure, I'll happily take an additional cancel and a combo or two, but I think she's actually as balanced as she's been since the first few games (relative to the game of course). Mind you, I'm like low E class with her, only.

If it was a female character with this concept, I would prefer something that refers to sacrifices and rituals, a sickle would suit her well, they could use Chester's moveset on her.
foice_pirata_pequena_3417_1_20150618235810.jpg

If is man I preferred a spear & shield, using a club or ax would be practically a new skin for Rock.
An Aztec, Mayan or Inca warrior would be awesome as someone who actually has both Aztec, Mayan and even Apache heritage.

Would you prefer single wielding that sickle or duel wielding them and having maybe a hybrid Talim, Voldo and even SCV Aeon fighting style? Maybe that sickle and the sacrificial knife they use to rip out hearts perhaps?

I could picture the female version looking like this.

aztec-woman-drawing-60.jpg

For a male fighter, I expect them to be a sword/spear and shield combo as well such as this:

12-facts-aztec-warrior_12-min.jpg

Or a duel club/axe wielder similar to Aeon from SCV is he doesn't return with that style.

8276482e68eb6a8539262861af9372de.jpg

i just ran into a really weird bug as Cassandra where half way through a fight all my buttons stopped working except for the d-pad, guard and kick, then when the next round started again everything was back to normal.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:
i just ran into a really weird bug as Cassandra where half way through a fight all my buttons stopped working except for the d-pad and kick, then when the next round started again everything was back to normal.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes: it is probable that one of your buttons is sticking--that's usually the cause of the "only d pad inputs are responding" issues. It's only rarely caused by a console hardware issue, and its even more rare that it results from a bug in a particular game.

Yes: it is probable that one of your buttons is sticking--that's usually the cause of the "only d pad inputs are responding" issues. It's only rarely caused by a console hardware issue, and its even more rare that it results from a bug in a particular game.
But I could guard and kick..? And I checked to see if a button was physically stuck and it wasnt. It resolved itself as soon as the round ended.

I’ve also never had an issue with a button physically being stuck before.

Back