Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Honestly, I get the feeling they have season 3 in mind,
Hmm... not sure. Maybe a superficial change so the wording is more precise... ???
For a hot second, it gave me the weird impression that the creation parts set is only gonna be the one associated with the character. But that's my inner pessimist thinking. I hope they give us more CaS stuff, not exclusively tied to the character getting released.
@DanteSC3 My brain literally thought the opposite of yours xD
Don't worry I'm there with you on this. I'm actually going to pretend that I won't get creation stuff that way I'll spare myself the disappointment when/if it ends up being that lost swords crap again.

Just to answer on the extra parts thing, you don't have to have the season pass or associated character to get them. Any bonus outfits, so Amy's and Cassandra's 4 2P costumes, have been part of the free updates and available to everyone immediately. Safe to assume things will stay like that.

SoulCalibur VI - Hilde Battle Director Comment :sc4hil1:
Hilde is back and we now have the game's Battle Director Oosaka give out some comments on how the character is going to be played this time around. For those who are new to her, Hilde is described as a medium to long-range fighter that uses a spear for her stronger vertical strikes and a small sword that she can pull out very fast to cover the horizontal ranges.
Hilde is a midrange fighter who excels in medium to long-range battles, skillfully manipulating the long spear for vertical attacks and a wide range of horizontal slashes with a sword.
For opponents who try to avoid the thrusting attacks from the spear in longer ranges to move in close, it is possible to pull off 'quick-fire' attacks using the sword to mow them down.
Hilde's characteristics of launching a powerful attack by pressing and holding down an attack button for a certain period of time and then releasing it is the same in SOULCALIBUR VI.
For this occasion, the techniques that you have to charge have not changed, but we've improved the overall ease of use by adjusting the attack commands. With the revision of the overall usability of the techniques and the new additions of the special "Regalia Arts" attacks passed down from the royal family, Hilde has become a character that can be enjoyed even by those who are not good at complex input operation.
[1] [2]

Last edited:
Just to answer on the extra parts thing, you don't have to have the season pass or associated character to get them. Any bonus outfits, so Amy's and Cassandra's 4 2P costumes, have been part of the free updates and available to everyone immediately. Safe to assume things will stay like that.
This is true, but the indication of Okubo and the pass image is that each character will also come with a paid pack, for eight total items in season two. The number of DLC items on SteamDB also supports this. Though we still also have that wildcard extra DLC item that’s anyone’s guess.

We are talking about a character who was (given the dominance of men in character design, particularly in japan) almost certainly designed by a man, for an overwhelmingly male audience. Trying to turn this into a female autonomy issue when it's almost certain that no woman had any input on this is so backwards and ridiculous

1) Where did you come up with the presumption that it was dominated by men in the character design
2) why especially in japan.
3) How are you so "almost" certain that there was no women had any input in. Were you part of the internal design team?

I don't even know where to start--except to say that this is pretty par for the course when men talk about women's rights.
You know where should have started ? Looking up your facts rather than typing up paragraphs of ideologically driven rantings.
It sounds like you are hoping no one is calling you out on your bullshit.

It's hard to tell who did what in SC6. But based on the credits there are only two people credited as "Concept Artists". One of them is Kawano (the main illustrator for the series since SC2), and the other one is a woman (I don't recognize her name so I'm not familiar with her work). I'm willing to bet both did a lot of the character designs. We don't know who is responsible for what design, but at least it's certain this wasn't solely done by a team of only male artists.
Yes

Look at Tomoko Imura's comments about Natsu in comparison to Taki for direct evidence (unless you think there's a mistranslation).
We can't let self-righteous overly opinionated white knights come in and shit over our game, when all the facts and evidence directly contradict their malicious attempts to turn this into a gender issue.

Why are we arguing about boobies?
Its completely fine to debate this on a personal aesthetic level, but I can't let it slide when someone starts talking about the game developers and blatantly making stuff up.

Last edited:
This is designed by a woman by the way...
latest

Look up Mari Shimazaki.

I don't want to talk much about this topic, but I just wanna quickly add that there are women at Project Soul who have done character designs. The SC5 artbook interviews 2 women who did a bunch of concepts for that game. One of the over-the-top, fan-service costumes in Lost Swords (the Taki one with superhero vibes) was designed by a woman (the same artist who designed Bayonetta).

It's hard to tell who did what in SC6. But based on the credits there are only two people credited as "Concept Artists". One of them is Kawano (the main illustrator for the series since SC2), and the other one is a woman (I don't recognize her name so I'm not familiar with her work). I'm willing to bet both did a lot of the character designs. We don't know who is responsible for what design, but at least it's certain this wasn't solely done by a team of only male artists.
That's an interesting detail, and I'm curious to know the name of that designer. Regardless, I do appreciate the extra context, though I do not think it undermines the broader argument.

1) Where did you come up with the presumption that it was dominated by men in the character design
2) why especially in japan.
3) How are you so "almost" certain that there was no women had any input in. Were you part of the internal design team?

You know where should have started ? Looking up your facts rather than typing up paragraphs of ideologically driven rantings.
It sounds like you are hoping no one is calling you out on your bullshit.
I don't even know where to start here. I'll cite you some peer-reviewed research, news articles, and Department of Labor statistics if you really want to get that deep into this, but here's the basic breakdown: countries with robust game development industries employ women at proportions that range from 5% to around 20%; in the U.S. and Japan, the rates are presently around 19% and 12% respectively, which is actually up significantly from just a few years ago. Furthermore, women's representation in senior design positions are unequal even within the larger disparity. What's more, the figures scale even more drastically towards imbalance at larger publishers and developers.

I can cite all of this if you truly insist on making me waste an hour of my life to gather and link everything for you, just to respond to your knee-jerk accusation of dishonesty, but the truth is you can find all of it yourself by doing a simple google search for "gender disparity gaming industry". So perhaps you are not in a position to be accusing anyone else of failing to do their research/making shit up. Beyond all of that, I feel like if you didn't already basically know the story of this imbalance you almost certainly know next to nothing about the industry that produces something you care so much about.

And no, of course I am not in the know on precisely how the design came about. But I didn't say that I was, did I? I think if you review what I actually said, it was to the effect of "almost certainly was designed by a man", which, as a statistical matter, is an assertion I stand by--particularly considering it was in response to an argument that suggested that this an affirmatively gender-representation issue. It's very telling to me that you think the onus is on me to prove that this wasn't a statement by a woman as opposed to the person who originally made the tacit suggestion that it was*. But at no point did I intimate that I had first hand knowledge of the matter, clearly.

*(Sorry @Ardenwolf, I really had not intended to criticize further and consider you a gentleman for letting the matter go despite my sharp disagreement; I was about to post and say that I was going to do the same, since it seemed to me that for all of us here, it was becoming a case of debate dragging us to more extreme positions than we had at the beginning, but that's when WuHT made his accusations, to which I feel I must necessarily respond in full.)

We can't let self-righteous overly opinionated white knights come in and shit over our game, when all the facts and evidence directly contradict their malicious attempts to turn this into a gender issue.
I didn't take this to a gendered place, homes. I was responding to a post which had already done that, for the sake of an argument that I just happened to disagree with, as a rationalistic matter, rather than an "ideological" one. As for my "shitting all over the game", you'll find just yesterday that I was saying that the most recent developments (Hilde included) make me feel this is close to becoming the best game in the history of the franchise, which I have played and adored for nearly 25 years. What's more, I have actively gushed over ~Hilde's design~ repeatedly in the last few pages of this very thread...

So no, I was not shitting all over the game. I was having what was mostly, until now, a pretty civil and respectful discussion, one in which others had actually moved my opinion a little and one in which I would like to think I had a chance of moving others, or at least presenting them with a different vantage on the issue. What's more, all of this intellectual effort, silly as it may be, was about a a very small detail of design, a topic upon which the stakes could not be lower. If having an opinion you don't care for regarding one element of one CaS piece is your threshold for taking umbrage on behalf of the series, I don't know what to tell you, except I don't think I'm the one taking things to an out-of-proportion place.

Its completely fine to debate this on a personal aesthetic level, but I can't let it slide when someone starts talking about the game developers and blatantly making stuff up.
Please quote me where I "blatantly made stuff up". Or even better, let's drop the matter for the good of the board, but if you are going to continue to make this allegation, I'd appreciate the courtesy of more specificity, because I don't think I did this or anything remotely like it, anywhere in this discussion. All I said was that I thought that the theory that this was an act of female expression of sexual liberation was highly dubious--and at the very least, not something we could presume without evidence. And again, I stand by that assertion.

Last edited:
This is designed by a woman by the way...
latest

Look up Mari Shimazaki.
This also looks bad. lol

But, you know. I like Bayonetta and Ivy's SCV 2P outfit. Can't win 'em all.

EDIT: Something also to keep in mind is that character designers may do things at the behest of their directors within specific parameters and guidelines. So, it's not always a slam dunk just to say that a woman designed something. I'm not trying to discount, discredit, accuse, etc. Women can certainly design the sexiest of the sexy all on their own with no input. But, just throwing that extra puzzle piece in there for consideration.

Last edited:
If Hilde's breastplate gets people to buy Season 2 then maybe it will greenlight Season 3.

Tekken 7 Season 3 is as of now looking like that game's final season (The slots will be perfectly oriented in customization mode when they all come out)
so I want Soul Calibur 6 to at least get over the 30 character mark!

As for the historical context, there's another presumption in your argument (but tacitly asserted by others here previously) that I'm not sure holds water: if we'd had a more gender-equitable society all along, that women would have done all the same obnoxious things that men did. With regard to any given cultural phenomena, its possible, but far from certain and we cannot re-run history to find out. But I do believe that most women would be offended by the implication that, had they been more enfranchised in power during all of those millennia, their first order of business would have been to run around throwing fake tits all over things where they served no practical purpose, just because, as a historical matter, some men did this with dicks.
Let's see which gender actually volunteers to wear high heels that are uncomfortable to walk in and damaging to human health in a long run, creating all kinds of problems with feet bones and joints; who uses up 95% of piercing jewelry that requires body harm just to put on to begin with; who uses up 95% of makeup products that are a giant waste of time and money with a sole goal to show off. I'm afraid when it comes to impractical fashion choices, men can't really hold a candle to ladies, let's be real here. I bet in a hypothetical more gender-equitable medieval society there would have been at least 10 boob plate cuirasses worn by women for every single guy with an armored codpiece.

The main difference is making a character keep their gimmick while not having to get into fan service.

Ivy's sexualisation is really in character, and when she gets a more "prudish" 2P it's also part of her "raised by nobles" background.

Using ecchi costumes is pure fan service that actually might defile the character (imho). There is a huge difference between forced sexualisation and gimmick-oriented character design.

I don't get what some of you see as wrong with Hilde. She might have been a bit more tomboyish in the previous games, but here we're really into the warrior princess theme: nice hairdo, regal yet fight-prone costume, without trying to hide her "attractive" side. I loved her previous outfits, but this one actually shows us the "princess" side we only got in her 2P...

I have no idea how it is going to be possible to do Haohmaru without making him fight nearly identically to Mitsurugi...they could give him setsuka's moveset but that wouldn't really be true to the character. Mitsurugi and Haohmaru share a lot of the same style of move. Anyone want to take a STAB at predicting how they will make Haohmaru unique?
I think Setsuka's journey of delivering the letter prior to her Master's death could be the basis for her story pretty easily. I'm not horribly fond of her fighting style personally but I do think she has the highest chance of making it in based on their female dlc track record so far. She could also easily fit the soul edge or neutral alignment pretty easily. I think there is a good chance that with Seong Mi-na already being pink in this game that they'll color code her to white or gray or even red to make her stand out a bit more. Hell the color might not even be anything more than the color of her umbrella...

I always imagined Haohmaru to fight like Date Masamune from the Sengoku Basara series, his stance is the same as well as the top down slashes.
But it's always really interesting to discover how they expand or conform such characters into a SC command list they've done a great job so far.
And tekken 7 did a good job with Geese Howard too!
I'm really excited to use CAS with haohmaru!

I always imagined Haohmaru to fight like Date Masamune from the Sengoku Basara series, his stance is the same as well as the top down slashes.
But it's always really interesting to discover how they expand or conform such characters into a SC command list they've done a great job so far.
And tekken 7 did a good job with Geese Howard too!
I'm really excited to use CAS with haohmaru!
I have faith that they can make it work, but I will say that they didn't do themselves any favours in their choice here, from a design perspective. I can appreciate why they felt he was the right choice as a premotional matter, but frankly, it's hard to imagine two characters who come from different fighting game franchises who are more alike than Mitsurugi and Haohmaru. That said, distinguishing initially similar characters is definitely within Project Soul's wheelhouse, even if this effort is going to be constrained by the fact that Mitsu's design is already finalized and Haohmaru's moveset must map closely to his animations and mechanics from the most recent Shodown game.

Using that as a launchpad for speculation, I think one thing we can probably say is that Haohmaru is likely to be a little faster on the draw, but less safe. But take that with a grain of salt, because my time with the most recent SamSho game has been minimal, so I'm curious what others who have played more think of that proposition: does faster & heavier-hitting, but also less safe and slightly less ranged sound about right? The thing that I keep wondering about (and its a small thing, but I can't help it): is there likely to be some mechanic (or maybe just an animation nod) where Haohmaru loses his sword?

Last edited:
I’m thinking that Haohmaru will feel like if they had given Mitsurugi the Amy/Cassandra treatment. Mostly like Mitsurugi, but with additional flair thrown in that no one really asked for. Except for Haohmaru it will make sense, because he has those things in his own game.

@FluffyQuack I saw you posted on reddit that they should port over stages from SC4 and SC5 due to the heavy asset reuse in SC6.

But would the stages even translate well? It seems they need to make stages really big in SC6 due to RE finishers being able to knock you halfway across the stage

Back