Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I expect Season 3 to be announced very soon after Hwang's release if not on the same day. Hwang's story chronicle will most definitely have Yun's cameos in it and we also have the whole Groh's additional story chapters leading somewhere important.
In other words, Yun fans won't have much time at all to entertain the idea of Hwang being the only Korean swordsman when all is said and done.
I've done my best to make this possible. I was planning on purchasing a second digital copy of the game+season pass when Hwang was announced (because of my excitement for Hwang's return), but I realized for that to make any sort of impact on a Season 3 decision, we wouldn't be hearing about it simultaneously with Hwang's announcement -- so I decided to go ahead and do it the day Setsuka was announced.

Hopefully all of you did the same! (It's okay, I know you didn't.)

I've done my best to make this possible. I was planning on purchasing a second digital copy of the game+season pass when Hwang was announced (because of my excitement for Hwang's return), but I realized for that to make any sort of impact on a Season 3 decision, we wouldn't be hearing about it simultaneously with Hwang's announcement -- so I decided to go ahead and do it the day Setsuka was announced.

if hwang is in Season Pass 2 I'll buy Season Pass 2 for my PS4. Currently I only have SP2 only on PC

I mean, I’ve kind of sort of done this, just earlier in the cycle. I bought the game for myself on PS4 (collector’s edition) and PC (where I actually play) with season pass 1+2 (all on announcement days). I’ve bought a second copy of the game with season pass 1 for a friend, and I’ve bought season pass 1 for another friend who got SoulCalibur VI and wasn’t feeling it to rejuvenate their interest in it, in order to convince them to buy season pass 2.

They’re really underselling how much has changed..,

Never played much of Li Long, but my mom used to play him against me and spam the hell out of his moves just to always beat my sorry ass... I've stopped playing Soul Blade with her since then!

Guess it's a bittersweet relationship with poor Li Long :D
I never had much issue with keeping Li Long at bay with Mi-na and Siegfried. But he could definitely be a monster, like sometimes Maxi.

Last edited:
Who woulda throught?
VoldoMoCap.gif

Guess they just sped up the roll.
Would kill to see attempted mantis crawl mo-cap
Would pay to see Sophitia's heaven' arch throw mo-cap

SC4 and above costumes are easier to port, since the texture quality is mostly there.

However, check out the sleeve trim pattern on setsuka's SC4 1p. Its noticeably lower res
1598156061083.png

With that said, I'd still gladly fork over cash to support the developers if they would just re-release SC4/SC5 costumes. Obviously I have my favourites per the quote:

Last edited:
Hwang Archetype is the "Assassin"

Most of his versions of his move are straight forward attack, where he aim vitals parts and don't really push the fancy stuffs.

The best example is how the 44B move has evolved for Hwang, Yun and Xiang:
  • it's fast attack for Xiang with a Parry ability at the end
  • it's smoother backswing with a cancel for Yun
  • it's high hitting (head) but KND with combo for Hwang
Story potential
Yeah it would have been a pretty cool twist it if turns out that
• Hwang grew up valuing justice and despite being poor, was accepted by Seong Han Myong who saw Hwang's potential (as a son he never had, or a future suitor for Mina)
• Mina being rebellious, initially rejects settling down
• Hwang quickly climbed the ranks of the korean military and helps drive away the invading japanese raiders
• Hwang was perceived to be the distinguished national hero due to his deeds. Tales of his valor reach a young Yun Seong who is inspired and signs up at Seong Dojo.
• Hwang earns the adulation of everyone in Seong Dojo, and mostly importantly wins over an initially reluctant Mina.
Twist:
• It turns out that Hwang had to do some pretty dishonorable deeds in order to protect his country
• ie: Hwang would start with a small platoon, but they all get killed by overwhelming japanese forces because Hwang initially wanted to only fight honorably.
• Hwang would assassinate japanese generals while being undercover (rather than honorable 1 on 1 combat)
• Hwang would be forced to execute surrendering japanese spies (some of them young teenagers)
• Hwang actually becomes a feared assassin due to the lethality of his swordsmanship.
• Hwang feels conflicted, since the stories about his glory and honor are not true. On his return after the major war, he feels he's not worthy of being with Mina and inheriting the Seong Dojo.
• Spurned Mina runs off (at least one of her motivations is that she falsely believes Hwang thinks Mina is not a worthy political marriage for his military commander career)
• Hwang sets off after her,
• In his journey down the silk road to central asia / middle east he learns effective techniques from scimitar wielders to compliment his korean swordsmanship.

Gameplay Archtype related:
Before Setsuka was revealed in SC6, I would have totally been onboard that Hwang was a formidable assassin. But now Setsuka seems to have inherited some secret supernatural assassination techniques, where does that leave Hwang ? Would he be the bland "protector of the innocent" ? In fact, wasn't Li Long supposed to be an assassin as well ?

I can see him being a character with solid mid horizontals and + on hit unreactable low pokes (which every character wishes they had) but in order to balance him he'd be more dull and more predictable offensively (without have a special character unique resource)

It might be an amusing side diversion, but I’m pretty sure Hwang as Assassin was just him acting undercover, not him being a literal assassin. Li Long was hired for an assassination mission, but I’m not sure if I would go so far as to say he’s an assassin either. Hwang and Li Long are both quite honorable men.

It might be an amusing side diversion, but I’m pretty sure Hwang as Assassin was just him acting undercover, not him being a literal assassin. Li Long was hired for an assassination mission, but I’m not sure if I would go so far as to say he’s an assassin either. Hwang and Li Long are both quite honorable men.
history hides more than 1 truth
Maybe this would be an opportunity to convey them in a different light

They really went deep in the DLC character stories compared to the main cast

I don't think it's gonna turn out like this, but if it is, I would be happy, hope I'am not spoiling his chronicle but anyway, that's from my ideal chronicle.

Episode 1:
Hwang returns from his first journey, he didn't find Soul Edge, but want to protect his homeland as Coast Guard. That's basically what we saw with Mina first episode, but with Hwang toughts.

Episode 2:
One day when he is doing is Duty as a Coast Guard, Kong, who previsouly have trained Mina comes to see him or meet him somewhere. Hwang learns from him that Mina has left the Dojo

Episode 3:
This information worry him much more than he toughts. (First time he met Mina and bring her back home, he didn't worried that much about her), he starts thinking that he might see her as somebody more important that she was before.

Episode 4:
It tourments him and a clash happens at this time with a Ship. He missjudge this and think it's a Japanese Invasion Ship. He send an order to attack them, but lost many lives by pursing them.

Episode 5:
The Admiral dismiss him from the Guard Coast. But knowing what happenned to his friend daugter he ask Hwang if it affected him. Convinced that it was the case, he then give him Blue Thunder back and ask him to find Mina but in the desguise of finding Soul Edge, because that's actually what he wants to do.

Episode 6:
In the search of Mina, Hwang meets Maxi. By talking to him, they finally understand that they fought in that naval battle. Maxi explain that he was trying to flee and wasn't threatning Hwang's ship. They then talk about Soul Edge, and he learns about Soul Edge being an evil Sword. Maxi explains that he wants to avenge his crew by searching Soul Edge and killing Astaroth. Maxi's story and how perceive his crew as a family to avenge, remind him his new life in the Dojo, and how he now is worried about Mina. This affects Hwang,he start thinking about his own life as a poor orphan who lost his family, and maybe kept blind to a goal to make justice, without counting on other who see him as a precious person. He then thinks about his feelings about Mina and the Dojo.

Episode 7:
Near the zone where the Cult kidnap innocent people. He met a Desert Assassin and spare with him some techniques, this guys also help him by giving precious informations about how to find the Cult and that he have seen a Girl heading to save innocents.

Episode 8:
He finally found Mina in the Cult Shrine. He motivate Mina to wake up and fight. While he deals other foes. After winning, he take back Mina to the Dojo. He says to the autorities that he couldn't find Soul Edge again, but that the sword is evil. He gets fired again and lose his good reputation for failing a second time. However, he thinks deeply about it and while confessing to her and that he realized that the people in the Dojo, Han-Meyong, Yun-Seong, and her, are his precious family, he accept to stays on the dojo to help people that loves him and maybe help becoming later the inheritent of this Dojo.

Episode 9:
Yun-Seong who ideolized Hwang from the beggining is really affected by the faillure of his hero. He then defy Hwang in a battle. Hwang refuse as he sees him as a family member to protect and don't want him to pursue a goal that he might regret.

This will push Yun in his chronicle to convince himself that he can be the Hero people deserve and want to prove that he can sucess where Hwang. have failed and flee from the Dojo with White Thunder.

Last edited:
Back