Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Yes, I recall watching the same interview with the CD Projekt Red personell (it was in one of those Namco publisher diaries in the months immediately before SCVI was released), and as I recall there was no exact mention of sharing assets (which, given the different engines and animation software suites involved, wouldn't necessarily be a super practical approach). Rather, as I recall, they mentioned that Project Soul 'consulted' with them extensively about how to render Geralt and his quality of movement. I'm sure this is probably their established methodology for guests characters at this point.
“SOULCALIBUR is well known in the fighting games genre for including iconic guest characters. When we were approached with the idea of doing a crossover, we thought our community would really enjoy playing as the witcher,” said Marcin Momot, Community Lead at CD PROJEKT RED. “We’ve collaborated with BANDAI NAMCO artists to faithfully recreate Geralt, and shared original Witcher 3 assets like Geralt’s model, animations, and weapons. I think BANDAI NAMCO did an outstanding job of capturing all the details and introducing The Witcher to SOULCALIBUR in a way fans of both series will enjoy.” (source)

Though I'm not a 3D artist, I have worked with game engines before and to my knowledge, assets can be imported and configured to work on different game engines especially when provided the original source files. I have literally exported models from World of Warcraft for personal use when playing around with shader code on Unity. Even Square Enix and Capcom were known to have shared assets for the collaboration between Final Fantasy XIV (Luminous Engine branch) and Monster Hunter: World (MT Framework) and edited those assets as they see fit to make it work with the art style and engine of their respective games. Sharing assets isn't unpractical at all especially if you have the original source file...

However, I'm not 100% sure exactly what Project Soul did with the assets given to them. I'm more convinced that they used those assets as a point of reference when creating Geralt from scratch but it's also possible that they modified existing assets to fit SOULCALIBUR VI. But either or, it would be pretty disrespectful to recycle these moves even if Geralt was built from scratch due to the assistance of CD Projekt Red to make Geralt as authentic as possible.

He even has a gigantic mace. Maybe, they are going to with reimagined Berserker angle for his story, just like the Hwang and Assassin redesign in SC6.

They could probably retcon Rock into some kind of sleeper agent for the Aval Organization. I actually like the sound of that, despite myself - the presence of legacy characters in their ranks would definitely help their plotline seem a bit less like a non-sequitur to all the rest that's going on, lol.

Yes. The talisman mechanic that Hwang would've probably been Taki's. All the auras, the different talisman stances, etc.
I'm not so sure about that. Personally I think it's more likely that PS made DLC characters more gimmicky in order to make them more flashy and sellable rather than withholding said gimmicks from vanilla roster characters. According to Okubo, Season 2 characters had not been planned yet at launch.

I'm not so sure about that. Personally I think it's more likely that PS made DLC characters more gimmicky in order to make them more flashy and sellable rather than withholding said gimmicks from vanilla roster characters. According to Okubo, Season 2 characters had not been planned yet at launch.
This I believe, considering how they easily could have hinted at more of Secret Royal Blademaster Hwang in Mina's story, and maybe even hints of Wolfkrone in Nightmare/Siegfriends stories.

Tira's was almost complete at time of release for S1 but im' wagering that Project Soul was experimenting a bit with how unique character subsystems for Cass and moreso Amy would be received. They really dialed it up for the S2 characters, which have straight forward basic movesets, but each also has a complex unique resource subsystem. Their single player chronicles are almost more robust.

Compare with Samurai shodown's June 2019 release and they're on to S3 announced as of Jul 2020 with reveals in Jan 2021 (and i'm guessing that most of S1 was almost complete at time of release). Getting a lot of funding to really push this game confidently with S3 announcment..

Also, from my limited Tekken experience, the Season pass non-guest characters don't seem that much flashier and "experimental" compared to the base cast. I guess the developers know that Tekken much larger player base + nostalgia is enough to drive sales, while Soul Calibur really has to crank up the quality in order to entice people to spend more $$.

I'm guessing the areas where the Tekken DLC characters need more development time is
• A lot more strings in their movelist, so polishing the movelist would take more time
• Frame data isn't in multiples of 2, which makes fine tuning balance trickier
• Also, much larger roster means ensuring match-up balance is also more time consuming.
• Sort of 2 costumes, though it is way less modular and doesn't have break-states

That and it forces you to buy then even if you DON'T like the character (so you can be allowed to lab against them).

Last edited:
guys do you think that it will be a season 3 for Soul Calibur 6...???
i guess not for this time...... because of the situation with covid......

but... i WANT a new season with these characters

ALGOL
DAMPIERRE
ACHT
ZWEI

This I believe, considering how they easily could have hinted at more of Secret Royal Blademaster Hwang in Mina's story, and maybe even hints of Wolfkrone in Nightmare/Siegfried's stories.

NPC Hwang in Mi-na Soul Chronicle + no Hwang NPC enemy in Libra of Souls. In LoS, Wolfkrone troops meaning "our queen" = Hilde.
Yun-seong was mentioned by Mi-na in LoS before mentioning him again in Hwang's Soul Chronicle. Algol wasn't mention by name by Zas in his Soul Chronicle, but the tease was set in the Mitsurugi interlude. Algol didn't have a placeholder VA like Hwang did. Viola was teased in Amy's Soul Chronicle. I feel Algol & Viola might be saved for SCVII. Setsuka was hinted at in the Combat Lessons - 8 Way Run & Strikes section. That was before that Season 2 datamine back in January 2019. 1/2 the list is correct.

So I installed patch 2.31 today and had the most wonderful match connection quality, several times in a row, like I have never had until now. Blocking lag lows on reaction just like that - boom, 15 wins in a row lol.

Is it just me, was I being lucky or have others had the same experience? Maybe PS is already experimenting with the hybrid delay/rollback netcode that was rumored earlier and then supposedly was awarded to Tekken?

So I installed patch 2.31 today and had the most wonderful match connection quality, several times in a row, like I have never had until now. Blocking lag lows on reaction just like that - boom, 15 wins in a row lol.

Is it just me, was I being lucky or have others had the same experience? Maybe PS is already experimenting with the hybrid delay/rollback netcode that was rumored earlier and then supposedly was awarded to Tekken?

A tease of a possible Season 3 with actual rollback netcode like in Tekken 7 S4. More work with Setsuka & Hwang has to be done. The 44B+K6 nerf to become -12 on block makes no sense because it's high & can be duck punished already.

If you guys are interested, I am currently doing a Soulcalibur Modern AU Fashion Project. I am doing a poll on which character I am going to do a modern redesign. If you have the time, you can vote for free. The polls end on Saturday. I apologize if it comes off as spamming though.

The 4th poll is for the character you want to see overall. The Top 3 will be the first in my project with the rest coming later. Only 12 characters will be part of my project so far.

Thank goodness, I'd hate to have him. Though I'll admit it would have been nice to have Cloud, after all, he was meant to be the PS2 guest in SC2, but they couldn't do it because Square-Enix was a bitch.

Back