Starting To Learn Voldo

Tiamat is right. 1K is definitely great: it launches for a 6:6B and if held goes into BS. 2 A+B,236(CR) is one of his best moves. Then there is 4A, which is fast and also goes into BS. If you can do 6:6B consistently, that's his best punisher. A+B stuns(shakable) on normal hit, interrupts a bunch of crap, and is fairly safe I believe. 3B,B is amazing, fast, and damaging. 3A ducks and stuns on CH. WS 3B knocks back a bit (a perfect distance for a CR A+G/ B+G). When in BS Voldo's options are almost countless. I love 1B. People seem to expect it, but there are many other mix ups to choose from. BS CR B+K seems to surprise people, so I throw it out there from time to time. BS A+B knocks way back, has ring out properties, and auto-GIs highs/ mids. BS is where everyone says the magic happens, but his regular stance moves are really good too. Also, landfish and mantis are underrated.

I'm also trying to learn voldo. Whats the notation to where he does a front flip kick while his back is facing the opponent then bounces on his back and hits them again right after bouncing?

The thing to know about voldo is, he has something for every situation, iv been using him for so long and even when you know all of his moves off by heart, the art is linking them. Keep your opponent guessing and you put your Voldo in a very favourable position.

I found i came to a stage where i became good, but didnt use every move, these days i make use of all his moves as there tends to be one for every situation like i said above. A new favourite of mine is BS 44A(high) on pause for a nice stun effect :)

That's BS (Blind Stance) 4KB

It´s BS 4KA :)

A very general advice would be to try not to play your opponents game, but rather force them to play yours. If you can keep your opponent guessing at all time and really fuck with his mind then that´s half the rent.
Most people you encounter online won´t be familiar with V, so it might be easy to rely on parlor tricks and unsafe but deceiving moves. That won´t get you anywhere in the long run though, so try to build up solid mix ups and mindfuck strategies. Just my 2 cents.

My personal opinion is that Voldo is at his best when played with an emphasis on the soul gauge. Voldo does incredible soul gauge damage, and has perhaps the best soul gauge damage in the game. In most of my matches, I have my opponent worried about their soul gauge by the second round. This opens up his game significantly, because they have to start taking more offensive risks (leaving them more open to counterhits into large damage combos) or start using more guard impacts (leaving them open to throws and huge [B+K] damage).

3BB, BS 4KA, 2A+B, CR A+B, 66A+B, numerous other moves will all get the soul gauge blinking red in short order.

Hi !

After choosing my main (Amy), I've been having a very hard time with a few matchups. Mainly Ivy, but also others such as Siegfried or Astaroth.

I went through all the characters, and among those who can cope with Ivy/Sieg/Asta, Voldo seems the most fun to me. This is how I'd sum him up. Please correct me if I'm wrong :
- completely nuts (the WTF factor is kind of appealing, I used to play Yoshi)
- medium speed, most stuff being from i15 to i20 (just like Mitsu I'd say)
- good range
- incredible mixups
- good evade capability seems like half his movelist is either TC or TJ, and he has that A+K stuff
- easy inputs, 6:6B is as hard as it gets and since I play Amy I already do it at a 90-95%
- good damage (BnB combos are about 60-70 and basic moves arround 30 aren't they?)
- mostly safe

Now I have to learn him. This is where I ask for your advice :
- what should I learn first ?
- what should I leave for later ?
- what makes Voldo work for you ?

Thanks to all Voldo users ^^

No.

First Learn how to Fight in Forward Stance.

Then learn how to Use Crawl mixups/2A+B CRawl stuff.

Then learn how to get into BS from Forward, or CR, or Mantis

Then learn how to get from BS into Forward, or Crawl or mantis.

Forget about combos, figure out what moves create the best flow for you, going from one stance to the next and back, always keeping the the momentum and keeping your bases covered.

ie. Know when to use 4A+B from far. Know when touse 1B after BB or something of similar frame and Range. Practice CR canceling, Practice BCR canceling into BS mixups. Practice you MT/LF/BS game, so you can easily know what move(s) get you from one stance to the next.

I think there should be some Vids of the Teams And casuals from this weekend. Everyone can see how my Voldo game has changed and how yours should too if you want to have the upper hand on more skilled players.

Thanks guys. I'll be mainly commenting on what DINO wrote :

Your advice seems to be directed on to really learning the stance game and making mixups from it. That would make me know the ins and outs of the character better before trying to just throw out my launcher and rely only on that.

I still took a look at the combos. Most of them seem to be based on stance transitionning anyway : 1st hit stuns or knocks down, then some kind of stance transitionning stuff will catch the opponent.

Seems like a very interesting character indeed. Kind of complex.
What about throws ? I've always been a throw whore (even with Amy). His range and damage seem decent, from 50 to 65.

http://www.8wayrun.com/wiki/Voldo:SC4:FD:HRZ
BS AA i11 ?!

Naaaah keeping Amy !
If my Voldo experience goes well i'm going to use him as secondary instead of Yoshi.

I'll provide a FR->ENG translation for the tech trap post BTW

Thanks for info on BS AA. Unfortunately I just discovered that when you guard, Voldo goes back to normal stance. Therefore that i11 cannot be used to punish...

Can someone confirm that Voldo always goes back to normal stance after block ? Or is it only on certain moves ?

Thanks

some moves dont turn him around... there arent alot of them tho so rule of thumb is your gonna get turned around unless you know a move wont do it specifically

BS A is not to be underestimated because it cant be used to punish... that move is boss

Wow already four weeks...
Well I can't say I've done that much with Voldo yet, since I'm concentrating on Amy a lot, but I definitely like him, very fun character to play indeed. I discovered that BS 1A was actually blockable on reaction by some players (baah, sad), and that against them, its real use becomes a move that goes under mids !

I pretty much agree with everything DINO said.

Granted you're already a month in, so most of this will be covered but you start with the most basic of basics until you get a feel for things. If you just start throwing out all of his moves at the beginning you're going to have a hard time figuring out a flow.

Granted it took me longer than most to get good with him, largely due to inexperience and an unwillingness to spend any time in training mode, but for the first couple months I played Voldo in SC4 my game largely revolved around B (and BB of course), 66B, 1A, BS1A and 2K.

However when I had that as a foundation to work with it became a lot easier to experiment with other moves, throwing them in overtime and getting a feel for them all gradually. After that I started adding in 2A+B~CR K/B, then BS A+B, then 1[K], then the 1[K], 2B+K, K combo, etc. After getting used to all of that and using it in matches, I diversified my attacking enough to throw in more non-basic mixups.

Focus on his basics, then the slightly less basic, then mixups, then simple combos, better combos and, finally, I think Voldo's stances, evades and various gimmicks (other than blind stance of course, that's not so much a gimmick but the foundation of his game) should be the very last thing you incorporate into your game.

thanks for your support ^^

I'm starting to win some matches with Voldo at a nice level (fr top20) so I must be improving with him.

Still missing a lot of things to be good though :
- execution : not doing a JF on the 6:6B combo/punishment is hard ! need more training
- too much 3B, not enough B/BB
- no AA because maining Amy (her AA is shitty)
- lots of moves are not in my game, such as : 66K, 44B/44, aBBB, BS B+K, BS 66B, BS 33BB, BS 4AB, 1B, BS 11K, 4BA, BS 6B/6, BS 4KA, 4A+B, B+K, 22A, 22B, 11BBB ... (please comment, are they really good ?)
- use some more mantis
- use 2_8A+K evades to replace step ; his step is so awful :'(

any advice ?

thanks for your support ^^

I'm starting to win some matches with Voldo at a nice level (fr top20) so I must be improving with him.

Still missing a lot of things to be good though :
- execution : not doing a JF on the 6:6B combo/punishment is hard ! need more training
- too much 3B, not enough B/BB
- no AA because maining Amy (her AA is shitty)
- lots of moves are not in my game, such as : 66K, 44B/44, aBBB, BS B+K, BS 66B, BS 33BB, BS 4AB, 1B, BS 11K, 4BA, BS 6B/6, BS 4KA, 4A+B, B+K, 22A, 22B, 11BBB ... (please comment, are they really good ?)
- use some more mantis
- use 2_8A+K evades to replace step ; his step is so awful :'(

any advice ?

aBBB, BS 33BB, BS 4AB, 11K, 4BA, 4A+B, 22A(BS one is slightly better) 22B(Facing, not BS), and 11BBB are all awful moves.

BS33B_BB, BS4B~A, 4B_4BA are all key moves that end up being key to voldo's game, once they start getting used to the bnb stuff, and you use a different set a moves in a normal situation.

4A+B example, is not a move I want to land as (omg nows my chance for 4A+B).
its like, okay he's keeping me at this distance, so I can't use all my good (but linear) moves, now's my chance to get him with 4A+B, 44K_[K], 33A stuff, becuz he thinks he's at a safe range, but doesnt know about my moves that have favourable properties.
use these to get in, and interrupt a step n space type player, who dont allow you to get ur CR/MT/BS game going.
4A+B is just great, thught, you need a SF type intuition about when to use it. Its almost like at this distance I know he's going to jump. OR at this distance I know he's going to do fireball. So you know your move will land.
4BA is an alternative to AA_BB type stuff.
BSAA is great against people who think you can step everything Voldo does (which is almost true)

To be great with Voldo, you must master the 236G to scare them, just entice them, see what they do, and lead to mixups OR better 236[1]4[1][...to make space, and give yourself a gauranteed 236A+B on whiff.

And MTA+B~G On Block into mixups, MIXUPPED WITH, A+B MT~BS_Fwd. This is especially important against characters that have a Low Throws and Know how to use it. (asta, X, Cass, rock)

And 2_8A+K should almost exclusively be used in BS because it gives the most stance options (BS on whiff, LF interrupt, MT mixup, MT 28 Fakes, LF/MT K to space yourself depending on stance and "heading" ;) )

Yeah

Back