Turn Your Voice Into The New Game.

I would like to start by saying Happy New Years! I hope that people are excited about the news and just want to move forward and put this gig into gears. I need to hear your thoughts on a concentrated level about the new game coming out. With that said, lets use this particular room for discussion of what you the fans / competitors / organizers / moderators / admins want in this new game.

Try your best to keep me informed as I will be working hard to really ensure that the voice of the community is heard. Everyone deserves a chance to speak their mind on things, my role here is to make sure that your message doesn't fall on dead ears.

Stay on topic : What would make the next SC game GREAT. details details details... Take care everyone.

FilthieRich (www.twitter.com/filthierich) (www.facebook.com/soulcalibur)

In my opinion, I think things that they should have include:
Chronicles of the Sword,
Soul Charge,
Class/Weapon System from SC3,
Equipment for Custom Characters from all games,
All Weapons from all the games,
Option to remake or have already have all the costumes from previous games,
Bring back characters such as Hwang, Li Long, Inferno, Necrid, Edge Master etc...

A modified Critical finish, perhaps having it automatically activate if you're about to win anyway? I liked the idea of Critical Finishes, but there weren't enough options for them.

These are the people so far that I've liked the ideas of:
SunnuvaBiscuit
OOFMATIC
IdleMind
TypicalEvil
Slayer_X64
MammothMan

If there's anything else I can think of relating to this I'll edit here...

I'll edit my post as also as I go. Excuse if I haven't read EVERY other suggestion that has already been mentioned. I just want to be quick and brief.

They could add more than 1CF sequence for every character; the player gets to choose between the different CF's like MK.
Have small-bit characters from SC2 and/or SC3 return with extended movelists and have significant biographies to involve them in the main story.
Have cornered players wall jump to the opponent's other side and have a while turning around or before landing attack for a wall splat. (A attack, before landing then facing opponent; B attack, while landing from wall jump to opponent's backside; K attack, wall splat)

Bring back some, but not all of the bonus characters from SC3.

Strife, abelia, lynette, and revenant were at least mid tier. Not terrible, but not great either. I'm pretty sure the rest of the bonus characters were crap

I think if your have a much larger cast in SC5, like in SC3, you will have more fans just off that alone. This will also give veterans a fresh start with new characters to master rather than just adjusting to the changes of their character from previous installments.

Many people disagree with me on this, but I think having moves that are really hard to pull off (not talking about JF's) doesn't add any depth the game at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the general appeal of SC over other fighters (other than it being 3d with weapons) was the fact that in general, the moves are easier to do. I don't think players should be rewarded for having spend hours in practice mode just to learn how to do one move. What players should be rewarded for are the more basic fundamentals such as blocking, GI, grab break, good stun or juggle combos, countering, etc.

Let me put this another way:

Anyone can learn any move if they practice it enough times, that just takes repetition and finger agility, which is a completely different skill set than mastering the basics.

On the other hand, not everyone does the right move at the right time, and not everyone is capable of that sort of fast paced abstract thinking. This skill set is what makes or breaks a player from scrub-hood to master.

An example, before I mastered asura dance, my kilik was still pretty solid. I had all the basics down, had good mind games, etc. When I did master Asura dance, it sharpened my game slightly. This improvement was not because I became better with Kilik, but simply because I mastered a move that I previously couldn't do.

The original appeal of SC for me was that it's easy on the thumbs, while still having plenty of moves to chose from. Also, less button inputs make your controller last longer.

I can some what agree with Creme-Fraiche's opinions. More over though, I also side with the camp that suggests that maybe it's time to think about toning down that movelist a bit per char.

I mean, how much good does it do to have a movelist that numbers into any where from 50-100s, when it usually boils down to how you end up only using a mere fraction of that movelist's content by the time all is said and done (not to mention how some entrants are redundant)? It's of little utility to competitive players, and it scares off casuals, as well.

That being said, I would definitely advocate one of two main things. Either a) streamline the movelists or b) actually make it so that the extensive movelist is there for a reason. A game like Devil May Cry and/or Bayonetta has an extensive movelist, as well, but pretty much all of it is of use and can be tailored by the player to fit a myriad of different playstyles. I wouldn't mind a future Soul game having something similar, as it gets a bit boring knowing that there's really only "one" way to play some characters in past games.

Oh, and lest I forget...PLEASE try to avoid usage of an unnecessary comeback mechanic. The likes of X-Factor, Ultras and Rage have only done more to be divisive, rather then actually do more to help casuals play fighting games better. I would much rather SC do more to just play better, than impose a handicap of this sort.

Hey folks I returned back from Japan and have been sharing many of the ideas with Tago-san and Odajima-san. I think that its great that both the moderators and the people posting up have been making posts straight to the point, but also with supportive statements. Keep up the posts and requests. Thank you all for your time.

Feel free to speak up. I recently spoke with Lobo to avoid any confusion regarding people posting more than (1) time. Just make sure to somehow separate the post content from your previous post. Please keep the arguing and fighting to a minimum. I'm more interested in post content than seeing people argue about why their post is better than another.

I think a character with sai would be cool. Its more of a defensive weapon but i'm sure you could figure out a way to make them work. Also I think you should consider maybe bringing back the weapon breaking feature from Soul Edge to replace the Soul gauge. It seems to me that the soul gauge was kind of born from the weapon breaking feature because both were used to prevent turtling but what I like about the weapon breaking is that it doesn't lead to an instant kill but still helps prevent turtling. I guess the only hard part would be that you would have to create a small move list for each character without a weapon.

I played almost all of the famous fighting games and they all have the same problem (including SC series). Famous series cannot change even a little bit, tekken 1 and ttt2 are the same, sc1 and sc4 are the same. The same thing about them is, GAMEPLAY of course! They afraid to change because it's fans wish to stay the same. Little changes are allowed. But new SC has to different than the others. It has to be perfect and has to be the best one of the SC games. Why did they removed all of the good stuff in SC4? SC4 was like a "open beta" imo.

Final words, when you start construction of a building, you don't remove bricks from lover floors do you? It is not a Jenga game.

Edit:
I just played Tekken 6 and I noticed something. In T6, emotions and expressions are much more greater than SC4. I hope SC5 will have even more great character expressions and emotions.

One thing I forgot to mention, some or well most critical finishes need to change:
Zas has one of the best which is fine but others like "Mr.Rugi" (Mitsurugi) aren't very good at all: In this next game they should really improve the finishers. This here is an example of how Mitsurugi's Finisher SHOULD have been:

Or how awesome would it be to see Amy or Rapheal do something like this here: (Now I only mean up to (0:57) not the bit after with the lightning, lets be realistic here.

SCV guest characters! Kenshin and his fellas, and of course Shishio! I wish the won't care about other countries and make the guests from Japan.
Look out for spoilers!

Okay i'm talking on Xbl with my friend i usually fight and were both gunna talk about what we would and wouldn't like to see in the next game.

First off, I cant stress how much we would love to see tag team in sc5.I know that a lot of people have stated this already ,but if it wasn't in the next game that would be a huge let down.

Characters in previous games that we would like to see are: Necrid,Olcaden,and Hwang.
Characters we would Really like to stay are(excluding ones that are obviously going to stay,however ones we would be highly disappointed about leaving we will still list): Cervantes,Zasalamel,Astaroth,yoshimitsu, and Voldo. Maybe have abyss as a bonus character.

Character creation mode was(in our opinion) one of the greatest things about Soul Calibur 3 and 4.however sometimes it is a little lacking in the creative side.Which in many occasions would force players to make very similar characters.Work in this area would definitely pay off seeing as how many players just make characters all day.

There is not much to say about the gold ,but getting money from player matches would be pretty cool.Some players may just let each other win for money but that is their decision.compared to the other things I have stated this is a minimal request.

This has been stated before but this character would be really cool. http://www.soularchive.jp/tmr/soulcalibur/illust/02_misiyou/07_kaihatu2/03.gif
He could have moves as strange as biting with the puppet, or as subtle as a puppet slash.

Story mode was basically arcade mode with 4 cut scenes and a scrolling page to tell a little story.you guys can do a lot better.

We spent countless hours in training mode ,and it was really helpful but a little lacking. doing something like exercise mode in doa4 would help a ridiculous amount.for those unfamiliar to this it would show how to do a move on the top of the screen and when you did it it would move onto the next until you were completely finished.

An option to change the difficulty in arcade mode would be sweet. I was really disapointed when i found out that you couldn't play hard on arcade mode

An option to skip your turn in lobbies would be nice.

If tag team is in the next game. maybe a cooperative story mode could be made. Or even better yet maybe a survival coop like the descend floors in tower of lost souls this would be extremely fun.Again a difficulty option would be great here.

Translation from French forum.

First, training mode.
It is one of the best training mode ever.
It should not change, except from some very specific points:
-To be able to practice as the second player (choose side just as in versus mode for exemple)
-Show the life bar with or without regeneration of life (as in SoulCalibur3)
-To be able to set counter hit only on the first move, and not on all of them
-To be able to display command input (as in Soulcalibur1)
-Add HitAnalyse, from Tekken.
-Set move's buffer on HitAnalyse, to avoid computer's move that start during a buffer.
-To be able to set computer's character moveset, and not only AA, BB and 2A.
-To be able to reset on training with a stick (R3 is not usable on a stick. Select+something for example would be nice.)
-Longer replay + and possibility to record replay + possibility to record a whole match.
-To be able to disappear the menu in training mode (as in SoulCalibur1)
-To be able to put opponent BackTurn.
-Add more customizable action (at least 3/4) and add more recordable action (at least 5).
All this, will improve training mode to perfection.

Then tutorial mode from SoulCalbur3, with Olcadan teaching the player how to learn the game, should be back. This tutorial was really perfect, and it would be a very good idea to put it again.
Remember that Olcadan learned the player to Gi Astaroth 22B on reaction ?! It was awesome !

Tower mode with Algol at the end is not... very good. Many players dislike it.
Whereas the campain mode from SoulCalibur3 or even the world mode from SoulBlade were really good ! A mix between SoulEdge and Soulcalibur3 would be perfect.

Now about the gameplay of the game:
-WhileLanding moves were very interresting. Why are they removed ? To put them back would be a nice idea.
-Advance and Retreat gard (as in SoulCalibur2) would be nice too. + gard move for characters with shield (as in SoulCalibur1).
-JustUkemi and Techtraps give the game a tactical dimension which is very interresting. They should remain as they are in SoulCalibur4.
-Same can be said about GardImpact.
-To ba able to delay standard moves AA and BB as in SoulCalibur1 would be interresting too.
-Many players don't understand why some autoGi can be reGi... This should be removed.
Also, when a player use an autoGi it should be hit in counter hit if autoGi misses. If not, some autoGi becomes too strong compare to others as Sophitia A+B or Amy B+K.
-Gard crush unsafe are.. strange. Why not remove such moves ? Or change them to safe at least.
-Gard crush as in SoulCalibur2 could be interresting for some moves (ex: Maxi's gard crush moves). In SoulCalibur2 some GardCrush gives A LOT of advantge, opponent was not able to block but was able to Gi. Many players like it cause it was more dynamic than current GardCrush moves.

About CriticalFinish and SoulCharge now.
Not everyone agree on this point. Some players like CriticalFinish, and some other don't.
With Critical finish, if you block well all moves you still can die. Without CriticalFinish, you can turtle your whole life without any risk.
Depending the way players wanna play, offensive or defensive then they like or dislike CriticalFinish.
About SoulCharge, a vast majority of players want it back. SoulCharge and SoulCharge cancel give another dimension to the game which is very interresting. Every add that can give some complexity to the game is interresting. Ex: some character should be able to use some moves which leave them in SoulCharge on hit (as Nightmare in SoulCalibur4, or Li-Long in SoulCalibur3AE).
However, CriticalFish + Soulcharge is something difficult to manage together. None of them should be useless or broken, which is very hard to balance.

An idea to balance all this :
Define some criteria of power, and give them to every character depending on their style/story/gameplay/whatever.
Then balance all this criteria in order to give any characters some unique characteristics. This should avoid to give some characters all advantages, and some others none. Typical example in SoulCalibur4 is Voldo who can kill easily with CF or damage or RO, whereas Seung-Mina specificity is CF, and even on this unique point she is weaker than Voldo...

An example:
Talim is the character of the wind. She is not so strong, but as the wind you cannot catch her. And as the wind, she is fast and hit you when you don't expect it.
Now let's look at some way to put this in term of gameplay.
-Fast moves, but not powerfull,
-Lots of evade move (probably the bests in the game) with great property to escape,
-some auto-Gi which allow her to pressure,
-great step/8wayrun and faculty to move on the area.
But on the other side she should not be able to CF easily, nor to RO easily, nor be able to press infinately, nor be able to punish hard, nor be able to zoning, etc...
It should be possible to balance every specificities of the game in order to make every character unique, and not concentrate all strentgh in one or two characters.
Ivy don't need to have one of the best CF game in the game whereas she already has the best zoning in the game and the best throws + a large variety of moves to face any situation. Rock on the other side really need it. etc, etc...

Last but not least: online.
There are no ultimate solution. Everyone know that online is what make the large majority of players play the game a lot. But it not an easy task to imprve something as the internet infrastructur in the whole world !
SoulCalibur4 buffer are very strict, which create a lot of difference between offline and online. Maybe some buffer as in SoulCalibur3 can tends to reduce the differences... But not delete it anyway.

Here is one of the result of discutions in the French community.

In relation to the above comment, I would like to add that Inferno should be the one waiting at the top of the Tower Mode.

This isn't a discussion forum. Only 1 post per person. Simply list what you want and why, no need to counter argument others. The reasons for want will often speak louder than a simple plea. So condense your posts please and just do the lists like everyone else.

I signed up after I hearing Odashima mention that he will address the game pacing in SC5. Almost brought a tear to my eyes.

I stopped playing SC4 and went back to playing SC3 because it was just too slow. Something about that slow speed made the game made me feel very unengaged...

other things I want to see are-

Edge Master- I know there are others that basically substituted as edge master but I want to see edge master himself in the game once more.

Make Raphael play like he did in SCII again. to me this version of Raphael is the most fun character to play in the series entirely.

Classic character costumes returning- Kind of like the Dead or Alive series where characters have outfits that they have worn from previous games.

Take out Critical Finishes- Just have character stunned when their Soul Gauge is broken, and you are free to do what ever combo you can think of instead.

allow custom Music on the PS3 version- People are generally really happy when custom music is allowed in their fighting games. also, it would be fair to make it equal to the Xbox version which would have custom soundtrack automatically.

Also, bring back attacks with push-back properties when they are blocked. This added more distinction between moves and allows more spacing strategies.

and lastly, consider Revenant as a playable character

edit: I just played my copy of SCII after a long time and I noticed that when character side step moves they shift thier upper body in the direction away from the attack.

That is a really cool effect. It makes you think "whooah, I really dodged that one". It's too bad they didn't keep that in SC3 and SC4.

Oh! and also add an art gallery with a decent amount of official artwork but also showcase some guest artist. I love game art and I would honestly be more excited to see highly talented manga artist drawing SC character over having guest characters appear. I'm thinking about how Blaz Blue II handled their art galleries and think it's pretty ideal.

Live streams

4 Viewers
CallMePeterJr
CallMePeterJr
The Adventures Of Paige Continues. Progressing through more of Libra Of Souls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back