Asta Match-up List

I can obviously see where the natsu bad mu comes from, 66k, 44a, 6b, 6b+k, all punishable some by a:6'is pretty rough for Asta. I'm pretty much with everyone else saying that his high damage keeps him in the game even in his troublesome matchups.

I was always under the impression that Asta was a bad MU for Ivy. I don't think it's 5:5.

I took a look over the match-up again, and I am inclined to agree with you.

Ivy has to get really close in order to make use of her best tools. Ivy's ranged tools are pretty much all punishable by 66B on block and whiff (although if Asta steps early enough 22_88B BE would be better if they whiff). Up close she can punish alot of Asta's tools with 6B8 K. Oddly enough her FC1B won't work too well to punish whiffed throws unless she is right next to him due to tip stun. Her TCing 3B is the most reliable tool she has to try and call out throw retaliation, and it works rather well on NH. Asta is one of the few chars that can be 6B8 after NH more often than not. She also has 2A and 2K spam to lock Asta down, but her 2A is kind of lacking in range. 214B can actually be punished by Asta K. It's not much damage, but it still makes it so that 214B is not free. 3K is a really spam-able poke against Asta. It's safe enough for you to block a revenge rush attempt, and gives an awesome +6 on NH. 3K should be an essential tool to lock Asta down.

Her BE options can all be JGd into punish if they weren't used for whiff punishment. 1B BE will get 66K BEd, 22_88B BE will get JGd into 66AB punish and 66B BE can be JGd into 66B punish.

As for the throw game, iCS/CS is still a scary tool in any match-up, but Asta having tools like bullrush does it's job to nullify use of a close-mid range throw game. It's still not useless though, so Ivy's should use it.

Overall I'd make it 6:4 in Asta's favor at the most, 5.5:4.5 at least. If anyone has anything to add for either character (such as more Ivy tools I probably missed) please feel free to post.

A lot of frenchies cant play against Astaroth atm. After my retirement, almost nobody was playing the golem anymore in France. I was incredibly surprised at how bad they handled the match-up against excellent Astaroths like JAG, Itazan, SatanaXXX and Asodimazze.

That might explain the poor result of Kira =)

I searched around for challenges and results between french ppl and others, can you tell me where could I find them?

I hope you'll be back on Asta now... or are you planning to learn someone new?
(I saw you freeplayin' with mitsu è_é)

P.S.: thanks for the hints on the Asta Derby, I landed 2 6[B+K] on Jag, but I wasted the matches anyway
My God I HATE the Asta vs. Asta match

I took a look over the match-up again, and I am inclined to agree with you.

Ivy has to get really close in order to make use of her best tools. Ivy's ranged tools are pretty much all punishable by 66B on block and whiff (although if Asta steps early enough 22_88B BE would be better if they whiff). Up close she can punish alot of Asta's tools with 6B8 K. Oddly enough her FC1B won't work too well to punish whiffed throws unless she is right next to him due to tip stun. Her TCing 3B is the most reliable tool she has to try and call out throw retaliation, and it works rather well on NH. Asta is one of the few chars that can be 6B8 after NH more often than not. She also has 2A and 2K spam to lock Asta down, but her 2A is kind of lacking in range. 214B can actually be punished by Asta K. It's not much damage, but it still makes it so that 214B is not free. 3K is a really spam-able poke against Asta. It's safe enough for you to block a revenge rush attempt, and gives an awesome +6 on NH. 3K should be an essential tool to lock Asta down.

Her BE options can all be JGd into punish if they weren't used for whiff punishment. 1B BE will get 66K BEd, 22_88B BE will get JGd into 66AB punish and 66B BE can be JGd into 66B punish.

As for the throw game, iCS/CS is still a scary tool in any match-up, but Asta having tools like bullrush does it's job to nullify use of a close-mid range throw game. It's still not useless though, so Ivy's should use it.

Overall I'd make it 6:4 in Asta's favor at the most, 5.5:4.5 at least. If anyone has anything to add for either character (such as more Ivy tools I probably missed) please feel free to post.

Mh, not an Ivy Vs. Asta expert, but Ivy has definetly the tools to fight well the match.
3B tech step and tech crouch alone is a big issue, and forces Asta to play differently. Not to mention Ivy's lightning fast backdash and movement to make Asta's tip range throws whiff.

She just has to use carefully long ranged moves, since Asta has 22B BE ready to cook her ass.

5:5 seems fair to me, give that up close Asta is in trouble (Ivy's punishing, good tech crouch, 2A etc)

I'll only say about the characters I can actually use;

Astaroth/Aeon: 5/5
Astaroth/Leixia: 5/5
Astaroth/Raph: 6/4

Aeon: No major disadvantage on either side here and pretty straight forward MU. Might be 6/4 for Aeon as he's got good TC moves, whiffed throw punishment and post JG DMG.

Leixia: She gets hit 3 times and die, but against a good Lei Asta has trouble breathing let alone landing hits. Because of that he has to turtle a lot and gets GC'd easily. If it wasn't for the insane DMG difference, this MU'd be somewhere around 7/3 for Leixia.

Raph: Gets his horizontals stepped for half life and his stance is barely usable, but win the spacing game with his long range block/whiff punishment abilities. He can also frametrap Asta with 2K reverse mixups almost indefinitely and not to forget 6BB$ is extremely good in this matchup (interrupts everything + CH combo on backdash). Edit: On second thought, this might still be 7/3 for Asta for the same reasons.

Mh, not an Ivy Vs. Asta expert, but Ivy has definetly the tools to fight well the match.
3B tech step and tech crouch alone is a big issue, and forces Asta to play differently. Not to mention Ivy's lightning fast backdash and movement to make Asta's tip range throws whiff.

She just has to use carefully long ranged moves, since Asta has 22B BE ready to cook her ass.

5:5 seems fair to me, give that up close Asta is in trouble (Ivy's punishing, good tech crouch, 2A etc)

3B's only advantage in this MU is the fact that it connects with 6B8 on NH, so it's nice after a JG etc but other than that it doesn't work well against Astaroth. Its tech step gets easily destroyed by multiple moves including bullrush and TC frames are almost no existant so it can't be used to counter throws. And of course 3B gets absorbed by 66K BE.

She doesn't have any reliable TC moves to use here,and the damage difference between these characters is crazy. I think it's 6:4 in Asta's favor.

Yo. Just wanna say that, after thinking about it and playing it more, I think the correct rating for Asta/Leixia is indeed 6/4 Asta's favor.

Risk/Reward is too skewed, imo. If Leixia makes no mistakes it feels even, but if she guesses wrong one good time, whatever life lead she had vanishes very quickly.

Without damage difference, it'd easily be Leixia's favor though.

3B's only advantage in this MU is the fact that it connects with 6B8 on NH, so it's nice after a JG etc but other than that it doesn't work well against Astaroth. Its tech step gets easily destroyed by multiple moves including bullrush and TC frames are almost no existant so it can't be used to counter throws. And of course 3B gets absorbed by 66K BE.

She doesn't have any reliable TC moves to use here,and the damage difference between these characters is crazy. I think it's 6:4 in Asta's favor.

Well your main mixup of 3B / throws is very strong against Astaroth since 3B 6B8 is a natural on him. That's still a big thing to take in count IMO.
As for the TC issue, 1K isnt a bad example =)
Plus, you can use some iFC1B. Btw, that's quite a throw punishment you have here !

I cant see an advantage for Astaroth in this MU, really.

Well your main mixup of 3B / throws is very strong against Astaroth since 3B 6B8 is a natural on him. That's still a big thing to take in count IMO.
Plus, you can use some iFC1B. Btw, that's quite a throw punishment you have here !

If it wasn't for 3B combo there probably wouldn't be any reason for Asta to duck against Ivy :p just too bad the tech step frames on this move are useless in this MU because Asta has so many moves that kill 3B's side step. And the fact that FC1B doesn't always launch Asta is also problematic.

I think it's the damage difference mostly that makes this MU in Asta's favor imo. He usually gets a huge reward for guessing right and with Ivy it's not always that easy.

I'd say it was a 7:3 for Astaroth in SC4. I can't remember Saitoh or JAG ever losing to a Xianghua player once in SC4.
Ouch that doesn't sound pleasant...

And at JAG tho I disagree with you saying asta vs zwei is 6:4 is in his favor. Well i don't wanna go into alot of details with it since you'll have to see the matchup from a zwei players perspective and also an astaroth players perspective.

I'd say it was a 7:3 for Astaroth in SC4. I can't remember Saitoh or JAG ever losing to a Xianghua player once in SC4.

Yep, your right... Asta VS X in SCIV was really easier than Asta VS Leixia in SCV... our matches proved that! xD

And at JAG tho I disagree with you saying asta vs zwei is 6:4 is in his favor. Well i don't wanna go into alot of details with it since you'll have to see the matchup from a zwei players perspective and also an astaroth players perspective.

I fight against a very good ZWEI since the game came out. It is indeed Asta´s favor.

Guys,

how can Astaroth have any bad MUs besides Aplha, Algol, Mitsu and cervantes ?

People don't know how to play against astaroth?
Thats bc there IS no real way to play against him, you either guess right or die.
Just grab, GB, whiffpunish and win. With his GB dmg you get at least 1 free round, sometimes even 2.

Seriously this character is so good, how can you act like he is bad?
With his GB, throws and general dmg, it's really hard to give him bad or even MUs.

I don't think its 5:5 for Ivy either.
Do you even know that her FC1B doesn't work against him?
Her 4A combo doesn't work? Or that 3B doesn't combo at close range and only from left side?
Or that he rapes Whip? His zoning is also better (although thats not a fact)?
Better RO & wall game. He beats Ivy backstep with 6B, 66K and 4A easily?
How about his throw range (they seem to have extra range on ivy) and dmg, even his A-Throw does more dmg than ivys 3B combo and it's so easy to land.

What about his 6B? it's so much better than Ivys CH 3B. Oh Ivy you wanna spamm 3B? Say hello to 22B BE. What about 66K BE for 1000 dmg? This also makes Ivy 3B and antistep attempts really dangerous.
His CE has more range more dmg +RO +wall. His meter gain? did i mention his guard break dmg? Astaroth also has 4B which helps him a lot at close, Force crouch, hit ogt, good advantage. 6A is good too.
It's not even just because Ivy has pokes. This is not enough. You can't just poke asta and win (unless you're mitsu), you have you take big risks and the mixups are always in astas favor.
With your logic Leixia would be a bad MU for astaroth bc she can press buttons all day.

There is so much (and more) you just ignore.

If you want to discuss the general MU strategy, please let me know.
Im not saying it's NEVER 5:5 , i just don't see it right now.

+ Algol is overrated
I'd say 6:4 for Algol.

3B often whiffs if you try it at close range, so it doesn't always work well with the throw mixup.
It also doesn't combo at range always.

As i said FC1B doesn't work either, so her REAL main mixup tool doesn't even bother Astaroth.
It only punishes throws if you run in Ivys face and grab her, but with his Throw range you don't need to do that, so if you play smart you will avoid the FC1B punish.

Anyways, i don't really care about MU numbers, since at the end it doesn't matter, you have to play against those chars anyway. It's good for peoples ego though, you can always use it as an excuse.
But if we are doing it, we should do it right.

Anyways, i don't really care about MU numbers, since at the end it doesn't matter, you have to play against those chars anyway. It's good for peoples ego though, you can always use it as an excuse.

DarkSlayer is now my favorite european player next to Malek and Docvizzo. This man has officially hit the bullseye. Fuck match up numbers. If you ever come to America I will not only shake your hand, but give you a big fat sloppy kiss.

P.S. - Don't worry, I'm quite good looking as far as Calibur players go.

Back