Maxi General Q&A

Then it seems your at an empass at what you actually want, because from the sounds of it, you don't want to play Maxi. You want to play Amy in a Maxi suit.

-Idle

Mmmhh, you know there is something if find interesting about Amy ´cause her strategy´s revolves so much on good mid and low mix ups...

But the assumption that i actually don´t want to play Maxi is wrong, i really want to fight with him! That´s the only reason why i am still here in the Maxi SCV discussion thread ´cause i really like that character... I just try to elaborate why at least I couldn´t find a way to fight with him effectively in this game on high level.

No, we want to play a game that gives a character a style and makes it good. If you want to emphasize looping so much, MAKE THE LOOPING WORTH FUCKING DOING! In this game it isn't. In previous games the way you make people respect the loops is to first train them using his strong pokes and being able to cancel out of loops safely. In this game you can't even do that because even his basic pokes suck. If you're gonna make the pokes suck, make the looping that much better.

Krayzie if you will read above, that is EXACTLY what I'm suggesting. JAG wants to play SC2 Maxi, no loops and all pokes. My assertion is that is not playing Maxi, but merely playing the same roachy style every character in the game was played with in SC2, hence his change suggestions would make Maxi into everyone else.

-Idle

@IdleMind

If you want to summarize the things i said, then that´s OK but plz don´t write things i didn´t say that way. I thought everyone here should have understood by now what i want... I never said that i only want a poke heavy! Maxi, hell i am against a Maxi like that, and i said that many times. I want something like SCII Maxi but not because he was ONLY! good at poking but because his loops were useful, he had good throws, speed and moves he could pull a good amount of the opponents lifebar(like 66A or 236B into combo)off!

That´s what i am always reffering to when i am talking about Maxi being "versatile".

Yeesh. With the way people talk in here, you'd think Maxi was steamrolling with this basics in SC2. Fact is, you probably could have played someone like X or Mitsu almost exactly the same way and gotten much farther, because they had good damage options to boot. People didn't whore out Maxi's pokes in SC2 because they were just that damn good, but because the majority of the time it was just too risky to play him any other way. Like I said pages ago, some looping could be effective under the right circumstances, but for the most part people played Maxi the way they did in SC2 because they had to. Does anyone really think that if there were enough reliable set-ups for all those higher-damage stance options that people still wouldn't have used them?

At a minimum, Maxi's basics need to be good enough to help him get the stance game going. I would say that means restoring his basics to at least SC3 levels.

In SC2 Maxi could dance around with the old PSL system, however. Unless you were a mind fuck master or fighting against folks who dunno what a block button is. Thats all you did with it, dance around. The pokes made the character viable and allowed him to use his stances as part of mix up...which sometimes allowed you to PSL dance and punish them with a stance based move (NCs and NCCs). In SC3, the actual game engine changed and removal of legs being separate from upper body movement, thus ending PSL "dancing" in SC3. However, SC3 was probably the strongest the character's ever been(NA version). Solid pokes, some solid frames, LOWS! SAFE FUCKING LOWS! That made the opponent duck! RC,K and 2A+B. FINALLY, a useful low from stance and neutral, to make you fucking duck!

SC4 Maxi was absolute garbage. His success was fully in the hands of the opponent cause all you are doing is gambling, each fucking attack. Sorry, I thought I was playing Maxi, not flipping goddamn coins. Could Maxi win? Of,course. There's health bars and he does damage, but even that...is SHIT!

In SC5 I want to see Project Soul either refine this character with solid options and a gameplan(EVEN SC2 MAXI, LOW TIER! HAD A GAMEPLAN!) OR do me a favor Project Soul. Replace him and Li Long with a new character and start over building off those 2 styles. Cause SC4 Maxi is horrible and if you ask me, if they can't make this character work then replace him and Li Long with a new Stance based dual nunchaku wielding character.

if SC4 Maxi rears his fucking head for SC5, then I want 88_22B to do +1 damage for as much as I mash the B button during the animation and I want Maxi to have an "arthritis stance" where he puts his nunchuk away and stands there, shaking his wrist. Then Press a button to do an attack (Its WL without GI properites!)accessed by K+G from any stance!

Yes, im still bitter about this Maxi.

THis has gone on long enough, has anyone though that maxi style is fine, but that every other character doesnt have a style except for like mitsu stances, ivy, rock, asta, kilik, voldo, talim. Every other character just pokes to win. i really see poking as skilled mashing, if you have to wait for an opening just to AA or BB your opponent to death your very skilled but lazy [why dont those pokes force stance]. Seriouly how many different kinds of sword play are in this game and they all have the same fundamentals range AA and BB moves that step forward seriously, ...low hits that knock down on a single hit. Isnt a poke supposed to be a single strike like A or B or K, not AA or BB which should force every character into stance or bad frames :)wish.

Rant
Lets talk about the sisters, Cass is a pass and sopt is a fail i cant believe these girls are that fast and carry two weapons. these chicks create better forced movement on block than rock and voldo. Cass is fine she tosses her whole body into moves, but soph that B launcher wow that shit lifts you off the floor on block, thats some hercules/Amazon woman strength, but guess what 17 years later her movesets going o be given to a guy know it makes sense.
Rant
[why do people use Amy, short ass sword but all u have to do is give her speed BB pokes and a Free autoGi and she good]

Theres not enough style in this game, i use to main Sc2 Talim then they made her a robot with auto jumps[SC3] lazy as play.

THis games going to the noobies. SC2 had more style and level of character control than SC3andSC4 combined, now they want to take out CF For super moves on a single strike..hahaha wow i guess anyone with a safe AA & BB poke game is going to charge up quicker lol.

i can see the kids now how did he Gi my Super

THis has gone on long enough, has anyone though that maxi style is fine, but that every other character doesnt have a style except for like mitsu stances, ivy, rock, asta, kilik, voldo, talim. Every other character just pokes to win. i really see poking as skilled mashing, if you have to wait for an opening just to AA or BB your opponent to death your very skilled but lazy [why dont those pokes force stance]. Seriouly how many different kinds of sword play are in this game and they all have the same fundamentals range AA and BB moves that step forward seriously, ...low hits that knock down on a single hit. Isnt a poke supposed to be a single strike like A or B or K, not AA or BB which should force every character into stance or bad frames :)wish.

Rant
Lets talk about the sisters, Cass is a pass and sopt is a fail i cant believe these girls are that fast and carry two weapons. these chick create move forced movement on block than rock and voldo. Cass is fine she tosses her whole sbody into moves, but soph that B launcher wow that shit lifts you off the floor on block, thats some hercules/Amazon woman strength, but guess what 17 years later her movesets going o be given to a guy know it makes sense.
Rant
[why do people use Amy, short ass sword but all u have to do is give her speed BB pokes and a Free autoGi and she good]

Theres not enough style in this game, i use to main Sc2 Talim then they made her a robot with auto jumps[SC3] lazy as play.

THis games going to the noobies. SC2 had more style and level of character control than SC3andSC4 combined, now they want to take out CF For super moves on a single strike..hahaha wow i guess anyone with a safe AA & BB poke game is going to charge up quicker lol.

i can see the kids now how did he Gi my Super

Lemme ask you something. If some guy came up to you and said "Ill give 2 options for getting this million dollars in my hand. You can either A: walk on hot coals for a mile, or B: jump up and down and cluck like a chicken for 10 seconds." which one would you pick?

Maxi needs better pokes, better basics, and frame advantage off small looping strings. You are still adimant about having this totally flashy, loop heavy maxi that ONLY YOU wants!!

If you wanna work your ass off for wins....then have at it homes. But I wanna be able to win with a character that I dont have to beat my head against the wall to try to win because im -8 on my A & -4 on my AA, I think Im in the majority on this one.

its called "Work smart, dont work hard!!"

I don't know why some maxi mains are being so defensive when it's suggested that trying to buff maxi in a manner so that he'll play more like amy is actually detrimental to the overall gaming experience (perhaps you may win more game, but the amy CAS in maxi's outfit example pretty much stands out). I'm all for maxi buffs, but not to make him play more like the characters that currently - due to the way they play - are regarded as consistantly strong.

In sc5, the loopy stanced nunchuk dude (whether it be maxi, li long or a new guy) should rely on his loops to pull him from intermediate play to tournament quality. Maybe each PSL stance shift adds 33% more soul gauge (cumulative) to the next hit ? I'd rather see people throw ideas out about farfetched concepts then the ol "safe lows" and "tracking mids" and "i14 TCing punishers" wishlist for example.
No one is saying that maxi shouldn't have simple frame buffs for his stance entries and shifts.. but I'm saying that his strength shouldn't be having an awesome BB AA that he can hit confirm to backstep..etc. IMO, it should always be a lil bit of risk to enter loops, but the risk reward for the loops should be HIGH to justify it's risky nature (which maxi imo should always be a high risk/reward character like nightmare)

Reactions: HRD
I don't know why some maxi mains are being so defensive when it's suggested that trying to buff maxi in a manner so that he'll play more like amy is actually detrimental to the overall gaming experience (perhaps you may win more game, but the amy CAS in maxi's outfit example pretty much stands out). I'm all for maxi buffs, but not to make him play more like the characters that currently - due to the way they play - are regarded as consistantly strong.

In sc5, the loopy stanced nunchuk dude (whether it be maxi, li long or a new guy) should rely on his loops to pull him from intermediate play to tournament quality. Maybe each PSL stance shift adds 33% more soul gauge (cumulative) to the next hit ? I'd rather see people throw ideas out about farfetched concepts then the ol "safe lows" and "tracking mids" and "i14 TCing punishers" wishlist for example.

Please dont think Dustbuster represents 99% of ANY of us. He is a strictly ranked online player that has no bearing in this conversation IMO. I would love maxi to have "Amy" type properties.

HRD

be specific on those Amy Properties,
Speed Pokes
single striking low that knockes down Example maxi2B+K
free auto gi counter that stops everything.

what character do you want him to play more like :sc2yun2:, Amy, :sc2xia1: with her 3 hit nc be specific because it all sounds like pokes to me.
im ok with better pokes but as long as it doesnt take way from this Style.

At this point I'm just waiting to see what they do with this style but IMO an 'excellent looping but sucky pokes' character will never be good.

I don't want sucky pokes. I only want pokes that facilitate looping, and not "naked" quality pokes.

-Idle

KCD no looping for maxi in SC3 was impossible. for me SC3 Maxi was a fail. SC2 then SC4 brought loopin back with the BL A.
The only thing i like about SC3 was the Low poke game, the flying kick and the BBs like you said, "Getting hit by RO B in SC3 on CH guaranteed the full RO B LO BK string for 85 damage." Just having The SC3 BBs in as SC4 BBs would have been awesome. Nc Pokes i approve off. Not spamable Mitus, Yoshi, sopi BBs

At this point I'm just waiting to see what they do with this style but IMO an 'excellent looping but sucky pokes' character will never be good.

I'm a lil more optimistic than "NEVER" be good.. but at least in sc1 (i've never played it but ill take your word for it) maxi WAS good, and his stances contributed to it significantly (correct me if i misinterpreted you).

However, it's tough because the looping nature makes it really easy to encourage mashing, and maxi will get some extra-nerfs to make sure he doesnt' dominate in the beginner level. I agree that I don't understand why "advanced" maxi strats (ie. cancels) should not have been implemented to a degree that they were considered a threat.

Right now mitsurugi entering stance freezes me more than maxi, so take that comment for what it's worth

and ps: lol HRD you can unlike my comment if you want.

SUUUUURE - after all, slow linear pokes with minor advantage on hit are completely spammable - are you just some online hero or are you genuinely retarded?
XD

Back