Soul Calibur 6 CaS Discussion

I love customisation and creating characters. I started creating a lot of characters, that some of them stuck (because of my obsession with creating things, I tend to delete "redundant/uninspired" characters). I carried them over each game, as best I vould, some of them have been around for 10 years. Since each has a very specific personality each game, I ended up subconsciously creating backstories for them. As each character got more play-time, I got more attached. Now I can't imagine an SC game without them. They are as much a part of the cast to me as Voldo, and Mitsu. I even create alternate costumes for them. It might be sad but idgaf. I'm almost embarrassed to say I probably have about 100 hours on creation alone.

For me, CaS is used to create my own original characters. I play as these characters exclusively after making them.

I don't see the point of CaS unless there are weapon movesets that are independent from the main cast. All you're doing is playing as one of the main characters in a different avatar. That's a half arsed feature IMO.
There is nothing wrong with having our custom characters use the fighting styles of the cast. After all, more than half the cast (Kilik, Sophitia, Taki, etc.) are using established disciplines like Ling-Sheng Su. They didn't create them, but are instead masters of their respective fighting styles.

I don't see the point of CaS unless there are weapon movesets that are independent from the main cast. All you're doing is playing as one of the main characters in a different avatar. That's a half arsed feature IMO.
It also means I can play characters I don't like the design or personality of, like cervy, ivy or kilik.

I create Colonel Sanders at the first opportunity. I will be quite sad if there is no lizardman since he always has the chicken I need.
colonel-sanders-2.jpg

SOULCALIBUR_18.PNG
Joking aside I usually use it to create characters from other mediums (often rpgs of western, jrpg, or tabletop origin) or create alternate costumes of characters I tend to use. It really depends on what they give us to mess around with. Hopefully we have a lot of availability to create characters...you would think the tech is far enough along to give us a lot of boxes to create many alternates. It's fun to see what other people create when versing online..

Last edited:
I create Colonel Sanders at the first opportunity. I will be quite sad if there is no lizardman since he always has the chicken I need.
Joking aside I usually use it to create characters from other mediums (often rpgs of western, jrpg, or tabletop origin) or create alternate costumes of characters I tend to use. It really depends on what they give us to mess around with. Hopefully we have a lot of availability to create characters...you would think the tech is far enough along to give us a lot of boxes to create many alternates. It's fun to see what other people create when versing online..
SOMETIMES its fun to see what other people create. Sometimes its a god-awful experience. Makes me wish we have an option to shut-off custom outfits and only see the standard costumes or a preset custom outfit... but i realize that request would be a bit too much. I also dont care for the armor break mechanic. Wish we could shut that off too.

I definitely understand this sentiment.

I love playing dress-up and creating alternate outfits for the main characters. However, there's so much personality in all of the main cast movesets that it never feels like I can create a real original character. As soon as they're in-game my brain just says "that's Ivy, that's Mitsurugi, etc. etc." I do sometimes make original characters, but will invariably go back to the "real" character their moveset it borrowed from.

Sometimes I'll recreate characters from other games, but I'm a real perfectionist and any tiny inadequacy in my recreation ends up bothering me way more than it should. So I eventually stop playing with them.

So yeah. I do all the CAS stuff that you're supposed to, but my obsession over details means that my favorite thing to do will always be making alternate costumes for the main cast.

I definitely understand this sentiment.

I love playing dress-up and creating alternate outfits for the main characters. However, there's so much personality in all of the main cast movesets that it never feels like I can create a real original character. As soon as they're in-game my brain just says "that's Ivy, that's Mitsurugi, etc. etc." I do sometimes make original characters, but will invariably go back to the "real" character their moveset it borrowed from.

Sometimes I'll recreate characters from other games, but I'm a real perfectionist and any tiny inadequacy in my recreation ends up bothering me way more than it should. So I eventually stop playing with them.

So yeah. I do all the CAS stuff that you're supposed to, but my obsession over details means that my favorite thing to do will always be making alternate costumes for the main cast.
You totally get where I'm coming from. It's exactly these reasons that breaks my suspension of disbelief. SC3 did the best CaS because there were a ton of extra movesets that weren't attached to anyone. That to me made CaS immersive.

You totally get where I'm coming from. It's exactly these reasons that breaks my suspension of disbelief. SC3 did the best CaS because there were a ton of extra movesets that weren't attached to anyone. That to me made CaS immersive.
I'd love to have some CaS unique styles, would be a great compromise to CaS players for having to put up with nonCaSable guests all the time.

I use CaS to make my own original character all the time. I will rarely make a character from other medium because there is little space for CaS.Though, even if I did it will be a cosplay for a canon character. I find it strange that some have an issue using a fighting style from a pre-existing character. I actually don't have much of an issue with that and I do make some men with female fighting styles and women with male styles. If I ever get a chance I might show them off or not at all honestly.

I used CaS back in SCV to create my own roster, and I will be using it again to perhaps recreate that same roster or come up with an entirely new one. I also like to test my own creative limits and recreate popular characters outside the series in CaS.

Can I just reply "for everything"? Mostly for recreating characters from my wife's novel, but also to remake characters from other games, once to make myself (was kinda funny) and often to just play around with wacky ideas. Love character creation in most games and this is no exception!

While SC4 had the worst of the CaSes in my opinion, they were also the best looking. Item sizes felt off in V and customs also looked like action figures. At least with the brighter colors. They just lacked a certain polish that felt like they were Pixar characters rather than Soulcalibur characters.

I jumped into SCV's CaS again after a long time and I completely forgot about how unoptimized and limiting CaS could be in that game. There's things with a lot of equipment conflicting with each other (when conceivably they shouldn't) and also a great lack of really detailed and interesting equipment pieces. Then there's also the issue with some equipment that can be used in conjunction having a shit ton of clipping issues (the DLC Valkyrie Helm for females comes to mind + all the hairs).

I really wish that the new system they're operating on will alleviate many of these issues on top of giving us more diverse and detailed equipment pieces.
Yeah SC5's creation while a step in the right direction still left a bit to be desired, especially with all those equipment conflicts! Hopefully VI finally gets it right lol

Yeah SC5's creation while a step in the right direction still left a bit to be desired, especially with all those equipment conflicts! Hopefully VI finally gets it right lol
It screwed me up so many times. If things clip just let us deal with it. I don't mind. I want to be able to wear a baihu and cropped pants.

It quite bothered me when things that could fit and layer together in SCV CaS ended up with your character looking bloated like a balloon. A lot of my creations/edits ended up forgoing either a middle layer or the armored chest piece altogether because they ended up looking so bulky.

A necessary evil is that rather than the middle piece, we lose it and instead get undergarments divided for tops and bottoms. That could easily be part of the floatiness.

But I’ll be annoyed if we still can’t choose facial hair. Mitsurugi and Siegfried lost their awesome beards and Cervantes might have a creepy skin tone.

But y’all may want to try out Champions Online or Dragon’s Dogma while waiting for news and even after. The latter was good for me to practice envisioning my OCs faces.

In fact my avatar is from a character creator for RPG Maker resources I purchased.

Regardless III was the best for outfits, IV had the prettiest customs, and V for overall customizabllity.

I think a better solution to the floatiness is to have a limited height/width scaler on armor pieces (as well as X/Y/Z placement for the likes of pauldrons) to more precisely fit the parts you want together. Essentially what special equipment has (and there were a few non-special pieces in Broken Destiny that supported this feature). It puts a lot of responsibility into the player's hands, but lets face it, players who want to make hideous things are going to make hideous things whether the tools to do so are advanced or not.

The only issue I see possibly arising with this is clothing physics acting strangely. Not sure how that works exactly.

Back