Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Summary of my stream earlier where I looked at more animation stuff:

SC4 Yoda: Has some Yun-Seong stuff, which actually animates correctly for him.

SC5 characters: Not really anything interesting to find. Patroklos, Pyrrha, and Pyrrha Omega all have a bunch of Sophitia stuff. Aeon probably has all Kratos animations. The all-new movesets have basically no leftovers. Devil Jin has some Heihachi stuff. The replacement characters have stuff from the characters they are based on (Xiba has Kilik stuff, Natsu has Taki stuff, etc).

SC3 characters: The CAS movesets have animations of the characters they are based on. New characters have no leftovers (I think they were generally very good at cleaning up animation files in early games, probably because they had to for memory reasons). Colossus has a ton of Sophitia animations and they look pretty amazing.

Overall, SC6 has the craziest hidden animations. I think that's the game where they'd done the least amount of cleaning up of animation files.

If they do a Season 3 bet money we get Sora from Kingdom Hearts.
I kinda doubt it. Kingdom Hearts III seems to be a flop, and it seems like Final Fantasy VII Remake is getting all the attention now that it's out.

I don't think Didney would allow that lol
Square, not Disney. Kingdom Hearts uses Disney stuff but Disney doesn't have any rights to the original characters, I'm pretty sure.

I kinda doubt it. Kingdom Hearts III seems to be a flop, and it seems like Final Fantasy VII Remake is getting all the attention now that it's out.

Square, not Disney. Kingdom Hearts uses Disney stuff but Disney doesn't have any rights to the original characters, I'm pretty sure.
Actually, Disney Kingdom Hearts and the original characters within it (eg:Sora, Riku etc). Square Enix just owns the Final Fantasy characters. Nomura said this way back in the mid 2000's and John Vignocchi clarified it in recent years.

I'm streaming a set for a bit. Come hit me up to chat and stuff. I'm trying to get a follower list to feel less of a nerd as I pump up my gaming hours.

I will no doubt be discussing a topic that's incredibly relevant to what you want to talk about. No doubt.

Attachments

• received_183737725876249.png
    received_183737725876249.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 67
No. Particularly because it would clash with established lore for him to do so. The dual axes style and Kratos attacks didn’t come until after his clash with Kratos and having absorbed some of his power.
Hold up, let's be clear about something. That whole "SCV Lizardman has moves reminiscent of Kratos in SC:BD because the latter 'absorbed' them from the former" is your personal theory, correct? I can't recall seeing anything remotely like that in SCV, and although you would know better than me about the lore, the series has had a pretty consistent approach to guest characters: horn them into the narrative in some contrived, silly way (even by Soulcalibur standards) for the game they appear in, and then never mention them again in a later entry. I'd be pretty surprised to learn that they departed from that strategy here, since not only would it involve the usual continuity issues, but they also should not be referencing a character owned by a third party in a game for which the have not licensed said character.

The actual explanation for why Aeon has some of Kratos' moves is pretty simple: development for SCV was under extreme crunch pressure and thus the devs took shortcuts all over the place/made design choices that probably would have been second-guessed at some point if they had time to slow down and reconsider, and the draw of a complete moveset created for a game most fans never saw was too great a lure. I don't think we really need an in-lore explanation for everything in a goofy fighting game context to make it all fit together, but regardless, we should at least be clear where the line between in-game references and fan speculation is. On the other hand, I suspect your response could possibly start with something along the lines of "Actually, in New legends of..."

His story art in SoulCalibur VI shows him with Xi Sword & Game Shield, and the Lesser Lizardman moveset also reeks of incomplete work in progress style. If we see Aeon as a DLC character, I have no doubts that it will be a completed version of Lesser Lizardman.
I do think that we will get something closer to classic Lizardman by far this time around, as regards his playstyle (though my bet is that this time they call him 'Aeon' from the outset). But I don't think it's going to be a purist moveset that completely harkens back to the beginning of the franchise ;indeed, they haven't done that for any character in this game--their moves pull from the entirety of their continuity in the series--and it would be particularly difficult to do that in Lizardman's case.

Rather I think we will get something like a pastiche of his moves from SCI-SCIV, and that even if he starts out with the Xi sword, they may very well accelerate his progression to casting aside the sword and picking up the axe (which as a gameplay matter occurred in the first time in SCIII the first time around) during the narrative of SCVI, as part of the narrative of his losing his humanity and turning against the gods who pretty completely abandoned him to a horrific fate he suffered while in service to them (pretty much a theme in these games: why does anybody become a "holy warrior" exactly? it seems to have some pretty huge occupational risks and no support from your superiors...). And to be honest, I wouldn't rule out some SCV Aeon moves in Lizardman's SCVI Soul Charge arsenal. It would fit with the tone and mechanics decently enough.

The real question for me is, does Aeon start out human in his Soul Chronicle? If he does, whose moveset does he use until he is changed? It wouldn't be Lizardman's with all of his crawling about and animalistic features we can presume are still in the moveset. Maybe Cassandra's? It's sufficiently close enough to what we might expect from a human Aeon, I suppose, but has some definitely genderized/sexualized moves in the most recent iteration that would look odd on Aeon. But honestly, it would be odd to have any character start out their Soul Chronicle fighting without someone else's moveset. So maybe they start the narrative before his transformation, but your first chances to actually fight with him is immediately after, as the cult tests his lethalness? And then his narrative snakes through getting free of the cult, the various different little interactions with other characters (of which I think there are quite a few in the original narrative), attempting to find redemption through faith in the gods, and then ultimately turning his back on them an/or just succumbing to madness and his lizard mind and casting aside the xi sword in favour of the axe in the lead-up to the events originally covered in SCIII.

Well, regardless, I'm sure he'll have a moveset that pulls from across his appearances, likely up to and including some elements from SCV. I actually, as a gameplay matter, would not mind a dual axe approach, as (whatever else you say about his SCV changes, which really do constitute a mostly new and distinct moveset from older Lizardman) this really set him apart from other styles that evolved out of the original sword and shield moveset. But as a stylistic matter, considering this game's fidelity to the classic aesthetics, I think we're getting a sword and shield or axe and shield variant (hopefully both, and hopefully both available for CaS purposes!). But I do think they will accelerate his evolution towards the less human and more unique form of the character.

If they do a Season 3 bet money we get Sora from Kingdom Hearts.
How much money? Because I'm definitely down for some 'easiest money I ever made.' :)

Last edited:
Sophitia's would be better.
I suppose you're right: they are both fully-fledged 'Holy Warriors' after-all. But Cassandra or Sophitia, there are always going to be some moves there that just don't look quite right for a male character. Which ties in with why I loath how their movesets have been increasingly sexualized/given genderized flourishes (even as their proportions have increased like some inflation fetishist's wet dream): not because I dislike what it means for CaS per se, but more because actual practitioners of martial disciplines don't have these flourishes, and most SC attacks that involve the ass are extra-strength ridiculous. I mean, sure, give Ivy a pass: that whole dominatrix thing is baked into her character and always has been (and her weapon and style are based 100% in fantasy anyway, rather than borrowing somewhat from real world arts, as with most other classic characters). But the butt and crotch attacks for Sophie and Cassie just detract so much from the flow and feel of the movesets, the seriousness of the characters, and the flexibility of the moveset for CaS purposes.

That's so sad! I know Season 2 is super hype news for this game but I was really hoping they wouldn't announce a new season unless it would be coming in at least 3 months!

I will wait all the way for evo japan for news if it means we get to know who all of the season 2 characters.

Last edited:
Back