Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'm on board with buffs overall and no nerfs.

And in the case of Sophitia, who is finally Top after a long while, leave her alone and let her shine.

Or else we end with Raphael again.

On board with let the characters shine and avoid the nerf bats. Sensible balance as well and avoid dumb stuff like old school Mitsurugi 2KB.
I’d be okay with it as long they are bug fixes or hitbox issues addressed. There are two ways to take this though. On one hand, it allows the character to still stay in the scene without taking a drop. On the other hand, the developers can end up taking these buffs too far to the point the character can reach absurd levels of bullshit such as
Season 1 Azwel.

Basically, there needs to be a limit to how far you can buff or nerf a character (especially a top tier) within a patch. Same goes for the more lower ranked characters. Voldo as a big example. If they allowed him to freely stay in Blindstance while blocking attacks he’d have arguably among the best guard punishment in the game to the point he gets away with murder. An i10 AA, an i12 CE, i14 BB, i16 4K launcher and 6. This would be the second coming of the Mantis Crawl if it happened.

Regarding top ranked characters, Zasalamel being an example of where he received a projectile that granted him a free curse even after being buffed like hell after 1.11. Azwel is an example in terms of nerfs in Season 2 where he’s still a strong character even after taking some hits to his best tools.

And regarding nerfs there are many times when the nerf is understandable. Voldo’s MCHT for example. Originally Blindstance 6[B+K] had an unblockable setup that allowed him a free LH combo for Mantis Crawl Head Towards 66. This was a problem and everyone knew that had to go. Azwel’s backstep was a good example too.

TL;DR If we focus on strictly buffing characters it can lead to disastrous results. Nerfs exist to even out the playing field. Sometimes they’re questionable but other times it’s understandable.

Last edited:
The whole balance idea of "better buff than nerf" is what makes this game annoying as fuck. We see where this got us basically everyone is overtuned and a pain in the ass to fight against.
OH MY GOD YES.

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS.

PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAACH!!!!!!!

The reason they didn’t commit to ages is likely due to 1583-1590 being a wide berth of time and not every character model is contemporary to every other character model, so it would be a mess, but even so, it wouldn’t have hurt them to provide birth years. Amy is the one main character who has never officially been given an age.
Amy herself probably doesn't know how old she is, she used to be an orphan living on the streets after all. Not exactly the kind of person to carry a birth certificate around.

Don't really hold much of an opinion on the buffs/nerfs thing, though I don't mind their approach to balance generally. Some nerfs are needed in some places for sure, as well as plenty of bug-fixing, but while most nerfs have been reasonable or only slightly questionable, they definitely have to avoid nerfs that go too far and end up needing to be reverted. Nightmare and Siegfried losing 1A+G's ability to Ring Out briefly despite being painfully obvious if they're back's to the edge and blockable despite being a grab being a strong example of how they've made bad calls in the past on that.

But, I think everyone can agree on this: While community input is necessary and changes need to be made, even if it's in part pointless seeming ones sometimes to give an illusion or bug fixes to maintain attention, at least we know we'll never get something like SCV's ungodly balance patch. That patch was the definition of why the community at large while important, is capable of asking for things they absolutely won't want when they get it. Case in point: Viola was considered too weak for difficulty of use pre-patch, people complained a lot, then she became the peak of power that earned hatred despite being the fault of the community more than anything. The current balancing team needs to reconsider some choices a touch, but at least they aren't letting things get like that where characters are made permanently bad or godly. Continued support is a lovely thing.

At least SCVI is the first game in a very long time where every character is playable. You can get in work with any character. You can't really say that about the last few games.
Except for Z.W.E.I., this was also pretty true of SoulCalibur V. There were still some pretty major balance issues, but the core of mostly everyone was solid at least if not better. Z.W.E.I. was just woefully terrible.

At least SCVI is the first game in a very long time where every character is playable. You can get in work with any character. You can't really say that about the last few games.
I’m surprised that it took some characters this long to finally get good, like Raphael and especially Mina. But to Raph’s credit he at least had SOME decent moves on hand, Mina however had nothing at all to the point she felt like an unfinished character.

Except for Z.W.E.I., this was also pretty true of SoulCalibur V. There were still some pretty major balance issues, but the core of mostly everyone was solid at least if not better. Z.W.E.I. was just woefully terrible.
Even then, there were two characters that nearly broke the game. Viola and aPat. The former for ToD and RO carries and the latter for basically...everything else. And as for other characters that were duds I would put Sieg, Raph, and Damp in the “Better than ZWEI but still aren’t great camp!” too. They had more workable tools and a much clearer picture on how they worked but they still fell short due to their problems.

Mina is nothing..
eLE7K_s-200x150.gif

You know, Nyte could have such a big "I told you guys!!!!" moment if he were to return now.

Considering we have tweets like this where the development team admits they spent time designing and creating unique underwear styles for each character and this was one of the things they focused on for SC6:

It was pretty obvious already, but if you follow the SC6 dev team's twitter accounts it becomes even more obvious they're all about fanservice.

Yep.

Groh, while weak, can still do some damage versus at least High Tiers and Top Tiers not being played at their peak of skill.

I’m surprised that it took some characters this long to finally get good, like Raphael and especially Mina. But to Raph’s credit he at least had SOME decent moves on hand, Mina however had nothing at all to the point she felt like an unfinished character.

Even then, there were two characters that nearly broke the game. Viola and aPat. The former for ToD and RO carries and the latter for basically...everything else. And as for other characters that were duds I would put Sieg, Raph, and Damp in the “Better than ZWEI but still aren’t great camp!” too. They had more workable tools and a much clearer picture on how they worked but they still fell short due to their problems.

Raphael was very good in SC2 with the 2G Prep and SCCs mixups.

Obviously, SC6 Raphael is the best version of the character ever (same with Mina) but SC2 is the second best and highly competitive.

July ending in nothing will be 4 months and officially the longest wait.

There is still time for end of July like Haohmaru.

Maybe Namco may have announcements next weekend. I really don't believe the Rollback Netcode for SCVI rumor. Tekken 7 getting Rollback Netcode for Season 4 makes since because Harada keeps saying "we are working on it".

Back