Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I suppose they'll allow Tekken to breathe for a while before showing anything for any other fighting franchise. FigherZ will succeed either way, and Soul Calibur has the niche of being one of the few fighting games that actually cares about the more casual audience, so as long as they keep that niche, it can stand alongside the other two. It just makes me question why other companies like Capcom don't try a similar approach with other fighting game franchises...

Alright so now that Tekken 8 is out, I'm going to start pining for soul calibur 7. Tekken 7 came out June 2017 and then SC6 was announced at that year's game awards in December. So is it absurd to think an announcement by the end of this year is possible and a 2025 release?

Guys, I'm a little worried about Bandai Namco. In the past couple of days there have been canceled games behind the scenes but also From Software, who have done Dark Souls games have purchased the Elden Ring trademark off Bandai Namco because their parent company, the Kadokawa Corporation is going to be self publishing.

Alright so now that Tekken 8 is out, I'm going to start pining for soul calibur 7. Tekken 7 came out June 2017 and then SC6 was announced at that year's game awards in December. So is it absurd to think an announcement by the end of this year is possible and a 2025 release?
That's certainly not unrealistic to hope for. This might be a bit too optimistic, but it's possible that we could even be looking at a similar timeframe, which would mean a Summer reveal for Soulcalibur VII. Not gonna hold my breath on that one though. Especially since the last character in Tekken 8's Season 1 DLC won't be releasing until Winter and they probably don't want too much overlap between games.

Why yes I'm an aesthetics man too.

Ivy Valentine SC6.png

That's certainly not unrealistic to hope for. This might be a bit too optimistic, but it's possible that we could even be looking at a similar timeframe, which would mean a Summer reveal for Soulcalibur VII. Not gonna hold my breath on that one though. Especially since the last character in Tekken 8's Season 1 DLC won't be releasing until Winter and they probably don't want too much overlap between games.
I think 2025 is probably a little too optimistic. There's a lot of factors which would tend to inflate the timeline here a little, such as the trend towards longer development cycles and protracted release dates, as well as the fact that Namco are flush with many different IP that are overdue or otherwise ripe for a new release, plus their tendency, with this franchise in particular, to take just a little bit longer to get around to the next game with each entry.

While I think the scenario mokamoka dreams of is unlikely, I do believe they've hit upon the right thing to look towards over the next year to try to get a sense of what the timeline looks like: how fast the Tekken DLC releases. It's always worth remembering when it comes to this particular franchise that the internal developer factors for this series is a little outside the norm: Project Soul is not a standing development studio within Namco, but rather an ad-hoc team that gets reconstituted every time a new mainline entry in the franchise gets greenlit. Much of the senior development staff for that team invariably gets imported over from the Tekken development team. Given that a) the company turns a larger scaled profit, relative to development costs, on DLC (and has really embraced the continuing support/season pass model for the fighters as a result), and b) Tekken is a much bigger cash cow than Soulcalibur overall, I would guess that, while there is going to be some overlap between post-release development for Tekken 8 and the early design phase of development for Soulcalibur VII, the rubber will really only hit the road after production of the second T8 season pass.

So 2026-ish is where I'd put my money and all factors considered, it's possible (if unlikely) we might not see it until 2027, depending on how the industry and the genre are doing in the next couple of years and what Namco decides it's priorities are going to be. But again, if I had to make a bet, 2026. Which, if I recall correctly, is what I projected back in 2018 when almost everyone who had an opinion on the matter (here at 8WR) was making pie-in-the-sky predictions about how the "massive success" of SCVI meant that SCVII was all but certain to release in 2021, lol! People (especially consumers in this space) just never take the time to understand the realities of how the things they adore are made. I guarantee you that if Soulcalibur VII comes out in 2026, and is even mildly popular, you will find me arguing here with people predicting that Soulcalibur VIII will come out in 2030. I mean, assuming there is an 8WR.com in 2026, anyway! I sure hope the community wakes up as we do get more news/indications of what's coming down the pike.

Guys, I'm a little worried about Bandai Namco. In the past couple of days there have been canceled games behind the scenes but also From Software, who have done Dark Souls games have purchased the Elden Ring trademark off Bandai Namco because their parent company, the Kadokawa Corporation is going to be self publishing.
I wouldn't be too concerned about that last part: planning for that possibility was almost certainly baked into the original publishing arrangements, considering FromSoftware's development as a company and subsidiary over the last ten years, and the fact that they only relied on Namco (and other partners) to publish in certain markets.

That said, I'm curious which games reportedly got cancelled mid-development? I'm less concerned for the company's fortunes (they are a massive corporation with about as deep an IP and holdings catalog as they come in this industry) than I am about them pivoting to mobile, gambling, or other streams of income outside of mainstream titles (that is to say, pulling a Konami). That's actually not a zero-risk possibility; as I recall, Namco has been exploring the Pachinko space aggressively for some years. I mean, they are much more massive company, so we don't have to fear a complete pivot, but the thing with Namco is that a decision to move even a small fraction of their efforts towards something other than mainstream triple-A titles could spell the unceremonious end for entire series.

Last edited:
I'm a massive VF fan, so I'd love for this to be true, but I'm afraid this seems super unlikely. My view on the "professional leakers" generally is that they are just doing random cold reads on the industry as a whole (with accordingly vague specifics) and hoping that their few lucky strikes / speculations garner enough attention (and are well received enough by enthusiasts) that they are much better remembered than the far more numerous bad reads that didn't pan out. And if that is my take on this class of content miller generally, it goes quintuple for Vergeben in particular.

And unfortunately, I am super skeptical of this rumor in particular. Former VF staff are involved? Who, considering there is virtually (no pun intended) no one from the teams in question still working at Sega, and the specific internal studio subsidiary that produced the last game is now defunct? Additionally, this is at least the third time I have heard basically this exact rumor in the last few years. I gotta tell you, I'd be so hyped to see a new Virtua Fighter game that I'd love to be wrong about this, no matter how much crow I'd have to eat for calling bullshit on this, but at the moment, bullshit it very much smells like.

Last edited:
Back