Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

So about Azwel, I wonder if he has a lot of OP mechanics but doesn't have a SC. Maybe he has his own gauge for something unique to him.

I do see the point, but at least Julia/JC still felt like herself to some degree (had a fair amount of her original moves, with the wrestling stuff combined). Though I'm sure Viola has some Amy moves too when analysed, (like the backflip). It's a fine line I suppose. I did always wish Julia had just been herself in Tekken Tag 2 though. That whole 'posing for her friend' story just seemed pointless. They could've just put her friend in as a new mexican wrestler style fighter instead of trying to change an established member, though I think they did that more because Michelle was in the game and didn't want to clone her too much. With Viola there's no danger of her being a clone so there's no real reason to replace another character with her.

Again though, it's just me. As a perpetually depressed emo who hates everything, I felt a connection to Amy's numb, uncaring personality and whilst there are flickers of it with Viola, it just didn't feel the same for me. I appreciate most people don't have that kind of connection the characters so don't care as much, and Viola's style is clearly more popular and again, most people care more about gameplay so it makes sense she'd be preferred.

Yeah I definitely agree that a low budget isn't a death sentence per-say but it can't have helped. Still, as you said at least they gave them a chance, and from the looks of things so far they nailed it and whilst there's a couple of things that have fans concerned, the general consensus seems to be that this is the best Soulcalibur since III at least and tons of people are flocking to it.

I went to try and preorder the deluxe edition at my local Game store and unfortunately they didn't have it on their system yet, but even they said that they were anticipating it to sell out 'because it's Soulcalibur' and I was surprised. Shows that people are talking about it and it's getting out there if random cashiers are like 'oh yeah this gonna sell like crazy'. Of course they coulda just been trying to charm me into coming back to pre-order when they DO get it on their system but eh, lol. I'll be doing that anyway.

That would be pretty damn sweet, and if they know about the leak, they'll know that thanks to confirming Azwel's name, we now technically know the remaining roster so they might just think "welp, we have no more surprises for them so here, have ALL TEH TINGS!"

I doubt it though :/ they'll probably just stick to the 2-weekly thing.

I don't see the Azwel-Viola comparison very well (but definitely the Algol-Necrid-Noctis one).

Honestly I think people assume Amy/Viola fans are just disgusting perverts who don't deserve to get what they want and they probably see those characters as nothing but fanservice that don't deserve to be in the game over more legacy story characters. I can just about understand their point of view but it's very narrow minded. As mentioned, I love Amy because we have similar personalities and I feel like that lonely, emo roll isn't really filled elsewhere. Groh could've been that but he just feels too anime and cocky. Amy had a bit of arrogance but it never came off as egotistical the way Grohs does at times. He really is unlikable but nowhere near as Patroklos so i'll take it, lol
I totally agree with you again but in the same time it's a bit normal since we are both hopelessly defending the same character xD
But you know a lot of people that despise Amy will say that she doesn't have a personality and that Viola just fixed a bit, but much, which I find really dumb, to those people a closed and retracted person have no personality... That's just sad, and a really narrow way of thinking... :/

What a pleasant surprise, in regards to Azwel. I was among those who would've liked to see Algol back before, as his style is relatively interesting as a pocket character sorta, but now I'd say Algol is entirely irrelevant. Sure, they could both co-exist, but Azwel is just an far better character in design, moveset, and personality. Talk about a character having gone completely mad in the best of ways. Much as Groh is interesting, I have to say I like the looks of Azwel significantly more-so. If that transformation and all is a Soul Charge form and alternate CE for him like Kilik, then that just furthers my curiosity about his moveset. Looks like he actually manipulates the power of Astral Chaos in that form.

Can't say I really see how some people are saying this makes Viola irrelevant. Necrid and Algol, sure, but Viola's moveset being more focused on positioning of the orb in that regard sets itself apart a fair bit. I feel like they could probably pull off her inclusion pretty easily between that and if they put more emphasis on some sort of dance-like animations perhaps. Doubt it, but just a thought.

If the leaks pointing towards Inferno being playable are right, I welcome that. A mimic does ultimately offer another option and level of variety to gameplay in their own right, after all. Even if that's not preferable for some, I'd bet they went the route of being a mimic with unique moves and CE like Elysium, possibly for every moveset with some static personal moves or something. Maybe 1 or 2 unique moves per moveset in Soul Charge? I doubt as many people would take issue

I'll say that its generally not cool to duplicate a style, weapon, or concept. Now yes, i'm aware it has been and is being done. When you consider the exceptions made such as the extreme popularity of sword/board or greatswords. In Raphael and Amy's case when the gender, speed and appearance are different enough to justify a duplicate weapon. However i just dont think a levitating weapon is in demand enough to allow both Viola and Azwel. At this point i would prefer Amy.

Also, am i missing something? Was it ever canonically stated somewhere that Viola and Amy are the same person? Or is this running strictly off popularity that people believe PS will shoehorn in a character from several years into the future?

Azwel would i think be far more appealing as a female. They missed an opportunity with that especially seeing how heavily male the cast is at the moment.

Instead of giving the mimic one or two different moves, i'd rather they let us choose which movesets show up randomly.

I don't see the Azwel-Viola comparison very well (but definitely the Algol-Necrid-Noctis one).

It seems i might be the only one here with that thought. No one else has said anything that i've noticed. But i have always liked Amy.

Last edited:
It sort of is the umbrella, but in the trailer you can tell it’s just a energy shield thing from the other angles you get to view it

It's a shield

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h40m42s264.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h41m02s913.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h41m13s193.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h41m35s295.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h41m51s918.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h43m18s463.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h44m18s076.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h44m35s124.png

So about Azwel, I wonder if he has a lot of OP mechanics but doesn't have a SC. Maybe he has his own gauge for something unique to him.

Soul Charge
vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h50m44s073.png

vlcsnap-2018-08-26-12h50m50s583.png

To me, that seemed like more of a boss mode addition he has in Libra of Souls, but is not in the playable version of him, which is why they separated it out, but I guess it could be like Kilik's.

Also, am i missing something? Was it ever canonically stated somewhere that Viola and Amy are the same person? Or is this running strictly off popularity that people believe PS will shoehorn in a character from several years into the future?
It wasn't stated in-game, but it's just that there's far too many similarities to ignore, for starters, and then the New Legends of Project Soul art book gave more plot details about Viola, Raphael, NIghtmare, and Z.W.E.I. where dots can be connected to figure it out, it's not really hard. Something happened to de-malfest Amy and allow her to age, which may have been the crystal ball, and as a price, it took her memories. Viola is just as much Amy as Nightmare in SoulCalibur V is Raphael. The incomplete story in-game doesn't help, but Z.W.E.I. and Nightmare were thrown off the same cliff, so it's not a stretch to assume that they would have recovered, and Raphael's regained consciousness would no longer be aware of his Graf Dumas persona, and Z.W.E.I. would understand that Raphael was being used, and then they would have searched for Viola/Amy together, not knowing that they were actually looking for the same person, and when they found her, conflict would happen and they'd have to settle their differences to reveal the truth and who knows what really would have happened in the end? We may never know, but all the set pieces were there.

what exactly is Azwel's weapon? It's called "Palindrome" but is it an actual weapon we can see in the trailer?

From the video description:
Azwel, Leader of Humanity, wields the powerful weapon Palindrome which grants him the ability to manifest weapons out of thin air!
other bandai namco channels mention it as an "device", so it looks like it may be a artifact, that he created or got it somehow, to me it seems hidden in his gloves

From the video description:
Azwel, Leader of Humanity, wields the powerful weapon Palindrome which grants him the ability to manifest weapons out of thin air!
other bandai namco channels mention it as an "device"

thanks. well, if it's an actual "device", then that gives me hope his style will be available in CAS.

just to confirm my reply,
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Europe is where i saw that mention "device"

"“You shall be sacrificed for the human race!” Azwel, Leader of Humanity, makes his debut in SOULCALIBUR VI! This highly intelligent fighter wields Palindrome, a powerful device which enables him to manifest weapons out of thin air and use vastly different fighting techniques."

Actually nevermind, upon closer inspection, it's actually the spear:
Cm7jgUD.jpg
12dRN1P.jpg
It just goes by so fast that it looks like just a staff when the camera angle changes. It could be the gauntlets, yeah, that seems reasonable.

yeah, I think the gauntlets make more sense. plus, they always have the red/blue glow around them, which matches the weapons he summons.

hopefully, the gauntlets will be a selectable weapon style in CAS.

In V, I believe Viola sported the Orb plus a clawed glove/gauntlet. I know the Orb was selectable in CAS, but did the glove go along with the Orb in CAS, too?

yeah, I think the gauntlets make more sense. plus, they always have the red/blue glow around them, which matches the weapons he summons.

hopefully, the gauntlets will be a selectable weapon style in CAS.

In V, I believe Viola sported the Orb plus a clawed glove/gauntlet. I know the Orb was selectable in CAS, but did the glove go along with the Orb in CAS, too?
Nope, the glove was part of the costume and not the weapon.

Back