Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Given that cas have been their primary dlc cash cow with the games from sciv onwards I have trouble believing that work on cas is actually subtractive overall.
How much money a company can make on a feature isn't necessarily an indicator of the quality of that product. The core aspect of the game is versus mode between standard characters . That core mode is not only negatively impacted by the team needing to allocate time and money to developing CaS, but also making sure that standard characters don't look like they're of a significantly higher quality. CaS increases the quantity of things you can do in the game, but it harms the quality of the fundamental experience.

You CaS naysayers can complain all you want. But CaS IS a core aspect of this series, along with guest characters. Just like how there are people who would have never considered this game without seeing Geralt in it, there are people like me that see CaS as the only reason to bother with this game. Not interested in the standard characters; I want to make my own. What part of that don't you people get?

SoulCalibur 3 had CaS and the most content, so don't say that it hurts the experience. Can't believe there are those that want to see the feature cut.

Soulcalibur Series Character Popularity Poll (for those who have forgotten the results)
Top 10 aka. Soul Calibur VI cast
1. Talim - 862 (revenge for her absence, everybody knows)
2. Taki - 720
3. Mitsurugi - 594
4. Ivy - 536
5. Kilik - 536
6. Siegfried - 500
7. Nightmare - 498
8. Zasalamel - 471(I don't know why everyone was shocked by his triumphant return)
9. Yoshimitsu - 454 (I'm chocked about his popularity)
10. Tira - 438
Top 15 aka. Irrelevant Queens cast
11. Sophitia - 378
12. Cassandra - 339
13. Amy - 311
14. Yun-seong aka. Eye Candy from franchise - 295 (*_*)/
15. Seong Mi-na - 291
Top 30 -In main roster or DLC cast-
16. Cervantes - 268
17. Voldo
18. Xianghua - 257
19. Raphael - 254
20. Setsuka - 214
21. Viola aka. Queen of SCV - 201
22. Maxi - 199
23. Hwang - 193
24. Hilde - 154 (boycotted for 2nd outfit in SCV, everybody knows)
25. Astaroth - 142
26. Z.W.E.I. aka Best Hips artwork from franchise - 113
27. Natsu - 100
28. Pyrrha - 98
29. Xiba - 81
30. Lizardman - 76
You don't stand a chance cast
31. Rock - 71
32. Li Long - 65
33. Algol - 59
34. Dampierre - 54 (poor Oofmatic...*hysteric evil laughs*)
35. Aeon - 52
36. Pyrrha Omega - 45
37. Patroklos - 32
38. Alpha Patroklos - 30
39. Soul Edge - 30
40. Leixia - 28
41. Abyss - 27
42. Charade - 27
43. Olcadan - 26
44. Elysium aka. Misunderstood Queen - 23 (I feel bad for her, really...)
45. Edge Master - 15
  • This poll doesn't represent the entire SC community, but it is likely to interfere in some choices.
  • Since SC VI is I + II, Edge Master and Inferno must appear, even if they are NPCs
  • SC V cast probably will not show up, so expect your signature weapons and outfits available on the CaS or DLC pack.
  • Now everyone knows why the worthy successor is Natsu and not Patroklos.
  • Bye mimics...

Last edited:
People who dislike CaS and think that it subtracts from the game are committing the black & white fallacy, which separates their arguments from reality. Either that, or they are not explaining their opinions enough.

With exception of some players (e.g. That Superrobot person from the Dominican Republic on PSN) who abuse the CaS dimensions to their benefit, people who rely on CaS characters are mostly casual players, with whom you probably won't want to waste your precious time. When they, however, have a change of heart and start wanting to pursue the game's fighting experience as it was meant to be, they will start using the regular characters.

Therefore, I really see no point to this discussion. Bamco could also employ measures to allow hosts to forbid deviations from regular characters' proportions. I don't know, would be nice. :P

I've said the feature should remain because casuals love it, I'm just saying why it detracts also from the main experience of the game. It's not a difficult concept.

I'm just saying why it detracts also from the main experience of the game. It's not a difficult concept.

If you don't want to sound controversial, using the words "negatively impact" and "subtracts" and "detracts" is a good start.

You invite others to critique your opinions if you use such language.

You should either at least back up your position with some thoughtful supporting points, or be prepared to get some replies directly contradicting you.

You can instead choose to use language such as "CAS was never one of thecore concepts of a fighting game. This feature should remain because casuals love it".

I'd argue that CAS derived from having guest characters by giving the players the choice to have whatever guest character they wanted (to the best of their CAS abilities). Players are welcome to recreate their own guest characters. Project Soul can save costs by not having to licenses the specific IP and not have to develop a moveset that they won't get to re-use in future installments (apparently kratos may have certain animations recycled)

Last edited:
CaS was a great addition to the SC franchise and it really should stay. Especially if there's not gunna be much offline content. That's honestly something that killed SC5 too.

I just hope and pray that SC6 is the love child of SC2/SC3 level of offline content with the gameplay of SC5

is not the optimal reason why you're playing a fighting game
There is no such thing as "enjoying a video game in optimal way", regardless of particular reasons game serves its purpose to entertain. So what if this comes from a side-mode like CaS?
it detracts also from the main experience of the game
How so? People who came for a competitive experience would still fight their best with or without CaS and casuals would happily fool around with CaS on their own (with slight chance that some of them would decide to advance further in their skill at some point). It's a win-win. I don't get how CaS somehow makes SC less of a fighting game in your eyes.

If you don't want to sound controversial, using the words "negatively impact" and "subtracts" and "detracts" is a good start.

You invite others to critique your opinions if you use such language.

You should either at least back up your position with some thoughtful supporting points, or be prepared to get some replies directly contradicting you.

You can instead choose to use language such as "CAS was never one of thecore concepts of a fighting game. This feature should remain because casuals love it".

I'd argue that CAS derived from having guest characters by giving the players the choice to have whatever guest character they wanted (to the best of their CAS abilities).
lol

I said what I meant and if a few negative words make people ignore the rest of the posts then so be it. I don't care about it being controversial. I stated, twice, that CaS cuts into the budget of the game, namely what is used on the standard characters. No one addressed that. I never once advocated taking the mode out. I never said it makes the game less of a fighting game. I never said that it was irritating. Only that by spending a limited budget on making so many items, there's less money to work on the main characters.

Simple solution to CaS problem: make them optional online.

No CaS in Ranked or force default hitboxes (due to balance differences).
And you can choose to only see default characters in other modes via game settings or whatever. That way people can play with whatever they want without forcing others to have to see strippers and fuzzy dicks online.

No need to remove an entire feature from the game because other people do dumb shit with it. And the costume complaint makes no sense either. Game budgets aren't zero-sum. CaS is an allocated part of the budget that is kept because it pushes copies. If it were removed, we wouldn't get a feature or costumes to replace it, we'd just have one less mode. It probably costs little to implement anyway since, as armor breaking seems to imply, the characters in this game are partially built using the CaS system.

Edit: Bolded for emphasis.

I said what I meant and if a few negative words make people ignore the rest of the posts then so be it. I don't care about it being controversial. I stated, twice, that CaS cuts into the budget of the game, namely what is used on the standard characters. No one addressed that. I never once advocated taking the mode out. I never said it makes the game less of a fighting game. I never said that it was irritating. Only that by spending a limited budget on making so many items, there's less money to work on the main characters.

See if you break it down like that you'll get responses that will discuss a certain point.

Here's the flipside (I don't have any budgetary numbers)

I'd argue that CAS derived from having guest characters by giving the players the choice to have whatever guest character they wanted (to the best of their CAS abilities).

Players are welcome to recreate their own guest characters.

Project Soul can therefore save costs by not having to licenses the specific IP and not have to develop a moveset that they won't get to re-use in future installments (apparently kratos may have certain animations recycled).

I suspect that there is tremendous costs with licensing other IPs + forfeiting of some degree of control to the license holder to ensure that the guest character is up to their satisfaction (loyal to their original customer base). CAS allows more fringe guest characters to be "in" the game and may be viewed as saving budget costs in the long run.

** Also, what Turbanator says

Scenario A
  • Make 30 characters with 2 costumes a piece (including the guest character)
Scenario B
  • Make 30 characters with 2 costumes a piece (including the guest character)
  • Make an additional range of base bodies, to include sex, musculature, obesity, proportion, height, facial features
  • Make an additional 400 or so pieces that include hair, helmets, chest, arm, pants, shoes, etc
  • Make sure all of these additional items will fit on any of the above permutations of body and other items
  • Make sure all of those items are of the same quality as the first 30 characters' 2 costumes
Does it seem likely that those core 30 characters will be of the same quality in both scenarios? Maybe my 12 years as a project manager are affecting my outlook. *shrug*

Most of stuff for CaS will be updated and taken from previous games, it's not like they are making it all from scratch.
I think you might be underestimating what goes into "make", even when the asset is just "updated".

Assuming they have it as easy as simply going back to the original high resolution models, the team would then be responsible for decimating them at a higher resolution, redoing the UV maps, re-rigging/weighting, redoing the textures, making sure the new assets work together, introducing and adjusting them into Unreal 4, adding the menu options, and making sure all of these things don't break the game. All of which still costs time and money.

It's not as simple as Ctrl+V.

Back