Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Raph is garbage.
Nothing says garbage like pokes being -14 on block.

Even has low damage and no real mid step kill to boot

? Only 2K is -14, but that's universal and 11BB is -12. His other pokes are all safe on block. He does lack horizontal mids, which is indeed one of his flaws, but that doesn't automatically make him a bad character. His damage is fine.

Here to verify that Raphael Sorel is indeed on par with the likes of filthy plebebians like apat and viola. Step catches like 66A are great when characters step right through it. You are plus on whiff and come with the B+K swag that has a tiny GI window and only one move affected but it is so vital. So necessary to his competition with the top tiers.

You get that GI vs Alpha pat? 36 damage. He CHs you? Doesn't happen but theoretically he gets 100 or some horseshit but this is THEORY. No one is actually gonna punish all your stance entries where the counter is usually just ducking.

Because bam I hit you with prep K for 30 damage bitch. Your stupid Mitsu FC1B can't hit me for 80 something when I have the reads.

We don't see violas winning tournaments lately but she's still undisputably amazing...Raphael is no different SmH.

In faCT I advocate nerfs for 6. Sorry you morons can't see common sense but I guess that is what is expected of the rabble. See you in the Sorel manor cutting some bitches

? Only 2K is -14, but that's universal and 11BB is -12. His other pokes are all safe on block. He does lack horizontal mids, which is indeed one of his flaws, but that doesn't automatically make him a bad character. His damage is fine.
His pokes are -14 on block or worse. For someone with such low damage output that is garbage.

3b
Fc3b
6bb
2b
Bb
All -14 or worse on block.
Reverse mixups with prep aren't in your favor either because the payoff isn't worth the insane risk

How I'm still attempted to what now? Have we even talked before? Listen man, I'm dyslexic and half blind and it's already a nightmare to read normally, but when you add some light colored purple shit and slant it sideways, it's just torture. Regardless, you're still wrong about literally everything you said. The comment about your text was merely an anecdotal side point.

Hell, you know what, I'll P A I N S T A K I N G L Y go through every point you made with this obnoxious text and tell you why you're wrong. Let me know if I miss one;

>He isn't slow at all, nor does he deal weak damage.
Both of these points are incredibly wrong. The only thing remotely "fast" Raph has is his WR B (which is i13, and a good move). Other than that he's generally slow as fuck. He has 6BB, a 16 damage i12 move that tracks less, does less damage and is slower than several AA's. Pat's AA is i12 and does 14 damage, for reference. That's 8 damage in guts, friendo. His CE is i12 and 70 some damage, but it has an awful hitbox and that's not particularly unique to him, either. Leixia's does about the same damage with a much, much better hitbox. Doesn't seem to help her much, huh?

Other than 6BB and WR B, he has nothing special. His 2A and 2K are good, but nothing outright "good". 6BB is -14 btw. Raph can get decent damage on CH, but honestly it's negligible.

>He isn't even close to bottom tier in SCV.
Tiers are pretty general, but let me tell you that he is considered almost unanimously to be pretty fucking low tier.

>has i12 punishes which many characters don't even have
Like I said, not that unique nor are they the best.

>has an insane guard burst game and good throws
His guard bust game is not amazing in the slightest. What moves are you using that make you think that? And in a vacuum, his throws are good yea. Why are you just standing up blocking against Raph, thought? If you find yourself throwing a lot of people, it's not because the throws are good, it's because the players are bad.

>It doesn't really matter whether his match-ups are favourable or not because it ultimately comes down to player skill
That's just outright untrue in any case. Of course matchups matter. That's actually the one area where Raph shines, since he has a good match against some better characters like Cerv. If the matchups didn't matter, ZWEI would be king.

>His horizontals are fine for catching stepping opponents and some of his kicks track both ways as well. His Prep mixups are viable, some characters can't even interrupt. His CE is really good because it's i12 and deals 75 damage. He has plenty of safe moves and pokes to apply pressure, along with a plethora of frame traps. You're simply wrong, he is most certainly a well balanced character in SCV.
This entire thing is wrong. Literally ever word. His horizontals are steppable, his kicks don't track for shit, there is NO mixup from Prep (every character can interrupt that shit), his CE is trash because it has no hitbox, safe moves are kind of rare (which is why it's hard to apply pressure in games after SC2 with raph), he does not have a plethora of frame traps (only exploitation of matchup ignorance, I'm seeing a trend here) and all of this makes that last sentence hilariously ironic.

I submit to you, sir, that you have at no point had any idea what the flying FUCK you are talking about. If you wanna keep talking about it, I'd ask you to change your font though, because I ain't reading that shit again.

I could write a detailed response telling you why you're wrong, but that's honestly a waste time because it doesn't seem like anything would convince you. There is a lot of ignorance in your post. And yes, we have spoken before, but I'm getting the feeling that you're just acting like you've forgotten. If you don't want to read my posts, then don't. I'm not going to change my font just because you have a problem with it. Not that it matters to me because people like you are trash to me.

no you couldn't
because it's so simple

raph ce is invisible on frame 2, 10 and 11. His ce has the longest amount of invisibly in the whole game. Seeing the extent of his power yet?
another one, 3A is i14 fool, a horizontal mid from standing that fast? Don't get me started on the damage.

better yet, let's break it down for your peabrain. 6bb does 16 damage...it is i12. 240 hp in scv...15times.all you need is 15 6BBs to win a round...and the move has hella range so it's gonna hit LOl.
break it down more? Sure. 12x15 is 180. 180 frames to kill you.

THAT'S 3 SECONDS OF IN GAME TIME. (6BB is 0 on hit so as long as you're frame perfect this works))

I've hit people with kicks so trust me when I say they track.

Prep (his main stance ) is short for preparation. As in I am in preparation of beating you in a gentleman's duel... the mix ups aren't important its all about the prep time when you lose
@Apoc Revolution any other thoughts for this fool,brotha?

"Hold up, English is not David Blain’s first language so there might be an extra level of confusion here. "
yes, unfortunately my knowledge of English is bad.
In addition, slang words are used here, which the online translator does not know

"Virtua Fighter, Tekken and DOA all have wall splats. In fact, I can't think of any 3D fighter (with walls) that doesn't have them..."
as far as I know the Wall-splat and wall-combo in the slang of the fighting players is not the same.
Wall combo of which you speak, were much earlier than in the VF.

About Raphy.
His horizontal attack is terrible weak, but its not his main weakness.
as far as I know in the slang of the fighting players have an expression "trapper"
its means a hero with very strong reversals and defensive movements. His style of play is built around trying to trap enemy attacks, for which he received the nickname.
this type of heroes is rare in fighting games, since the battle of two "trapers" is very boring, and often ends in a time out
The Raphy in the third and fourth parts of the game is a typical "trapper". unfortunately in the fifth part of his defensive movements were greatly weakened, and it was impossible to play from the defense.

Raphael is a lot like Tekken's Lili. Just a defensive punisher. I'm sure David Blain would agree with me, as we both main those characters. You have to know exactly when you can interrupt a string with 4B. You have to know exactly when to B+K. Basically never use preparation. It wasn't even that good in 4, it somehow got even worse in 5. As far as mixups go, I mean, what mixups. Even worse are his aGIs. Yun-Seong gets a stance that he can hold indefinitely that basically throws you on any vertical attack in the game, and Raphael gets a 3 frame blink that serves better as a taunt. His 8A+B is dumb because if you know a high is coming, you should be using 4B anyway. The aGI on his 44B is also useless because simply using it properly in the first place defeats the purpose of the aGI.

They both also have similar weaknesses, such as very steppable attacks, shitty-ass block strings (or guard burst if you will) and lower damage output. Though, as a punisher, Lili is in a wayyyyy better place than Raphael is.

He's definitely not great, I'm not gonna weigh in on the whole tier thing because it's a stupid argument and who cares, but he certainly requires quite a bit more intelligence and skill to play than say, Mitsurugi.

I like Amy and all, but Raphael is just a stronger design, people say the vampirism aesthetic is generic but it is in fact one of the most subtle and well executed ones in fighting games.
I really like to see Raphael in his human form again. Rapha in SC2 had a great design ruined by that stupid vampirism aesthetic in SC3-4-5.
And yes! He's better than Amy-"the stupid lolita"

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something about Raphael. Of course, he'll probably be one of the later reveals so they can balance him perfectly within the bottom 5 characters again without having to patch him this time.
Yep..Raphael over Amy all day
I really like to see Raphael in his human form again. Rapha in SC2 had a great design ruined by that stupid vampirism aesthetic in SC3-4-5.
And yes! He's better than Amy-"the stupid lolita"
Agreed...I could care less about lollipop characters...like Amy. Raphael is the Real Fencer. Looking fwd to his reveal!

A lot of colored and italicized text

Hello my brother.

I was the original poster of colored posts back in the soulcalibur.com forum days, a time when dinosaurs still ruled on the proverbial internets of SC2 age. I have nothing to add to the discussion per se, but perhaps, as a Khajiit, I might interest you in the rest of my post on the choice of your font style and color.

Let me tell you, colored posts are great! That is, if you were using them to make guides. Colors separate the headings and text well. But you have to choose them wisely!

For example, the color you have chosen is not helpful for reading on a darker theme like the one 8WR currently uses! You should keep that in mind! Perhaps choose a lighter, and default one, such as this! It is easier on the eyes to read, but it would be better if it were even lighter! Make it sky-blue! Not so different from white, yet enough tinge to make it worth your time and still stand out like the meme you wish to be!

Secondly, italics. Italics have been used since ancient typewriter times to place emphasis! But if you place emphasis on everything, would that not defeat the purpose of an emphasis? You must learn how to stress properly! It is one of the fundamentals of type-written English!

See how I tried to emphasize properly? You should do it too! It would make your points ever more poignant, and ever more dashing to the reader! They know exactly where to look and what you are trying to point out to them! Always make things clear for your reader!

Finally, the choice of the font is important! Look at the size of your font in comparison to the default that everyone uses! It looks smaller, which makes it even harder for the eyes to read. For people like me who have been around since SC2, it has been so many years of games that our eyes have adapted to see only bigger fonts, and we must squint hard to see fonts such as the one you picked! It is also hard to read, which is just generally no-no for online reading!

Combined with the other choices you have already made, this makes it triply hard for us to even be able to decipher the alphabets of your posts, let alone the points within! Therefore, my brother, make the good choice today! Use an easy font to read, italicize only for emphasis, and choose a lighter color akin to white or none at all in order to make it so that people know you have points to make and when you make them, people listen!

That is all my brother. Stay enlightened! If you get what I mean.

From the very first colored poster of SC.com, Panther

Nah, Master Raven was and upgrade from KMart Blade.
Yeah but they still went from KMart Blade to Bootleg Michonne.
HiddenSillyBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restricted.gif

And since the topic of the day seems to be Raphael, I will say that SCIII Raphael was a great middle ground design that kept the colorfulness of his SCII design despite changing the focal color from blue to green, while incorporating the vampire direction of his character that didn't go full Alucard Raphael like they wound up doing for SCIV or "bats, bat everywhere" with a Vampire Hunter D hat that he had on SCV.
Though I will say that the artwork of SCV Raphael looked infinitely better than it translated over in-game.

Last edited:
Back