Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Characters like Lizardman (and others I've spoken against here) never appealed to me, and I honestly can't see the appeal for others. He's original, I'll give you that though. They removed half of the iconic cast in SC5 haha so I wouldn't put anything past them. I'm pretty sure Verg has mentioned multiple times that she's in? I could be wrong though but I've considered here a guarantee because of that so far. Whether he has or not, I personally think that she will be in. She's another waifu they can exploit.
Nope, not once has anyone said anything to indicate Cassandra is in. You might be confusing that with Talim or Tira, both of whom he has reaffirmed of their presence. Sadly, we still have roster cuts from the pre-SCV games because there's only so many slots and they have to make room for new fighters/guests. I pity fans of whoever stays cut, it must be hard to have to wait even longer for them to return.

Virtua Fighter had no story mode and it fell through because of that. Besides, SC has an important story, otherwise everyone could just have regular weapons and there would be no need for soul edge/Calibur.
VF fell because is one on the most technical fighting game ever made.
Story in fighting game can be a useful extension for the game, but it cannot force developers to choose what char they have to add (or not) to the roster. In a fighting game chars are ALWAYS more important than story.

Nope, not once has anyone said anything to indicate Cassandra is in. You might be confusing that with Talim or Tira, both of whom he has reaffirmed of their presence. Sadly, we still have roster cuts from the pre-SCV games because there's only so many slots and they have to make room for new fighters/guests. I pity fans of whoever stays cut, it must be hard to have to wait even longer for them to return.

Characters that I've heard that will be a part of SCVI's roster include Kilik (with the staff, obvious as to why now with how the timeline and is being handled), Xianghua, Maxi, Siegfried, Nightmare, Taki, Talim, Ivy, Cassandra, Astaroth, and Tira as well.
I heard that Zasalamel is "very likely" but signs are pointing a bit more to him possibly being DLC.

Verg's early leak.

Characters that I've heard that will be a part of SCVI's roster include Kilik (with the staff, obvious as to why now with how the timeline and is being handled), Xianghua, Maxi, Siegfried, Nightmare, Taki, Talim, Ivy, Cassandra, Astaroth, and Tira as well.
I heard that Zasalamel is "very likely" but signs are pointing a bit more to him possibly being DLC.

Verg's early leak.
Yo @Vergeben can you clear this up? I don't recall ever hearing about Cassandra in the game, and in fact I remember other people reaffirming that. I'm not against it at all, but I just to be sure going forward.

I remember the following, more recent:

It's more the suspicion of everyone else that's been said to be in (Kilik, Xianghua, Siegfried, Nightmare, Grøh, Ivy, Taki, Talim, Tira, Voldo, Maxi, Astaroth, Grøh's Papi, and later the update on Zasalamel's status being switched around) were leaked to me with certainty.
Cassandra was never a hard yes and 100% confirmation like all those others.
Only the specific note eluding to her along with the roster having a connection to who was on Lost Swords being carried over and who wasn't.
Cassandra will be on it, but I guess they could swap her with someone else if it came to it is probably the line to read between.
It doesn't sound like that's happening since I was never specifically told she's being viewed like that, but until I get a 100% confirmation from them that she's in like all the others, she's the only one I would say be a little suspicious of her status until I do hear something more certain.
I'm sure they're smart enough to know people want Cassandra back as a launch character to be there with Sophitia.

VF fell because is one on the most technical fighting game ever made.
Story in fighting game can be a useful extension for the game, but it cannot force developers to choose what char they have to add (or not) to the roster. In a fighting game chars are ALWAYS more important than story.
I could never pull out the moves on VF. I tried so hard to do Akira's Dragon Lance combo - still cannot perform it to this day... :/

I always found VF5 really fun and easy to play at an intro level, sure the technical stuff can be very difficult to pull off but I always felt the gameplay and attacks flow together really well (like a better DoA). I feel like the game being very technical at a competitive level harms the hardcore crowd more than the casual crowd.

Akira being the hardest character to play is a weird design decision though, usually you want the main faces of the series to be easy to pick up and get used to.

i might be a little late for noting this but...

ASTAROTH CONFIRMED
and his place on the roster too

note that these are all rivals... AND WHO WOULD BE MAXI'S RIVAL HUH?
View attachment 49548

this pretty much deconfirms setsuka too since taki is already on mitsu's rival slot but this also leaves a question...
who would be the last 2 rivals? on the row?

I don't think the outer rows would count for rivals, but if it did, then there's some slight changes to the story and motivations for Ivy. Originally, Ivy fought Seong-Mina in the origin stories, not Xianghua, and Ivy always knew that Soul Edge was an evil blade.

But that, if they did go that route, then there's some good match ups here from the original SC1 cast.

Rock would fight Lizardman/Aeon as he is the one who kidnapped Bangoo.

Yoshimitsu would fight Voldo as Voldo did steal his sword once (though it happened in SC2, not SC1).

Hwang and Mina did encounter each other during SC1. Hwang was charged with bringing Mina back.

Cervantes did not have a rivalry with any character in the original, though he was tied to Ivy, but I suspect that they could use the other new character as the rival for Cervantes.

And obviously, Talim would be in the center slot just beneath Geralt, being a fan favorite and a neutral character with no rivalries yet.

So next to Nightmare would either be Lizardman or Cervantes and opposite of him would be Rock or the new character.

Hwang and Mina would be below Mitsurugi and Taki.

Next to Mitsurugi and Taki would be where Rock/Lizardman would go if not at the top.

Voldo next to Groh, Astaroth next to Ivy and Sophitia.

And that basically rounds out the cast, with the far lower left slot empty for either Edgemaster a DLC character or CAS slot.

Playing the VF series isn’t so much “playing a fighting game” but more like taking a standardized test every match.

There’s a reason a lot of people hold it in high regard as far as gameplay, but no one actually plays it.

It’s technically sound, but not fun.

It kind of looked funny and ironic when Geralt cancelled Sophie’s throw. Probably because she was going to do the one kick.

Still that throw is hilarious in a game with character creation. Ironically Kratos was in it and couldn’t receive the more dickish stuff in his Mortal Kombat appearance while afaik Dampierre was allowed to make him cry.

Still I’d have to give up Mi-Na and Rock since they feel worse than their replacements.

I always found VF5 really fun and easy to play at an intro level, sure the technical stuff can be very difficult to pull off but I always felt the gameplay and attacks flow together really well (like a better DoA). I feel like the game being very technical at a competitive level harms the hardcore crowd more than the casual crowd.

Akira being the hardest character to play is a weird design decision though, usually you want the main faces of the series to be easy to pick up and get used to.

I don’t know I could never play Ryu, Jin, Kazuya. The faces of their games, Akira kinda aligns with them in that for me.

There's been a lot of people saying "Character Y won't be in the game because they're just a clone of Z." There was also a lot of chatter like this when people were speculating the roster for SC5 years ago. So I decided to make a quick video to compare some movesets to see how similar characters are. I think someone else did something similar for Hwang in SC1 some months ago.

Quick disclaimer, I only compare around 10 moves per character (I made a quick list of basic inputs which I go through). This took way more editing time than I expected and comparing more moves would have taken ages. A better comparison would be to compare high level gameplay as that will showcase the popular moves and the general playstyle, but I think this is still pretty interesting.

The comparison video (you can use the youtube video player to reduce playback speed):

I was surprised to see characters like Mitsurugi and Yoshimitsu (generally seen as super unique characters) share some basic moves. Based on this comparison, it's easy to conclude that Rock has the least to offer. Not only are a lot of his moves the same as Astaroth, he lacks the variations of those moves Astaroth can do. I'd be curious to hear from someone who's played Rock on how different he is from Astaroth.

This is also an interesting look at how Namco designed some of these characters. When making moves for a character with a similar style as someone else it looks like they tried to make new moves with a similar flow to the original character. For instance, Sophitia's and Cassandra's 44B move. Sophitia spins her sword in a circle around her while Cassandra spins her shield around. The two moves are completely different from a technical point of view but they look very reminiscent of eachother. And then there are a few moves which look very different but seem super similar from a technical standpoint (like MItsurugi's and Yoshimitu's 3B).

I'm sure Namco must have had a lot of discussions about this when determining the roster, where they consider skipping characters with the same weapon even if the moveset is unique. I'll be disappointed if a lot of these characters are skipped because of that. I personally find Cassandra a whole lot more fun to play as than Sophitia.

Back