Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

If Rock were the only SC1 roster member to be omitted, that would be kind of sad for him.
It is a matter of practicality, neither Lizardman nor Astaroth are particularly popular characters, yes they have their fans, but they make it in because they respond to a certain niche and are functional enough . Other characters make it in by cheer popularity, I think we all know Talim is not really the most popular character in the series, but her fans are whiny and loud enough to get her back , Rock doesn't hit either of those boxes all too well.

Last edited:
You can say the same about Hilde and Setsuka, though. They both have backstories that can be further explored & expanded on.
Hilde gets put on the throne in 1583 at 11 years old, but we don't know anything else between then and 1590, during the third/fourth Siegfried and Nightmare clashing, where Wolfkrone is actually engaged. Stuff happened inbetween, sure, but we don't know what it was, it would have to be all new made story. Same for Setsuka. Her master was slain by Mitsurugi, but other than that? Really nothing known about her, so it would have to be all new stuff too. I'm not saying either is impossible, it's just far less work involved since Tira's detailed history is already written, so it makes a lot more sense for Tira to be included in the game to explain this story while Setsuka and Hilde can ride the waves of DLC.

But honestly, all this doesn't really matter since it's a reboot. They can make Setsuka Sophitia's long lost twin sister if they wanted to.
They could, but they won't. They're not changing history, they're just expanding upon it. I know they called it a reboot, but there are far too many indicators that they're not actually retconning or changing anything to believe otherwise.

You basically described Geralt. In fact the "fast efficient strikes with no wasted movement" are exactly how Witcher developers described his fighting style. The only difference is Geralt is a witcher not a soldier. So do we really need him if his essence is embodied by Geralt
I mean, I'm a huge Hwang fan so of course I'm going to say we really need him. :sc3hwang1:<3

But my obvious bias aside, I think Hwang and Geralt are really only similar in their sword-fighting philosophies. A witcher kills monsters for money and has no allegiance to any kingdom or country. This is the complete opposite of Hwang's patriotism. And going back to fighting styles, Geralt supplements his swordplay with magic while Hwang utilizes the (slightly more realistic) art of taekwondo.

Of course, this is very similar to the clone debate that's been rehashed to death. Someone will say "do we really need Cassandra? We already have a blonde Greek girl with a sword and shield." And of course, the answer from Cassandra fans is "YES, obviously! They're totally different characters." The reality is that if you like these characters (like Hwang, Cassandra, etc.), you appreciate and value what makes them special. If they're not your cup of tea, you're only going to see the superficial similarities they share with other cast members. I really don't think one side is ever going to convince the other, since it's just a matter of perception.

I really don't understand people's issues with preorder bonus characters when they've been waiting for the game for months. Preorder sales really help a game and it's of no additional cost to you. Were you planning on waiting to buy the game until it went on sale? If you're excited for it and plan to play it early, just preorder.

correct me if im wrong but assuming she is a preorder bonus character doesn't that mean she can't be played competitive ? this is really disappointing. i don't get why preorder and DLC characters are treated that way.

story mode is illustrated by Hiroaki Samura
I think you meant Hiroaki Hashimoto (a well known SNK illustrator), Hiroaki Samura is the mangaka of Blade of the Immortal.

Manji.jpg

Okubo did say that we're getting more information before this month ends, and he's going to be at Gamescom so we're definitely getting a reveal then. If not a character reveal then most likely Character Creation.

If there's a team battle, it should only be offline and allow you to handicap it in any way from 1-4. So you can have 2v4, 1v4, etc. Then people that aren't so good can play against their really good friends too. Alternatively, there should be battle conditions you can impose on matches.

Unless they're revealed at Gamescom, I now have it in my mind that as Decapon's EVO troll it will be Cervantes revealed second last and Tira last.

I'm really interested in any information at all on the online system and lobbies. Most of what T7 has created for online was bad, and the game mode for brackets was a blowup. The Arcsys style of lobby is terrible. I want to see how they will be structured and what the size will be, and if it'll allow Spectator Mode. I care much more about that infrastructure than punishing rage quitters, which everyone always seems to harp on. And online practice mode, one of these days...

Bamco put money into working on the online system for their games long enough ago that it could be implemented into this game.

When I talked to Okubo, he suggested Gamescom had a story related reveal, so my guess is Chronicles or whatever it's going to be called this game.
Isn't that mode related to the character creation system? i haven't played it much in sc3 but if thats the case then they definitely need to reveal character creation with it. That would actually make sense, now that i think about it.

We're halfway through the week, a little over a week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want this game now :'(

So I've been looking at the details of Mina's costume and the more I've look at it the more I'm starting to dislike it. I'm probably alone in this but I really think the bikini straps let the elegant design of the constume down, they just look tacky. The costume IMO would look so much better if the black strap bra line was thicker and the straps for her thongs were hidden. I luv me some fan service but these things have the same tacky look that I hated about Ivy's SC4 constume.

Gamescon also fall in the 2 week period between reveals they seem to be working around, not only that it will be I think around 8 weeks before the game hits, which also mean the it will be one of the final 4 reveals (I imagine the 2 weeks before the game hits we will be getting an open beta, it just makes good sense).

So if I had to beat, Gamescon maybe one character, but game modes might take priority.

After two weeks 1 character, most likely Hwag, and so on making 4 characters to be revealed in total and boss characters will be only revealed after the game releases.

Isn't that mode related to the character creation system? i haven't played it much in sc3 but if thats the case then they definitely need to reveal character creation with it. That would actually make sense, now that i think about it.

We're halfway through the week, a little over a week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want this game now :'(

Possibly. We have two other game modes left to reveal. On one hand, maybe CaS is not considered a "mode" and will be bundled with the next reveal, or it is and we get it announced at a later event.

Back