Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

DanteSC3

[14] Master
@ColColton If they're fixing the years, then good on them for establishing continuity, that's an improvement. But there's not much sense in calling it a reboot when they're not actually changing any events, which that's my point, the events are playing out exactly the same as they did the last time, they're not making radical changes, they're not changing the order of events, they're not changing character ages, they're not changing anything that matters. It's all the same. Calling it a new timeline is kind of nonsensical when it's almost exactly the same as the old timeline, which all signs point to yes, it's all going to be the same. The only difference is we're seeing more things play out in-game instead of having to read them from external supplemental materials.

FleshMasher

[13] Hero
Well with time travelling Zasalamel i guess everything is possible?
Even a completely different turn of events and an entirely new timeline?
See also: Astral Chaos.

Klimat

[09] Warrior
Because back then it could be simply a Nightmare skin...
Clearly you have no idea how game development works. Budget-wise there is no difference whatsoever between a model of Inferno that is technically "a Nightmare skin" and a model of Inferno that is technically just Inferno. In the end of the day it's the same model with the same amount of polygons and same textures that took the same amount of time to produce.
...also can you people stop saying this games needs to be a 1 for one of SC1 Gorh exists which is already a huge fucking change.
Some slight and not so slight additions are possible, but they can't really just discard the absolute climax of the main most important storyline of the game they are remaking.

SpellcraftQuill

[14] Master
Anyways my realistic and not-as-excited for guess is that the roster is SC1's - Edgemaster most likely. That makes 18 counting Inferno, but not Edgemaster. Geralt, Talim, Groh, Zas, and probably "Azwel" makes for 23.

Keeping in mind Rock still had an axe which may free his space. Lizzy has the sword and shield back (albeit a different type than what Sophie prefers), so...

Hwang is pretty much replaced with Yun-Seong.

If Rock gets removed there's space for one more. Inferno's absence as playable too also allows for two more. At least Tekken 7 lacked mimics. I could end up seeing Raph and Tira go into those leftover spots Rock and Inferno leave behind. Either one of them or Cassandra could be the bonus character if it's not an early unlock.

Like it or not, we've got to deal with Lizzy.

Stage wise we're set too unless the Astral Chaos is for NPC Inferno only. To me the story mode backgrounds look like a match for the stages we've seen except for the Money Pit... Keep in mind Voldo's SC1 Destined Battle against Ivy was at Siegfried's stage which would be subbed for the Indian Port where we also see the transformation into Nightmare.

Ryuhza

[13] Hero
Lizardman was very low at 30th place
That poll wasn't very fair for Lizardman, as it listed him and Aeon separately, leaving fans confused as to who to vote for. Combine the two vote counts and he's at 26th, just behind Astaroth. And on the more recent Eventhubs poll for potential returns (where he was listed as just Lizardman) he made 21st, overcoming Hwang, Yun Seong, and Amy (poll did not include Sophie or Mitsurugi, as they had already been revealed).

Last edited:

unrepetantbitch

[01] Neophyte
@ColColton If they're fixing the years, then good on them for establishing continuity, that's an improvement. But there's not much sense in calling it a reboot when they're not actually changing any events, which that's my point, the events are playing out exactly the same as they did the last time, they're not making radical changes, they're not changing the order of events, they're not changing character ages, they're not changing anything that matters. It's all the same. Calling it a new timeline is kind of nonsensical when it's almost exactly the same as the old timeline, which all signs point to yes, it's all going to be the same. The only difference is we're seeing more things play out in-game instead of having to read them from external supplemental materials.
How exactly do you know everything that is going to take place in the game's story mode? How exactly do you know all the events are the same? A few snippets from a trailer isn't evidence of anything, really. Of course they show snippets of things we are familiar with, like Siegfriend getting Soul Edge. But we also have an entirely new character thrust into the timeline. We don't know for sure what characters will be active and when. A retelling, or a reboot, is simply a new timeline as default, because it's a restart. They're doing and explaining things all over again, and there will actually be a consistent canon this time, and no more guessing and piecing together things.

Von_Blackhardt

[12] Conqueror
He doesn't know, because nobody does.

I feel like we'll be getting something story-related come gamescom. Maybe we can put this to rest then - in the meantime this is an incredibly pointless back and forth.

But rest assured, whatever we get in terms of story information will probably leave us with more questions than it has answered.

tirakai

[09] Warrior
One minor thing I'd really like to see now is an updated story select screen with the post-e3 reveals added in. Would give a little bit more to speculate about.

Brut4L

[10] Knight
And i want to see the final amount of slots for the game, since markman said that the current slots were not representative of the final game...hell, it could be 24 instead of 23 XD

Reactions: Ave

Windstar

[13] Hero
Nope (New Legends of Project Soul). I feel like they've lost their own timeline a few times over the years, though. You'll see things that say SoulCalibur I took place in 1587, when what it actually is that it started in 1586 and ended in 1587, though I also know there are sources that say SoulCalibur II/III/IV occurred in 1591, while New Legends of Project Soul says 1590, while it's probably more true to say events started in 1590 and ended in 1591, it's still bizarre that all three of those games took place in the same year.
Officially, in the SC1 timeline, the game starts in 1586 after Nightmare's 3 years of terror. That's officially when Kilik begins his Journey and it ends around 1587. From there, SC2 purports that another story takes place from SC1 which is Sieg's redemption arc which goes from 1587 to 1591, before he reverts back into Nightmare.

Officially - and I 've laready mentioned this before, and I cited 4 sources - SC2 takes place in 1591.

Psykai

[09] Warrior
And i want to see the final amount of slots for the game, since markman said that the current slots were not representative of the final game...hell, it could be 24 instead of 23 XD
I know right? When he said that I was trying not to assume it meant we had a larger roster but...

A part of me is super hoping that Bamco are just trolling us and they've planned on giving us a 40+ roster with every character ever since the start... lol

Sadly the leakers have pretty much ruined this fantasy.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
Officially, in the SC1 timeline, the game starts in 1586 after Nightmare's 3 years of terror. That's officially when Kilik begins his Journey and it ends around 1587. From there, SC2 purports that another story takes place from SC1 which is Sieg's redemption arc which goes from 1587 to 1591, before he reverts back into Nightmare.

Officially - and I 've laready mentioned this before, and I cited 4 sources - SC2 takes place in 1591.
I kinda feel like it's possible that they're using New Legends of Project Soul as reference material for SoulCalibur VI, using the timeline from that to centralize all of the games instead of having it mishmashed between titles and having any confusion. I always said 1591 before recently, so I believe it was supposed to be 1591, but as it was mentioned earlier, SoulCalibur V flubbed the math and maybe that's why it's 1590 in New Legends of Project Soul. I dunno. I guess we won't really know until we see exactly how it goes, and maybe not even concretely before SoulCalibur VII, but it's annoying having conflicting data, at any rate.

Umbra4life

[09] Warrior
God, so many people here are so gullible. When one guy says there's a chance that a character like Tira (who is quite obviously a fan favorite unique character and who can easily play a significant role in the story, just as she has previously) could possibly be a preorder character then suddenly everyone agrees that it makes sense. Get real, people.

Go back to the expectations of Hilde, Setsuka and another being DLC.

FluffyQuack

[14] Master
This is what I expect. I'll be very surprised if the roster is much larger than what the current select screen implies. And I've heard enough PR talk to know that they can be sleazy with wording. "More than 20 weapons!" has been said many times in marketing for games to mean 21 weapons.

JohnMcKee

[14] Master
This night I dreamt that they revealed Viola, who was halfway between Amy and Viola (hair turning white, mix of orb and rapier...), that would be interesting to see such a character imho ^^

Also, while I didn't have much faith in the series and choices made, so far Okubo has been on point with what people wanted and the "renewal" the series so needed. I have complete faith in what he is doing and, even if I were not to get my Raphael, I'll be glad to play that game (and I'll find another main). Okubo will please us all, I'm certain!

SpellcraftQuill

[14] Master
Thought Amy w/ rapier and magic could be cool if she waved the former like a magic baton. Maybe she’d be highly reliant on Soul Charge which turns her into Viola?

Still I’d prefer Raph even though the vampirism will likely be gone. Here’s to him being the bonus character. Non-canon but can be teased as freeing Siegfried.

One more thing, we could have a trophy list coming at any point that may spill some beans...

Last edited: