Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Just done a slight modification to the character select screen, replacing the random select and CaS with Amy and Cassandra. Personally when the character select screen is just focused on characters it makes for a more pleasing and complete look. Still think Inferno should have been in the middle.

1539718410818.jpg

Having seen every character's Chronicle of the Soul story...

I can say with confidence that the notion of this game creating a "new timeline" is indeed fallacious. Every character follows their preestablished backstory, motivations, and actions up until just before the events of SCII. The actual legitimate changes are few and far between and so insignificant that I wouldn't be surprised if a few were just products of localization errors in past games. The rest are just additions to vague areas of the story where there was room to flesh out events or interactions. Not only does each character's story fall in-line with the preexisting SCI timeline, some even acknowledge or set-up revelations or developments from SCIII, SCIV, and SCV. Okubo was right to walk back his "reboot" comment. It created a false impression. This game wanted to retell and expand on the existing lore, not restart with a clean slate.

As for our new additions to the roster, they were created to expand on that one tidbit of lore about King Arthur, and Project Soul did a really good job with it. A secret organization working behind the scenes is the perfect fit for a game covering events that have already been established. And the characters themselves are both interesting in their own right and the perfect complement to the Libra of Souls storyline that's supposed to be taking place in the background of SCI's history. There was even some clever writing in smoothly implementing them into the existing story threads, like having the letter Raphael read regarding the Evil Seed and Soul Edge be penned by Azwel. If this game were to be blessed with a sequel, I look forward to what they do with the Aval Organization for other games' plotlines.

Overall, I am quite satisfied.

--Forgon

Not surprising; I guessed from the beginning it was going to be a remake instead of a reboot because there was really no reason to reboot the series. The setting always had a ton of potential due to all the interesting lore surrounding characters like Algol, Zasalamel, Siegfried (who is, appropriately, Wagnerian in narrative), and the idea of having this fantastical, hidden history aspect in the maritime boom of the sixteenth century was always cool and rife with intrigue. However, they were never properly dramatized and it's clear the team was just making it up as it came. Weaving stuff in that becomes important later in the series (like Wolfkrone, Sophitia having a shard of Soul Edge embedded in her body, etc) lends itself to more coherent and consistent storytelling.

i keep hearing alot of people say that there will be a guest character in the season pass but where was this confirmed?

On the topic of the VA's for the npcs, i just heard what sounded like the voice for Hwang as a jobber enemy in Voldo's story, so another bad sign for Hwang.

Lol the download size is 10gb, so low. Ps3 games 2x bigger then that, proves they didn't even try to use power to there advantage no matter how low the budget is.

I don’t think anyone wants to see Patroklos ever again nor do they want to lose their favorite characters for some stupid story.

My guess is SCVII will retell II-IV while VIII will pick up afterwards without the massive time skip. Makes sense.
I do want to see Patroklos and the other characters.
There's no need to sacrifice character's for that. The game could have two parallel stories with a 20 years gap between them.

Lol the download size is 10gb, so low. Ps3 games 2x bigger then that, proves they didn't even try to use power to there advantage no matter how low the budget is.
You do realise that could be the compressed size right?

Not that it proves anything its a fighting game. Fighting games generally aren't that big in size.

It's only speculation, but Okubo did talk about the possibility of a second guest character. Personally, I'd rather see an existing character come back than any guest.
I would much rather see a character like Yun Seong or Amy come back instead of adding another guest. However, I think that the roster of the season pass will be indicative of sales and promotional support for the game post-release. i.e. If the game is selling very well, we may not get a second guest. If it's selling moderately well or below expectations, we'll be seeing another guest character added.

It is small, but it could be compressed like someone else said idk?

I'm downloading it now for PS4, the store says it needs 10/11gb but the actual download is only 7gb... Maybe day 1 patch is the extra 3/4gb?

You do realise that could be the compressed size right?

Not that it proves anything its a fighting game. Fighting games generally aren't that big in size.
Hmm na injustice 2 was at 26gb and now 35gb. Sfv high, tekken is way higher and hey look blazblue at 16gb for a 2d fighting game that's even higher.

Generally i would prefer an original character over a guest.
But the idea of Namco Bandai repeating their collaboration with HBO and bringing Jon Snow would be massive, due to him being posibly available during the final season of the show.
The game could sell a lot more for that.
And honestly, he could be really cool if he uses Ghost as Kasumi or Zwei do with their companions. Also his finisher could be Daeneris coming with her Dragons.
Damn they could bring a ring that emulates the amazing opening, seeing how the toy buildings grow around the arena and the ominous song plays during the battle.

Damn, now i will be disapointed...

Hmm na injustice 2 was at 26gb and now 35gb. Sfv high, tekken is way higher and hey look blazblue at 16gb for a 2d fighting game that's even higher.

Comparing file size from another game doesn't prove anything. First you have to find out if the games data is compressed and second if they've been compressed efficiently. The thing with compression is that it has to unpack for it to give the desired results. This takes a period of time to do and if the engine isn't exactly optimized it's sometimes better to just have stuff like textures uncompressed to reduce loading times. I think we can all agree that the UE4 Tekken 7 is using is not exactly quick yet UE4 SC6 loads lighting fast compared to it. Also this isn't even including the possibility that games like Injustice 2 are using extensive FMV for it's cut scenes where it would have taxed the hardware of the consoles.

Did you just completely ignore my point about compression? The game size can still be bigger we don't even know if its been compressed efficiently.

Even then why does the size even matter we can still have a good fighting game here regardless of size.

Blazblue assuming your talking about Cross tag has 3D environments and models for the lobby's and stages its not all just 2D sprites hence the bigger size.

SFV definitely has a higher install size now but it certainly wasn't a very huge install when the game was originally released. This isn't a very good example because the game has been out for three years at this point.

Tekken also had two years in the arcades with additional content added, One season of DLC consisting of 2 DLC characters including Tekken Bowl and some costumes with another seasons worth of content on the way. Not the best example.

Injustice 2 is probably the best argument you have for this size complaint because Injustice 2 had a fair bit of content in its game on launch.

Ps3 games 2x bigger then that, proves they didn't even try to use power to there advantage no matter how low the budget is.

I probably should've addressed this point in my original response but what the hell does this point even mean? How are they not using "power" to their advantage?

Fighting games tend to be smaller than other genres, and though SC6 has a smaller size than most fighting games, it would contain little to no pre-rendered cutscenes. Tekken 7 would be 24gb smaller if it weren't for the pre-rendered cutscenes. MVC: Infinite would also be 24gb smaller if it weren't for the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Besides the lack of a lot of movie files, I think the reason why it's smaller still is that it has fewer assets than other games. There are fewer characters and fewer stages, and this naturally means a lower size. I very much doubt it has anything to do with utilizing the "power of the hardware," especially since almost all fighting games of this generation run on UE4.

Back