Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The ranking system in this game is already one of the most forgiving I've ever played in. Unless you have a dreadful win rate, you will generally continue to rise in rank until you're above the curve and end up losing more and gaining less for the wins.

If you have a ranking system entirely based upon progression, then it becomes a battle of time investment as opposed to skill. Which this system already caters to up to a certain point.
Haven't seen much of fighting game ranking mechanics in general but it would seem logical to award players rather than punishing them. Hell, just hand them 1-10 points even when losing, it's not like it would matter much. It would, however, help to keep them motivated. Or atleast keep it at zero instead of robbing them of their hard-earned points.

I dont understand why people place any emphasis on rankings at all. The game can not accurately measure a player's skill. Only a very flawed scoring system would even be possible and that is exactly what the game does. Understand that a player's goal and general attitude in a match may not even revolve around securing wins in the first place. If they prioritize learning the system, matchups, strategies, etc, or omit spamming particular moves because they know "it will win", that could heavily affect their win/loss ratio.

At least she has realistic proportions with a bit of anime on top.
Meanwhile all Street Fighter characters are weirdly built cartoons with giant hobbit feet. Eww...
yeah. that's one aspect of the current Street Fighter art style I'm not a fan of. :(

Haven't seen much of fighting game ranking mechanics in general but it would seem logical to award players rather than punishing them. Hell, just hand them 1-10 points even when losing, it's not like it would matter much. It would, however, help to keep them motivated. Or atleast keep it at zero instead of robbing them of their hard-earned points.

Both of those ranking methods don't really work. Give someone no deduction for a loss, and inevitably everyone will reach max rank and it becomes more about who can spend the most time playing (SF 30th anniversary did this and it's silly). You could try having a limitless rank, but good luck making a matching algorithm for that. Gaining points even upon a loss is actually just cruel. That means that person with a lot of free time, who isn't the best, and loses most of his games is eventually going to rank up, and then he's going to lose even harder, rinse repeat. Then he also ceases to have any means to face people of his skill level in ranked, as he can't derank himself.

Ranking modes at their best are trying to categorize people into progressive-based categories, in the hopes of pitting you with people of the same skill level. In an ideal ranking system, once you exceed 51% winrate in your rank, you will steadily climb out of that rank and onto the next. This inevitably requires a loss in points for a loss. Negative reinforcement is just as requires as positive reinforcement, and wins and losses should be treated as such.

Fighting games as a whole are built around this concept. If you're using a move poorly, and you get punished over and over for it, that's negative reinforcement to get you to stop. Negative reinforcement is great for getting people to stop doing something, unfortunately, yes, that also means it is more likely for people to stop playing altogether because of it. Competitive games require critical thinking, and no game design can make a player who can't take losses think critically about them. Games like Overwatch are popular based solely on the fact that people can blame others instead of themselves, which gives them a means to keep playing despite the loss. However, this is what creates the horrible community surrounding games of that sort.

Sadly, there is not some guy at the entrance of the FGC telling players to play to learn, not to play to win. Oh well...

I dont understand why people place any emphasis on rankings at all. The game can not accurately measure a player's skill. Only a very flawed scoring system would even be possible and that is exactly what the game does. Understand that a player's goal and general attitude in a match may not even revolve around securing wins in the first place. If they prioritize learning the system, matchups, strategies, etc, or omit spamming particular moves because they know "it will win", that could heavily affect their win/loss ratio.

I much prefer playing sets myself, but ranking systems when done correctly are mildly effective for putting people in a loose area of where they should be skill-wise. This becomes more true the larger the rank disparity. Most games tend to have a rank people point to where they say you will generally start fighting better players at. I would say C rank and up is probably where SCVI's is.

There's always exceptions, where someone who really shouldn't be at a certain rank manages to get there. Characters are actually an easy thing to point at. If you look at like... Maxi or Voldo, those characters both are overwhelming if you don't know how to deal with them. So it's just a knowledge check, and you can climb really high in ranks by abusing that lack of knowledge as a result. 95% of the Voldos I've faced only know how to run around in Mantis stance, and that's it. Beyond that they know nothing, yet they are still ranked up there.

--

Ranks use for me has always been about fortifying my consistency and encountering oddball methods of play and learning to deal with them. Cause as you said, people will do stupid shit in ranked. You need to be able to learn how to deal with it all, cause ya never know when a tournie player might just go crazy on you.

Learning matchups are best left to sets.

Wtf I seen a penis in mission mode, people got issues. What kind of bs is that, never doing mercenary again if I get characters from random perverts.

I don't give that much importance to Rank tbh, in SC5 i played mostly in Lobbies, but in SC6 Rank in the best when you want to play as much as possible matches. And i wouldn't mind option to only play against real characters, that's all i'm saying lol

Also there is something about Rank it gives you some taste of that Arcade era thing, like there is something in the table if you see what i mean, but yeah as you said if you want to learn Rank isn't the only option, but it's one of those options.

Capcom has gone hard with SFV by taking inspirations from SC and Tekken characters.
Viola > Menat
Ivy > Falke
Steve Fox > Ed
And Balrog got a lot of Steve moves as well
But it's more obvious on Viola/ Menat yeah lol
Amakusa >>Viola
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/amakusa.html
Sin Kiske >> Falke + Groh
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters5/sin-kiske.html
Joe Higashi >> Steve Fox
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters2/joehigashi.html
Guile >> Benimarou >> Paul Phoenix
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/benimaru.html
BTW Benimarou very similar to famius songstress Desireless ("Voyage voyage")
Abel and Ed = clones of General Bison (I have long wanted to see The Dictator in his young years ;) )

Last edited:
Menat is way cooler than Viola, never liked her. Hotter too.
I will say that between Viola and Menat, you have a better sense of Menat's character. You can argue she's not 100% original, but you have an idea who the character is, what's she's about, and where she came from. I hate the "no info = mysterious" angle Namco went with Viola. What Namco failed to realize is if you keep a character "mysterious" for too long, people will get sick of that character and they'll be seen as 1-dimensional. I'd chose Menat over Viola any day. You can say the game's rushed story is to blame for this, but I don't think Xiba, Natsu, and Leixia had that problem. They're awful characters, but players can at least get a picture of who they are.

Last edited:
Tekken once again gets the spotlight and hype. We've been waiting since October and not only did Tekken reveal the entire season 2 pass but they dropped Armor King and Craig Marduk on the spot. Smash revealed Joker right after launch. What gives?

Can someone explain me what's the meaning of the ring after some Raphael's move?

It happens after some of his more silly moves, like the zorro SC move where he removes all clothes, but that looks quite stupid since they just disappear, so the ring accentuates this, making it silly-cool ^^. The other move is where he flies like superman.

Tekken once again gets the spotlight and hype. We've been waiting since October and not only did Tekken reveal the entire season 2 pass but they dropped Armor King and Craig Marduk on the spot. Smash revealed Joker right after launch. What gives?
I can't even get mad about it anymore. It's like that since I dunno... A long time. "You sit quiet because now Tekken is talking!" "You sit quiet because we need sell those Tekken DLC first". Like SC is really no competition for Tekken anyway, they really don't need to additionally belittle SC like that

I can't even get mad about it anymore. It's like that since I dunno... A long time. "You sit quiet because now Tekken is talking!" "You sit quiet because we need sell those Tekken DLC first". Like SC is really no competition for Tekken anyway, they really don't need to additionally belittle SC like that

To be fair, Tekken has been out a while. I'm not sure why you'd assume SCs season pass schedule must release before Tekken's.

Back