Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Even more numbers!

I made a list of player counts on Playstation of SC games compared to other fighting games (using a site which calculates player counts based on public trophy data): link to post

I’m a little confused about this one based on how they calculate data.
Is it based on whether a player has received a trophy or how many types of trophies they received?
As one would count for participation and the other would count for time invested which could be more accurate to determine an active player base.
As we know some games give you a trophy for just turning it on.

And is it in line with the games first month of sales?

And considering this is taken from the June 1st 2019 wouldn’t say it’s that bad.
SC5 is what 5 years old and SC6 is 8 months.
Season 2 could literally make or break this game.
(Which is a scary thought because we don’t even know what’s happening).

Another thing that is frustrating is they don’t seem to be optimistic in communication.
I don’t know if it’s a Japanese thing but project soul seem to really drag their feet over seas when it comes to support.
Is it a language, cultural or a marketing barrier that prevents them from just communicating with us, (Harada has a translator that follows him nearly everywhere) so I’m struggling to see what the problem is.

Asia Leauge is a big example of this.
Even if they told us to get participants up to a certain number, something!
But we aren’t that important it seems.
Which is disappointing because there is a wonderful abundance of talented SC6 players on the western side of the world.

I’m a little confused about this one based on how they calculate data.
Is it based on whether a player has received a trophy or how many types of trophies they received?
As one would count for participation and the other would count for time invested which could be more accurate to determine an active player base.
As we know some games give you a trophy for just turning it on.

And is it in line with the games first month of sales?

And considering this is taken from the June 1st 2019 wouldn’t say it’s that bad.
SC5 is what 5 years old and SC6 is 8 months.
Season 2 could literally make or break this game.
(Which is a scary thought because we don’t even know what’s happening).

Another thing that is frustrating is they don’t seem to be optimistic in communication.
I don’t know if it’s a Japanese thing but project soul seem to really drag their feet over seas when it comes to support.
Is it a language, cultural or a marketing barrier that prevents them from just communicating with us, (Harada has a translator that follows him nearly everywhere) so I’m struggling to see what the problem is.

Asia Leauge is a big example of this.
Even if they told us to get participants up to a certain number, something!
But we aren’t that important it seems.
Which is disappointing because there is a wonderful abundance of talented SC6 players on the western side of the world.
Last year, Sony added a feature which lets you see the exact numbers of players of a game to own a certain trophy, and since you can look up the rarity of trophies, you can use those two numbers to calculate how many people have the game. But it doesn't filter out people getting the game for free (via PS+ for instance) or multiple accounts using the same copy, so some of these numbers can be very off. So I wouldn't trust any of these numbers to be exact, but they give a very rough idea of how well these could have sold.

SC6's numbers don't seem amazing, but it's also worth noting the game's budget looks to have been very small which means they need far fewer copies sold than something like MK11 to hit a profit.

Speaking of SC3, i'm always down AF for a SC collection with all SC games remastered with Online. Especially since we'll be able to own and play the ultimate definitive version of SC3 that was release for Arcade only back then.

And Hell of course with no character creation allowed online for SC3,4 and 5 FFS

Of course not, compadre, I was jsut making a silly joke, that admitedly, was bad, like all my other jokes.
If you ask me, SC3 isn't dead because I still enjoy coming back to it every once in a while.
With past experience it is hard to tell when someone here is joking or being serious. Wasn't sure if you were pulling my leg so I stuck with everything you said at face value.

Everything is cool, though. Also, to give a more detailed answer to why SC6 isn't dead is because like I said people are still playing the game. With my own experience I still find people to fight against online and some of the Discords for SC6 are active. So for me the community keeps the game going. Despite how small the charts are there are still people playing which to me matters.

People are still playing the game. If you believe the game is dead for whatever reason then that is on you.
I think you're missing CarrotWithMeat's meaning here: Karrot's not saying that they agree with Himiteshu that the game is dead, they are just pointing out that you formulated your original response here with syntax that suggests an "if-then statement". We can tell from context that the meaning of your sentence was "Your argument that 'no reveal trailer for the final DLC=SC6 is dead' is wrong." But the way you phrased it was "If your definition of dead is no reveal trailer for the final DLC you are wrong." [emphasis added]. And Karrot pedantically pointed out that this wording suggest a predicate-result relationship, whereby we credit Himiteshu's predicate, in which case, if we made that concession, then the conclusion would be affirmative.

People use that that sentence construction / idiomatic phrasing a lot for rhetorical purposes. For example, imagine two people are on the ocean in a sinking liferaft. One of them says "I think we're going to be fine." And the other person says "If by fine, you mean shark food, then yes, we are going to be fine." with with implied additional commentary ["but your definition of 'fine' is nonsense."]. It looked very much like this was what you might be trying to do with that sentence, because you stuck an "if" at the beginning of that sentence where it really didn't belong. From context, I understood what you meant and I'm sure Karrot did too, but they were just pointing out the ambiguity in your wording, not joining Himiteshu's assessment. Make sense?
But it doesn't filter out people getting the game for free (via PS+ for instance) or multiple accounts using the same copy, so some of these numbers can be very off. So I wouldn't trust any of these numbers to be exact, but they give a very rough idea of how well these could have sold.
If nothing else, it is a decent proxy for the relative market share of the games (at least as regards that one platform). And since the sample size is quite large, one could compare those figures against the sales figures for games on the list which are made by companies who openly disclose their sales figures and arrive at a rough guess as to the sales on that platform for other games.
SC6's numbers don't seem amazing, but it's also worth noting the game's budget looks to have been very small which means they need far fewer copies sold than something like MK11 to hit a profit.
Yup, SCVI was clearly made on a shoe-string budget, as such games are concerned, which I think is a big part of why it's not doing better at this point. But it's probably doing sufficiently well enough to justify Namco's investment, or they wouldn't be patching it as frequently as they have been. Of course, as I said before, it's possible that the ongoing support is more about their effort--alongside other similarly situated publishers and developers in the fighting genre market--to get players to accept that they will be buying these games increasingly in pieces moving forward.
Speaking of SC3, i'm always down AF for a SC collection with all SC games remastered with Online. Especially since we'll be able to own and play the ultimate definitive version of SC3 that was release for Arcade only back then.
I've daydreamed about such a thing for years. But as a realistic matter, it's just not remotely within the vein of a possible thing: remastering and generating net code and matchmaking for that many games would be a massive undertaking (even if your definition of "all SC games", includes "just" SCI-V and excludes Soul Edge, SC:LS, SCIII:AE and SC:BD). It would probably be the single biggest remaster product ever produced in the industry. And as the current discussion is illustrating, the appeal of this franchise is just not broad enough for there to be even a faint hope of that being a profitable endeavour for Namco: even if they sold it at the cost of a standard new release game, I doubt that the company could make back even 5% of what that project would cost. It's a wonderful idea, but yeah, don't hold your breath unless you're just wanting to see stars.
And Hell of course with no character creation allowed online for SC3,4 and 5 FFS
Yeah, man, I think you just need to let that one go. They're in the game and they'll probably be in the next one: the CaS editor is the man hook for the series these days when it comes to casual players (and many quasi-hardcore players for that matter), and matchmaking is hard enough to maintain support for without creating a two-tier system and/or encouraging many players to avoid ranked altogether. Besides, the effect of CaS on online play is negligible, especially at this point when the casual trolls throwing in giant spheres and boxes are mostly gone. And if you're really looking for high-level play that is free of technical issues, online really isn't going to deliver that for you regardless--that is, any time you're playing online, the issues which can impact the outcome of gameplay are much more significant in other areas.

Last edited:
With past experience it is hard to tell when someone here is joking or being serious. Wasn't sure if you were pulling my leg so I stuck with everything you said at face value.

Everything is cool, though. Also, to give a more detailed answer to why SC6 isn't dead is because like I said people are still playing the game. With my own experience I still find people to fight against online and some of the Discords for SC6 are active. So for me the community keeps the game going. Despite how small the charts are there are still people playing which to me matters.

Oh I never had actual problems with finding a duel. A duel at my low, low level, yes, that is a problem, but it's good.
Every time I try to learn something new and that's just awesome. I always love the feeling when after 3 lost fights I finally pull a perfect round against someone who kicked the crap out of me... and then proceed to lose the 5th round leaving my opponent on ~1HP, yeah, it's not like it happens every damn time.

I need to get better xD

This make me dream too hard...
Honestly, perhaps nearing the end of Season 2 there should be an attempt at tweeting the devs regarding something like this.

It would probably be the single biggest remaster product ever produced in the industry. And as the current discussion is illustrating, the appeal of this franchise is just not broad enough for there to be even a faint hope of that being a profitable endeavour for Namco: even if they sold it at the cost of a standard new release game, I doubt that the company could make back even 5% of what that project would cost. It's a wonderful idea, but yeah, don't hold your breath unless you're just wanting to see stars.
Textures aren't always even enhanced in some cases, nor the models. So long as they have the actual files and haven't lost anything crucial then its really not a huge undertaking. (Especially since work on 4&5 is practically not needed.)

Perhaps I'm completely wrong but I believe SC2 remaster is just the highest quality variant of the ports textures and being played at a higher resolution correct me if I'm mistaken though. The biggest undertaking is certainly the net code. I'm pretty sure most people would like the games to keep their visuals rather faithful. I don't think wasting their time on the net code on the games will kill them at all.

Besides, just having the games preserved on a current day PC port at the very least would be worth it to enough fans. In general its a pretty good collection. Soulcalibur as a fighter also just always prone to receiving easy hype to be frank, well so long as they actually make it right.
(Its also a pretty good chance to let people hop in and get into the franchise).

Besides, the effect of CaS on online play is negligible, especially at this point when the casual trolls throwing in giant spheres and boxes are mostly gone. And if you're really looking for high-level technical play that is free of technical issues, online really isn't going to deliver that for you regardless--that is, any time you're playing online, the issues which can impact the outcome of gameplay are much more significant in other areas.

I've already fairly recently came across some of these players (that cover themselves in things obnoxiously large). It doesn't stop it from being aggravating when it happens. There's also the fact that some CAS can actually lag up the game.

Another thing, regardless of online or offline not everyone has the opportunity to just seat up with people, people love the convenience of online no matter what, wanting an ideal perfected online experience is not ridiculous at all. High level technical play is far from the point, you'd still want it to be as perfect as it can be. While this doesn't only apply to CAS it does include them. You can still learn a lot from online play and its good for some learning or putting skills to practice. Wanting it to be perfect is not an excuse to say "just play people".
We have different hours of availability and its still fun for some regardless, especially to play with long distance friends.

Its a utility that we should want to get better, even perfect one day. So I'm not really going to say no to people who dislike CAS for inconsistencies.
Besides, in online you can usually get an idea of lag and when things are going wrong. (thus if anything you're attempting to learn is misleading).

EDIT:
I hate being verbose about things I'm trying to shorten.

Last edited:
This make me dream too hard...
Honestly, perhaps nearing the end of Season 2 there should be an attempt at tweeting the devs regarding something like this.

Textures aren't always even enhanced in some cases, nor the models. So long as they have the actual files and haven't lost anything crucial then its really not a huge undertaking. (Especially since work on 4&5 is practically not needed.)

Perhaps I'm completely wrong but I believe SC2 remaster is just the highest quality variant of the ports textures and being played at a higher resolution correct me if I'm mistaken though. The biggest undertaking is certainly the net code. I'm pretty sure most people would like the games to keep their visuals rather faithful. I don't think wasting their time on the net code on the games will kill them at all.

Besides, just having the games preserved on a current day PC port at the very least would be worth it to enough fans. In general its a pretty good collection. Soulcalibur as a fighter also just always prone to receiving easy hype to be frank, well so long as they actually make it right.
(Its also a pretty good chance to let people hop in and get into the franchise).

I've already fairly recently came across some of these players (that cover themselves in things obnoxiously large). It doesn't stop it from being aggravating when it happens. There's also the fact that some CAS can actually lag up the game.

Another thing, regardless of online or offline not everyone has the opportunity to just seat up with people, people love the convenience of online no matter what, wanting an ideal perfected online experience is not ridiculous at all. High level technical play is far from the point, you'd still want it to be as perfect as it can be. While this doesn't only apply to CAS it does include them. You can still learn a lot from online play and its good for some learning or putting skills to practice. Wanting it to be perfect is not an excuse to say "just play people".
We have different hours of availability and its still fun for some regardless, especially to play with long distance friends.

Its a utility that we should want to get better, even perfect one day. So I'm not really going to say no to people who dislike CAS for inconsistencies.
Besides, in online you can usually get an idea of lag and when things are going wrong. (thus if anything you're attempting to learn is misleading).

EDIT:
I hate being verbose about things I'm trying to shorten.

This and you just mentioned the compet cons, there are also the asthetics cons and cie and i'll add that just for the sake of playing Soul Calibur for SC and not for some random modded game where i have to fight Donald Trump, Some school girl from some anime, some DC or Marvel character or whatever other generic made character, i mean at this point is it really still Soul Calibur? really? Sure maybe the gameplay is still the same but the world would be no more at this point, because fun fact the world is one of the key if not the key aspect that define any game. I can't imagine how garbage a legendary FG series like Street Fighter can turn easily into trash if it will ever add a thing like this in that franchise.

People have the right to don't mind and like this as much as i found it nonsensical (but that's my opinion of course), so i don't see why those who doesn't want this stuff in the game can't have the option to turn it off and be able to play exclusively against SC characters without some non sens "forced mods characters" incorporated into the game.

I'm honestly too surprise that PS weren't aware about all this. But anyway.

This and you just mentioned the compet cons, there are also the asthetics cons and cie and i'll add that just for the sake of playing Soul Calibur for SC and not for some random modded game where i have to fight Donald Trump, Some school girl from some anime, some DC or Marvel character or whatever other generic made character, i mean at this point is it really still Soul Calibur? really? Sure maybe the gameplay is still the same but the world would be no more at this point, because fun fact the world is one of the key if not the key aspect that define any game. I can't imagine how garbage a legendary FG series like Street Fighter can turn easily into trash if it will ever add a thing like this in that franchise.

People have the right to don't mind and like this as much as i found it nonsensical (but that's my opinion of course), so i don't see why those who doesn't want this stuff in the game can't have the option to turn it off and be able to play exclusively against SC characters without some non sens "forced mods characters" incorporated into the game.

I'm honestly too surprise that PS weren't aware about all this. But anyway.

I 100% agree. I tend to avoid mentioning the aesthetic side to it because I imagine a lot of people would largely view that side of the opinion "worthless" even though I genuinely think it has value. I honestly in SC6's case was quite put off because to me CAS just looks ugly, its not very nice to look at especially when the main characters are there looking a million times better and not looking ridiculously out of place.
That how I feel about it anyway, I was playing online and so many people used it online that I just felt put off, to me its also a waste to the effort voice actors go through in the game.

I've missed a lot of voice lines because of CAS just being there, not to mention the CAS dialogue is awfully awkward and there's many things like the camera angles used for them that just in general are of a lesser quality than the main cast.
Though its my opinion, the option to avoid this would be heavily appreciated. I just honestly don't like CAS in any way at all. As far as I'm concerned if the main characters also got unlockable outfits then CAS is pretty much pointless. I feel like them and guests are also to blame for them not trying as hard with their own cast at times too.
Yet again though, just how I see it. Certainly not my cup of tea.

I predict Cass will be revealed....

Soon.
I'm going to literally wing it and say 13th or 20th.
If not then I'm sure they will tell us "soon".

4 hours till they tell us their vision.

I 100% agree. I tend to avoid mentioning the aesthetic side to it because I imagine a lot of people would largely view that side of the opinion "worthless" even though I genuinely think it has value. I honestly in SC6's case was quite put off because to me CAS just looks ugly, its not very nice to look at especially when the main characters are there looking a million times better and not looking ridiculously out of place.
That how I feel about it anyway, I was playing online and so many people used it online that I just felt put off, to me its also a waste to the effort voice actors go through in the game.

I've missed a lot of voice lines because of CAS just being there, not to mention the CAS dialogue is awfully awkward and there's many things like the camera angles used for them that just in general are of a lesser quality than the main cast.
Though its my opinion, the option to avoid this would be heavily appreciated. I just honestly don't like CAS in any way at all. As far as I'm concerned if the main characters also got unlockable outfits then CAS is pretty much pointless. I feel like them and guests are also to blame for them not trying as hard with their own cast at times too.
Yet again though, just how I see it. Certainly not my cup of tea.

I'm going to literally wing it and say 13th or 20th.
If not then I'm sure they will tell us "soon".

4 hours till they tell us their vision.
Wait, what it is this SC event on Youtube ?

Basically they want to be talking about balance for the game and their vision for it.
page 1573 if you want to see what others said they'll be talking about.
But I think that's about it.

I might potentially stay waiting with false hope for Cassandra.

Oh okay. Thanks :) I suppose we will get no news of Cassandra ?

Back