Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Setsuka's got a new pose, too, though. At least I don't recognise it from her moveset/in-game animations.
It looks like this one from a different angel:

SoulCalibur-VI-12-1.jpg

Actually, they're all from the HQ screenshots released i think.
sophtia04_20171121_1513341449.jpg

Recommended_miturugi05_20171121_1513341432.jpg
zp-26973_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_02-22-18_035.jpg
zp-26989_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_02-22-18_013.jpg
zp-21483_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_05-02-18_017.jpg
zp-104729_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_05-31-18_013.jpg
zp-37188_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_07-05-18_011.jpg
zp-104667_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_07-20-18_019.jpg
zp-104661_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_08-06-18_024.jpg
zp-104629_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_08-06-18_007.jpg
zp-104532_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_08-27-18_018.jpg
zp-104484_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_09-12-18_027.jpg
zp-104453_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_09-18-18_046.png
zp-104205_Soulcalibur-VI_2019_02-16-19_019.jpg
zp-104791_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_01-26-18_034.jpg
zp-104769_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_01-26-18_018.jpg
zp-104781_Soulcalibur-VI_2018_01-26-18_010.jpg
zp-260010_Soulcalibur-VI_2019_11-04-19_005-scaled.jpg

Couldn't find the art for characters like Siegfried and Cassandra because they never released their assets, but yea..

Great find! However, Setsuka's pose doesn't fit the screenshot too well imo, even from a different angle. Also, parasol is opened and rests on her side.

Great find! However, Setsuka's pose doesn't fit the screenshot too well imo, even from a different angle. Also, parasol is opened and rests on her side.
Right. They never released her assets either so I'm assuming she had a screenshot with that pose too.

Junichi Nakatsuru says that no one even told him it was gonna happen. lol
That's not altogether surprising: the Olympics are so high profile and have such a unrestricted budget, that the organizers are essentially able to turn out the entire contents of every database of licensed music in existence in search of appropriately majestic orchestrations. I couldn't even attempt to recall how many times in the last twenty years worth of opening ceremonies that I've heard some niche piece of music from a game, or anime, or non-blockbuster film, that I otherwise would never expect to hear in a mainstream context. When money is no object and viewers from the entire world are your target audience, all that matters is selling the tone of grandeur and pageantry and high, noble emotion. It really does become a bit of an equalizer for those working in score and classical music of various mediums.

That said, apparently Japan went whole hog: a massive proportion of the orchestrations at this year's opening ceremony seem to have been from games, rather than just the occasional piece. Of course, that's not super surprising either, since Japan has long been well ahead of the curve in recognizing the quality of score music in games on a more equal level with that produced for other mediums. Some of Nobou Uematsu's music, for example, has been part of standard music curriculum for the Japanese equivalent of elementary schools since, I think, about the turn of the century. So put those two cultures together and I'm not surprised that everything from Chrono trigger to Nier got slipped in there.

But bringing the matter back around to the statement that set me off on this train of thought, I wouldn't have expected Junichi Nakatsuru or anyone involved in the actual production of any of this music to be informed: we're basically talking about one of the most monolithic entertainment organizations in the world (the IOC) and its local partners in the form of the Japanese organizers reaching into a bag with all the world's music, pulling out whatever they like that sounds suitably epic or sweeping, and then throwing money at the licensors with probably not so much as pausing to think as to who it is, let alone contacting them.

Some time to think:

1. I like the ponytail +visor, but it doesn't look noble enough (too much of a commoner). The symmetrical fur trimmed shoal looks good
  2. The white sashes + red ropes look good, and ends up making her look like she's part of Siegfried's crew but that wouldn't fit the lore. The full upper helmet, but still revealing her lips is typical Hilde design. I like the fake "wolf ears" on the top of the helm.
  3. Probably the most simliar to SC4 1p at glance value due to the colors, but the most boring design of the 8.
  4. The one they finished the SC6 design from, with the dark red coat and tiara. Are those orange feathers attached to the tiara?
  5. Not a fan of the Toga nor the moon hook hellm design.
  6. This armor has a miniskirt underneath, but I like the navy blue + silver armor color combo. The helm itself is probably the best out of the 8 options. I like the wolf-head clasp holding the cloak in position.
  7. Single shoulder cloak + single wolf pauldron is alright. The armored mask is less fitting, but you would get to see more of her red hair
  8. Overall a solid design, I think just slightly better than option 7 in nearly every option.
There's obvious weakness to the finalized SC6 Hilde design, but the fancy hairdo + tiara + fur lined noble overcoat is a home run. Its the armor thats weak compared to the other possible concept arts

What I really don't get is why some people would start a room in casual and then leave it alone for hours and hours, never playing and having many players run into the room just to realise that it's dead. Is that trolling or what?

What I really don't get is why some people would start a room in casual and then leave it alone for hours and hours, never playing and having many players run into the room just to realise that it's dead. Is that trolling or what?
From my perspective casual lobbies have never taken off properly, it's either rank or private matches.

From my perspective casual lobbies have never taken off properly, it's either rank or private matches.
Well the lobby system for SC6 in general has never really been that good. It’s honestly a step backwards from what we had in SC4 and 5. Instead of being able to pick a room of your choice after you’ve entered your matchmaking preferences you just get thrown into a random lobby by the time you start your search.

And I still stand by the online of SC6 to be this game’s biggest problem.

I'm sorry, I think I did not get my point across:

Why do people keep their system running for several hours, hosting a room (sometimes with a 2 player limit) that they will never play in (evident by their win/loss stats) and thus keep wasting electricity on it?

I'm sure I cannot be the only who has come across people like this.

Well the lobby system for SC6 in general has never really been that good. It’s honestly a step backwards from what we had in SC4 and 5. Instead of being able to pick a room of your choice after you’ve entered your matchmaking preferences you just get thrown into a random lobby by the time you start your search.

And I still stand by the online of SC6 to be this game’s biggest problem.

I'm not sure I would say it's the biggest problem, but it's certainly problem enough. Especially considering the online/matchmaking functionality of SCV was one of that game's silver linnings.

The bottom row of Hilde designs is fire. I like literally all of them more than what we got in the game. I think I would have liked her final design if it had had a proper helmet, not just the tiara (or maybe the armor break could have somehow broken a helmet into the tiara, lol). The choice to use gold armor was a little gaudy, and the boob molding was a little too exaggerated to feel in character for her. All the designs in the concept art (with the exception of the top right design) seem like more familiar versions of what we usually get with Hilde's design, and the final option they chose was the outlier that didn't match her usual look.

Question regarding the recent tweet on the SC twitter. In the sketch of young Wilhelm, is that a Sorel family crest on his breastplate? It has the two lions/beasts rampant on either side of the sword, just like Raphael's. I'm rusty on the lore at the moment, so I can't remember if a connection was established between the Sorels and the von Krones in the game at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210817-131648_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210817-131648_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 113
yeah i kinda recognized the two lions + sword there too, but didnt think it was a unique sorel family crest until now

Back