Anti-Astaroth

whoever said imcf can punish 66k and 4b is totally wrong, its no where near in range after pushback.

You might be talking about me. And I don't think anyone asked or commented on 4 b (and if they did..it wasn't me..lol) but I actually said that 66k WON'T get hit by imcf...unless they start to try to attack again...hell..generally thats a good generalization with imcf at all. Thats why BB buffering into imcf is good...cuz people tend to try and attack after a BB because normally they will have a large enough window to BB back. I said that 6K will get hit by imcf..but...if u don't get counter with imcf..then who fuckin cares..lol.

And another little trick you can try is 44b+k into med into 2A+B..and if you are about to get hit with something... you can use the guard impact properties of A+B instead of the teleport..just a little trick..nothin more. And thats all you need. honestly its not THAT hard to stay in a decent range once you get there. The problem is that his throw game can wreck and if you are shitty at grapple breaks ..your gonna get bent over the counter.

So as Asta players, who do you feel is the biggest problem against him? Didn't really get a solid answer...

It seems like we're kinda split on Yoshi. Personally, I've never had many problems with Yoshimitsu. His stance game gets completely shut down by Astaroth.

As for Ivy, I'm really starting to see how hard it is for Astaroth. In throw range, you may fall victim to her command throws, which do much more than Asta's. Mid to long range, her moves are much faster.

I have found that against Ivy you MUST 4b her to holy hell. Because like said above her mid to long range moves are faster than yours. You also must be careful of that jumping move she does to get away from your throw attempts (this is the reason I do a lot of A command throws against her).

And her command throw. . . you seem to have to wait for the ENTIRE animation to go away before trying to attack from crouching.

Yoshi, will playing with Asta i haven't personally had many problems with him because he can't out range me and he has to deal with a billion of my throws. But maybe there are other Yoshi's that know other things on fighting Asta :D

If you're trying to do FC 3K when ducking the throws remember that he stands up for 5 frames before getting crouch properties back.
/edit/ Actually I think it's 4, but you get the point.

amy, sophie, ivy are the main ones imo. i personally also find taki and raph a total pain to fight as asta.

I don't know what Asta's biggest problem is, but I can list several major ones that I hate to deal with ... against characters that have:

1. Long range punisher(s)
2. Safe moves that push outside of Asta's throw range (this is because the other person can then still step-G, interrupt, and space the hell out of Asta)
3. Extremely fast pokes (i11 or faster)
4. Bubbles.

If you know a person is going to step and they're a little out of throw, 6K, 6A etc range, 214A MIGHT be a good idea. If they're not gonna step and gonna keep attacking or something, 66B seems to catch people offguard unless you use it a lot(but it's easy to whiff this if they know it's coming or they already plan to step). Bullrush is always a nice move.

I'm not very good though, but that might give you some ideas/things to play around with.

Prob with Asta is that he's very strong character by himself, so most troublesome characters for him are those who can punish his throws well, meaning Cass, Sophie (236B's), Yoshi (FC 3K + Oki), Cervy (WS BB), NM (WS ~NSS b:A), Zasalamel (WS B4), Characters who cant tone down his throw risk reward ratio are fated to die a painful death.
Out of this list I think NM is pretty much crippled by Bullrush, and Asta-Zas is a matchup I've never played.

I don't know what Asta's biggest problem is, but I can list several major ones that I hate to deal with ... against characters that have:

1. Long range punisher(s)
2. Safe moves that push outside of Asta's throw range (this is because the other person can then still step-G, interrupt, and space the hell out of Asta)
3. Extremely fast pokes (i11 or faster)
4. Bubbles.

asta doesnt have much long range
you wanna get inside to about the tip of his throw range and gain your momentum from there

Belle: WR moves kickin ur asta's ass is not a char problem its more user error
yoshi cervy zasaand NM do not pwn asta.

But i beleive asta has a hard time with amy & soph unless theres something i dont know

Well, at least I care to elaborate my words before posting, unlike some nonsense coming from nobody.

What about the Apprentice? I encounter people online that use him and they break every single grab I try with Asta....and then we're at neutral, what's the best thing to do at that point? I tried my fastest moves (6A, 6K, 4B) and they all seem to lose out to Apprentice's quick knockdown move (don't know the notation, sorry). Maybe the lag online prevented me from getting the move out first but I swore there was a time I did the command grab knowing the guy was gonna use the force escape and I was ready to buffer in Asta's fastest move afterwards, 6A,B....seems the 6A didn't have enough range and I got hit. Tried 6K after and I was CH by Apprentice....the only thing I could come up with afterwards was to GI. Is GI/Block really the only option after Apprentice uses force break to escape your grabs?

Also what about Hilde? I know Asta is actually supposed to be good against her, but what do you guys use to stop her god like step? Playing against Ceirnian out here in NorCal, I found that Hilde steps bullrush with the greatest of ease...and then if you anticipate a step and try to use a step killer, he steps and then uses that damn C3A. 3K doesn't seem to track step well at all, 1K works only when I anticipate step really early.....honestly the best thing I could use to stop her step inside was command grabs.

6A is faster than all of apprentices moves except the force pull, but range or TC can still be be an issue, yeah. If you still think they will attack after the auto throw break 6B+K will beat or avoid anything I can think of that SK has minus Ks and pokey Bs. Unfortunately the move I think you are getting hit by (1B) is a stab type B but on the plus it's a good -20 or so so you could block and bullrush till you think he'll use something else. That or just step.

Hilde's something else, if I knew how to beat hilde I'd've said something about it a long time ago. Her C3A even ducks the command grabs after she sidesteps, it's just silly. If you're brave enough to poke after blocking C3A I recommend 4B because it at least lands before the charge Bs will, but that situation is so horribly dangerous anyway...

could i get some help from krayzie since you play both. as a maxi what do i do to asta to stay away from 6K, and make him block low. i remember playing your asta with maxi that time and i wanted to jump off a cliff.

could i get some help from krayzie since you play both. as a maxi what do i do to asta to stay away from 6K, and make him block low. i remember playing your asta with maxi that time and i wanted to jump off a cliff.

Vs Asta with Maxi is already a hard matchup for Maxi because for an Asta player that knows where to interrupt in certain strings of Maxi's, it doesn't leave Maxi much options. With Asta's 6K he can interrupt 3B,A , 3B,K and 3B, PSL...leaving 3B,B as the only string to stop the knee. But 3B,B is unsafe so if you block both, you can get a knee for free (CH 6K if the Maxi tries to do anything after 3B,B) so vs an aggressive Asta it'll just be a guessing game. Making Asta block low with Maxi? GL with that, now that they made all of Maxi's good lows only available in stance the only threats you have are 3A+K and 1K. Good players used to Maxi will block 3A+K on reaction so you gotta get into stance to make him duck. Using Maxi I'd recommend you to just step the bullrush as much as you can, use 1B to stop the bullrush inside and try to step G as well as you can outside so you won't get hit by his keep out tools like 4A, A,B, and 44A.

This is all different online though....so it's different. If you wanna win online vs Asta with Maxi just use 3A+K as much as you can cuz it's totally unseeable online....basically work your way inside and then start your mixups strings.

Im pretty good with cervantes and have beaten asta quite a few times....You really only have to look out for his quick knee attack (which most asta users do when desperate) grabs and that low slashing attack which can be punished by
8k+b

Try:B2 and then A+B to throw him of his game
or....BB,1A

After playing Asta quite some time his moves should be somewhat predictable.

Jump his 1[A]A on the second hit, be decent with grapple breaking against him, fast pokes, sidesteps, moves that are duckable (22_88[A+B], 66B, etc)...

Back