Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Y'all are crazy if you think NRS does women's faces good. It's not sexist. Facts are facts. Are they better than MK9? Abso-fucking-lutely. But they looked like dog shit in that game so not that hard to go up lol Kitana's face is pretty ugly and manly in MKX. And theire male faces are pretty fucked up too if we're being real.

That being said, I think Cassie looks absolutely gorgeous in MK11. Jade and Scarlet look weird, and Sonya looks ugly. Johnny looks good, although his young counterpart still looks old to me. Sub zero and Scorpion are also both ugly unfortunately. Wish they could be cuter.

I would like to think it's leading to something. SCVI is an incredible game, but still marred by a limited budget and time constraints. I think it can be even better post-launch if they put in new resources after all the money this game has made.

I'd rather they just take the money this game has made to make SoulCalibur VII even better, and keep everything, and just add more stuff.

In other words, if SoulCalibur VI is SoulCalibur, then make SoulCalibur VII into SoulCalibur II.

Well, generally the wait between SC games is 3/4 years, which means we can likely expect SCVII by 2021/22 at earliest. Feels really far away.

Granted, the wait for SCVI was a lot longer, because of a lot of factors internally right up Namco not wanting to make it, but I suspect that's a special case. I hope so, too. We don't need another drought.

I do kinda hope with next-gen coming next year, that they'll rerelease SCVI as a launch title with enhanced graphics and features. It'd be the perfect time to rake some extra cash, because there would be no competition, and they can use even more resources for SCVII.

I do kinda hope with next-gen coming next year, that they'll rerelease SCVI as a launch title with enhanced graphics and features

Fat chance of that given purchasing trends, mid console life seems to be the best place for selling fighting games ATM.

Fat chance of that given purchasing trends, mid console life seems to be the best place for selling fighting games ATM.
Hey there’s got to be a fighting game for the beginning of the gen, it's a good time to capitalize. Besides, this gen was marked by everyone porting last-gen games to the new consoles, I don't expect next-gen to be any different. If I could get SCVI on next-gen when I buy the new systems, that'd be nice.

Here's my latest feedback sent to Bamco:
CaS improvement suggestions by Klimat (Part 1):

1). CaS item coloring systems can use a revision to make sure every item can be fully recolored. Currently most items can be fully recolored, but there are some exceptions to this rule where parts of items are either stuck with an unchangeable color, either with an unchangeable detailed texture.

1-A). A good example of an item impossible to fully recolor is 2B’s dress. Here it is fully recolored white by me: (despite the full recoloring on my part, I’m still stuck with black/gray stockings, laces and boot soles. Possible solutions to allow full recoloring would be to either add more recoloring slots on top of maximum of 4 that we have right now, either to group unrecolorable areas of the item together with one of the recoloreble areas (like grouping stockings, laces and boot soles all together with sleeve feathers on 2B’s dress).

CaS improvement suggestions by Klimat (Part 2):

1-B). Good examples of items with unchangeable detailed textures are most of Mi-na’s clothes like Seong Shawl right here fully recolored white by me: (despite the full recoloring on my part, I’m still stuck with gold ornaments and red/pink/green flowers, which significantly limits the usefulness of the item for custom characters). My proposed solution for such cases is to have two versions of the same item: one with pre-built textures and one that is the same model, but with flat untextured surfaces instead.

CaS improvement suggestions by Klimat (Part 3):

2). Another area to improve is the ability to apply patterns to parts of items. It is a great powerful feature, but currently there are some artificial limitations on it that I would like to see removed. For example, it is possible to recolor hair and hair gear (hair ribbons and such), but for some reason it is impossible to apply patterns to both (not being able to texture hair ribbons hurts me the most). The most self-contradictive example is Angel Wigs. If you create a Lost Soul (Winged) character that comes with Angel Wings by default, those wings will be recolorable, but impossible to apply patterns to. On the other hand, if you create a regular human and add the very same Angel Wings manually from the items menu, suddenly you can apply patterns to them no problem. My proposed solution: if something can be recolored, just allow to add patterns to it no exceptions. Get rid of all (or at least most of) the artificial limits.

Bug report:

1). Groh’s “Let order seep into your soul” win pose has no lip animation, Groh just speaks with his mouth shut.

2). Some CaS poses are broken when it comes to characters interacting with their weapons: CaS characters with Nightmare’s style can’t hold their weapons properly during one of the win animations (the one where they hold a weapon right in front), CaS characters with Kilik’s style can’t hold their weapons properly on a loading screen before a battle.
Pretty specific and niche stuff. I've asked for more stage ages ago, also lots of other people definitely did so by now, therefore I see no reason to repeat basic stuff.

P.S. NRS designs are trash. Let's cut off Jacqui's boobs completely and call it feminism, because hating on female form is the most feminist thing to do aparantely. All girls should have bodies of 15 years old boys, yay for progress!

Hey there’s got to be a fighting game for the beginning of the gen, it's a good time to capitalize. Besides, this gen was marked by everyone porting last-gen games to the new consoles, I don't expect next-gen to be any different. If I could get SCVI on next-gen when I buy the new systems, that'd be nice.

Fighting games are still niche and Soul Calibur is niche in that niche. I don't want Soul Calibur to be killed off because the consumer base is too low for Bandai Namco to make a profit. If that happens we all lose. ATM Soul Calibur is back in it's groove and I don't want that momentum stalling or stopping.

Fighting games are still niche and Soul Calibur is niche in that niche. I don't want Soul Calibur to be killed off because the consumer base is too low for Bandai Namco to make a profit. If that happens we all lose. ATM Soul Calibur is back in it's groove and I don't want that momentum stalling or stopping.
What the hell do you mean? SC is high tier and only passed by games like SF and Tekken. Also, the series wouldn't get killed off just because they ported a game to next-gen at launch with some added features. It'd be a nice little money farm.

The thing is, the front of the
Also, the series wouldn't get killed off just because they ported a game to next-gen at launch with some added features. It'd be a nice little money farm.

It's not impossible. Historically Namco has not been big on porting it's games, but SCVI came close enough to the end of this gen that the situation may appear a bit more lucrative for Namco. I also agree that the next game is almost certain to be a long way off. Every one of the five last mainline games in the franchise took a little longer than the one before it to develop. Additionally, Namco has never released a SC game within the first two and half years of a new console's release--not once. The launch cycle of a console is filled up either with ports of recent blockbusters from last gen, games licensed for that console exclusively and funded for that purpose, a smattering of indy games, sports franchises, ect. It's not a good time for a new fighter to drop; first, it's going to be a challenge getting it out that earlier on newer hardware anyway--especially in the case of Namco, who have always preferred to lead the gen with Tekken. Second, there's really not a fighter in existence right now that can be truly monstrously profitable without a decent install base on the console in question.

A port, on the other hand, takes comporably far less resources and can be achieved more quickly--and if the game already remade its costs on the last gen, you can afford the expenditure of the port early in the next gen to position it to get sales over the life of new consoles. The major bottleneck would be the labour; Namco shares some key staff between multiple projects, and I think this is probably a part of the reason why most of its games tend be built for just one generation, with the only ports being HD remakes several generations later. Still, stranger things have happened.

1- Gotta disagree here, personally i like the suspense of not knowing which one is coming and speculating, tho if there are some guest characters i'd like to know in advance.

thats ok for us because we love the series and will have faith that it will do well. but from people new to the series or trying to get in this hurts it a lot. i have several people ask about the dlc and once they were knowledgeable they passed on it. said they will wait and see if its worth it. idk im just thinking on a sales point of view.

Full disclosure I like the following series and game I’m about to compare to Soul calibur

Warnings this will expose Devil May Cry 5
Being objective, I feel like Devil May Cry is a example of them going for a reboot but being too fearful of changing things. They restructured the timeline, changed characters, but essentially they retold the premise of Devil May Cry 3; Tower erects l, they fight on top of tower. Said tower falls...they fight at the bottom of the tower. Don’t make the excuse of them closing plot holes, gameplay was great, Nero was in it this time. This was lazy storytelling. And you write out a new character that was creatively astounding..

Soul calibur hopefully won’t make the same mistake with there second chance to be potentially lazy and not use the new characters, and opportunities to enhance, change what we already know. I’ve played through the original timeline for about 15 years, I want to see things shake up. So far I have no been disappointed, but there’s still a chance they won’t and leave things dead on the floor in fear of upsetting everyone. Or a new character isn’t top tier enough.

Last edited:
@ZionOAS

If you're going to reveal details about a newly released game especially one that was released yesterday you put that in a spoiler tag. I'm not happy with what you've just done as you've spoiled the ending for me.
You know what I completely apologize about that. I normally know better and let my emotions drive me

"The Evil was vanished, so i have nothing to tell you, farewell pofff Ninja disappearing tech"

Damn Taki is just too badass

tenor.gif

Anybody feel the older CaS hairstyles look stiff or something?
Without question--this is definitely an area where the drawbacks of relying heavily on legacy assets shows. They seem to do the bear minimum in importing these objects into the new engine with no touch-up work or new layering or dynamic movement effects. I mean it's a nitpick, and probably all for the best (SC is not the game where you would want to push rendering capabilities of the the hardware if there is any chance it would cause the framerate to dip, of course), but at a minimum I do agree that the age of the hairstyles does show in their blockiness.

Back