Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

It would have been funnier if it featured Patroklos. 2/10. Cassandra isn’t justice enough for fake trailers.
Pat watching the trailer be like...
413778CB-FC55-46DA-802D-B9ABE11E886E.gif

that staff looks super short.
Have you not seen Dragon Ball or the Monkey King in general? His staff can extend to practically infinite length. Hualin’s style from SoulCalibur III really would have been more appropriate for a base than Kilik. If we see Xiba again, I really hope that’s the route they take, as it would be far more interesting.

Have you not seen Dragon Ball or the Monkey King in general? His staff can extend to practically infinite length. Hualin’s style from SoulCalibur III really would have been more appropriate for a base than Kilik. If we see Xiba again, I really hope that’s the route they take, as it would be far more interesting.
I don't know: is he really meant to be a Monkey King analog, or is he just meant to be a monkey-like boy? His standard outfit and moveset aesthetic certainly are meant to ape (forgive the unfortunately confusing, but necessary choice of verb there) simian movement, and the character reeks of goofball irreverence--but again, all of that could just be meant to be suggestive of monkeys in general rather than the Monkey King, right?

Interestingly the tail utilized in Xiba's outfit is pretty clearly that of not a monkey, but rather a ring-tailed lemur: which poses a series of interesting questions: when did Xiba go to Madagascar? How did he find a lemur some twenty times the size of any ever known to exist in the anthropic era? Did he immediately express his sense of affinity for this wild and carefree creature as an expression fo the natural order by killing it and taxiderming portions of its body?

@Rusted Blade I wouldn’t say lemur, but tiger is the motif behind his clothing, something else the Monkey King is often seen sporting. This is also evidenced by his theme song being “A High-Spirited Tiger”. His jacket also has some tiger skins on it, not just the tail.

@Rusted Blade I wouldn’t say lemur, but tiger is the motif behind his clothing, something else the Monkey King is often seen sporting. This is also evidenced by his theme song being “A High-Spirited Tiger”. His jacket also has some tiger skins on it, not just the tail.
Yes, and there are also tiger (or in any event, some large cat) claws. But the tail is consistently shown as black and grey, for unclear reasons...I mean, other than the obvious meta reason: expecting realism and self-consistency from Soulcalibur concept art misses the entire point of what it is and how it is approached.

Yes, and there are also tiger (or in any event, some large cat) claws. But the tail is consistently shown as black and grey, for unclear reasons...I mean, other than the obvious meta reason: expecting realism and self-consistency from Soulcalibur concept art misses the entire point of what it is and how it is approached.

1) The in-game model's texture file shows the tail and the tiger paws as one file. The colouring is done via a mask layer, but nonetheless the artists designed it to be all one animal.
ntxr008.jpg
2) Ring tailed lemurs are geographically isolated to Madagascar. It would be a stretch for Xiba to get his hands on one, even if you throw realism completely out the window.

1) The in-game model's texture file shows the tail and the tiger paws as one file. The colouring is done via a mask layer, but nonetheless the artists designed it to be all one animal.
View attachment 76930
Interesting: thank you for that detail. Doesn't make much sense and it may be more a technical matter regarding the modelling of the object based on the concept art, rather than any artistic decision in it's own right, but it's food for thought. Of course, if it is meant to be one animal, it only raises the confusion factor further, since there is no such thing as an otherwise phenotypically normal tiger with an albino tail.

2) Ring tailed lemurs are geographically isolated to Madagascar. It would be a stretch for Xiba to get his hands on one, even if you throw realism completely out the window.
Yup, that was the main thrust of the very joke that took us down this line of discussion:

Interestingly the tail utilized in Xiba's outfit is pretty clearly that of not a monkey, but rather a ring-tailed lemur: which poses a series of interesting questions: when did Xiba go to Madagascar? How did he find a lemur some twenty times the size of any ever known to exist in the anthropic era? Did he immediately express his sense of affinity for this wild and carefree creature as an expression of the natural order by killing it and taxiderming portions of its body?

;) It's not a great joke, I'll grant you..

Actually, the tail is surprisingly accurate. Tigers have pale undersides, extending from the head of the animal all the way to the tail. Xiba's artwork only shows the underside of the tail, which is why there isn't an apparent orange hue.

In contrast, ring-tailed lemurs (which you mentioned before but I'm too lazy to quote that comment as well) have more consistent rings on their tails (tiger stripes are analogous to human finger prints and zebra stripes in that they are entirely unique to the individual) and look significantly fluffier by comparison.

Some thoughts on the clone-liness of the SC5 newcomers. You can usually tell how a character fights (and by extension what they fight for) just by their grab animations (its why its always featured so prominently in the reveal trailers and why they're generally consistent across release versions)

Leixia and Natsu are very similar to Xianghua/Taki.
Leixia has one new front grab, while Natsu's got a different command grab. Personality wise the gap between Taki/Natsu is more than Xianghua/Lexia

Xiba's got both 2 unique front grabs compared to Kilik, and Pyrrha has 2 unique front grabs and her command grab is different. Pyrrha's the deuteragonist so i'm not surprised the team had put a little more effort to make her unique (and also to not clash with pyrrha omega)

Patroklos has all new grabs, but then again comparing him to Cassandra isn't as strong as the previously mentioned 4.

None of these characters I main, so I can't give a definitive list of their under unique animations
(ie Leixia 6KK, Pyrrha's 1AA/236B) that would help differentiate a CAS of them vs a CAS of their originator.

Back