Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Ha! We wont even let that be an option. If we get nothing next week, they're gonna be in for a hurricane of cherry blossoms. We're waging war.
You guys this year:
EdE4RQBXsAAXs7q.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know if that's the main problem with the in game model. What I like about the concept artwork is that it makes him look like a lovable oaf, unlike in game where he looks obnoxious and irritating.
There's lots of little things that I don't like about Xiba's general presentation, aesthetic, and flavour as a character, but for me it all starts with the moveset: Kong Ryui's Bang Tail (:6::(6)::K:,:B:) has got to be the single dumbest, most asanine looking move that has ever been given a character in any Soulcalibur game--and that is of course quite the contest to prevail over. It's only made more impressive by the fact that he shows up in the same game Zwei and (well, from most people's perspective anyway, since not many will have played Broken Destiny) Dampierre.

And much of Xiba's moveset is like that: slapstick, defying all sense of logic for a person fighting for ther lives (even when judged against the high degree of latitude given for this subject in a Soulcal game) or else at least needlessly over-the-top. Why would they feel the need to replace a perfectly fine, established staff style with that nonsense? I mean, I know the entire line of inquiry can be as easily directed at most of the newcomers in that game, but Xiba is the version which most sticks out to me amongst the near-clones. I don't mind all of his flash, but some of it is so eye-jarringly stupid it's difficult to describe. For me, that's the kernel of genuine annoyance that the rest of the criticisms for his goofball design form around.

I mean that was still just the laziest thing in the series I think. At least Elysium had unique clothes put on Sophitia’s model and a modified moveset for Pyrrha Omega, as well as a unique Critical Edge. Kilik in SoulCalibur V is literally Kilik from SoulCalibur IV with a helmet and a breastplate added. Reused animation for his unique taunt but otherwise fights like Xiba plus one move.
And you didn't even touch upon the main point that you might have responded with there: it's not really Kilik. I mean, as a lore matter it is, but that's not really what the average player cares about: Kilik's moveset was absent, therefore Kilik was absent from that game as far as the average Soulcalibur vet is concerned. Keeping him around to have another mimic (when the game already had not one, but two, including one from another carved-out legacy character) was not something that made his absence as a playable style more defensible: if anything, it was adding insult to injury. If I went to a comedy festival and listened to twenty comics, but two of those comics (who I normally think are great), are just repeating a mish-mash of the jokes of the other 18, I wouldn't be thinking "Oh, thank goodness they found a way to include Anthony and Nikki!"; I would be thinking "Wtf is this shit? I normally love these two, but if they weren't going to be doing their own material, why the hell are they even here? I mean, other than to pad the line-up, obviously."

That's all Kilik is doing in that game: attempting (unsuccessfully) to hide the fact that the roster selection is so thoroughly underwhelming. So is Elyisum, by and large, but as you say, at least they did a pathetic little bit of lip service to her uniqueness with the CE and a couple of move variations. Ugh, that game is such a missed opportunity combination of smart and unbelievably dumb design choices.

Last edited:
I’m probably one of the few who didn’t find the roster in SCV to be that bad. Outside of some missing characters, two versions of Pat and Pyrrha (despite possessing two different fighting styles), and the three mimics, I thought the roster was...okay at best. In regards to the mimics I honestly would have just cut Elysium from the playable roster entirely for someone else and ported most of Kilik’s gameplay from SC4. Edge Master should have just been the only mimic for 5.

Well if i'm honest i wont attack them verbally. I won't be that ungrateful and i don't agree with the accounts that harass and attack Okubo and Yoshie-san. But if we do not get her next week or at least get a comment on the matter, i can't help but start to panic. Mainly because i don't want to wait 40+ more days for her trailer. I hate to think that she's ready and they're just waiting for a "big event" regardless of how far it may be. I really don't want that to be the case.

So if we don't get anything and the silence continues for another week, i'll annoy the hell out of them with the cherry blossom emote. Just to show that we're here and we're still waiting.

Man, these fucks need to chill. The way people go nutz over wanting Setsuka to come back meets Einstein's definition of insanity: they keep saying the same whiny, psychotic shit over and over again while expecting different results. Ain't gonna happen. As agonizing as the wait may be, we'll get Setsuka when we get Setsuka.

Idk if I already posted this. But tbh I don't want random collabs with some shitty chinese game. SNK has the backing of a lot of chinese money, so they can afford to do useless stupid collaborations like random no name FOR HONOR knight DLC
I thought For Honor had a decent player base for an old game (more than tekken 7) at least on Steam

I mean that was still just the laziest thing in the series I think. At least Elysium had unique clothes put on Sophitia’s model and a modified moveset for Pyrrha Omega, as well as a unique Critical Edge. Kilik in SoulCalibur V is literally Kilik from SoulCalibur IV with a helmet and a breastplate added. Reused animation for his unique taunt but otherwise fights like Xiba plus one move.

yeah i think the producer was thinking about innovation in SC5 and trying something new to try to keep things fresh for the community, this backfired as we know people were disappointed to see some of those character disappear and some killed like Cassandra (correct me if im wrong). I dont know how Tekken did on preserving their characters and not killing them and/or replacing but as far as i can tell they have done a good job on that front.

I dont know how Tekken did on preserving their characters and not killing them and/or replacing

They just rewrote the continuity. Kazuya was meant to be dead at the end of Tekken 2 with Jin replacing him, but they brought him back due to fan outcry. You could get away with it back then as you didn't have in depth story with all potential scenarios being what ifs.

Back