Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Setsuka and her inputs might be hard but I wonder if she will at least feel responsive?

I hated Pat so I didn’t bother trying to learn his alpha stuff.

But when I played Hildes story I felt as though I found a character I just could not get the hang of due to her charge mechanic.

Here’s hoping setsuka does not fall into that

Hideo himself said that Setsuka is 4th in height, but she wears those goofy platform Oiran sandals that adds significant height
The right-left order isn't necessarily in height (as you see Natsu is a tall outlier
In SC6 the heights are mostly following the cannon/height chart, but Seong MIna (barely) and Tira (especially) are taller than I expected
View attachment 77487
I'll probably update this with Sets soon
Thing is, due to the way those games are made on a technical level, platform sandals won't really make any difference, just look at Ivy and her heeled boots that don't make her any higher compared to the undressed model.

Setsuka and her inputs might be hard but I wonder if she will at least feel responsive?

I hated Pat so I didn’t bother trying to learn his alpha stuff.

But when I played Hildes story I felt as though I found a character I just could not get the hang of due to her charge mechanic.

Here’s hoping setsuka does not fall into that
Of course it is virtually impossible to say much that is concrete based on the visual ques alone, without knowing the inputs and having an intuitive feel for the frames and timing, but I feel like the gameplay in the trailer did suggest to me that she's, if anything, likely to be more fluid than either her previous appearances or Alpha Pat. Again, impossible to say with certainty, but it seems to me that some of her follow-ups seemed to operate in a fashion suggesting they were simpler strings. Of course, one hopes that her basic counter-hitter core of mechanics is largely in tact.

At the same time, I've never been a big Setsuka fan in terms of gameplay. Don't get me wrong: I love her visual style and appreciate the role she brings into the moveset ecosystem, but she's just one of those styles that feels so wrong in my hands. I kind of get the appeal of the character, because some of the styles I prefer are also counter-hitters in a sense. And yet, she is very idiosyncratic in her inputs, and just generally a very techy character. I just could never manage to realize her potential very well--I think most of us have a character or three that just feel so alien to our natural instincts honed on very different mains. She's definitely that for me, traditionally. But I look at that video and it actually has me wondering if I shouldn't give her another try. Well, in any event, these are questions we can only possibly answer in a couple of days.

Last edited:
generally a very techy character. I just could never manage to realize her potential very well

I boil it down to past games being built around arcade input latency and not taking into account the built in input delay for SC5. Going from SC2, SC4 and SC5 on a PS3 to SC6 on PS4 is like night and day. People bitch about the PS4 hardware delay being the slowest, but in comparison to the PS3 games, a lot of people have forgotten just how bad and unresponsive everything is in those games. Considering the just frames in SC6, I think many of us will find her inputs satisfying rather than frustrating, and if not we can always ask the developers to slightly widen the just frame window. If they're the same size as Geralt's and Zasalamel's just frame commands, I know I will be happy so go and try out their just frame moves to see if you can land them frequently.

So...when do you think the Hwang reveal will be? Sometime this autumn? I was thinking perhaps October as finishing off season 2 when it’s the 2 year anniversary of the game’s launch would be quite neat. But then I’m not sure if there are any planned events in the autumn where an announcement could happen..

I boil it down to past games being built around arcade input latency and not taking into account the built in input delay for SC5. Going from SC2, SC4 and SC5 on a PS3 to SC6 on PS4 is like night and day. People bitch about the PS4 hardware delay being the slowest, but in comparison to the PS3 games, a lot of people have forgotten just how bad and unresponsive everything is in those games. Considering the just frames in SC6, I think many of us will find her inputs satisfying rather than frustrating, and if not we can always ask the developers to slightly widen the just frame window. If they're the same size as Geralt's and Zasalamel's just frame commands, I know I will be happy so go and try out their just frame moves to see if you can land them frequently.
Perhaps, and I'll also enjoy that refinement if that is indeed how it works out. ...Although, candidly, I don't know that the weakness of my historical Setsuka game can be boiled down to only the just frame windows: her flow all around feels very awkward to me, if you follow my admittedly vague wording. But clearly in the right hands she was a solid character in both of her mainline appearances; I had more than one friend who could frustrate with her rhythms, in IV in particular. But putting aside any slightly more forgiving JF windows, it also seems to me like her combo strings feature a significantly increased number of actual hits, which may (or may not) suggest more DPS on average, with slightly more simplified inputs. Of course, I again cannot stress enough that this is the rankest of speculation, based solely on some visual design ques. On this interpretation of what I think I am seeing, I can easily imagine changing my mind completely after ten minutes with the actual controls.

Last edited:
So...when do you think the Hwang reveal will be? Sometime this autumn? I was thinking perhaps October as finishing off season 2 when it’s the 2 year anniversary of the game’s launch would be quite neat. But then I’m not sure if there are any planned events in the autumn where an announcement could happen..

They might have more round table discussion stuff they said. I would say earliest announcement for last character would be in October to coincide with 2 year anniversary of the game.

But the timetable seems more likely for law November release / early December release

I would say we are looking at a late autumn, maybe even early winter, given the recent turn-arounds. Remember that if they are going to do a season three, they will also want to do some internal market research, pre-development, and very early promotional work on that so that they can announce it more or less concurrent with the end of this present season (as they did last time), or at least shortly thereafter. They don't want to give a discouraging message that more content may not be forthcoming if they do in fact plan on producing some. So there's that, on top of whatever content the small skeleton team of COVID-bound workers has to produce in order to end season two with a bang.

Given the fairly well established patterns in terms of timing of content and the tendency towards long periods without clear indication about what is coming when, I think we can sat that 4 months(-ish), maybe even more, is the safest bet in any event. It's not impossible that Hwang is a bit further along than we would expect, but I just can't imagine a quick turn-around on his reveal happening. It's not crazy-bananas as a notion, by any means, but I just think the evidence points firmly away from that.

More reason not to use it for anything other than updates on music.
download (3).jpeg

Xianghua and Kilik kinda look like different people in 2, but got their old designs back afterwards.

At least Mitsurugi and Sophitia looked like that once. So did Mi-Na. But everyone else seems to look the same.

Orherwise the characters from later games kept their later physical appearances.

Also keep in mind Mitsurugi and Sophitia were the original two reveals. And SCV stopped caring about aging once Maxi and Ivy were revealed...

And if mystery Japan person is Kunimitsu for Tekken 7, she probably didn’t age either as she too was frozen like the Williams.

That's because it seems like Japan has an issue with having older female characters in their games. Like it really says a lot with how they went about with SCV when they pretty much removed Sophitia, Taki, Xianghua, Seong-Mina, Talim, and Setsuka, going so far as even replacing Sophitia, Taki, and Xianghua with younger, teenage replacements what with Pyrrha = Sophitia, Natsu = Taki, and Leixia = Xianghua. And yeah we still have Ivy but she stopped aging at 28 (I think) and Tira also can't age either. And I wouldn't be mentioning this had they got rid of chactercters like Mitsurugi, Maxi, and Cervantes (He can't age but he did age since he looked a bit younger in Soul Blade).

Like even in Tekken when they did Tekken Tag Tournament 2, they bring back Michelle and she looks like a late teen to early 20 when she's supposed to be in her 40s. Like she looked like she could be Julia's sister, not her mother (even if adopted) lol.

Like really, the only fighting game I can recall in the modern day that has an older female who actually looks older is Sindel from Mortal Kombat which is an American-made game.

Yeah, I liked that one, too (obviously, duh). While I'm okay with her new hairstyle, I dearly hope that her hairpins/hair ornaments will be seperate ExEq items (without the meh flower), so we'll be able to recreate something similar with the Geisha hairstyle or her SC4 hairstyle.

Yeah I'm hoping the hair ornaments will be separate as well. I think they're doing that with her SC4 look so maybe they'll do it with this hair as well.

That's because it seems like Japan has an issue with having older female characters in their games. Like it really says a lot with how they went about with SCV when they pretty much removed Sophitia, Taki, Xianghua, Seong-Mina, Talim, and Setsuka, going so far as even replacing Sophitia, Taki, and Xianghua with younger, teenage replacements what with Pyrrha = Sophitia, Natsu = Taki, and Leixia = Xianghua. And yeah we still have Ivy but she stopped aging at 28 (I think) and Tira also can't age either. And I wouldn't be mentioning this had they got rid of chactercters like Mitsurugi, Maxi, and Cervantes (He can't age but he did age since he looked a bit younger in Soul Blade).
Well Cervantes acquires a new body that looks similar to his old one after his soul was freed from Astral Chaos during SCV. Which explains why he looks a tad younger compared to his older one from Soul Edge.

And regarding older males that stuck around, Voldo is also one to note. I know we shouldn‘t be questioning logic when it comes to Voldo, but holy hell, the dude is 67 years old and is still here by SCV.

Back