Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

As we've seen with Cass. Setsuka, and Hilde, they usually have an old previous outfit in its entirety and other pieces as CAS items. with this, in mind, I think Hwang will definitely get pieces of his Soul Edge (definitely those boots and headband) and SC1 outfit ( maybe pants, top and armbands). And his SC3 costume in its entirety.
along with his chest tattoo from is 2p outfit in SC1 (likely a sticker in CAS pack F)
I think it's more likely we'll get no extra costume or someone else's costume as extra outfit. I think a huge reason why we got the SC4 1P costumes for Cass, Setsuka, Hilde, and Amy is that SC4 assets hold up really well in SC6. Costumes from SC3 would have to be remade to look good in SC6, and I don't get the impression they have the resources for that. There are not that many new 3D assets in SC6. The stages, the 1P costumes, and a tiny selection of the CAS items are new. Otherwise, it's a lot of re-used stuff from 4, 5, and Lost Swords.

It's because "seong" can mean "star", and the character used in Yun-seong definitely means "star". Much like "snow flower" before him for Setsuka.

Algol and Viola are far more likely to be withheld for SoulCalibur VII.
I've believed from the beginning that Yun-seong is likely to be 'Star', and still do, but (aside from the fact that I think there are some pragmatic elements arguing for Algol or Viola as potentially more marketable characters), there are some real devil's advocate arguments to be made in terms of how Viola in particular might actually be the character with the most intersections with the concept of stars:

• To begin with, we're told that Viola's age is "24 tri-colour stars", whatever the actual f*** that is supposed to mean. But nonsensical and dumb as the statement is without further context (as indeed, the bio information often is in these games), it clearly involves some mythological and astrological references.
    • For starters, there's fact that the 'tri-colour star' wording, combined with Viola's name, is clearly a reference to a plant known as the "Tricolour Viola" (also known as 'heartease' and, interestingly, 'three faces in a hood') a wildflower common throughout parts of Europe and connected for millennia to folk remedies, supposed love potions, and ancient mythology. In the classical Greek tradition, the plant was created by Zeus for his lover Io, after he had to change her into a cow to protect her from his vengeful wife, Hera. Io's story is one of the myths that contributed to the social construction of the constellation Taurus.
    • In some forms of eastern zodiac systems, meanwhile, the twelve star signs are aligned with the 24 cardinal directions, so that number is probably not incidental either.
  • Viola is said to have been born on the feastday of Vesta (its unclear how this is a known fact, given her amnesia, so maybe this is just the day she awakens without memory). In any event, Vesta is also the name of the second largest asteroid in the solar system (it's actually about 10% of all of the mass of the asteroid belt), which is one of the few objects that is not a planet that is large enough to appear like a star in the night sky.
  • Viola is also said to have "learned to read the stars" from a group of "travelers" that she fell in with for a while.
    • We can speculate the travelers may have been Romani, given her mode of dress and the fact that the Romani have often been historically referred to as "travelers" or "the traveling people": it would also make sense that they could have given her the name of Viola, since the viola tricolour wildflower is associated with Romani culture and they may have given her the name in reference to the three stars that can be seen inside her orb. It's probably more likely that all of this is just a smattering of mythological references smashed together somewhat at random by the some writer with an interest in arcane astrological reference, but this narrative would fit together so well that I'm mentioning this pet theory all the same.
    • It might also explain why Viola's "birthday" is the feastday of Vesta, a pagan goddess whose cult faded nearly a millennia and a half previous to the timeframe of the SCV (at least in the real world) but some of whose traditions lived on in folk custom. So the birthday and the name might both be gifts from this temporary family.
  • Viola's weapon and fighting style reference a general concept of astrological/astronomical terms in their names, including 'quattor orbis', 'Ars Planetarium', ect. There's also more than a dozen references to phases of the moon in her costume design, weapon, and voice lines.
  • Several of Viola's voice lines make direct references to stars.
  • Several of her moves are also named after stars or stellar phenomena.
So taking all of this together, it seems clear Viola's design, narrative, and meta-characterstics actually have more references to stars, the zodiac, astrology and myths associated with constellations than any other character. Now, given how surface-level STONE and REPTILE are in their apparent references to Rock and Lizardman/Aeon respectectively, I still think Yun-seong is the more likely candidate for STAR. But I think the above provides some real food for thought, and I felt like much of it has gone unnoticed, so I thought I might provide this devil's advocate insight.

Last edited:
and I felt like much of it has gone unnoticed
It is not that no one does not know this or has not commented on it, it is only disregarded as DLC due to the fact that Amy only became Viola at some point in the end of SC 4, same goes for Algol who only awoke during SC 4. Project Soul can change some events, but I'm on the same team as Dante and would consider that in the next game.

It is not that no one does not know this or has not commented on it, it is only disregarded as DLC due to the fact that Amy only became Viola at some point in the end of SC 4, same goes for Algol who only awoke during SC 4. Project Soul can change some events, but I'm on the same team as Dante and would consider that in the next game.
I didn't say that all of it has gone unnoticed: people certainly have picked up on some of the more obvious elements, but in years of following fan speculation on the character, I'd never heard anyone mention heartsease, or the possible relevance of Io and Vesta, the interconnections that suggest a Romani influence, and some of the other subtler references--at least not until I started mentioning them about a year and half back. So I imagine the full extent of the references has largely gone unnoticed as a general rule (which is why I said "much of it" and not "all"). I hardly can imagine that her move names and voice lines went unnoticed, but as concerns much of the rest of the above, I've never seen it discussed before (happy to be proven wrong about that) and thought I would aggregate all of these details together.

At the same time, I'm familiar with the source of the objections to Viola being included so early in the timeline. In fact, I was one of the first people to make that objection myself in one of my earliest posts here years ago, in the lead up to the game's release when speculation about DLC content was at an all-time high and we knew very little for a fact. But, I've come to view that objection as less ironclad than I once did, as we get deeper into the DLC process and our choices for good characters (those which would bring unique playstyles and aesthetics into the game, and additionally be highly marketable as DLC) become more limited.

Also, considering the references to Viola in Amy's Soul Chronicle, I suspect she is going to be introduced into the reboot narrative much earlier than the original. That could easily be a major plot thread of SCVII, yes, but given Viola is maybe the most popular of the new characters introduced in SCV (backthrow vexations not withstanding), I think she's a possible candidate we should not be counting out when it comes to the last of this game's DLC. She may be trailing after the other likely candidates (Rock, Aeon, Yun-seong, Li Long, Algol), but also....maybe not trailing after all of them? It's hard to know for certain, but I do get the feeling she is probably a bit of a critical darling among the devs, and that taking all of the factors together, she might be bootstrapped into Season 3. She could very well end up being the dark horse of the DLC releases.

Last edited:
I would take Viola over any guest or newcomer
But it's not really that kind of situation. Guests are a big part of why the company can generate enough interest in (and thus income from) a season pass: they don't "replace" other DLC characters--they help to create a context in which those characters can happen, which context very possibly might not otherwise exist, particularly where we are talking about multiple season passes. So it doesn't make sense to put regular roster characters up against them for a spot that they can't reasonably expect to secure. It only really makes sense to consider Viola (or any potential franchise legacy character) against their own kind. In those terms, I would love to have Viola back pretty much more than anybody else left. But in terms of what is likely to happen, I have to admit she only has a fairly outside chance. :[

Honestly, I don't think viola is all too unlikely, nor do I think zwei is. I wouldn't be surprised for viola to rock up, in fact I kind of see it coming. I still think Yun, Viola Rock is super likely, and I'd like to see Aeon as well.

Tekken 7's S3 pass surprised me since they didn't have any guest character (but rather 2 new characters)

Call me jaded but I can’t help but feel like Season 3 was kind of an asspull on their part. Zafina got a really cool rework but nobody really wanted Ganryu. The two newcomers were there to sweeten the pain of a single new stage and frame data add on.

I suspect Season 4 will have a better offering.

Since I find Viola so unlikely, I almost kind of want people to actually start pushing for Viola, just so they can revel in their disappointment. :sc4amy1:

Good..good! Let the hate flow through you! 5B845BF9-2657-46D7-AE85-423CE2C3ED4B.jpeg

I wonder if they could give Hwang a new weapon..... the chinese blade would be more xianghua territory, and the chinese sword seems to make people think yun clone.

Wonder if there is anything they could give him that could fit with his movelist.

I wonder if they could give Hwang a new weapon..... the chinese blade would be more xianghua territory, and the chinese sword seems to make people think yun clone.
Leixia has a weapon in Lost Swords which looks similar to Hwang's Lei Yan, it's a weapon what aesthetic would fits better with him than Yun-seong, since he use something similar in Soul Edge and SC 3.
latest

But you know, the chances he use all or half of YS weapon is pretty high, just see how Setsuka don't get any new weapon, except a Mimoro, which it's a white Ugetsu Kageuchi without the flower sticker.

Back