Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Soucalibur IV's stages are just much more beautifully rendered than SCIII's especially when it comes to the subtlety of the texture work and the depth of the colour fields employed.
My understanding is that we're not talking about how the stages are rendered in game, we are purely talking from a creative standpoint.

And from a creative design standpoint, they are even more varied and thoughtful
This is where I disagree. That's not to say SC4 doesn't knock it out of the park with it's creative varied stages, but in comparison to SC3 it's third in my book. SC2 comes second that is let down with how anemic the stage selection is.

Imo best stages:

SC3=SC5> SC2 >SC6 >>> SC4

between SC3 and 5 it's very close, SC3 had more variety and top notch best art direction while SC5 had stages transitions.

My understanding is that we're not talking about how the stages are rendered in game, we are purely talking from a creative standpoint.
I don't think such a standard is realistic: many elements that are reasonably described as artistic decisions are nevertheless dependent upon the technical framework in which they are implemented. Drawing a clear line between where deicisions are best described in terms of one consideration rather than the other is not always (or even frequently) feasible.

This is where I disagree. That's not to say SC4 doesn't knock it out of the park with it's creative varied stages, but in comparison to SC3 it's third in my book. SC2 comes second that is let down with how anemic the stage selection is.
Well, to each their own, but SCII has fewer stages, there are two or three that are pretty lackluster, and the colour space and textures (even if we are talking about the much-improved HDO variants) don't really grab you like those of the following two games do. Plus they are pretty static (not a knock against them when you review them in isolation, as they are just a product of their time, but it's a relevant factor when you compare them against later games in a broader analysis).

Imo best stages:

SC3=SC5> SC2 >SC6 >>> SC4
Like....do you have glaucoma or something? I only ask because the only way I can begin to make sense of someone stating "SC6 stage design >>> SCIV stage design" is to assume that they have impaired vision and are extremely high, and glaucoma would explain both.

Last edited:

WTF, you look made and not because i have my taste different than yours that you need to be, so chill, and i'm fine and my eyes as super well, probably more than you haha.

And yes SC6 stages are superior than 4, there aren't many stages in 4 that are memorable to me, and there are many that are disgusting in 4, and too many SW stages too. In every Calibur there is barely no stage that i legit "hate", maybe 1 at maximum, in 4 there is like 3 at least lol

I've never heard of it. At that time, I remember Cassandra was adamant that he would not let this character appear in the series anymore.
Rough translation, but it looks like Cassandra was never intended to be in SCV (or any other future games?).

The amount of false rumors and fabrication about how SCV had so much planned is really something. Some people just can't accept the reality and instead come up with shit to help them imagine a better situation.

While SC4 may have better stages graphically I personally feel like in terms of creativity and even in aesthetics it’s a step backwards when you compare it to SC2, 3, and 5. The Phantom Pavilion stage is one stage I did enjoy however, especially when the confetti rains down upon the victor. That was a touch I liked. But the rest of the stages to me just felt rather forgettable, including the stages that came back from 3 into 4.

And I guess this means I’m about to be diagnosed with glaucoma now... Kappa

Rough translation, but it looks like Cassandra was never intended to be in SCV (or any other future games?).

The amount of false rumors and fabrication about how SCV had so much planned is really something. Some people just can't accept the reality and instead come up with shit to help them imagine a better situation.
Is there anyone here who's fluent in Japanese who can translate this? If Cassandra was supposed to be gone from the series for good, then I'm VERY happy SC5 was thrown out the window.

WTF, you look made and not because i have my taste different than yours that you need to be, so chill, and i'm fine and my eyes as super well, probably more than you haha.

And yes SC6 stages are superior than 4, there aren't many stages in 4 that are memorable to me, and there are many that are disgusting in 4, and too many SW stages too. In every Calibur there is barely no stage that i legit "hate", maybe 1 at maximum, in 4 there is like 3 at least lol
I'm sorry man, I didn't mean it to come off so seriously--the joke occured to me straight away and I couldn't resist (I stand by it as a pretty sick burn!). I honestly couldn't disagree with you more: I think that SCVI has easily the most underwhelming stage selection in the history of the franchise, and that this is maybe the game's worst feature--and I believe fan consensus is at least with me on that first part, if not both points. Likewise, I personally think SCIV is the best looking and functioning game with regard to its staging, for the reasons discussed above and many more. But all of that said, it's clearly a very subjective call in some respects, and I wouldn't genuinely tear into somebody for an opinion like that in a way where I intended to give real offense, so please believe that the joke was meant as just that--a joke.

Edit: But just for the sake of approaching this from a more rational, objective perspective, let's do a little thought experiment. If you're open-minded with regard to it, tell me what you think are the five best stages of SCVI, and the five worst stages of Soulcalibur IV?

Last edited:
I'm sorry man, I didn't mean it to come off so seriously--the joke occured to me straight away and I couldn't resist (I stand by it as a pretty sick burn!). I honestly couldn't disagree with you more: I think that SCVI has easily the most underwhelming stage selection in the history of the franchise, and that this is maybe the game's worst feature--and I believe fan consensus is at least with me on that first part, if not both points. Likewise, I personally think SCIV is the best looking and functioning game with regard to its staging, for the reasons discussed above and many more. But all of that said, it's clearly a very subjective call in some respects, and I wouldn't genuinely tear into somebody for an opinion like that in a way where I intended to give real offense, so please believe that the joke was meant as just that--a joke.

Edit: But just for the sake of approaching this from a more rational, objective perspective, let's do a little thought experiment. If you're open-minded with regard to it, tell me what you think are the five best stages of SCVI, and the five worst stages of Soulcalibur IV?

It's ok, but you need to understand that you'll eventually find people that disagree with you. I think Eliza Tekken is the most horrible character in history both gameplay wise, storywise, and design wise, and i know a lot of people who like her, not gonna put a gun on them either, but i'll still stand by my opinion, you know how i'm not a big fan of Groh? but compare to Eliza he's a Diamond if you see what i mean, yup that's the level lol.

To answer your question, that's the funny thing, i can barely put a top 5 stages in SC4 because there aren't 5 that i like, the only stage i really like is the china one, with the horses in backgrouds and all, this is one of the best stages in the franchises, maybe i'll add the Ship stage, i like the Sieg Stage mostly because of the theme, maybe the stage with with the armors with shield is fine too (Raph Amy endings, forget name of stages)

I mean SC6 all stages i can relate to and have a SC identity, there is only the 2B stage that is a bit WTF to SC and still far better than the SW stages. My favorite in the base game is Greek stage, then it's pretty tie and close inbetween most of the stages, then the Desert Stage wich is my least favorite, imo they should've put some background or something to give it more identity, like the Pyramids would've made this stage much more cooler.

Even without considering DLC stages to me SC6 > SC4, with DLC stages it's even more superior.

I don't get it.
Does that mean someone in the dev team was adamant that Cass not return to the roster (maybe officially replaced by the newcomers)?
Or something about Cassandra not letting a broad-sword moveset user appear in the series ?

So are we to take this to mean her cobalt blue concept art from New Legends of Project Soul was not her planned SoulCalibur V appearance? Because that was always my understanding. Granted, there is SoulCalibur IV 1p/2p on the same page, so it could have been an unused SoulCalibur IV design, but...

Soul_Calibur_New_Legends_Of_Project_Soul_110.JPG

So are we to take this to mean her cobalt blue concept art from New Legends of Project Soul was not her planned SoulCalibur V appearance?
I believe that the clothes outside are from SC 4, and those inside that square are those from 3, in short they are conceptual arts. As has been seen, they have thousands of alternative clothing on file that we may never see.

I don't get it.
Does that mean someone in the dev team was adamant that Cass not return to the roster (maybe officially replaced by the newcomers)?
Or something about Cassandra not letting a broad-sword moveset user appear in the series ?
As I understand it, Cassandra would not change weapons, since she would not even appear in the game anymore. They already wanted to replace it, which is quite obvious looking at how much Pyrrha has the same fashion style along with the Sophitia color palettes.

I guess it’s just a knowledge of what we know now combined with what we knew back then, but I find it hard to believe that a completed SoulCalibur V wouldn’t have featured Cassandra as an NPC in the Astral Chaos, at the very least.

Did you guys seen the SFV costume contest, i had this idea before that SC can make something similar, they already do CaS contest, but what about CaS character concept (costumes only change not character creation), and the winners will get their costumes as default in the game, the idea doesn't seem too bad isn't?

Back