Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

@LisaK I would argue that they both filled the role prior to launch. They were both big on the design aspect and also socializing and interviews and all that stuff. I'd even argue that Daishi was more front-facing than Tago. Daishi left first, but Tago was replaced (on Project Soul) too, by a few different people, until eventually Okubo picked up the reins and brought us SoulCalibur VI.

So I suppose this is me grasping at the straws. But my last hope for future content is that Okubo doesn't seem to be gearing up for a cut and run given that he seems to be going to events and cares about the game no matter how thin and dry the content well is...

At least Daishi knew what was visually looks better...
Daishi:
latest
Hoshino:
12.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People only remember Daishi as "boo he destroyed the franchise", but he was responsible for creating the characters from SC III, besides that he was responsible for the design at SC IV/BD. :sc3zas1::sc3tir1::sc3set1::sc5dam1:

Last edited:
Daishi:
latest
Hoshino:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People only remember Daishi as "boo he destroyed the franchise", but he was responsible for creating the characters from SC III, besides that he was responsible for the design at SC IV/BD. :sc3zas1::sc3tir1::sc3set1::sc5dam1:
I love titillation and sex but man, that costume is ugly.

Were they as active or on the scene As Okubo? Or promoting the game in the same sense he has?
Daishi had an official twitter account for SC and he was very active on it, before and after the launch of SC5. Of course, it didn't last that long as support for SC5 got dropped after a few months and his twitter became entirely silent (I think the account is deleted now. Edit: His twitter handle has been taken over by spam). We didn't even get confirmation that Daishi had indeed left Project Soul and Namco until Harada randomly tweeted it much later. Tago is still at Namco as far as I know, but not working on SC.

It's kind of weird that Okubo has become the face for SC6 as he's not nearly as involved as other people on the development of the game. Based on the credits, both Tago and Daishi were more directly involved with SC5 than Okubo has been with SC6. Yoshinori Takahashi is the director on SC6 and we rarely see him. I think he's been in a couple of Japanese streams about the game, but that's it (maybe he doesn't like being in the spotlight). And I think Michinori Ozawa is lead producer on SC6.

Anyway, even if he's not the main guy behind the game, it's still nice to have someone who does interact with the community a lot.

after Daishi dies he was replaced by Masaki Hoshino, but he decided create the infamous Lost Swords and dies left Project Soul in 2017.
I could be wrong, but I wanna say Hoshino got his own SC-focussed twitter account once he was announced to be head of Project Soul. But I think he only tweeted once or twice ever.

He's very much still around, by the way. I'm not sure who much involvement he had, but he's in the credits for SC6 (as Technical Manager).

Not sure it was Tago or Daishi but i think Tago, he was explaining their concept of making Ivy easier to play so more people would play her, one of the most nonsens thing i've ever heard in my entire life.

Were they as active or on the scene As Okubo? Or promoting the game in the same sense he has?

Before the game was Out yes, after the game releases not much.

Wow damn, even in DOA it's rare to see garbage outfit at that lvl.

Daishi:
latest
Hoshino:

Not a fan of Daishi at all correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t he a pro SF player at one point?
SCV lost what was Soulcalibur it just felt like a 3D SF with weapons.
This is not to take away what Daishi did for the series prior, but he should have never been put in the drivers seat to the point he could effect the franchise like that.

SC6 has had a massive mountain to climb because of such a detachment.
To the point where SC6 Isn’t Just judged on its own faults and merits but SC5’s as well.

And the Setsuka design... they couldn’t put her in heels?
The flats look awful.

Not a fan of Daishi at all correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t he a pro SF player at one point?
SCV lost what was Soulcalibur it just felt like a 3D SF with weapons.
This is not to take away what Daishi did for the series prior, but he should have never been put in the drivers seat to the point he could effect the franchise like that.

SC6 has had a massive mountain to climb because of such a detachment.
To the point where SC6 Isn’t Just judged on its own faults and merits but SC5’s as well.

And the Setsuka design... they couldn’t put her in heels?
The flats look awful.
Daishi said in an interview that his favourite fighting game is SF3. I feel that shows quite clearly in the design of SC5.

Daishi may have a better eye for designs as they look while still on paper, but his insistence upon their on-screen depictions leaves way too much to be desired for me. In SCIV and V, everyone looks so clammy and sickly. Literally everyone (not even just the malfested characters) look like they're covered in a thick, sticky layer of cold sweat at all times.

And then there's how the vividness of color ranges from "vibrant as a brick" to "fiery glow" -- and that's fucking it.

Back