Voldo Character Matchups Thread

^ sound advice, thanks for the tip on A+B at the start of the match saying as 80% of Taki's enjoy using 66K straight away... not a problem as you can throw on block anyway.

If you see a 3BA coming from a mile away, jump the second attack with either 9A, 9B, or 9K, take your pick.

4BB can be GI on the second hit

My advice (and pretty much anyone else's advice) would be to practice as her in training mode and learn all of her safe moves and combo strings she can pull off... other than that, "may The Force be with you" *hits self for saying that corny over-used quote* X/.

Its just a buch of b's man.
Guard impact them, side step them. Grab the little bitch.
Amy users hate being slowed down, but if you let them speed up on you, your chances of slowing them down again are slim and limited usually.

Most of amy's moves are high so tech crouch or crouch to dodge most of her moves and watch out for her 6bbb its a 11i high high med move

I am having the worst problems against a good amy. it seems she can go brainless and just attack and step all day.

Main moves I am having problems with
8wr A+B
6bb
66b
4bb

are there reliable ways to punish these?

and after I do 1(k) I can GI the 6bb with her, and if I do BS 1a afterwords 6bb hit me, any good options?

Also what are some good ways to shut down a good amy?

8wr A+B - When your'e at a distance against Amy, be careful with high, as 8wr A+B have Tech Crouch-properties. I think it might be steppable, haven't fought an Amy in ages so don't take my word for it :|

6BB - Not much you can do. It's high, so you can duck it. So on anticipating it, you could duck (although that's very risky). Or if you have fast reflexes, you can duck the second B. I don't think your opponent would ever do 6BBB, but if he/she would, you can punish the third B.

66B - For some reason I forgot if it's steppable or not. Anyway, it's just to block. It's a pretty fast mid that's safe. You might want to practise Just-ukemi.

4BB - This is a good move, as it puts you in FC and it's safe. Not much you can do what I can think of. Just be aware that you're in FC, and Voldos FC/WR-game isn't the best exactly. Throws could be wise to do here.

About options after 1[K]: Well, if you just block her 6BB, your at an advantage. Do you know how frame-advantage works? Anyhow, I would say that GI/block would be your best bet here. You could gamble and do BT B+G_A+G.

I must say some things are definitely not accurate.
Eg. Asta's bullrush is -10, the only character that can punish it is taki with AB~P (and Yoshi with 2:aB for 8dmg

For Sieg's 3, it's different.
He has no guard in SCH stance, and all you have to do is do i15 or faster to beat all his options. The second B of 6B,B will no connect if he only does 3 since it's NCC, but it's safe : -9 on block.

Depends if you like guaranteed damage (AA : 20) or take chances ... (6B : 15, 6BB : 35). I'd say chances are you'll CH so go for 6B,B.

Sry for my lame english skill..

general complains:

how do u handle people who constantly stepping on the weak side of Voldo (right if i remenber) i do use some stuff like 2a but they just eat them and constantly stepping ...
When u are in BS how do u force ur opponent to wake or even hit them when they just roll without rising...

characters specifics :

Cassy :
She's TC most of the time wich rend stuff like BS great moves (a+b, grabs) pretty useless
her B+K is a very pain in the ass u can hit her out of it only with AA consistently wich is pretty poor to prevent the abuse of this shit...
she's pretty safe and Voldo weak step won't help well against her V-moves
BB whoring all time...

There is no hope. You just have to die. Give up, it's the better solution.

PS : Tu crois que je t'ai pas reconnu kenpachi?? haha comme ton pseudo le montre bien, tu es à la dérive !

.... sorry voldo guys, that had to be done. Please help him, he is desesperate :D

Sry for my lame english skill..

general complains:

how do u handle people who constantly stepping on the weak side of Voldo (right if i remenber) i do use some stuff like 2a but they just eat them and constantly stepping ...
When u are in BS how do u force ur opponent to wake or even hit them when they just roll without rising...

characters specifics :

Cassy :
She's TC most of the time wich rend stuff like BS great moves (a+b, grabs) pretty useless
her B+K is a very pain in the ass u can hit her out of it only with AA consistently wich is pretty poor to prevent the abuse of this shit...
she's pretty safe and Voldo weak step won't help well against her V-moves
BB whoring all time...

When people are stepping you constantly, try and make good use of AA. It really is your best anti-right step tool in facing. If you want some other options; try 3A(Decent at catching people stepping to Voldo's right), 2A+B~236, CR K, 1K(Occasionally catches right step), 236 B+K, B+K, 4A+B(I don't really recommend this, though), 66K(Has a weird hitbox and will occasionally hit right steppers), 22K, CR AA(Second hit), and throws. I tested all of these multiple times against an AI Mitsurugi set to left step(Voldo's right).

When people are rolling when you're in BS, your best bet is to hound them with BS 2K. Stay on their ass and keep BS 2K'ing them until they get up. Then do BS 1A and knock them down again :D

Against Cassy, I really can't give you any character specific tips as I don't fight enough good Cassandra's. Just make SURE you punish what you can and step/duck her strings. If you're playing online, use Voldo's 2_8A+K to dodge the strings, as stepping strings online normally is almost impossible with Voldo. B+K abuse is hard to get around, but the second hit is very unsafe when not charged. If you see them charging, do a quick step or 2_8A+K.

Stuff that can be stepped/ducked(Taken from Oof's Evading String Attacks guide)

A*K - Step left.
6A,A,A - Duck
3A,K - Step right.
4A,B - Step
B,K - Duck
2B,B - Step
2B,8B - Step
4B,B:A - Duck the third move.
B+K,{B} - Step
22_88A,A - Duck
33_99K,A - Duck
33_99_66B+K,A,B - Duck
33_99_66B+KA,K - Duck second or Jump third

Stuff you should punish the shit out of:

AK- 6:6B punishable
3A- 6:6B punishable
3AK- 6:6B, 1K, and A+B punishable
1A- 6:6B punishable
3B- 6:6B punishable
2BB- 6:6B, 1K, A+B, 2A+B, 3BB punishable
2B8B etc- Same as above except with even more stuff probably, as Cass has to come down if she whiffs the aerial portion
FC 3B- 6:6B punishable
FC 1B- FC 2A punishable
6K- 6BB punishable
3K- 6:6B and A+B punishable
2K- FC 2A and FC 2K punishable
1K- 6:6B punishable
8K- 6:6B, 1K, A+B, 2A+B, 3BB punishable
BT 2K- 6:6B, A+B punishable
A+B- 6:6B, A+B, 1K, 3BB punishable
8A+BK- FC 2A punishable
B+KB- 6:6B punishable
4B+K- 6:6B punishable
8B+K- 6:6B punishable
4A+K- 6:6B punishable
8A+KK- 6:6B, 1K, A+B, 2A+B, 3BB punishable
44B- 6:6B punishable
88KK- 6:6B, 1K, A+B, 2A+B, 3BB punishable
66B+KAB_66B+KAK- 6:6B punishable
44B+K- 6:6B punishable
AS A- 6:6B punishable
AS AB- 6:6B punishable
AS B- 6:6B and A+B punishable
AS - 6:6B punishable
AS Sidestep A- 6:6B punishable
AS Sidestep AB- 6:6B punishable
AS Sidestep B etc- 6:6B, 1K, A+B, 2A+B, 3BB probably more stuff if Cass whiffs the aerial part
AS Sidestep K- 6:6B and A+B punishable
TW A- 6:6B punishable
TW AB- 6:6B punishable
TW B- 6:6B and A+B punishable
TW - 6:6B punishable

Christ, this took ages to write. Sorry if the punish stuff is cluttered and hard to read.

Vs people that like to step you need to just chip them... If they want to step even after they get chipped you need to setup moves that get CH benefits like 3A WS A and BS 22A. Also in both stances 1A will stop step towards the farther half of its hitbox. Also 4A covers right side and not left I think so you can cover your weak side and then take options from there because its even on block and lots of advantage on hit.

Vs people who want to roll... 2K stops everything. Also you can just wait for them to get up. If they want to keep rolling they will either stop after the 2nd roll and you have to hit them there or they auto stand after the 3rd roll so you can time a move for when the 3rd roll ends and itll hit them as standing. Many opponents dont realize this and if you time it well you can catch people with their hand off the G button. Also in FT 2A+B236 if godlike because you have CR options to stop either side of roll and the followups track so you can train people to take the 2 rolls all the time with that.

Vs Cass your step is better then you think from BT. If she is going to use B,B and you step into BT throw you can get a back throw on her. Her B+K jumps late as hell so unless she is at advantage 2A should beat it before she gets airborne. Also Im fairly sure you get A,A from blocking just the first one free but she can add the 2nd hit on delay to stuff that. Also your midsfrom BT are amazing so use them instead of getting stuffed by TC all day

Anyone interested in turning this into an ACTUAL match-up thread? Lord knows this sub-forum needs more activity.

How do you guys feel about Voldo vs. Kilik? I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to have a hell of a time getting around his Asura, FoTD, 66B, WR B, etc.

^Nope, Algol's 33B is -14 on grd...
Voldo's 6A is i17...

Depending on what character you're fighting Voldo can respond with BS AA even when hit by certain attacks and successfully interrupt the opponent... Frame Data = Good... Depending on range I believe either AA*6B*K would be better for punishing Algol's 33B, AA being the best option... These are some good punishment lists though, thank you...
On note of Amy's AS B, I wouldn't punish that right away, she does have fear advantage there, but AS BB*AS B(mash) can both be punished with 6:6B, actually anything ending in that stupid poke of her's can be punished with 6:6B so be on the lookout for it... Seigfried's SBH K is -22 on grd, 1[K]*A+B can punish it even... Seig's 3{B} is always unsafe and always at least -15, but a clash between Voldo's 6:6B and Sig's SCH K will result in Voldo's favor...

@ Paragon: Voldo vs. Kilik
I believe Kilik beats Voldo in the range department but lacks a good punisher against Voldo and needs to apply mixups for serious damage... If you're Voldo I recommend lots of 3K and 4K against Kilik as a good safe poke, and if you find Kilik on the ground, using 2A+B is great as always... Voldo is weak in the tracking department, so Kilik's 4A*33A*1B step Voldo almost always so responding with TC'ing pokes (like 3K or CR B or 3A) is a good option... Voldo's CR stance is probably the best way to cover ground against Kiliks at range, a serious TC and mixup can be applied between CR B*CR K*CR A+B*CR G, CR B acts as a ranged low (very unsafe but worth it for it's speed and range), CR A+B acts as a SCD option and range killer being a high enforces Kilik and other characters to duck when they see CR in action this move also TJ's although a bit late, and ducking results in CR K the Mid option and a good BS transition, lastly you can always cancel out of CR, being at range Voldo should be safe due to fear advantage and slow long range retaliation... Voldo's 4A can be used to catch some step, as well as BS 22*88A and BS 66A... Kilik's close range game consists of his Throw for high damage mixup, 6A*6b8*K*46B*1K*2K for fast pokes, JMP K*1K*JMP A as jumping options, kB for chip damage and a forced +2 on high blocking opponents, and 4A*1B for tech-stepping... 1K is Kilik's fastest Mid option and beats 2A pokes with it's TJ property, but it is negative on hit... MCHT mixups should be alright on Kilik just use lots of MCHT A+BG properly in that situation... Keep an eye out for what you can punish and avoid being stepped by Kilik as much as possible...

Hey, so this forum's been dead for a while. I thought I'd post here, hopefully someone still checks it out. My voldo has steadily improved from when I started playing him and I use a lot of his good stuff. As I've played better players, the characters I've had trouble with has changed and recently Astaroth has pulled to the forefront.

Problems: in front stance, mixing up doesn't feel effective because my grabs do so much less damage than his. Anytime I do A+B or 1[K] or any other typical mid, I feel like I'm on the losing end of his bullrush/knee & command grab mixup. Usually after 1[K] I reverse mixup with BS A+B vs mids and 1A vs grabs, but against Ast BS A+B is garbage because he uses knee/bullrush so much. None of his main stuff is 66:B punishable, at most I get AA off the knee in theory in practice it rarely works out. Using highs against him is super dangerous cause of all the TC while knee or bullrush.

Normally I use BS mixups heavily, applying BS 1A/66B/3B/grabs. However it's very hard for me to consistently get into BS in aggressive stance near Astaroth. If I'm in BS far from Ast (against many characters I like 2A+B236K, then rolling away to get BS) I'm forced to block a long range attack. Up close, my usual strategies of using BS A+B or BS AA to parry/interrupt are worthless since he uses bullrush/knee so often. The main approach I've had success with is 4A BS BB which beats out the knee that he usually tries.

MC and DR are super dangerous against astaroth because he can grab me out of them.

I should add that I'm playing online. This adds a lot of frustration as many times Ast hits me with long range stuff that is blockable on reaction. Also I'm pretty sure that the delayed version of bullrush (which is very hard for me to deal with, it is -3 to +3 on block and his options are so much more damaging then mine that I always end up losing afterwards) would be gi-able on reaction offline. It also makes it very hard to step knee/bullrush.

I recently played koompbala's astaroth and got annihilated 5-0, I literally can't get a game on him. He's a solid player, but even so against his X he's winning about 2/3 at most against me so clearly my anti-Asta is bad. Any suggestions?

Oh, I forgot to mention also that Asta's oki options are getting me down, he keeps lifting me off the ground doing stuff like that. Against most characters I usually roll rather than tech as their tech traps are a lot more deadly then the chip damage they get if you roll. Against Vader I do the opposite, I always stand immediately. Should I be trying that against Astaroth?

Another I forgot: 2A+B236 options. Getting interrupted with the knee is painful, so sometimes I'm timid about firing these off. But even when I do, I don't get much good because if I follow up with CRB or crA+B I'm in range for a grab mixup and that ends poorly. If I go for CRK then he blocks and then gets Oki against me and I don't do damage or get anywhere. Maybe I should try cancelling more.

Oh, I forgot to mention also that Asta's oki options are getting me down, he keeps lifting me off the ground doing stuff like that. Against most characters I usually roll rather than tech as their tech traps are a lot more deadly then the chip damage they get if you roll. Against Vader I do the opposite, I always stand immediately. Should I be trying that against Astaroth?

Yo, I'm Khent. I don't use Voldo. But I can tell you that Asta has monster oki - among the best in the game. In many situations, you have little choice but to thwart the Asta player's reads since he has the option of using 22*88B or ground pickups if you roll, and standing up right away puts you in a throw mixup. Sometimes you should get up right away, other times you should play dead.

However, I do know that sometimes Voldo should have the option of getting up with a Blind Stance throw depending on the way he's facing when down. That actually evades a ton of shit on wakeup, and could possibly have some applications against Asta as well. Like I said, I don't use Voldo, but I know what he's capable of from fighting him so damn much.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to mix it up more, I was eating a lot of 22B's on the ground not realizing that they weren't part of the combo. Never tried using the BS grab from grounded, I'll give that a shot also.

Back