Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Well you have to strike while the iron is hot....or in this case warm. The hype and excitement won't carry over if the new content a year to get started.

What if instead of Xi Sword and Shield or Axe and Shield, he gets Xi Sword and Axe, and a further hybridization of his moveset and Kratos's. I dont really play as any form of the lizard much, but I'd think that would be a good way to compromise with people who have a preference one way or the other.

As for what hed have in a hypothetical scenario where hes played as a human for a fight or two, I'd think they'd use Sophitia's style. Not only does it seem more "standard," the jolly ol lizard already had it once, with all the fun filled throws fully featured.

And now back to dreaming of Kazuya style while enjoying the fact that Cassandra is finally back.

Hold up, let's be clear about something. That whole "SCV Lizardman has moves reminiscent of Kratos in SC:BD because the latter 'absorbed' them from the former" is your personal theory, correct?
It's not stated per se that Aeon consumed Kratos, but the fact Aeon canonically inherits "the nature of those he consumed. Each time he tasted the blood of new prey, his body and soul were transformed" along with the fact he has some of Kratos's moves and wields two axes make the connection quite obvious.

Just because it's not stated clearly in SCV doesn't mean the hints aren't there for a reason (e.g. Nightmare being Raphael, Viola being Amy).

Hold up, let's be clear about something. That whole "SCV Lizardman has moves reminiscent of Kratos in SC:BD because the latter 'absorbed' them from the former" is your personal theory, correct? I can't recall seeing anything remotely like that in SCV, and although you would know better than me about the lore, the series has had a pretty consistent approach to guest characters: horn them into the narrative in some contrived, silly way (even by Soulcalibur standards) for the game they appear in, and then never mention them again in a later entry. I'd be pretty surprised to learn that they departed from that strategy here, since not only would it involve the usual continuity issues, but they also should not be referencing a character owned by a third party in a game for which the have not licensed said character.

The actual explanation for why Aeon has some of Kratos' moves is pretty simple: development for SCV was under extreme crunch pressure and thus the devs took shortcuts all over the place/made design choices that probably would have been second-guessed at some point if they had time to slow down and reconsider, and the draw of a complete moveset created for a game most fans never saw was too great a lure. I don't think we really need an in-lore explanation for everything in a goofy fighting game context to make it all fit together, but regardless, we should at least be clear where the line between in-game references and fan speculation is. On the other hand, I suspect your response could possibly start with something along the lines of "Actually, in New legends of..."

I do think that we will get something closer to classic Lizardman by far this time around, as regards his playstyle (though my bet is that this time they call him 'Aeon' from the outset). But I don't think it's going to be a purist moveset that completely harkens back to the beginning of the franchise ;indeed, they haven't done that for any character in this game--their moves pull from the entirety of their continuity in the series--and it would be particularly difficult to do that in Lizardman's case.

Rather I think we will get something like a pastiche of his moves from SCI-SCIV, and that even if he starts out with the Xi sword, they may very well accelerate his progression to casting aside the sword and picking up the axe (which as a gameplay matter occurred in the first time in SCIII the first time around) during the narrative of SCVI, as part of the narrative of his losing his humanity and turning against the gods who pretty completely abandoned him to a horrific fate he suffered while in service to them (pretty much a theme in these games: why does anybody become a "holy warrior" exactly? it seems to have some pretty huge occupational risks and no support from your superiors...). And to be honest, I wouldn't rule out some SCV Aeon moves in Lizardman's SCVI Soul Charge arsenal. It would fit with the tone and mechanics decently enough.

The real question for me is, does Aeon start out human in his Soul Chronicle? If he does, whose moveset does he use until he is changed? It wouldn't be Lizardman's with all of his crawling about and animalistic features we can presume are still in the moveset. Maybe Cassandra's? It's sufficiently close enough to what we might expect from a human Aeon, I suppose, but has some definitely genderized/sexualized moves in the most recent iteration that would look odd on Aeon. But honestly, it would be odd to have any character start out their Soul Chronicle fighting without someone else's moveset. So maybe they start the narrative before his transformation, but your first chances to actually fight with him is immediately after, as the cult tests his lethalness? And then his narrative snakes through getting free of the cult, the various different little interactions with other characters (of which I think there are quite a few in the original narrative), attempting to find redemption through faith in the gods, and then ultimately turning his back on them an/or just succumbing to madness and his lizard mind and casting aside the xi sword in favour of the axe in the lead-up to the events originally covered in SCIII.

Well, regardless, I'm sure he'll have a moveset that pulls from across his appearances, likely up to and including some elements from SCV. I actually, as a gameplay matter, would not mind a dual axe approach, as (whatever else you say about his SCV changes, which really do constitute a mostly new and distinct moveset from older Lizardman) this really set him apart from other styles that evolved out of the original sword and shield moveset. But as a stylistic matter, considering this game's fidelity to the classic aesthetics, I think we're getting a sword and shield or axe and shield variant (hopefully both, and hopefully both available for CaS purposes!). But I do think they will accelerate his evolution towards the less human and more unique form of the character.

How much money? Because I'm definitely down for some 'easiest money I ever made.' :)
Hate burst anyone's bubble, but I highly doubt he will get a human form. If he does, it will probably just be a cas using his style, but honestly, it does not make sense for him to be using someone else's style in his own chronicle. Honestly, it'll probably be a set of cutscenes

Hold up, let's be clear about something. That whole "SCV Lizardman has moves reminiscent of Kratos in SC:BD because the latter 'absorbed' them from the former" is your personal theory, correct? I can't recall seeing anything remotely like that in SCV, and although you would know better than me about the lore, the series has had a pretty consistent approach to guest characters: horn them into the narrative in some contrived, silly way (even by Soulcalibur standards) for the game they appear in, and then never mention them again in a later entry. I'd be pretty surprised to learn that they departed from that strategy here, since not only would it involve the usual continuity issues, but they also should not be referencing a character owned by a third party in a game for which the have not licensed said character.
I can't remember if it's explained in SC5 or in the SC5 artbook, but there is lore which says that Aeon consumes some of his opponents and thus gains their abilities, and I could be wrong, but it might even specifically say he did that to a Spartan warrior. So it's heavily implied he consumed Kratos.

I'm extra hesitant to believe Hwang and Lizardman are in the upcoming season pass. One big reason being that Namco must be conflicted on how they'll handle their movesets. Lizardman was unique in SC4, but he still had a fair amount of moves from Sophitia, more so than Cassandra. So they'd definitely try to overhaul a part of his moveset, the same way Namco focused a lot on replacing the moves which Cassandra and Amy shared with Sophitia and Raphael.

But on the other side, you have SC5 Aeon which mostly Kratos. So what do they do? Base it on SC4? Base it on SC5? Base it on both?

And then you have Hwang, who really only had a unique moveset in one game: SC3: AE. Which is something I imagine only a very small part of the fanbase has any experience with. His prior versions were mostly clones of Mitsurugi and Xianghua. They'd probably just go with SC3: AE, but I wonder if that would make fans of his SC1 style disappointed.

But even bigger reasons are that you have more popular characters with more defined movesets. I really think Yun-Seong, Setsuka, and Hilde are the most obvious choices for Namco.

I expect Mr. Yellow absorb death dance & death blade and gimme back meteor throw & pinwheel kick to Yun-seong.
38ikof.gif

Last edited:
So it's heavily implied he consumed Kratos.

I'm going to blow this garbage fan theory right out of the water.

1. Kratos is alive in Norse mythology.
2. Kratos is much older in Norse mythology than he is in the original GOW, SCBD is based off young Kratos.
3. Kratos is so strong that he killed a load of the hardest motherfucking gods in all of Greek mythology so a lowly lizard would be no match for Kratos.

I really have no idea why this fan theory still persists when we have these glaring contradictions that are firmly rooted cannon but for some reason it does. Even with the little information we get from SCBD Kratos was taken from the time period between GOW1 and GOW2 (even though he has Icarus' wings and the Blade of Olympus from GOW2, also the Blades of Chaos instead of the Blades of Athena). That means Kratos went back home at some point during SCBD.

2 axe lizardman or bust. Be cool if they incorporated his tail in his fighting style and also made it bladed or something

Last edited:
I'm going to blow this garbage fan theory right out of the water.

1. Kratos is alive in Norse mythology.
2. Kratos is much older in Norse mythology than he is in the original GOW, SCBD is based off young Kratos.
3. Kratos is so strong that he killed a load of the hardest motherfucking gods in all of Greek mythology so a lowly lizard would be no match for Kratos.

I really have no idea why this fan theory still persists when we have these glaring contradictions that are firmly rooted cannon but for some reason it does. Even with the little information we get from SCBD Kratos was taken from the time period between GOW1 and GOW2 (even though he has Icarus' wings and the Blade of Olympus from GOW2, also the Blades of Chaos instead of the Blades of Athena). That means Kratos went back home at some point during SCBD.
I tried to find the origin of all of this, and I believe this is it:

It says Aeon nom-noms a lot of his opponents to gain their traits and memories, but it doesn't give any hints as to who he could have devoured except for holy warriors dispatched by Hephaestus.

I could see this being a silly little nod from Namco implying he ate Kratos, but even so, it wouldn't be more than a joke. I don't think guest characters are ever truly seen as canon for the franchise. They do try to write stories for them, but it's always inconsequential and never part of the main plot.

I think the main takeaway from this is one of the pictures on the second page I linked. That's a screengrab from the Soul Edge intro but in higher resolution and quality than what's on the disc. Is Namco keeping a super duper high-quality version of the Soul Edge intro as hostage in their vault!?

It says Aeon nom-noms a lot of his opponents to gain their traits and memories, but it doesn't give any hints as to who he could have devoured except for holy warriors dispatched by Hephaestus.

The one who summoned Kratos to the Soul Calibur realm is some random Fygul Cestemus guy so Hephaestus or any other god is out of the equation.

I randomly decided to read through the "universal tactics" guide in the game and I read one part which said CEs deal a lot more damage if your own health is low. I didn't know about this at all and I wanted to test what the difference actually is.

It's easy to check on PC as I can monitor and modify health values with memory editing. The bonus damage kicks in once you're at 30% health (aka 72 health, which also corresponds to the marker on the health bar). At that point you deal +5% damage with the CE. And the lower your health is the higher the bonus damage (up to 20%).

Here are exact numbers I got while testing (these were done while using Cassandra):
  • 1P with 240 health: CE did 80 damage
  • 1P with 73 health: CE did 80 damage
  • 1P with 72 health: CE did 84 damage
  • 1P with 36 health: CE did 88 damage
  • 1P with 1 health: CE did 96 damage
I have no idea if this is something people have already tested, but if not, then here you go.

So according to Koenji's tweet it seems some effects that seem to be cosmetic or something for season 2 have been found in the Cassandra update, as well as being able to be used on PC and seen by other players when used. Sounds like they forgot to keep that separate or something at that rate, but hey, some more cosmetics are nice if that's the case. Hopefully some are new Soul Charge types besides the 3 we have, since I do kinda feel like 3 is a bit lacking, even if it makes sense. Same goes for the lack of good hit effects.

It doesn’t even have to mean that he literally consumed Kratos, like ate him whole, but that he got a bit of his flesh. Which is very believable a scenario, as bitey as Aeon is.

There is nothing to back this up and if he did Aeon would be dead like everyone else who crossed Kratos' path. The funny thing is that if the assumption is based on Aeon flying and dual wielding axes then here's some trivia for you that the wings are ripped from Icarus and Kratos wields two chain blades not axes. Is Aeon getting powers from dried blood now? Also within the SC5 biography of Aeon the designer specifically mentioned that he wanted Aeon design to be a chimera with the hinted possibility that his fire breathing technique may have come from a dragon. Aeon eats beasts and well as humans so there are way more plausible possibilities than Aeon chewing on the flesh of a non cannon guest demi god character and licking the dried blood off the wings of Icarus who died in GOW2.

So... I was editing one of my Nightmares outfits, but, all over sudden, his claw starts to act strange 0_0
Did someone also have this problem or im only one who "blessed" with this gift?

So, about Nightmare's "claw problems"... I watched FluffyQuack's stream and then i noticed a same claw problem with Nightmare from online match... This is a common problem with custom nightmares in 1.50 update, and i'm just late to notice that? 0_0

Back