Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

EGMWY4pX0AETXJh.jpg

Whoa, anyone check out this Sophitia artwork by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau?

No it happened to the river stage as well as those were the two biggest offenders. I think the Eurydice stage got expanded as well (I dunno I didn't pay too much attention to the specifics as all I was bothered about was bigger stages) but some remained the same due to stage elements making it timely and costly to adjust hence why the grassland and Geralt's stages are still painfully small.

EDIT:

Internet memory hole makes it a god damn nightmare to find old information but here is an article on the matter of stages being made bigger.

View attachment 67247
Oh, how could we all forget that same update which made GIing a death wish (until 1.40) and brought Azwel back to the top of the game?

Well, at least Voldo got that 3K buff which was very welcome. :D

Yeah, it's all about the moveset for me. I've been a strong Hwang supporter but if, hypothetically speaking, Yun-seong was revealed instead of Hwang but Yun-seong instead inherits Hwang's moveset then I'm all aboard the Yun-seong hype train. Hwang can rot for all I care because the moveset I want has come back. :sc2ass2:

I’m a “casual” by the definition of I don’t pursue the game as a lifestyle, I don’t do tournaments, I don’t do frame data, or anything of that nature, so you could say that, but at the same time, I would disagree with that notion, as I do make it a point to learn all the characters in each game to have fun with and appreciate what everyone brings to the table.

The moves are part of the identity, which is why I’m a bit contrary to some of the more over the top gimmicks that characters have gotten that they truly don’t need, in my opinion. Like Cassandra getting Divine Force while Sophitia, the far more devout holy warrior, remains mostly normal. Sophitia’s new move is along the Divine Force line, looks like, but it would have been far more appropriate to augment her entire moveset than it would to just get one new move for it.

I’m aware that even one new move, if it’s good enough, can change strategy and add more to a character, sure, but a big part of me doubts that these moves are really going to have a large effect across the board. The mechanics changes coming to Season Two seem more apt to do that, assuming as it appears that Reversal Edge will either be changed or a side option added, for example.

All that said, however, I’m still far more looking forward to seeing Hwang than all these new moves. Hwang, with Hwang moves, hopefullly, without some new sparkly over the top nonsense added too. In the event we did get Yun-seong instead, which I doubt, but if we do, then I’d hope he keeps his moves and doesn’t steal from Hwang. It just wouldn’t be right.

While I agree for the most part, moves do make or break of a characters presents and functionality.
Hilde is a prime example, great concept of a character cheap ass moveset.

Knowing frames isn’t essential but knowing basics not only improves gameplay but adds way more depth.
It’s hard putting into words a “gotcha” moment on a i12/i14 punish <3

I’m really looking forward to Hwang too but I really hope he has Yun’s kick game.
Yun’s kicks was superior in 4 that counter sequence from crane stance!!!
Or his 236KK when he kicks you up in the air and somersaults behind them and kicks them in the back of the head LOL!
Damn I miss that kid!

As for the sisters they’re fine as they are Cassandra feels and plays like a triump card for the gods especially regarding her story.
The only thing that irks me is Cassie was flexible and aggressive in SC3 in 6 she feels kinda tekkenised “stiff” (having to plan a sequence of attacks instead of just freely reacting to your opponent).

The new moves look amazing Astaroth’s scares me though!
And is that an unseeable low Xianghua has (Lord!!!!)

Last edited:
I think what makes the movelist changes somewhat underwhelming is that we lack the context for these new moves.

There is clearly a new system in place to use these moves, so that is easily the more interesting thing that could be revealed

i think they made it so you can be defensive and offensive with soul charge. soul charge being more flexible is exciting as fuk

I think it's sort of funny in a grim way how the game is bringing back another mechanic from SC5. Not that I hate the brave edge thing, but it does amuse me how much hate that game got but now people wanted a feature from it to come back

Brave Edge was unquestionably superior to Reversal Edge and Soul Charge, though. SoulCalibur V, the game, was a very solid and fun experience, the only thing they needed to fix was make Guard Impact not cost meter and nerf Just Guard a tad. The roster and the general incompleteness were the problems, not the mechanics. Even the Critical Edges of SoulCalibur V were better than the ones in SoulCalibur VI.

Back