Voldo Match video and discussion

As far as those recent match vids...

I saw some good use of 6:6B and some SCC -- =) Very cool matches ~

-Manta-

Edit: In all honesty, it isn't even so much that I'm embarrassed of the vids, but after watching them I've realized the only person the vids are going to help is me so I don't think there's anything worth posting yet. I'm even worse than I thought, haha, even the matches I win make me cringe to watch. Watching them has, however, made me more aware of just how predictable and repetitive I am on the attack. I was already well aware of my defensive shortcomings but I overuse BB and 66B even more than I'd thought, and don't use nearly enough 2A+B, 1K and CR K, mixups or combos. In fact, at this point I'd say the only thing I have down is my throw game. I hope to have something worth contributing in the next few weeks.

enkindu: i was watching ur vids again an noticed u dont use 6:6 B, how come? i ask bc it's a great move tht i punish with, an it causes some serious dmg with combos after it. u have a good voldo, wish i hd a 360 so i could test mine against it. but jus curious.

To be honest, you can do very well with Voldo without ANY 6:6B.

I think I placed at NEC9 without any 6:6B.

Do you mean no 6:6B outside of combos? I use 6:6B mostly when it is free on block or whiff. In a tournament setting, you wont have many opportunities to use 6:6B if your opponents are playing safe. Voldo will also be in other stances for a bit each match which further limits 6:6B use...but in combos and oki that move is golden.

I use 6:6B mostly when it is free on block or whiff. In a tournament setting, you wont have many opportunities to use 6:6B if your opponents are playing safe. Voldo will also be in other stances for a bit each match which further limits 6:6B use...but in combos and oki that move is golden.

thats pretty much what i was getting at. that move is great for combos galore. but enkindu's vids i didnt see much use of this move, granted they were pretty old vids.

You know, after some thought, I figure at least the matches against ZeroEffect's Talim might be worth posting. I still played horrendously but if nothing else, newer players will be able to watch and hopefully learn a lot of Voldo don'ts, as there will be many of them.

If people want to give constructive (or destructive for that matter, ha, don't really care) criticism or advice feel free but I'm already aware of most of the things I'm doing wrong.

I consistently attack at disadvantage, I often throw moves that I know will not hit/reach the opponent in hopes of baiting them which works for me far less than it works against me, my sidestep game is horrible, I can't shake stuns to save my life and instead of doing it on reaction I often eat moves because I throw out a GI in anticipation of a move that then does not come.

And then, as far as Voldo moves go, you'll notice throughout the match that I whore out BB and 66B way way more than I should *and*, to make it worse, do it in a repetitive and predictable fashion. I also overuse 1A (especially when I should be following up 66B counterhits with 2A+B and then maybe CR K) and rising from crouch B, and ignore some of his best moves like 2A+B, 1K and CR K way too much. I also don't combo even though I know the combos, and just play simply and repetitively overall.

Basically just don't play like this, kids!

This is my first set against ZeroEffect's Talim and my first set of matches that day, and he wins all three rather easily.

I come back in this set and turn the tables, winning all the matches in this set

These were the last recorded matches of the day as the battery on the camera was dying, and me and Zack (Zero) split the last four matches 50/50

Make sure you guys watch these in high quality as they look *muuuuuuch* better that way.

*laughs* It bothers me less than you think. Sure it bugs me a bit but mostly it's just that I've noticed any self aggrandizement or boasting usually gets you a lot of egotistical players trying to break you down and tell you how you're not as great as you think and, invariably, how you're not as good as they are. I'm saving them the trouble because I have a strict policy of not bragging about shit until I *know* I'm great, and I've got a long way to go.

I'm still hyped about the game and getting better, though. I've improved each week and will continue to do so, and in recognizing my mistakes I work towards correcting them. The bigger a deal I make about the shit I'm screwing up, the more it makes me work to fix it.

Basically I'm not *discouraged* by my performance, it's actually encouraging me.

Edit: I somehow just noticed the post that *this* post was responding too was removed, which makes this post sort of awkward looking, haha. Awkwardness=greatness

I only watched the first vid so far but I'm damn impressed. I've seen really good Voldo's in other match vids online but stylistically you play the most like how I want to play him, at least from what I've seen so far.

thanks for the compliment Sporko.

ive been playing Voldo all along but i dont post strat or join in on discussion, maybe i should. i honestly dont even browse the voldo soul arena that much except for frame data. but i have a good idea of the mindset one needs to play a character like voldo. ive mained him since SC1, 2 and 4.

As scrubby as I look in the videos I posted, I'm glad they were recorded and glad they were uploaded. Watching those videos is what finally clued me in to just how much I was whoring a few moves and not at *all* taking advantage of Voldo's arsenal, and a lot of it was simply an unwillingness to take an hour or two in training mode and really put to memory the inputs, as I was always trying too hard to win my matches to practice when playing against other people. Having done that, I already feel a lot more well rounded and adding 2A+B, CR B or K gave me the mixup I was lacking when not in blindstance. When Khent finds the time in his schedule (no rush if you're reading this bud, your job provides enough stress as it is, take your time) I should have two sessions worth of match videos to put up

Bunch of Video from my China Calibur trip on winter vacation. some are really casually, check it out.

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Cass(BK) being raped

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Mitsu(YouLi) 5~6

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Mitsu(YouLi) 4

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Mitsu(YouLi) 3

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Mitsu(YouLi) 2

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Mitsu(YouLi) 1

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs NM(ZXX)4

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs NM(ZXX)3

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs NM(ZXX)2

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs NM(ZXX)1

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Maxi(yuki)6

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Maxi(yuki)‰5

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Maxi(yuki)‰4

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Maxi(yuki)‰3

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Maxi(yuki)‰1-2

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs IVY(IC)

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs AS(Victor)

Voldo(Fiendchi) vs Taki(LL)

That was the most amazing ass-clash I ever saw. "Voldo on vacation, uh!"

I didn´t expect for you guys to use CR B so much, with it being unsafe and all. I can´t remember seeing 2A+B CR K, at least not very often. I do tend to somewhat abuse that move usually.
Sporko you had a really nice CF game and cool use of 1B. Great vids :)

Here ya go, Charles K. Landslidington

Khent had to cut one of the remaining four matches for time constraints, and that was a match you won, so I just wanted to put that out there.

Vids from the 1/24 practice session.

I'd like to preface these with the fact that I was playing somewhat poorly that night, and for whatever reason ( I don't want to make excuses) my reaction time and, more noticably, hand speed/coordination was off (This is best evidenced in the last round of the set against Ivy, where I rang myself out by pressing K instead of B while in mantis crawl, haha)

Back